1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxman16. Show soxman16's posts

Drew and Lowell positive about their health

They both seem very positive about their health and progressing well.

This is great news and key for the SOX this year!! We need both of these guys in the lineup as much as possible and full strength if we are to contend in the AL East this year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from txHeat. Show txHeat's posts

I believe Lowell but I don't believe Drew who has a career filled with injuries and missed games for all kinds of ailments. How much you want to bet that Drew starts the season on the DL?????

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

txHeat, is that fair? Assuming you're a sox fan, all of those various ailments happened when Drew was in LA. So why dont we let the LA fans hate him for that? If you only judge what JD has done since being in Boston, its hard to dismiss him so easily.

In 2007 , he got off to a dismal start because his son was battling for his life in the hospital, leaving JD a bit distracted. Forgivable?

Then down the stretch in 2007, he got so hot that after having an atrocious start , he was able to bring his season averages up to respectable numbers. Impressive? yes.

Then he was money in our post-season and sparked the turn around in Cleveland. Remember the grand-slam in game 4 of the 2007 ALCS? No JD Drew = no ring in 2007.

Then in 2008, he continued where he left off, batting above .310 into June. He had an OBP of .400+ and was on pace to hit 30 HRs (numbers that are ON PAR with his talent). You know how many outfielders in MLB are capable of those numbers? Less than 5, I can tell you that.

Then what happened, the deathtrap we like to call RF in Fenway got the best of him. How often was Nixon injured? Anyone will tell you that RF in Fenway is awkward, and that play that JD hurt himself on was FREAK and GRUESOME. His back pretty much folded in half. His feet were in RF and his back was arched over the wall, and his head was ON the dugout grass. OUCH! JD Drews fault? Absolutely not, as RF in Fenway IS A DEATHTRAP!

So what did JD do? He played his heart out. Tried his hardest to play through it, and eventually became our best hitter in the 2008 ALCS.

JD has been clutch since he's been here (one of the most clutch bats in both postseasons). And you cant blame him for his back injury. Yet, fans like yourself , are already dismissing him in 2009.

Make no mistake, if this injection works (and its looking like it is working), and we can get a healthy JD Drew for 125 games this year, then you are looking at a guy wiht a .310 BA, .408 OBP, pro-rated 30 HR. Ortiz, Bay, Lowell, none of them can even sniff those numbers.

Lets give the guy a break because despite what most people think, JD Drew has been one of our most clutch hitters since he's been here, and has shown nothing but grit and toughness.

If JD is in the lineup batting what JD is capable of, our lineup just may as potent as anyone in the MLB.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[Quote]txHeat, is that fair? Assuming you're a sox fan, all of those various ailments happened when Drew was in LA. So why dont we let the LA fans hate him for that? If you only judge what JD has done since being in Boston, its hard to dismiss him so easily.

In 2007 , he got off to a dismal start because his son was battling for his life in the hospital, leaving JD a bit distracted. Forgivable?

Then down the stretch in 2007, he got so hot that after having an atrocious start , he was able to bring his season averages up to respectable numbers. Impressive? yes.

Then he was money in our post-season and sparked the turn around in Cleveland. Remember the grand-slam in game 4 of the 2007 ALCS? No JD Drew = no ring in 2007.

Then in 2008, he continued where he left off, batting above .310 into June. He had an OBP of .400+ and was on pace to hit 30 HRs (numbers that are ON PAR with his talent). You know how many outfielders in MLB are capable of those numbers? Less than 5, I can tell you that.

Then what happened, the deathtrap we like to call RF in Fenway got the best of him. How often was Nixon injured? Anyone will tell you that RF in Fenway is awkward, and that play that JD hurt himself on was FREAK and GRUESOME. His back pretty much folded in half. His feet were in RF and his back was arched over the wall, and his head was ON the dugout grass. OUCH! JD Drews fault? Absolutely not, as RF in Fenway IS A DEATHTRAP!

So what did JD do? He played his heart out. Tried his hardest to play through it, and eventually became our best hitter in the 2008 ALCS.

JD has been clutch since he's been here (one of the most clutch bats in both postseasons). And you cant blame him for his back injury. Yet, fans like yourself , are already dismissing him in 2009.

Make no mistake, if this injection works (and its looking like it is working), and we can get a healthy JD Drew for 125 games this year, then you are looking at a guy wiht a .310 BA, .408 OBP, pro-rated 30 HR. Ortiz, Bay, Lowell, none of them can even sniff those numbers.

Lets give the guy a break because despite what most people think, JD Drew has been one of our most clutch hitters since he's been here, and has shown nothing but grit and toughness.

If JD is in the lineup batting what JD is capable of, our lineup just may as potent as anyone in the MLB.[/Quote]

Finally, some love for JD Drew! Great post. Remember, haters will hate no matter what. They say, what have you done for me lately? The guy is totally clutch. Would a Yankee fan trade Arod's career in NY for Drew's career in Boston? That's what I thought.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

'

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Jim, you are the man. Thanks for hearing me out! People forget all about those postseasons home-runs. Including the one that started the turnaround against cleveland. We dont get to the 2007 WS without JD.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

txHeat, is that fair?

This is what txHeat posted=

I believe Lowell but I don't believe Drew who has a career filled with injuries and missed games for all kinds of ailments. How much you want to bet that Drew starts the season on the DL?????

Is there anything specifically wrong or unfair in that?

1-He's had a career filled with injuries.
    2-He's probably 50/50 to start the season on the DL.

He's averaged 125 games per year for us. I have no problem with him, since this is the player we signed. But I also don't think it's unfair to point out that his health is unreliable.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I want to teach JD Drew some yoga practice.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Spaceman, if you think it will work...Im not against it.

Joe, the tone of that guy's post was already dismissing JD in 2009. I dont think thats fair. Anyone who is overlooking JD in 2009 is in for a surprise if these injections work.

If we can get 125 games out of JD (and he plays like JD for those 125 games) AND we get JD (one of our most clutch hitters) in the postseason, then all of these concerns about the potency of our lineup will be muted. He's that good, and from everything IVe read recently, it looks like the injection worked.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

Im not conviced either of these guys will be big time contributors in 09...lowell isnt the fastest guy around 3rd despite his mlb historical best fielding percentage at the position

and drew will take two months off and put up solid, but not even close to 14 mill a year numbers...yawn

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Funny you should say that Jimmy, because when JD signed for $14,000,000 that wasnt anything close to a top of the line contract for the market at the time.

C. Lee 16.6 mil / year
    G. Matthews 10 mil / year
    J. Pierre - 9 mill / year
    Soriano - 17 mil / year
    Sheffield - 14 mil / year
    Drew - 14 mil / year

Soriano is not a .300 hitter and his OBP is miniscule when compared to Drew's. Drew is also a far superior fielder.

G.Matthews came off of 1 good year. He had a career of mediocrity, and isnt counted on by the Angels to do much of anything anymore.

C.Lee - His OBP is not as good as Drew's. Neither is his defense.

J.Pierre - currently a backup

Sheffield - Not counted on for much, DH now and clearly washed up.

Drew - has been one of the most clutch hitters for the Red sox. Has done more for the sox than any other guy on this list has done for their team. Other than maybe C. Lee, BY FAR the best OF on this list.

Did he sign like he was? NOPE. I know the market has changed since 2007, and in hindsight it makes JD's contract look absurd. But in 2007 we needed a RF, and we got a great one who we would not have won a WS without. Also, he was one of the 2 best RF in that free-agent class (C. Lee is a sick OF), but he wasnt even paid as such.

I think JD Drew's contract was a good move by Theo. There is no way Theo could have predicted the market dwarfing in the next 2 years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

hows about shutting down jd until june.

then maybe he can play the rest of the year.

thinking hes gonna be available all season is a joke

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

First of all, carlos lee and soriano were not bought by their respective clubs for their defense...and big money doesnt go to defense, it goes to offense

and all those guys you mentioned have a much better track record of staying healthy than drew...so whats your point?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from manfredoko. Show manfredoko's posts

Those numbers for JD Drew are completely unrealistic. .310, 30 HRs, and a +.400 OBP all together? I could definitely see the OBP, but he has hit 30+ home runs once in his entire career, back when he was with Atlanta in 2004. That year was also the last time he hit over .300, which coincidentally was a contract year. Suspicious?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

[Quote]Spaceman, if you think it will work...Im not against it.

Joe, the tone of that guy's post was already dismissing JD in 2009. I dont think thats fair. Anyone who is overlooking JD in 2009 is in for a surprise if these injections work.

If we can get 125 games out of JD (and he plays like JD for those 125 games) AND we get JD (one of our most clutch hitters) in the postseason, then all of these concerns about the potency of our lineup will be muted. He's that good, and from everything IVe read recently, it looks like the injection worked.[/Quote]

You simply don't understand the nature of back injuries such as Drew has. He has multiple disc herniations. The whole injection thing refers to a steroidal anti inflammatant introduced at the SI joint(sacroilliac) to provide some pain relief. The fact is this is NOT a treatment for the condition but is palliative only. Surgical intervention has a 50% failure rate, nerve oblation is slightly more effective for pain relief, but permenantly impairs the patient and would be very bad for an athlete. Drew has the single WORST career for his diagnosis. Violently swinging a bat while swiveling on his torso is the last thing he wants to be doing. Fault him or not, Drew WILL miss considerable time this year and going forward. Why do you think myself and others have been screaming that we needed a big bat to add to what we have now?

I'm pleased with early reports re: Lowell but he is also at risk to miss time this year. This ownership group has decided that hoarding cash and trusting in "luck" is somehow an effective way to manage a ball club. I disagree.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

He was on pace to hit 30 HRs last year into July, when he suffered a freak injury.

If you pro-rate his nubmers across a full-season, 30 HRs in a full-season of at-bats is not unrealistic. Expecting a full season of at-bats is unrealistic , though. Thats why I said a PRO-RATED 30 HRs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

"and all those guys you mentioned have a much better track record of staying healthy than drew...so whats your point? "

My point? Even in 125 games / year, JD Drew has done far more for the sox than any other of those players have for their respective teams.

JD is a far better talent than Soriano and all others on that list (except Lee).

But JD gets on far more than Lee , so who is the better batter really is a toss-up.

Drew was the best OF acquisition made in 2007. Thats even considering the contract. Considering we dont win a WS in 2007 without a big bat in RF, and considering JD was the best OF bat available at the time, my point is JD Drew was a GREAT pick-up.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Good post, Teakus. You are completely correct that I have no idea about the nature of JD's back.

But I do know that its not his fault. And I expect him to miss time, but we are a MUCH better team when JD is on the field. ESPECIALLY, when it matters most, as he has been one of if not THE MOST clutch hitters on this team over the last 2 years.

But good infomration, thanks.

But IMO, if JD plays 100 games and the post-season next year, he's worth at least 14,000,000 because when he is on the field, he is that good. And thats even WITH the back injury.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

[Quote]He was on pace to hit 30 HRs last year into July, when he suffered a freak injury.

If you pro-rate his nubmers across a full-season, 30 HRs in a full-season of at-bats is not unrealistic. Expecting a full season of at-bats is unrealistic , though. Thats why I said a PRO-RATED 30 HRs.[/Quote]

There is a fatal flaw in your logic I'm afraid. You assume that simply because Drew is on the field that he is 100% healthy, like last season before the herniations. The problem is that Drew may "feel" fine on a given day, but his swing is bound to be altered because he'll know that one hard swing could put him on the DL. What I'm saying is this: The Drew you saw in action and loved last season, as did I, is gone forever. The guy there now will have decreased power numbers while he plays, as he attempts to baby his back, and will miss considerable time when the back flares up again. A wise man recognizes what is, rather than clinging to what he wishes was. I think Drew will do the very best he can for us-he's no Manny afterall. But he's damaged goods I'm afraid.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Teakus, that is a great point, as you continue to be the only adverse debator making a coherent case.

But, Tito has said that even before JD got this injection, he was crushing the ball. Also, JD was crusing the ball in the 2008 ALCS. I agree that who knows if he will be able to sustain power throughout the season with a balky balk but...if these injections work, they could give him a 2 month pain free window. One injection before the stretch run, one before the playoffs.

I definately see you're angle, but JD was ripping the ball in 2008 postseason and 2009 preseason. And that was before the injection that he states is helping. I agree that its stupid to assume he will be healthy all year, but the Red Sox are TONS better when he is in the lineup. Even with a balky back. So if they can have him down the stretch, and in the postseason, we will be better for it, as he is one of our most clutch hitters. If not our single most clutch hitter.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

[Quote]Teakus, that is a great point, as you continue to be the only adverse debator making a coherent case.

But, Tito has said that even before JD got this injection, he was crushing the ball. Also, JD was crusing the ball in the 2008 ALCS. I agree that who knows if he will be able to sustain power throughout the season with a balky balk but...if these injections work, they could give him a 2 month pain free window. One injection before the stretch run, one before the playoffs.

I definately see you're angle, but JD was ripping the ball in 2008 postseason and 2009 preseason. And that was before the injection that he states is helping. I agree that its stupid to assume he will be healthy all year, but the Red Sox are TONS better when he is in the lineup. Even with a balky back. So if they can have him down the stretch, and in the postseason, we will be better for it, as he is one of our most clutch hitters. If not our single most clutch hitter.[/Quote]

I agree Drew will be of help this year, I'm just pointing out it's going to be impossible to predict exactly when and to what degree. If it were as simple as getting his injection and being healthy for a set amount of time afterwards, your thesis would be correct. In fact, disc herniations would be no big deal at all, because we could simply plan players time of disability for the off season by timing injections. Alas, such is not the case. Maybe we can get lucky and have him help us make the playoffs and then help us win once we are there. But it'll be luck if it happens, and far from guaranteed. I know Drew will do all he can and when he is feeling well and playing we are a far stronger team. Appreciate the good posts man! Now let's just keep those fingers crossed tightly and hope things work out this season.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[Quote]First of all, carlos lee and soriano were not bought by their respective clubs for their defense...and big money doesnt go to defense, it goes to offense

and all those guys you mentioned have a much better track record of staying healthy than drew...so whats your point?[/Quote]

I think his point is that he would not take EITHER Lee or Soriano instead of Drew. Let me ask this...In the playoffs last year, who did you want to see coming to the plate in any big spot? Petey and Drew! 1. JD Drew big fly in LA. 2. JD Drew 8th inning big fly in game 6 ACLS. 3. JD Drew walkoff double in game 6. I'm sorry, when he comes up huge, most revert to his injuries and the 14 mil. Look at it this way, Arod dreams of being clutch like JD Drew...and Arod never misses a game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

all true, but what id Drew is hurt in October instead of June?