1. You have chosen to ignore posts from markfmnj. Show markfmnj's posts

Drew Hurting, Penny fatigued

Drew and the Red Sox downplayed the injury last month, but it's obviously a concern. Manager Terry Francona called the injection "precautionary" and noted that Drew is scheduled to take batting practice Thursday before rejoining the lineup Friday

Penny had been scheduled to make his spring training debut Thursday, but that's now unlikely. "I don’t think the shoulder strength was quite where it needed to be yet for the work load I was doing," Penny said. "It’s better to take it easy right now than to get out there in the first week of April and have it flare up on me. I’m just stay on the shoulder program, play catch and try to get my shoulder strength to where I need it to be."

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playernews.aspx?sport=MLB

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeLahoud. Show JoeLahoud's posts

Yep. Worst case, which seems more likely by the hour, is Penny's another Bartolo Colon and Drew's back problem will keep him out of 100 games. What, Kotsay slash Baldelli in right and Masterson every five days? That's not gonna win the east.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

It's hard to fault the offseason acquisitions, which focused more on pitching (Smolz, Penny, Ramirez, and the Japanese reliever) than everyday players. But the reality is that right now the Sox everyday players include four reliables--Pedroia, Youkilis, Bay, and Ellsbury--and five questionables--Drew, Lowell, Ortiz, Varitek, and Lugo. On top of that, two of the bench players also have reliabiity issues--Kotsay and Baldelli.

I never thought Teixeira made as much sense for the Sox as he did for the Yankees, who didn't have a firstbaseman but did have plenty of salary space. If we had obtained Teixeira for some incredible salary, Theo would have had to add in the cost of sending Lowell elsewhere--say, one half of his remaining $24M of salary. The doctors say they fixed Lowell's hip, and he has had at least two pretty good years at Fenway. But we should still worry.

Drew is Drew--a multi-talented rightfielder who is injury prone but still capable of being a key contributor.

Since the departure of Manny, Ortiz keeps complaining that he can't get a pitch to hit. Hitless so far this spring (when he has ridiculously urged the Sox front office to bring Manny back), his standard for a hittable pitch would seem to be a belt high 85 mph fastball that is announced beforehand by the pitcher. The conditioning bug that has gotten into all kinds of Sox and former Sox (Manny) has not infected Very Big Papi, whose girth more than his wrist could be his demise as a great hitter. Or maybe he was just good because Manny backed him up.

Varitek is still a very big question mark, but keeping him made sense to me. Lugo could surprise us because there was a time when he played fairly well. Still, as a Sox, he has been a disaster in the field and at best a #8 or #9 hitter at the plate.

If you are Josh Becket, Jon Lester, or Daisuke Matsuzaka, you have to be wondering if you will have to hold the other team to 2 or fewer runs to even have a chance of winning. The good news is that all three are capable of that kind of pitching, and Masterson might be too. That would leave the likes of Smolz, Penny, Wakefield, Buchholz, and Bowden to cover the 5th slot or maybe even allow Masterson to return to the bullpen, where he pitched better last year than when he started. And the bullpen so far looks pretty darn good in March, but, as Papelbon says, we'll know better when they pitch in real games.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CommissionerBS. Show CommissionerBS's posts

From an article by Amalie Benjamin (referring to an injection received by J.D. Drew):

"The injection, administered in Boston by Dr. Bill Palmer, was a facet block. According to the website of Brigham and Women's Hospital's Pain Management Center, a facet block is an injection of local anesthetic and steroid into the joint."
    I thought steroid usage wasn't allowed in baseball.???

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_2767828. Show user_2767828's posts

Manny got paid bit ches!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

If you are Josh Becket, Jon Lester, or Daisuke Matsuzaka, you have to be wondering if you will have to hold the other team to 2 or fewer runs to even have a chance of winning.

Still, having the #2 offense in the AL should alleviate some of that pressure.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[Quote]Yep. Worst case, which seems more likely by the hour, is Penny's another Bartolo Colon and Drew's back problem will keep him out of 100 games. What, Kotsay slash Baldelli in right and Masterson every five days? That's not gonna win the east.[/Quote]

If the only issue we have is Masterson replacing Penny, and he's already likely better than Penny, or plugging in Baldelli/Kotsay/Bailey/Wilkerson into Drew's spot for 100 games, then we are alomost certainly favored to win the ALE.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

[Quote]

If the only issue we have is Masterson replacing Penny, and he's already likely better than Penny, or plugging in Baldelli/Kotsay/Bailey/Wilkerson into Drew's spot for 100 games, then we are alomost certainly favored to win the ALE.[/Quote]

But that is not all we have to worry about, is it Joe? We have to contend with the likelyhood that Papi is at risk to miss games/spend time on the DL, as is Smoltz, Baldelli, Lowell. This is all in addition to Drew, Penny, Kotsay who are all hurt right now. We needed a bat and all smart observers, who didn't have a political axe to grind, could see that. Now the hypothetical has become reality, the injury risks are now injury facts. Do you now agree that we need a Big Bat Joe? It's ok you can say it...we all know.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT93. Show BurritoT93's posts

I don't get it. Didn't Drew hurt his pooor widdle baack on the airplane last play-offs? Why did they fly him out for treatment? Wouldn't the plane ride only irritate the sissy's back?

Buy Him Out! Buy Him Out Now~! But for The Nations sake, Buy Him Out!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Burrito, do you mean when he was busy being our most clutch hitter in the 2008 postseason? Or when he was hitting grandslams to get us to the WS in the 2007 postseason? Which exactly postseason are you talking about? Because JD Drew has been one of our best hitters over the last 2 postseasons.

You want to buy out one of our most clutch players?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[Quote]

But that is not all we have to worry about, is it Joe? We have to contend with the likelyhood that Papi is at risk to miss games/spend time on the DL, as is Smoltz, Baldelli, Lowell. This is all in addition to Drew, Penny, Kotsay who are all hurt right now. We needed a bat and all smart observers, who didn't have a political axe to grind, could see that. Now the hypothetical has become reality, the injury risks are now injury facts. Do you now agree that we need a Big Bat Joe? It's ok you can say it...we all know. [/Quote]

Every team is at risk for injuries. The NYY have to now worry about ARod, Posada, Rivera, and Burnett. And after yesterday's outing, perhaps Joba. We have a much better injury profile than the Yankees. For TB, Percival is coming off of surgery. Pena is coming off of surgery. Upton is coming off of surgery. Crawford missed 53 games last year, and Kazmir continues to be at risk.

I just don't buy that our injuries are any more severe than their injuries.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

It's ok you can say it...we all know.

Dang, I meant to congratulate you on the use of one of the all-time great movie lines

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

masterson is more effective if the batters see him only once(relief)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

[Quote] It's ok you can say it...we all know.

Dang, I meant to congratulate you on the use of one of the all-time great movie lines
    .[/Quote]

Ha! My Cousin Vinny....a great American movie. I do agree that others have injury risks also, but ours is what concerns me. Let the Yanks worry about Arods hip, (something that could be very serious depending on location), and the Rays really don't need/care about Percival. He's replaceable within their organization and is at the end of his career.

We needed a Big Bat and failed to get one. If we aren't willing/able to swing a deal by the trading deadline, it will cost us this season. Hoping our competitors fall apart with injuries is no way to manage a team effectively, as I'm sure you know. But I will make you a promise right here: If we do make a blockbuster trade at the deadline and acquire some stud or studs and make the playoffs this year, I will be singing John Henry+Theo's praises for years to come. I'm now on record.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

We needed a Big Bat and failed to get one. If we aren't willing/able to swing a deal by the trading deadline, it will cost us this season.

Again, the problem remains, where would the big bat play? Lowell, Drew, and Papi are all on pace to start the season. Any of them could get hurt, but are you going to sign someone to sit on the bench waiting for one of them to get injured? And if you signed someone, would it be a RF, and 3B, or a big slugger to replace Papi?

IMHO, your second sentence makes far more sense. When 7/31 rolls around, and half the teams are out of it, every single one of them will be looking to dump payroll. And by then, we'll have a much better idea of who'll be ailing and who is healthy.

What? Do the laws of physics not apply under your roof? I expected very little out of the movie, and I thought it rolled along fairly well until the trial. Funny, but not rolling in the aisle funny. But after the grits guy, I swear my cheeks were hurting from laughing.