1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Edes: Rays-Reality Check

The Biggest factor wasn't even mentioned !! The fact that the Sox played a good deal of the season with key players either hurt or distracted, to me, was one of the biggest reasons the Rays won the division and had home field advantage over a Hurting Red Sox team whom they barely got by in the post season. If you factor a Healthier and much improved Red Sox and Yankme team in the mix this season, the Rays will definately feel the heat and pressure of trying to maintain the top spot in the East!! It will take every bit of that magical season of last year to have them in the hunt again and this season the element of surprise will not be in their favor either. As far as Burell is concerned, he has not been in a division like he will face in the AL east and he would be at best a marginal upgrade over Eric Hinske who hit 20 HRs for the Rays in only 381 ABs.

GO SOX !! AMERICA'S TEAM OF THE NEW MILLENIUM !!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

THE RAYS HAD A MAJICAL YEAR IN 2008. TO REPEAT WOULD BE ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE! HOW CAN EVERYTHING GO RIGHT TWO YEARS IN A ROW??

THEY WILL PROBABLY EXPERIENCE SOME INJURIES IN 2009. EVERY TEAM DOES. SO, THAT ELEMENT OF 2008 WILL BE GONE! IF KASMIR GOES DOWN BY MID-YEAR, THEY WILL BE THIRD PLACE IN THE EAST.... AT BEST! JUST ABOVE THE FOURTH PLACE YANKEES!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from njalb. Show njalb's posts

The Rays beat the Sox last year because they played better. If you think they will not perform well again this year you are ignorant with regards to what it takes to win- good pitching and defense. PS- they had plenty of injuries themselves. PSS yes, I am a Sox fan.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Sheilds, Price and Garza > Chamberlain, Hughes and Kennedy.....this is why the Yankees signed Burnett and Sabathia; because their young pitchers are overated.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from quint869. Show quint869's posts

How will the Rays do this year?

Well, their #5 starter is going to own basically every team he faces, so I am going to guess fairly well.

You guys do get the Rays farm system right? James Shields, their best pitcher in 2008 will probably be their #5 come 2011.

And that isn't due to a drop of performance. Try a farm system that makes Josh Beckett a #4 starter in 2 years time.

Rays had injuries too you know.. every team does. Kazmir, Upton, their bullpen a few times.

It may have been a too good ride to repeat, but they are not going anywhere for the next decade. 3rd place in the division at worse, and they will win it a few times in the next decade too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarylandFan. Show MarylandFan's posts

Kudos to the Rays for their magical 2008 season. I compare them to the 2003 Marlins who had an impressive SP rotation of Josh Beckett, A.J. Burnett, Dontrelle Willis, Carl Pavano and Brad Penny. For you Yank fans, AJ only pitched 4 gms that yr.
    Don Zimmer compares Evan Longoria to Brooks Robinson and Mike Schmidt, must be something funny in the Tampa water. The Rays are an above average team and will battle the Yanks for the w/c and the Sox will win 98-105 gms w/another trip to the WS. Keeping their better players will will be a challenge for the Rays.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from brianamoro. Show brianamoro's posts

the biggest reason for the rays sucess last year was their bulpen performance, it is doubtful they will repeat that, j.p. howell , balfour etc. no bona fide closer that will come to haunt them this year otherwise they look terrific in the rotation and lineup.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andre10056. Show andre10056's posts

The Rays will be a force in the AL East and all of major league baseball for years to come. Any statement that they're done, or that they can't repeat what they did last year, etc., etc. is self-serving fantasy.

There are only two things that can derail the Rays. One is low attendance. If the Rays can't increase the level of support from hometown fans and regularly fill or come close to filling the stadium, they may be unable to pay even their already meager team salary.

Of course, hundreds of thousands of Red Sox and Yankees fans who travel to the Trop to bolster those attendance stats are, in effect, giving the Rays the precious payroll ammuniton they need to compete.

The second possible problem for the Rays is players feeling angry about how poorly they're being paid. Longoria, for example, started last season in the minor leagues despite having a solid spring. What I've heard in the media is that the Rays FO basically told him, "You're staying in the minors unless you agree to a long term contract". So he signed in order to make it to the bigs.

How's this for the contract of a player who is already one of the best:

09: $550,000
    10: $950,000
    11: 2 mill
    12: 4.5 mill
    13: 6 mill
    14: 7.5 mill
    15: 11 mill club option
    16: 11.5 mill club option

How's that contract going to affect his attitude toward the team?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarylandFan. Show MarylandFan's posts

Andre10056,

Good post and didn't know Longorio was signed thru 2016 and the $ show the difference between a small market team and free spenders like the Yanks. Longoria at $550,000 could put up bigger numbers than Texeira at $22,500,000 or A-Fraud who makes around $27,000,000. I also agree that the Rays aren't going away and w/their young talent will be contenders for many yrs. Your last sentence has alot of merit not only for Longoria but for other Rays players locked into long-term bottom dollar contracts.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oscars. Show oscars's posts

[Quote]How will the Rays do this year?

Well, their #5 starter is going to own basically every team he faces, so I am going to guess fairly well.

You guys do get the Rays farm system right? James Shields, their best pitcher in 2008 will probably be their #5 come 2011.

And that isn't due to a drop of performance. Try a farm system that makes Josh Beckett a #4 starter in 2 years time.

Rays had injuries too you know.. every team does. Kazmir, Upton, their bullpen a few times.

It may have been a too good ride to repeat, but they are not going anywhere for the next decade. 3rd place in the division at worse, and they will win it a few times in the next decade too.[/Quote]

Congratulations to the Rays, who had a fantastic 2008 season.
    Their problem, with the lack of payroll in Tampa, is that they will lose their stars(Upton, Longoria, etc) when they become eligible for free agency.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from billy13. Show billy13's posts

I give great credit to the rays for their 2008 season but Im really looking forward to see how they react this year. Pitching is the key. Sheilds has surprized me, I didnt think he was that good. Garza either. They are that good. They will be a contender in the east for sure. Lets see how they react to success and the improvements of the sox and yanks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from quint869. Show quint869's posts

The Rays payroll is 50million and climbing. They have banked money away to afford their players now.

They are not poor, they were just smarter than teams like the Pirates and didn't waste money on bad players.

Shields, Longoria, Pena are all locked up for a while

They are or will talk to Kazmir, Upton, Crawford (again) Garza, PRICE

They are loaded with talent, and can easliy replace players.

Longoria wouldn't have signed a long term deal if he was forced too, one the team couldn't get away with that, and 2, they would have been crucifed by the fans come June, they were attacked heavily for not starting the year with him. Longoria was too good, he was making the majors last season no matter what.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from brarrell. Show brarrell's posts

As far as Burell is concerned, he has not been in a division like he will face in the AL east and he would be at best a marginal upgrade over Eric Hinske who hit 20 HRs for the Rays in only 381 ABs.

Well, I think Burell is a pretty good addition to the Rays. He has been in frequent divisional battles between the Mets and Phillies that literally go down to the last day of the season, where every game is a playoff game and the one who slips loses it all! He knows what to expect, and his experience will benefit the Rays more than just his bat.

It will be interesting to seee the battles for the AL East this year. Heck, I could imagine Toronto making a better showing if their guys can use the stick. The pitching is very solid. We shall see who can grind thtough to take the crown!

Go Red Sox, 2009 is the year to shine!

Sections
Shortcuts