1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Edgar Renteria/Orlando Cabrera article

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3356524

This is a link to a pretty interesting article about the feud between the 2 former Sox shortstops.Also,a little insight to why Cabrera wasn't resigned by the Sox.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Still wish OC were are starting shortstop. Theo doesn't make a lot of mistakes, but this was definately one of them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from elktonnick. Show elktonnick's posts

I disagre, performance aside it's no accident that both Renteria and OC are "well traveled"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

I tell you what you can give me a gold glove shortstop that hits in the clutch anytime, I really don't care what they do off the field as long as they're not breaking the law. OC was the best SS we had since the early years of Nomar and was one of the�big reasons we won it all in 04. We don't make that trade and its very doubtful we end the jinx that year. Still believe this to be one of Theo's worst mistakes as GM not resigning him and bringing in Renteria. [Mirabelli for Bard / Meredith right there to]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Also,a little insight to why Cabrera wasn't resigned by the Sox.

That article puts it kindly...

Cabrera wasn't the only one on the 2004 team with off-field problems, but management has actively tried to remake the team character since.� I don't think there are nearly as many issues with the current bunch.� Somehow JD Drew doesn't strike me as the partying type.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Seems some RS fans have a very short memory. 04 wasn't that long ago. Did they forget how big a part OC played in comeback vs. Yankees in LCS. All he did was bat .379 w/ obp of .424 and drive in 5 runs�[ batted .294 from trade on that season for RS]. Not counting standing on his head in the field and making a number of great defensive plays. Thats what I remember and would take him over Lugo [.237 avg for RS in 07/ did hit well in playoffs though] in a heartbeat.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

It is easy to say what could have been with OC.� The bottom line is he played half a season for the Sox, and people say he was the best SS we have had in years?� it was half a season people.� Thats like saying Dominique Wilkins was one of the best players to ever play for the Celtics.� Sure he played for them, but not during his best years, and not for very long.� They won last year with Lugo as the SS, so what are you complaining about?� Besides, what has OC done since the 04 season?� What is it with everyone here in Boston, we always cry about what we dont have, instead of being happy for all the great players we do.�

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamroz. Show jamroz's posts

One reason why I thought they would've brought Cabrera back was that he proved that he could play under the big lights of Boston. There have been plenty of good players that haven't been able to thrive in Boston or New York because of the constant pressure. The normal pressure to win here is like playoff pressure in other cities and Cabrera handled it well. Don't get me wrong I am sure that he had his off the field issues either but if you don't believe that many of the ballplayers are stepping out than you may be a little naive.

I wanted Cabrera back. I am rooting for Lugo and maybe he can put it together but we haven't seen it yet.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from keepmanny7. Show keepmanny7's posts

cabrera was skrewing the wife of our closer and everyone found out about it.� at the time, foulke was a more important part of the team and they couldnt coexist.� looking back, i wish theyd have dumped foulke instead but he shoulda been the WS MVP and had a great year.� the right decision was made at the time, even though it hurt us.� i prefer renteria over cabrera as well.�

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GetYourSoxOn. Show GetYourSoxOn's posts

OC certainly has his place in our minds and hearts because of '04.� I would have to guess that RS management knows lots more that you about how he conducted himself off the field, etc.� They also knew how popular he was with fans.� They made a decision that they felt was the best for the team going forward.The same goes for D. Lowe.� Didn't he pitch (and get the win) for every series clinching game?� He was one of my favourite players on that team.� Because of his late night habits, they also decided to let him walk.Remember the saying, "Nothing good happens after midnight"?� I don't remember hearing of anything that happened in particular, but the potential was there.� RS management perhaps wanted to avoid any issues and anyone that didn't have "their eyes on the prize", at least in management's view, was left to seek employment elsewhere.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Drews proclivity to land up�on the DL.

Actually, Drew didn't go on the DL even ONCE last year.� Amazing that he still managed to miss so many games.� He's master of the day-to-day nagging injury.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from keepmanny7. Show keepmanny7's posts

He's master of the day-to-day nagging injury.he's also the master of the $14,000,000 grand slam.� :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Good point did forget about draft picks. So I guess it worked out pretty well, we did win another w/ Lugo at short.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Probably the highlight of his career so far has to be 04 series vs. Yanks which if your a RS fan not a bad thing. But evrything has worked out for both, he got his $ anyway and RS won another WS and did get the draft picks.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

With a team full of idiots, what did everyone expect them to be in bed by 10:00. Have no problems with either decision OC and Lowe now. But at time I did not like the Renteria move, what would you rather have a guy who stays out late and produces�or someone who can't handle pressure of playing in Boston and doesn't ? But I always have a place in my heart for guys who play well in big spots vs. Yanks and OC did that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

I guess if you know every RS team since 46. Then I guess you can't forget the sight of Edgar Renteria TRYING to play shortstop in 05 for the Red Sox. How many errors that year 35? When a guy who�playsa gold glove defense and killed the Yankees in 04 LCS was forced to sign with Angels, great move right? But give Theo credit he made a mistake and then he fixed it by getting the guy out of Boston!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from keepmanny7. Show keepmanny7's posts

Well JD got a free ride last year for a variety of reasonsare you on crack?� he got killed every time he missed a game or didnt get a hit.� people here were ready to lynch him till he hit the $14,000,000 grand slam.�

Sections
Shortcuts