1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roast1999. Show Roast1999's posts

Epstein vs. Cashman:Which GM is better?

I think it's a pretty close match up but I would definitely give Theo the edge. He has done more with the farm system, and I think the players Theo brought in were more responsible for the titles than the ones he was handed, while Cashman IMO had more parts already in place. It's not a runaway, but I would give it to Theo.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think it's hard to say if Cashman is a good or bad GM compared to anyone else because he's operating in a different set of circumstances from everyone else. Obviously he's got by far the most money to spend. But he's also got the highest expectations and most pressure. Just making the playoffs doesn't cut it. Maybe if he was with a small market team he would have a better chance to show his savvy. The final judgment on Cashman is yet to be made, and it will be largely based on what happens this year and in the next couple of years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Cashman isn't really a GM. I don't mean that in a negative way, but the NYY primary operating philosophy is to simply sign the best players. There really isn't a lot of management to that. There wasn't any doubt that Sabathia, Tex, and at least one other FA SP was signing with them. There isn't a Plan A, Plan B, etc. With atlanta, the question was what to do if they didn't get Burnett. In Boston, the question was what to do if they didn't get Tex. These aren't questions raised in NY.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carolina-soxfan. Show carolina-soxfan's posts

I don't know the answer. Cashman is always running scared and trying to save his job. Obviously he is a smart guy, but I don't know how much control he is really given. I think the Steins really dictate the baseball operations in NY and I don't think it is fair to single him out when discussing the Yankees performance year in and year out. I think Theo has mad plenty of mistakes also, but I also think he is one of the best in MLB.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ihatefishing. Show ihatefishing's posts

[Quote]Its not even close. I made a post awhile back about this that didnt go over well.

BRIAN CASHMAN IS THE WORST GM IN MLB.

Look at the money hes spent compared to what hes gotten back. Credit him for 0 of those World Series championships because ALL of the key players were either drafted or signed under the previous GM. (with the exception of Clemens but hes a cheater anyways). You cant even argue the other way on this debate.[/Quote]
    It might be interesting to look at money spent per championship for each one. I owuld guess theo's is around 350 mil and cash' is near 500 mil, but i havent odne any real reserch. Someone should.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Cashman isn't really a GM. I don't mean that in a negative way, but the NYY primary operating philosophy is to simply sign the best players. There really isn't a lot of management to that.

I may have to disagree with you on that one Joe, The Yankme philosophy is to sign the most "Expensive Players", not necessarily the " Best Players" and certainly not the "Best Players" for the team !! Clearly, A-Rod fits this profile and so far this Millenium it hasn't worked out to well !! However, just like Vegas, the Yankmes have staying power and can afford to make any mistake look less costly. Just like the Blind Squirrel even Cashman may find an acorn occasionally !!

GO SOX 2009 !!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Even though it took a Gorilla suit, Theo showed some backbone in his contract negotiations with the Sox to have the organization run more to his beliefs !! Cashman has no such bone in his body, just ask poor Joe Torre, the Happiest Man on the Planet tonight !!

GO SOX 2009 !!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mudbugger. Show mudbugger's posts

Theo isn't held hostage by his owner and a board of directors that reside in Florida. I do feel just a tiny bit (like this much) for Cashman, because he really isn't able to do his job without being micromanaged from hank, hal and the board.

Theo has a "carte blanche" blue print to develop the organization, and has done a masterful job building a dynamic
    minor league system. John Henry and company leaves him alone per say, and Theo trumped Larry Lucchino in that power struggle a few years ago.

Cashman wanted and tried to build the minor league system compariable to the red sox, but hank and company squashed that plan.

I think Theo has an edge on minor league development (Pedoria, Ellsbury, Lars, Masterson, etc...), I would like to think Theo has lucked out in certain free agent signings (Ortiz, Millar).

If you take a look at the Yankees, what front line pitcher or everyday starter have they as an organization developed (except for Joba) since 2000?

So...I would pick Theo, more based on his ability on developing a high quality minor league system.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

It might be interesting to look at money spent per championship for each one. I owuld guess theo's is around 350 mil and cash' is near 500 mil, but i havent odne any real reserch. Someone should

LOL ... You don't have to research to hard to know The Yankmes have spent over 2 billion dollars this Millenium with Zilch, Nada, Not a One, Zero Championships to show for their Money !! But they are making a killing selling T-Shirts with their " WE HAVE 26 RINGS " on it !! LOL

GO SOX 2009 !!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from campp. Show campp's posts

it was close until 2007 and 2008...and THIS SEASON. the yanks don`t have nearly the productive young talent as does boston. epstein is doing EXACTLY what he said he would do when he took over the FO reins, making red sox scounting, farm system and player development second to none. with daniel bard and chris carter starting to shine.. and lars on the way...in 1 or 2 more years the boston red sox could be essentially a homegrown team. i like that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Joba, their #4 starter got racked yesterday!! DOH! A-fraud has the same injury as Lowell, who is the back up 3b on the Yankme's?

We can now add A-Roid to the same category as Lowell....will be be the same as he was before the injury?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rick18087. Show Rick18087's posts

This is a tough call. Cashman seems equiped to do the job, but seems handcuffed by ownership. He wants to build minor league prospects but that seems like it lags due to lack of funds, he does not seem to have full control over the manager selection (see Torre), and seems to be at times operating on the judgement of the owners and not his own, especially with respect to FA signings. Money seems to cover most mistakes as NYY can absorb easily. But the present result is a talented but aging core with limited prospects coming from the minor leagues, which would seem to indicate that the current org model will continue. When the combo of the diverse pieces click, it's the WS, when it doesn't it's like the last few years.

Epstein seems to have full control, once he got by a meddling Luchino. I think Henry wanted Manny, Theo did not, and Manny was traded, is one example. He makes mistakes like Lugo and probably Drew, but the farm system is there to back up the mistakes.

So I give a slight edge to Epstein but Cashman is right there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Cashman has no self respect, Period, end of discussion !! Like I said earlier, even though it took a Gorilla suit, Theo showed he was willing to walk away unless the organization was willing to let him do the job he is getting paid to do !! Cashman just takes the payday and let's George or the Little Stiens do all the work !! Cashman is a classic "Yes Man" in just about every sense of the phrase !! If you want to be an actual GM, and just not another fall guy, then the Yankmes should be the Last organization you should be looking to work for !! Can anybody name an idea that was Cashman's, that the organization actually followed through on ?? I cracked up the other day when I heard an announcer on ESPN say that Cashman didn't like to be leveraged !! I think the guy's middle name is Leveraged !! He reminds me much like the guy on the old TV show "Millionaire" who was the delivery guy, for some eccentric Millionaire, who handed out Million dollar checks to unsuspecting people each week and we got to see how they acted !! Much like Cashman's job with the Yankmes !! There is no slight edge, It's Theo in a landslide !! I would have a little more respect for Cashman if he walked away from that circus and got a real GM Job elsewhere, it's not like he's needed in NY !!

GO SOX 2009 !!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lowell4MVP. Show Lowell4MVP's posts

27 Rings:

How can you give Theo credit for 2003 and, partially 2004? Those were Duqette teams.

They're both very good GMs, both operating with tremendous resources, but under different sets of circumstances.

They've both made good moves, and very bad ones.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Tell me truthfully. If Theo had an endless budget, wouldn't he have signed many of Cashman's bombs also?
    Didn't we try to sign many of them?
    And didn't Theo want ARod first?
    Please!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

[Quote]Cashman isn't really a GM. I don't mean that in a negative way, but the NYY primary operating philosophy is to simply sign the best players. There really isn't a lot of management to that. There wasn't any doubt that Sabathia, Tex, and at least one other FA SP was signing with them. There isn't a Plan A, Plan B, etc. With atlanta, the question was what to do if they didn't get Burnett. In Boston, the question was what to do if they didn't get Tex. These aren't questions raised in NY.[/Quote]

It's kinda how I feel about it. Every team, but the Yankees sign any given player because they need a piece for the puzzle so to speak. The Yankees seem to care more about being the favorites to win it all than to actually win it all. Their fans (most, not all) seem to relish in the fact that they can just throw money at a problem. It's a fantasy. Most people can't do that in real life. Most people love instant gradification. Maybe this has become part of the Yankee mystique that draws fans? I think Theo is the clear choice over Cashman, but wouldn't be without his scouts. You don't have to be the greastest scout in the world to realize how good Texeria or Sabathia (in the regular season of course) is ... just ask your nearest 10yr old?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from billy13. Show billy13's posts

Cashman is the worst GM in sports. He is wrong 8 out of ten. Epstein has a few misses like every GM, but heres a list of the boneheads by Crashman. The guy is terrible!!! Drafted Mark Prior but did not sign him Drafted Drew Henson Traded Mike Lowell for Mark Johnson, Ed Yarnall and Todd Noel Let Jeff Nelson go in free agency Traded for Denny Neagle Signed Jason Giambi Signed Rondell White Signed Sterling Hitchcock Signed Steve Karsay Traded Damaso Marte for Enrique Wilson Selected John-Ford Griffin in MLB draft over Noah Lowry Selected Bronson Sardinha in MLB draft over David Wright Traded Ted Lilly for Jeff Weaver Traded Nick Johnson, Juan Rivera and Randy Choate for Javier Vasquez Traded Jeff Weaver for Randy Brown Let Andy Pettitte go in free agency Signed Gary Sheffield Acquired Randy Johnson for Javier Vazquez, Brad Halsey, Dioner Navarro and cash Signed Jose Contreras and later traded him for Esteban Loaiza Drafted Jonathan Poterson ahead of Huston Street in 2004 MLB Draft Signed Tony Womack Signed Kenny Lofton Signed Jared Wright Signed Carl Pavano Signed Kyle Farnsworth Traded Ramon Ramirez and Eduardo Sierra for Shawn Chacon Signed Kei Igawa after missing out on Daisuke Matsuzaka, spurning Ted Lilly and Gil Meche Signed Octavio Dotel Signed LaTroy Hawkins

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

[Quote]27 Rings:

How can you give Theo credit for 2003 and, partially 2004? Those were Duqette teams.

They're both very good GMs, both operating with tremendous resources, but under different sets of circumstances.

They've both made good moves, and very bad ones.[/Quote]

19 of 25 players on2004 team were Theo's players in no specific order and many of 2003 players were his as well:

Kapler
    Foulke
    Schilling
    Embre
    Williamson
    Walker
    Bellhorn
    Millar
    OC
    Mienky
    Wake (Resigned)
    Trot (Resigned)
    Arroyo
    Mueller
    Ortiz
    Giambi
    Timlin
    Burnett
    Roberts
    Reese
    Myers

I forgot DD signed the real hero's of the 2004 Miracle:

Ortiz, Schilling and Foulke

There is no question Theo is better because he has signed major FA, traded for players and still maintained a farm system that is producing results. Cashman forgot about the farm and draft after Stick left.

They only paid attention to it after they realized buying players may not work, then of course went onto buy more players.

When you look at Cashman really he needs to be more judged 2000/2001 thru present because up til then it was orginizational decisions they were not all his.

That said he has produced allot of playoff's ect but NYY only consider season success if they win it all so therefore he has been unsuccessful.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

[Quote]How can u even consider cashman a GM. What does he actually do? When he does make a deceision he gets overruled. Theo was 1 good inning from getting to 3 World Series in 5 years and He has created a minor league MACHINE.[/Quote]

You could say 2 good innings from 4 World Series 2003 Game 7 8th inning.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[Quote]Tell me truthfully. If Theo had an endless budget, wouldn't he have signed many of Cashman's bombs also? Didn't we try to sign many of them? And didn't Theo want ARod first? Please![/Quote]

Still, we won 95+ 5 out of 6 seasons since Theo's been in charge. Had we had ARod at SS, we'd have been over 100 each season, and still would've had a lower payroll than the NYY. that has to tell you something.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

Poor Cash...He has not fielded a top of the line position player since he became GM from within the Yankee system. Do you think Gene Michael might have had the right idea? Cash needs to buy his toys with, well, Cash!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

Poor Cash...He has not fielded a top of the line position player since he became GM from within the Yankee system. Do you think Gene Michael might have had the right idea? Cash needs to buy his toys with, well, Cash!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

Sections
Shortcuts