1. You have chosen to ignore posts from schmangell. Show schmangell's posts

Face Facts - TB pitching & Manager are better

My hat is off to TB. If the Sox do not pull this one out, I'll be rooting for them to go all the way. I like their team, particularly Kazmir, Bartlett and Pena. They have proved all of us wrong staying atop the AL East this far into the season.

But it ain't over yet. Our guys have been there before and that goes a long way come playoff time. Getting all freaked out over single games or even single series is pointless. You know we're still only 2 1/2 back. Geez.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from keepmanny7. Show keepmanny7's posts

they wont rely on him. his role has been reduced to mop up detail and last resort pitcher in 14 inning games after the hitting and some bad calls have screwed over the rest of the staff.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kcsoxfan64151. Show kcsoxfan64151's posts

Why did Terry Francona pinch-run Crisp with 2 outs and a runner on 1st (Varitek) in the 7th inning last night? The pitcher had not allowed a stolen base in something like 12 starts, and if it was going to be so hard to steal, and especially with 2 outs, how much did inserting Crisp really enhance our chances of scoring that inning. Maybe a few percentage points?? Ellsbury then made an out after a few pitches and both Crisp and Varitek were out of the game. Crisp might have made a big difference in the 9th inning as a pinch-runner for Lowell after a lead-off walk.

And why was Terry bunting on Tuesday with Varitek with a runner on first in the bottom of the 9th and nobody out, when (1) Percival was clearly having trouble finding the strike zone and (2) by bunting, you would, in effect, take the bat out of Ortiz's hands (who was on-deck and who the Rays surely would have walked), and put the game in the hands of Coco Crisp (who was in the hole). And why did he wait until there were 2 outs to pinch run with Ellsbury?

Terry is like everyone. He has his strong points and he has his weak points. His strong points as a manager are keeping the players focused and a calm clubhouse. His weak points relate to game strategy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmm21. Show gmm21's posts

No way the Dodgers get past the Cubs in round 1; I am not even worried about it.

And this is allot like 05, defending 04 WS Champs, a WC entry the following season, then out in round 1.

Thats the way I see it folks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gradcomm. Show gradcomm's posts

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyfromBK. Show JohnnyfromBK's posts

TBPATS Fan, were you on here singing the praises of your crappy team last year. So shut the hell up, Id say well see ya in the second round, but you wont be there. Red Sox are a better team than the Rays, that will be proven when you are on the raod against Anaheim and we are beating down the White Sox/Twins at home. Book it and lock it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyfromBK. Show JohnnyfromBK's posts

To ScoobyIdiot, when the Dodgers play a team not in the west in the playoffs which they will they will go down in 3 games. The Cubs would smoke that team. Manny would have helped us last night for sure, but the Dodgers in the world series is hilarious.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from txHeat. Show txHeat's posts

[Quote]
    To ScoobyIdiot, when the Dodgers play a team not in the west in the playoffs which they will they will go down in 3 games. The Cubs would smoke that team. Manny would have helped us last night for sure, but the Dodgers in the world series is hilarious.

[/Quote]

Hey Johnny from BangKok (j/k). You are right on man. Scoobie doesn't know Doobie.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyT. Show TroyT's posts

I don't like Maddon...he's cocky too. Kind of reminds me of a 50's TV repair man.

Well, I think we'll be OK. We still won 2 WS titles despite Tito's questionable managing :)

Now let's beat the Jays!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PSFever. Show PSFever's posts

I still say Tampa will lose to us in the 1rst round. They don't have a 300 hitter in their lineup and their pitching will get caught up with. The Sox will beat them with or without the Home field advantage.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PSFever. Show PSFever's posts

I still say Tampa will lose to us in the 1rst round. They don't have a 300 hitter in their lineup and their pitching will get caught up with. The Sox will beat them with or without the Home field advantage.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PSFever. Show PSFever's posts

Tampa will lose with or without the Home field advantage to the Sox in round one. That I will bet my life on, the Angels will be the team to beat.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from beckettfan. Show beckettfan's posts

I don't understand why we are using Crisp as a pinch runner when he has been hitting well the past few weeks. He should have been used as a pinch hitter or better yet, been the leadoff hitter and in the game instead of Ellsbury. Ells should be a pinch runner. However, Timlin aside (please don't let him make the playoff roster), we should have won that game well before extra innings. Our middle of the lineup was pathetic at the plate. We can't win games with our 4-7 guys going 0 for 17.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

The fact that Terry didn't ask Youkie to bunt with runners on 1st and 2nd, nobody out, and the Sox in sudden death overtime where 1 run wins the game and we all go home, is simply criminal. There can be zero defense of this decision, and thus the almost total silence from the usual Terry apologists. Some might argue that Youk may not be a good bunter, and my response would be simply-who's fault is that?! It is a managers job to be sure that all his players have at least a basic proficiency in their required skills. Bunting is a required skill, and necessary at times if the goal is to win games. Remember, we were not "playing for the big inning" here. One run scored means we walked off the field with a win in hand. Terry was horrible last night on many fronts. He is an inferior ingame manager and I'd LOOOOOOVE to hear somebody attempt to explain away last nights buffoonery. Bert or Joe? Anyone have a differing view to offer on Terry's performance last night? Are the rest of us missing something? I'd really like to hear a different angle because I'm so negative towards Terry that I'd welcome his firing right now. And that's almost never a smart thing to do mere weeks away from the post season. That's just how mad I am at the moment.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreamer007. Show dreamer007's posts

[Quote]The fact that Terry didn't ask Youkie to bunt with runners on 1st and 2nd, nobody out, and the Sox in sudden death overtime where 1 run wins the game and we all go home, is simply criminal. There can be zero defense of this decision, and thus the almost total silence from the usual Terry apologists. Some might argue that Youk may not be a good bunter, and my response would be simply-who's fault is that?! It is a managers job to be sure that all his players have at least a basic proficiency in their required skills. Bunting is a required skill, and necessary at times if the goal is to win games. Remember, we were not "playing for the big inning" here. One run scored means we walked off the field with a win in hand. Terry was horrible last night on many fronts. He is an inferior ingame manager and I'd LOOOOOOVE to hear somebody attempt to explain away last nights buffoonery. Bert or Joe? Anyone have a differing view to offer on Terry's performance last night? Are the rest of us missing something? I'd really like to hear a different angle because I'm so negative towards Terry that I'd welcome his firing right now. And that's almost never a smart thing to do mere weeks away from the post season. That's just how mad I am at the moment.[/Quote]

youk was not hitting well this series, so a bunt would have been
    worth a try... hell, big papi laid down a bunt that worked.

doesnt it seem like tek was coming up with men on base
    with two outs for a couple of months, then obiwan jacoby
    was handed the job ...neither have had good results...
    thats one of the frustrating parts of baseball

OTOH two heartbreaking losses in a row is better now than
    the post season

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Cora and Timlin are veterans. At this point in their careers, experience is probably their biggest assets. Timlin should know not to throw anything close to the plate to Pena and Cora should know not to swing at a 2-0 pitch with 2 outs, 2 on and down by 2. They shouldn't have to be told - they aren;t rookies.

I guess if they keep doing the same things over and over you have to tell them !!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

I thought Dans comments was a very amusing display of ignorance.

He mentioned all of the players that the Angels have and reasoning that on why they are so good. Well they have had most of those players for a few years now and they have yet to win it all. EVEN WITH ALL OF THOSE BLACK AND HISPANIC PLAYERS. Has it ever dawned on you that maybe the Angels clinched so early is because they play in a crap division? They only have a 3 game better record than the Sox do and that is while playing in a much weaker division. DUH? Race of players has nothing to with it.

Conversly, The Sox have won 2 WS in the past few years, WITH ALL OF THOSE WHITE PLAYERS. So, your point is unbelievably off base. You don't have to have and abundance of hispanic/black players to win. You just need a good solid team, regardless of their race.

What is wrong with having Jason Bay, Drew, or Wake? All are solid players. Wake is in the top 10 of many pitching categories. Byrd was just a late pick up mostly needed because of his experience, and has done a decent job. Particularly for a #5 starter.

Yes they have some aging veteran white players, just as many teams I am sure have aging veteran black/hispanic players. And yes, there are some good aging black/hispanic players out there, just as there are good aging white players out there.

Trying to compare the different races of players, and separating them in different classes/categories makes you the prejudice guy. A team should be judged purley on talent (which the Sox have plenty of), not on how much of each race is on your team.

I can't believe that I had to explain that to someone.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikezep61. Show mikezep61's posts

[Quote]Sometimes I wonder if Casey is even on this team - it seams he never plays or pinch hits[/Quote]

Casey doesn't play because he has ZERO power and would tie Greg Luzinski as the slowest player in the history of baseball. We need to pick up a legitimate backup first basemen who has more talent. I know, I know, his average is good, but he is solely a bango hitter with very little run-producing ability. He's a one-tool player at best (he hits singles very well, but then clogs up the basepaths).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikezep61. Show mikezep61's posts

[Quote] The more obvious problem on this team is that the FO, meaning Theo, seems to not realize the talent and value of Hispanic and Black players. He has this team more and more lily-white all the time, and then you wonder why they get lousy performances out of cranky old men like Timlin and Varitek and Wakefield, and no performance at all out of Schilling.
    Boston has one, count 'em, one black player, Coco Crisp, and they tried to bury him for most of the year.
    They have 2 half-Hispanic players in Lowell and Javy Lopez, and then they have Alex Cora, Manny Delcarmen and Big Papi.
    Take a look at the really good teams like the Angels. They are loaded with Santana, Guerreros, Hunters, Figgins, Kendricks, Matthews, Sanchez, Anderson, Perez and many more. They are not afraid to get past the non-white "quota" the way that Theo is, and they are reaping the benefits.
    Boston only keeps black or Hispanic players who are at the very top of the pile, and then they quickly get rid of them if they say anything they dont like. As in Mo Vaughn, Nomar, Pedro, Manny etc.
    And guess what folks, dont be one bit surprised in David Ortiz is gone next year too, but Varitek will be back. Count on it!!
    [/Quote]

You cannot possibly be suggesting that letting Vaughn, Nomar, and Pedro go were bad moves, are you?????

Let's see. Mo Vaughn was simply ATROCIOUS after he left the Sox and the Angels signed him to one of the worst contracts for a team in baseball history ($80 million for NOTHIN'). Letting Mo Vaughn leave was one of the best moves the front office has ever made.

Nomar pouted his way out of Boston and we won a World Series immediately. Is that bad for the Red Sox front office????? Letting Nomar leave was one of the best moves the front office has ever made.

Pedro's won-lost record over the past THREE seasons is 17-13, for a man making a FORTUNE! If the Red Sox front office had "invested" (more like lost) that money on Pedro, who knows if they would have one last year's World Series. Letting Pedro leave was one of the best moves this front office has ever made.

I guess we'll have to see what happens with Manny. But you have to ask yourself whether it's a moot point or not when the RED SOX PLAYERS voted him off the island, not the front office. Get it??? His teammates know he quit on them.

Isn't "counting" the number of non-white players in itself an act of racist behavior?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikezep61. Show mikezep61's posts

Dan,

I can't argue with your assessment of Schilling, Timlin, and Varitek, who is one of the worst clutch hitters I've ever seen. He's also one of the worst contact hitters I've ever seen as well. He doesn't even he make productive outs!

I was actually a big Manny fan, defender, and apologist until the last few weeks in a Red Sox uniform. I actually even defended him when he looked at three straight pitches from Mariano Rivera and when he walked down the first base line during Lackey's attempted no hitter.

The turning point for me was when Manny decided that the Yankee series was the perfect time to hold the team hostage and beg out of the game with another "mystery" injury (as he had done for the last month of 2006). The Red Sox called his bluff, had him get the MRIs and exposed him as a pathetic liar and cheat. He basically was giving the team, his teammates, but most importantly the fans who pay his incredible salary through their loyal support the middle finger.

He had an obligation to fulfull an incredibly lucrative contract by being a good teammate and do what he got paid handsomely to do. He decided to do neither.

I stand by my comments that getting rid of Vaughn, Nomar, and Pedro were three TREMENDOUSLY BENEFICIAL decisions for this organization, and should not be used as credible examples of the Red Sox alleged racism. You can't possibly believe that keeping either of these three would have been wise decisions, do you? I mean, really, all three completely and totally sucked big-time after they left the Sox.

Wouldn't you put Lugo in your example of players who completely and totally suck, but are protected by the Sox due to racism? I guess not since he's not white and that does not fit the argument as you see fit.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

[Quote] MikeZ,
    The fact is that the Red Sox tend to hang on to lousy white players, and you simply cannot dispute that fact.
    Why is Timlin still there? Explain that to me please. Why is Varitek still playing every day, while hitting a lusty .225? Why was Schilling allowed to hang around and take up space, while offering nothing more than his big mouth?
    And meanwhile, the guy who protected Big Papi so well in the lineup for the past 5 years, is in Dodger Blue, hitting .398?
    Face it, if you are honest, the Red Sox would never have traded away a player as productive as Manny, if they had been thinking clearly.
    You are truly buying the Kool-Aid if you believe those stories about the teammates voting Manny off the team. That has been proven false. It was Varitek and Schilling, and probably Timlin. It sure as hell was not the entire team.
    And when you get right down to it, why should Timlin or Schilling, who have contributed absolutely ZERO this year, be asked their opinion of Manny, who was playing almost every game, and hitting .300 with 20 HR's.
    How many games did Manny sit out this season? Maybe 6 or 7? He played more than everyone except Pedroia, and at age 36.
    So don't give me your crap about how Manny "deserved" to be traded. Manny loves LA. It is the Red Sox who are worse off without him, and not because Jason Bay is a bad player. Simply because Manny is a "great" player, the kind of player who made Ortiz a star.
    [/Quote]

There is one big difference between Timlin/Schilling/Tek and Manny other than skin color. Manny wanted to be traded while Timlin/Schilling and Tek want to stay with the team.

But I hear what you are saying - the team is becoming more white and will contniue to do so when Coco and Lugo are gone. But, they did sign Lowell (an older hispanic player) to a contract and signed 2 Asian players. And I'm not sure you can place 100% blame on the FO. The number of players in the league that are African-American has steadily declined, for whatever reason.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

[Quote]

Agreed. I think what we saw last night was akin to the game v the Yankees late in Aug of 2006, when it came down to Pap v Jeter, and Jeter got the hit, a run scored, and the Sox lost. To me, that was a moment for the Sox to galvanize and make a run for it, but it went the other way. Similar moment last night: Had the Sox won that battle it may have turned the tables and served as a rallying point for the remainder of the season. Me thinks the Rays are unstoppable at this point.[/Quote]

You think the Rays are unstoppable? They got swept by the Jays and could have easily gotten swept by the Red Sox. Had Game 2 not been Paps 4th appearance in 4 games, me thinks he would have gotten the save. And had the 3rd game not been Beckett's 2nd start after coming off the DL, he would have gone an extra inning or 2, and Timlin never gets in the game - in other words, the Sox would have won.

Unstoppable? The Rays came into town reeling. They're lucky they're not starting a series in Yankee Stadium on a 6 game losing streak.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roast1999. Show Roast1999's posts

"These last two games show that Terry Francona is actually getting worse at managing a game."

"another 'coma apologist! he's out coached even when the sox win!"

Honestly... You guys are pitiful and it's people like you who make me embarassed to be a Red Sox fan. It's almost like you want the Red Sox to fail, because when they don't you have no excuse to complain about something. Was Tito in a coma when he managed the Red Sox to an 8-0 record in the two World Series that he won? Get a clue

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roast1999. Show Roast1999's posts

Yeah, you're right. The team was the one who decided to pinch hit Kielty in the World Series last year, not Francona. And in the deciding game four it was whose home run that in actuality made the difference in the game? Oh yah...

MORONS

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

You may be correct this year. Hicky and Madden are coaching excellent, and I give them more credit for Tampa winning than the talent they have on the team.

Sections
Shortcuts