1. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Fox:" the Red Sox are coming away with someone"

Massarotti has conjectured that getting Tazawa means that the Sox are more likely to go and get a top free agent. His reasoning is that Tazawa is ostensibly the 2009 draft pick that the Sox lose for signing a type A free agent.

I look at Tazawa as a further reason to think that the Sox should not bother doling out a big contract this winter. As exciting as signings are because we all get to imagine how much the player will contribute, there is no really good fit out there for the Sox, IMO. If there wre a top free agent catcher to be singed, it would be a perfect fit. But the Sox do not need a firstbaseman. And I do not think they really need a starting pitcher badly enough to spend the kind of money being suggested.

What they do need is a RH hitting outfielder who can play CF (for more than a game or two at a time), and perhaps a backup corner infielder. I would hate to see them use of prospects to land backup players, so I would like to see these positions filled through the FA market, and that means Sox would not "come away with someone." At least not the kind of someone Rosenthal has in mind.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulRodgers. Show PaulRodgers's posts

tazawa chose the sox, for reasons other than money. would that hinder future overseas signings by doing tazawa wrong that way? others may think twice due to the sox shrewed treatment. taz would start with high hopes in a great organization, only to be shipped somewhere he did not want to go. say good bye to attracting any other japanese players.

you and i would be pissed, i know that!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[Quote]Massarotti has conjectured that getting Tazawa means that the Sox are more likely to go and get a top free agent. His reasoning is that Tazawa is ostensibly the 2009 draft pick that the Sox lose for signing a type A free agent.

I look at Tazawa as a further reason to think that the Sox should not bother doling out a big contract this winter. As exciting as signings are because we all get to imagine how much the player will contribute, there is no really good fit out there for the Sox, IMO. If there wre a top free agent catcher to be singed, it would be a perfect fit. But the Sox do not need a firstbaseman. And I do not think they really need a starting pitcher badly enough to spend the kind of money being suggested.

What they do need is a RH hitting outfielder who can play CF (for more than a game or two at a time), and perhaps a backup corner infielder. I would hate to see them use of prospects to land backup players, so I would like to see these positions filled through the FA market, and that means Sox would not "come away with someone." At least not the kind of someone Rosenthal has in mind.[/Quote]

I agree almost completely with what you are saying.

Forget Teixeira. He is a very, very good player trying to be paid like a great player. And for too long.

I am all for exploring the utility player markets. I do think the Sox will need some sort of multi-position guy, and there could possibly be three of them avaiable. Rob Mackowiak is a free agent, and rumor has it both Chris Burke and Scott Harrison will be non-tendered. So if you like guys who cannot hit. As usual, and I make this suggestion every year - what exactly is the asking price for Ryan Freel?

I would be more aggressive after a starting pitcher, but only a top tier one. Love Peavy, but apparently he is afraid of Fenway. <sigh> Wonder if Matt Cain can be had.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from billy13. Show billy13's posts

Its clear that Tex will take 8-10 yrs to get. I dont think the sox will go there. I think he will stay in LA unless the yanks dont get CC. The yanks will end up with CC. I really question our chances for Tex.

Burnett is not going to get 5 yrs from the sox. No chance. Neither is Lowe. Sorry guys, but none of them are coming to Boston. Better start some posts on what we do if we dont get Tex. What other pitching options are out there, other than big free agents. Maybe start to look at sheets, Penny, Kawakami, some others. Finding a stick for the middle of the order will be tougher.

The way this market is shaping up, I dont see the sox getting anybody. The only guy they really want is Tex. Maybe Boras will work his magic and get Tex into our hands, so he can position his other free agents.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PSFever. Show PSFever's posts

If Tex wants to play on the East Coast it will be for Boston. Thats really all we need out of the FA market this season other than possibly Baldelli. If Tex does land in Boston, the Yankees will probably get C.C. because they need him most. I also see the Yankees looking at Burnett, Lowe, Dunn, Burrell and Manny if they are to contend in 09.

The Angels don't need Sabathia who could be his only West Coast connection other than the Giants. If the Angels lose Tex after trading Kotchman it would really put them in a tough situation. They could possibly trade for a bat, or sign Manny, Anderson, Burrell or Dunn. I really don't see Manny and Schocia co-existing but you never know. The Angels will also never win all the (one run) games they did last season without KRod so they should try and sign him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I am all for exploring the utility player markets. I do think the Sox will need some sort of multi-position guy, and there could possibly be three of them avaiable. Rob Mackowiak is a free agent, and rumor has it both Chris Burke and Scott Harrison will be non-tendered. So if you like guys who cannot hit. As usual, and I make this suggestion every year - what exactly is the asking price for Ryan Freel?

I agree that we need a stronger bench. I like Freel, but his away stats don't look like much. I think having a #4++ in Crisp was irreplaceable last year. With Manny's fielding and injury risks no longer with us, having a great #4 is not quite the need it was, but Drew remains a significant injury risk, Papi will need the occasional PR, and Lowell remains a candidate for down time. And I like the flexibility supplied by a guy that can play both IF and OF.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

Why do the Sox "need" a big bat in the line up? Of course it would be nice. It woud also be nice to have 5 Cy Young award winners as our starting rotation and 8 MVP winners on the field. We had one of the best offenses last year and that was with injuries to 3 of our main hitters as well as having Manny dogging it for over a month. I don't see why we have "a need" there.

The only reason we may need a big bat is "if" we have health problems next year. Tex is a whole lot of money to spend because of an "if".

"if" we are healthy:

- we don't need anyone (not counting catcher and utility players). Most teams would kill to have a healthy line-up of Ped, Papi, Bay, Youk, Lowell, and Drew. That is the same theory as saying a rotation isn't good enough becuae we only have 3 Cy Young winners on it instead of 5. This is a very potent line-up.

"if" we aren't healthy during the season:

we still have enough talent to stay in the running, and to then we can make a trade for a big time bat sometime during the season before the trading the deadline.

As far as longevity goes of have Tex, I am sure there will be plenty of other big time bats available in free agency in the upcoming years that we will then "need" once Papi and Lowell decide to hang them up.