1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tommiller4025. Show tommiller4025's posts

Francona is a idiot

Don't give Francona too much credit - the players are the ones who pull the game out despite Francona's mistakes - the players are the one who won the Series. In fact, it seems they win despite him. He's

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tommiller4025. Show tommiller4025's posts

Francona is a idiot

Don't give Francona too much credit - the players are the ones who pull the game out despite Francona's mistakes - the players are the one who won the Series. In fact, it seems they win despite him. He's lucky

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from longview1967. Show longview1967's posts

Francona is a idiot

Obviously, it wasn't ideal to have to bring in Papelbon (or K-Rod) for six outs. However, both managers were willing to do it if the situation warranted it. If Shields had started off with a walk, maybe K-Rod comes in then. You have to manage for the series and beyond, not just the game. It's a balance.

i would like to see MDC and Lopez get some work soon. Lopez was consistant throughout, and MDC has been very strong of late. No need to overuse a few guys.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from billsrul. Show billsrul's posts

Francona is a idiot

[Quote]Obviously, it wasn't ideal to have to bring in Papelbon (or K-Rod) for six outs. However, both managers were willing to do it if the situation warranted it. If Shields had started off with a walk, maybe K-Rod comes in then. You have to manage for the series and beyond, not just the game. It's a balance.

i would like to see MDC and Lopez get some work soon. Lopez was consistant throughout, and MDC has been very strong of late. No need to overuse a few guys.[/Quote]

I'd love to see those guys get some work too. That's why I'm hoping we win game 3 by at least 5 runs or so. Unfortunately, I don't think that's going to happen, and here's what I want in the late innigs (after the 6th) out of the bullpen:

Inning with RHB- Masterson
    Inning with LHB- Okie
    Closer (if tying run comes up in 8th he should come in) Papelbon

I guess if a LHB comes up in the 6th with a ton of RHB around him, I wouldn't mind Lopez coming in. And I kind of like the idea of MDC in in a 3-run game in the 8th innings. But my favorite relievers right now are Masterson and Okie, and in a tight game thats who Terry must turn to.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slikrick04. Show slikrick04's posts

Francona is a idiot

You probably couldn't even coach a whiffle ball team....

Enjoy the playoffs and leave the coaching to Tito.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DADDYOBOB. Show DADDYOBOB's posts

Francona is a idiot

[Quote]There's no question that Francona is a great clubhouse manager. However, he is a weak game manager. There are a lot of Kool-Aid drinkers on here, but my opinion is completely objective. If Francona was comfortable enough to go 2 innings with Papelbon AFTER the the Sox got into trouble, why didn't he go to him immediately? Why did he wait until the tying run was at 3rd? The logic of waiting for Masterson to get into trouble before bringing in Papelbon is silly. I understand when Francona sends a setup man out there for another inning during the regular season. He wants to keep Papelbon as rested as possible. But why does he do it in the regular season???? So he can use him more in the postseason. But in the postseason, what is he waiting for??? The ALCS??? If we win Sunday 13-2 on Sunday, Papelbon will have a full week off before the ALCS starts. Last night was a perfect example of when you need two innings from Papelbon. By winning last night, we have complete control of the series. If you couldn't go to Papelbon for two innings last night, you'll never use him for two innings. Ask yourselves Red Sox fans. If you had a two run lead in Game 7 of the World Series with six outs to go, who would you go to? Unequivocally, you should answer Jonathan Papelbon. He is one of the top 3 or 4 relievers in all of baseball. He has gone more than one inning several times this season. No one would question Francona if he did it. If Pap would have blown it, NO ONE would criticize. Why? Because he lost with his best pitcher on the hill. In conclusion, Francona seems like a great guy. He handles the clubhouse and the media really well. I probably criticize him too much for his mistakes and forget all the good moves he has made, but there are moves that just make you wonder what he was thinking. Last night's use of Papelbon was an example of the latter. Thank God Papi and JD Drew passed their own bailout bill yesterday because it was a move that could have completely changed the series.[/Quote]

Absolutely correct. Definitely a win that can be attributed to the heroics of the players, AGAIN. That non-move was just like when he waited for there to be 2 outs before he pinch ran with ellsbury, and when he had V-tek up trying to bunt, with 3 other catchers sitting there on the bench. He's good at a lot of things, but his logic is sometimes baffling during crucial in game situations.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Francona is a idiot

He's good at a lot of things, but his logic is sometimes baffling during crucial in game situations.

Yet oddly enough, Tito always seems to be on the winning end of things. He's got a good team, but so do the NYY, LAA, the Cubs, the Mets. All good teams.

Why is Tito so lucky? Why do the players always bail him him, while the brilliant managers like Scioscia, Girardi, Randolph/Manual, and Pinella don't get bailed out?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Francona is a idiot

You haters sound more and more insane as time goes on. "The players win despite him" blah blah blah. That is as tired as a Yankee fan bragging about 26 championships. Again, you can debate in game moves all day. But, just because the manager makes a different decision than you would like, that doesn't make him an idiot. That makes him more knowledgable than YOU, with more input from other coaches than YOU, with more experience than YOU, with more management support regarding philosophy than YOU. Basically, I trust the decisions Tito makes more than I would trust YOU.

It is now 2-0 and you guys still won't let it rest. Maybe you can all get together for a "bitchfest" at the Rolling Rally if the Sox win it all AGAIN. Maybe Theo will add you to the staff. Then we can all say the Sox won despite YOU.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nuwriter. Show nuwriter's posts

Francona is a idiot

There are people on this planet who feel the need to criticize what they don't understand.

It makes them feel smarter about themselves.

People who think that they're wild success on the playstation qualifies them to manage a team better than the person whose name is actually on the line.

The bottom line is this: you don't have all the information that Terry Francona does. You don't know all the facts, and cannot just by watching the game on television. You don't have the scouting reports in front of you that Francona does.

You may think you know better than Francona does.

But he's led his team to two World Titles in four years, and has put his club in position for a third.

He stuck with Pedroia when you jump to conclusions thought he would never hit in the majors.

You disagree with his handling of the bullpen?

Then you think that his players success is not a result of his handling of them.

The next time you want to call Francona an idiot, take a good look at yourself. Because if you can't figure out that this is the best manager in baseball right now then you aren't nearly as clever as you think you are.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Francona is a idiot

I just realized that Tito needs no more defending from me. Go read today's Dan Shaughnessy article on Tito. All your questions will be answered. If the facts are not good enough for you, then I suggest you coach little league and work your way up to the major leagues. If you can get there quickly, you can save the Red Sox organization from the ruin that Tito has created.

If you think you have the answers, than grab a bat and lets see what you got. Otherwise, pipe down and enjoy the games.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Francona is a idiot

[Quote]He's good at a lot of things, but his logic is sometimes baffling during crucial in game situations.

Yet oddly enough, Tito always seems to be on the winning end of things. He's got a good team, but so do the NYY, LAA, the Cubs, the Mets. All good teams.

Why is Tito so lucky? Why do the players always bail him him, while the brilliant managers like Scioscia, Girardi, Randolph/Manual, and Pinella don't get bailed out?
    [/Quote]

(I realize that was a rhetorical question on Joe's part.)

In his column about Tito in today's Globe, Shaughnessy talks about how the Red Sox players would walk on their lips on busted glass to win for Tito. They love the guy. He treats them like men and he isn't afraid to put them in spots where failure will not only make them look bad, it will make him look bad. Over time that seems to pay off tremendously. We keep seeing guys come through in the clutch.

It's not luck.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Francona is a idiot

It comes from playing a lot of poker growing up, as well as a fair amount of pool. Every poker can get lucky, and the luck can last weeks and even months. But at the end of the day, there is no such thing as luck, only probability. The guys that go home with the money are the best players.

There used to be a guy I'd shoot pool with. We'd only play for beers. He'd criticize the way I broke, the way I held the cue, the way I lined up shots. I must have beaten him easily 25 in a row, and I wouldn't be shocked if it was closer to 50.

And he might've been right. But at the end of the day, he couldn't beat me anymore than I could beat Fat Larry. And ast the end of the day, all the talk about which poker player was good and which pool player was good, was all just meaningless noise. The successful ones were the good ones.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Francona is a idiot

[Quote]

In his column about Tito in today's Globe, Shaughnessy talks about how the Red Sox players would walk on their lips on busted glass to win for Tito. They love the guy. He treats them like men and he isn't afraid to put them in spots where failure will not only make them look bad, it will make him look bad. Over time that seems to pay off tremendously. We keep seeing guys come through in the clutch.

It's not luck.[/Quote]

Exactly. While I rarely agree with CHB, that was a spot on article which should send the bashers running...but it won't. They get off on bashing!

Sections
Shortcuts