1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Game 1: Sox at Angels - Lester vs. Lackey

Paps at all this inning?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3007291. Show user_3007291's posts

ELLSBURY!! ENOUGH SAID.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

soilsoxfan, I don't think you understand something. Everyone appreciates like crazy what Ortiz has meant to this team. When he was good, he really was better than Manny. But, as Liza Minnelli is reported to have said, "you ain't great if you ain't great." And that means you ain't great anymore when the opposing manager instructs his catcher to throw nothing worth hitting to Pedroia so he can get to Ortiz--and the Ortiz strikes out. In the biggest game so far this year.
    Yes, Ortiz could still be great, but it sure looks as though the bloom is off the rose. I mean, isn't this the postseason? And isn't this first game of a five game series, on the road yet, pretty dadgum crucial?
    Meanwhile, a rookie who has been much maligned on this board, is outplaying and outhitting Ortiz in the same exact game. Jake just made a great grab in short center.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveM1967a. Show DaveM1967a's posts

Why isn't Pap in?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ND. Show ND's posts

Is Francona nuts? I am sure he has stats on pitchers, relievers and closers; and he gets Masterson who's been pitching badly and has give a bunch og HRs. I mean get Oki in a close game like this. He takes forever to get 3 outs. and its to the credit of fielders . His pitching SUCKS

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

Despite my earlier complaint about Francona not calling for a bunt from Pedroia after Ellsbury's leadoff double, I do think that he has clearly outmanaged Scioscia in this game. First and foremost, Scioscia called for the high hard one that Bay hit out after Lackey's curve ball had been so effective against Bay. Second Scioscia tells his guys that they must get from first to third on a single, so that's what Guerrero tried to do and was out by a mile. Third, I think Scioscia tries to overcontrol the game so that his players don't have much iniative or gumption. By doing less, it sure seems as though Francona is actually doing more to help his team.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bw777. Show bw777's posts

Why isn't coco pinch running for lowrie???

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3007291. Show user_3007291's posts

Ellsbury drives in Lowerie. Bad day for Softsoap.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beckholzdicelester. Show beckholzdicelester's posts

wow!! heading for the exits down 2 in the 9th of game 1 of the playoffs???

that is pretty lame.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Ell's is the most clutch player we have.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

The Lowrie-Ells transaction in the 9th will certainly cause a lot of older threads to come back up about these guys. Ells is having a great game; Jed didn't put his head down, after a bad start and made a huge contribution with the lead-off hit/run.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mpeck420. Show mpeck420's posts

Ellsbury for president

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlowPuffs. Show SlowPuffs's posts

Thank you Lester, Bay, Ellsbury (defense & offense), Youk (defense), Tek (calling the game for Lester & bunt) & Tito (making the right moves)

:) :) :) :) :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

[Quote]I must be the only left on this board. Earlier this year, I complained that Tek won't call for a curve ball, and boy was I wrong. He has called for a million of them tonight because it's obvious the Angels can't hit Lester's. Well done, Tek.[/Quote]

+1

Uncle Charlie was keeping them from hitting the 95mph well-placed heaters. Oh, and the cutters were pretty effective, as well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

[Quote]

This is absolutely amazing. A man on third, two outs, and Oriz at bat. In days of yore, it was a no-brainer--walk him and pitch to Manny or whoever. No more. And what happens? Big papi strikes out with a man on third.

[/Quote]

Which time?

As you know, he just knocked Ells in for their 4th run.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

Well, Ellsbury is now 3 for 4 with two stolen bases and has yet to score. But he does have a huge RBI, a clean single scoring Lowrie. Pedroia's swing seems to have deserted him. Finally, finally, Ortiz gets a cheap grounder single with eyes and brings Ellsbury home. Not exactly the stuff of legends, but good enough.

I say again, an absolutely amazing game. Lackey started out strong and would have shut the Sox down if Scioscia hadn't called for that high fast ball that Bay hit out. Lester was also good, but the unearned runs was looking like it would hold up--until Bay's dinger. Then two great defense plays--first Jake's diving catch in short center, then Youk's quick recover on that bloop single and accurate throw to Lowell to nail Guerrero. Now a two run 9th for the Sox against the fabulous Angles bullpen.

Now Papelbon needs to come in nail this one down.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlowPuffs. Show SlowPuffs's posts

Now it's up to Paps

:) :) :) :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

[Quote]To think....we almost sent Lester to Texas for A-Rod....who will have one less rbi this post season than he's had in the last three....hee, hee[/Quote]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from boulderpatriot. Show boulderpatriot's posts

Come on cinco ocho. Remember the slider, splitter, and keep on painting the corners with the 2-seam and 4-seam fastballs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from boulderpatriot. Show boulderpatriot's posts

Alright. Nevermind on the off speed stuff. Give me the ol #1.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

What an enjoyable game to watch! To walk into their house and grab that 1st game was amazing. Lester is a stud who I hope we wrap up for many years to come. The kids were great tonight, Ellsbury 3-4 with 2 stolen bases and a web gem catch, Lowrie's clutch lead off hit in the 9th when we really needed an insurance run, Terry's management of the pitching and his bunt call with Tek to manufacture that run. Just a text book example of how to play in the post season. Grats to all of Red Sox Nation tonight!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sox-n-pats-fan. Show sox-n-pats-fan's posts

I viewed the game at Anaheim Stadium from Section 514, between home and third base.

Lester was FANTASTIC!!! He had the batters guessing all evening. He got stronger with each inning. He changed speeds very effectively. The Angels spent most of the night fouling off pitches, swinging at lousy pitches and watching called strikes. His pitch placement was terrific. He kept his velocity up all evening long. He is VERY tough on right handed hitters and the Angels lineup, tonight, was loaded with them.

I would have let him pitch the eighth. Masterson was a very chancey decision. Youkilis' throw to third was very strong and probably was decisive in the outcome of the game.

Jacoby Ellsbury's catch in the eighth saved a big rally.

Hats off to The Sox !!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from walterjohnson07. Show walterjohnson07's posts

The TBS team calling the Dodgers/Cubs game was pretty bad too. Then of course there was Michael Kay calling Brewers/Phillies. Can we NOT get away from that loser? I guess there has to be some Yankee in the postseason.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Comet. Show Comet's posts

Epstein...sign Ellsbury to a 10 year contract ASAP.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

I am on the boards this morning just for Youk's shot. Anybody else think it was fair like I did? No one seemed to complain though.

What ever happened to the old rule, if the ball is foul you will see pass in front of the pole (not lose site of the ball), and if it is fair you will lose site of the ball as it passes behind the pole.

We definitely lost site of the ball, indicating that it went behind the pole for a HR. Surprised nothing was ever said or debated.