1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waltham781. Show Waltham781's posts

Game 1: Sox at Angels - Lester vs. Lackey

Home Run Jason Bay!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JacqueStrappe. Show JacqueStrappe's posts

[Quote]

We're in the middle of the 5th, and right now it looks like Lester and Ellsbury are playing the Angels and no one else, especially not Francona. Leadoff double in the first against an excellent pitcher, and he won't let Pedroia bunt him over to third. If he had, Ortiz's grounder would have scored a run. Lowrie's error is more forgivable than Francona's error.[/Quote]

How can you predict in the first half inning of the game, with the major-league leader in hits at the plate, that 1 run will be enough to win the game? Most managers play for a crooked # at that spot in the game, especially against Jon Lackey. If you're going to get to Lackey, it's going to be early on, or very late in his outing. With the guns in Angels bullpen, I like the odds of score early . Opponents have a .352 BA and .905 OPS on the first 15 pitches he has thrown this season. Go for the jugular.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gloucesterman. Show gloucesterman's posts

anyone else think the strike zone has been a bit all over the place tonight...?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scanner28. Show Scanner28's posts

Win or lose, John Lester is proving to be the best LH in the AL.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LesterFTW. Show LesterFTW's posts

lol, GMJ you slay me

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beckholzdicelester. Show beckholzdicelester's posts

Now THAT was an error where the player deserves some crap! hopefully the sox can make the most of it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Runnels. Show Runnels's posts

We interupt with this newsflash:
    Sarah Palin is in Arizona prepping for her VP debate on Thursday night. Ms. Palin says being in Arizona helps her with her knowledge of foreign policy because "I can see Mexico from here."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

Hah! They walk Pedroia to get to Ortiz. Time to bring in Casey to pinch hit for David.

This game isn't won by a very long shot, but so far it has been pretty amazing. If the lead holds up, the acquisition of Jason Bay may have been the steal of the year, although I do appreciate the help from Mike Scioscia who called for the gopher ball.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinnimac. Show sinnimac's posts

Big Papi coming up big tonite.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rudy99. Show Rudy99's posts

They pitched around Perdoia to get to "Fatso 34"

David "I'll never take a walk" Ortiz

David "just like Minnestota"Ortiz

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

This is absolutely amazing. A man on third, two outs, and Oriz at bat. In days of yore, it was a no-brainer--walk him and pitch to Manny or whoever. No more. And what happens? Big papi strikes out with a man on third.
    Sometime soon Pedroia needs to complain he hasn't got anyone covering his back. I shouldn't write this, of course, because we need Ortiz hitting.
    Meanwhile, the guy softlaws and others have lambasted practically all season has a clean double, a bunt single and steal of second, and a hard hit ball that was misjudged and put him on third base.
    Is softlaws still around to explain why Ellsbury, the worthless one, is the best hitter in the lineup in the biggest game so far this year?
    Softlaws, where are you?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

They used to say that the only guy who could hold Michael Jordan under 20 points was his college coach Dean Smith. Well, I say the only one who can keep Ellsbury from scoring is Francona (and Pedroia, Ortiz, and Youkilis). Jake has gotten himself to second twice and third once, completely by his lonesome, and hasn't scored a run.
    That's two outs for Lester in the 7th. What a great, great pitching performance.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlowPuffs. Show SlowPuffs's posts

Hell with pitch count... bring on Lester in 8th.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

I must be the only left on this board. Earlier this year, I complained that Tek won't call for a curve ball, and boy was I wrong. He has called for a million of them tonight because it's obvious the Angels can't hit Lester's. Well done, Tek.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

Groan. Long foul by Youk that barely missed the foul pole. Barely.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from HeathcliffSlocumb. Show HeathcliffSlocumb's posts

Lester against Texiera...then Okajima...if he lets anyone on....bring on Pap

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JacqueStrappe. Show JacqueStrappe's posts

[Quote]To think....we almost sent Lester to Texas for A-Rod....who will have one less rbi this post season than he's had in the last three....hee, hee[/Quote]

LMAO

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from HeathcliffSlocumb. Show HeathcliffSlocumb's posts

I love Lowell...but it doesn't seem like he should be on the field tonight

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from HeathcliffSlocumb. Show HeathcliffSlocumb's posts

Seriously...take Lowell out...the guy can't move

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Runnels. Show Runnels's posts

OV,
    Craig Sager was born in 1953....so that would make him 55. The guy is just a mere child !
    On the other hand, Dick Stockton is 68, but his hair is still purrfect. No gray.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scanner28. Show Scanner28's posts

ELLSBURY!! ENOUGH SAID.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

soilsoxfan, I don't think you understand something. Everyone appreciates like crazy what Ortiz has meant to this team. When he was good, he really was better than Manny. But, as Liza Minnelli is reported to have said, "you ain't great if you ain't great." And that means you ain't great anymore when the opposing manager instructs his catcher to throw nothing worth hitting to Pedroia so he can get to Ortiz--and the Ortiz strikes out. In the biggest game so far this year.
    Yes, Ortiz could still be great, but it sure looks as though the bloom is off the rose. I mean, isn't this the postseason? And isn't this first game of a five game series, on the road yet, pretty dadgum crucial?
    Meanwhile, a rookie who has been much maligned on this board, is outplaying and outhitting Ortiz in the same exact game. Jake just made a great grab in short center.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveM1967a. Show DaveM1967a's posts

Why isn't Pap in?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ND. Show ND's posts

Is Francona nuts? I am sure he has stats on pitchers, relievers and closers; and he gets Masterson who's been pitching badly and has give a bunch og HRs. I mean get Oki in a close game like this. He takes forever to get 3 outs. and its to the credit of fielders . His pitching SUCKS

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

Despite my earlier complaint about Francona not calling for a bunt from Pedroia after Ellsbury's leadoff double, I do think that he has clearly outmanaged Scioscia in this game. First and foremost, Scioscia called for the high hard one that Bay hit out after Lackey's curve ball had been so effective against Bay. Second Scioscia tells his guys that they must get from first to third on a single, so that's what Guerrero tried to do and was out by a mile. Third, I think Scioscia tries to overcontrol the game so that his players don't have much iniative or gumption. By doing less, it sure seems as though Francona is actually doing more to help his team.

Sections
Shortcuts