1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Glory days of Boston sports

The Red Sox just steamrolled the Angels to reach their second ALCS in four years, the Patriots are 5-0 and folks are starting to talk about the possibilities of a perfect season, the Boston College Eagles are ranked fourth in the country, and the revamped Celtics are less than a month away from starting their season. Is this the best time to be a Boston sports fan or what? Do you find yourself taking calls from jealous friends from around the country? Twenty years from now, we'll look back and call this era the glory days of Boston sports ... are you making the most of it?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

These are great times to be a Boston fan! I cannot remember another time in our sports history when things were so good! I know the Celtics are going to be great this year also! I just wish the Bruins would get it together. Growing up an avid Bruins fan during the 70's and 80's, I never thought I would see the day when the Bruins became the least interesting team in our town! It is an absolute travesty how this team has been managed over the last 20 years! I wish Jacobs would sell the team to someone who is as passionate about winning as Bob Kraft!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from benandpogo. Show benandpogo's posts

Back in 85-86 it was pretty good, with 3 of 4 teams in the championship games. Only the Celtics won. It wasn't exactly in the same seasons, but it was a good time. If both the Sox and the Pats can win this year, and the Celts at least get a round or two into the playoffs, this will be the best year. 2004 was pretty good too, of course.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from doubleray. Show doubleray's posts

Being involved in sports can be a metaphor for life. You have to work so hard to acheive the success you desire.
    So even though the Pats, the Sox and even the BC Eagles (I went there during the Hasselbeck days, and I can't believe how they've actually become dominant), have a ways to go before they might be officially called champions, they sure have given us more wins and more success than most sports fans could ever dream about.

So to get back to my metaphor...If being a fan means living vicariously through your team's hard work and dedication, and then achieving that success with them, then being a Boston sports fan has made us RICH! And that's what feels so good. Regardless of your lot in life, moments like Manny's home run on Friday bring a sense of joy that momentarily can replace anything else. To have those moments pile up over time is what has spoiled us with fanhood riches. And the more they win, the more we've earned the right to gloat, and no one can take it away.

...TITLE TOWN...

Is this 2004 all over again, or is this even better??? I didn't think there was anything better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjmcs. Show jjmcs's posts

Without counting chickens before they are hatched ---- YES. The Pats, The Sox, BC Football & the excitement about the Celtics is the best this town has seen since 1986. Even the Revolution appear on the verge of another run to the championship game. (That being said, there are some tough games ahead for all the key teams)

Boston is at a point it hasn't been in over two decades and it's amazing!!!! The only negative is the Bruins - I honestly could not name two players on this year's team and I used to watch all the games in the late 80's.

Fathers, make sure you take the time to let your kids know what they are seeing, because the next time this comes around, they may be parents themselves.

GO SOX!!!

GO PATS!!!

GO EAGLES!!!

GO CELTS!!!

GO REVS!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from echuether. Show echuether's posts

If the Celtics can make the playoffs and the Bruins can at least show some life then we can all be happy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjmcs. Show jjmcs's posts

DoubleRay -

2004 was great (two championships), but the standard for Boston sports excellence has to be 1986.

All 4 teams in the playoffs, 3 in the finals, 1 championship / 1 bowl win

Sox - lost in WS -- Clemens MVP & CY Young winner

Pats - lost in SB

Celts - won NBA title -- Bird NBA regular season & finals MVP

BC - won Hall of Fame Bowl

Bruins - lost to the Candians in the playoffs - but hey, that happened every year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bcboy1. Show bcboy1's posts

Let's hope the eagles finally make it over the hump to a major BCS bowl and put that program on the map. Hopefully with Neely and Milbury on board, the B's will put together a rebuilding of a once proud francise. I'm wearing a different hat to work every day and loving the hub of the universe...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zitface. Show zitface's posts

"Fathers, make sure you take the time to let your kids know what they are seeing, because the next time this comes around, they may be parents themselves."

I have an 8-year-old who has been as big a fan as any of us since the Sox won in '04. I keep telling him "It won't always be this way." But he'll just have to learn that himself. In the meantime, enjoy!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from heynow99. Show heynow99's posts

We also have an extremely high murder rate to be proud of too !

Sections
Shortcuts