1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andre10056. Show andre10056's posts

Good ESPN article comparing the Sox and Yankees

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2009/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3967746

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

Just one of the many things I have read from many experts supporting the idea that a) The Sox have a strategy for short and long term succcess and b) They work that strategy relentlessly. It is a great time to be a Sox fan because Theo and company work the plan...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from caubrey. Show caubrey's posts

Question... why when espn reports something against the sox it's garbage but when they say something for the sox it's the gospel. It's one writers opinion nothing more and nothing less. They also stated who would win the division and it wasn't the sox.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andre10056. Show andre10056's posts

Caubrey wrote,

Question... why when espn reports something against the sox it's garbage but when they say something for the sox it's the gospel. It's one writers opinion nothing more and nothing less. They also stated who would win the division and it wasn't the sox.

Personally, I would consider articles that are critical of the Sox fascinating...and worthy of a good bit of conversation and analysis. If you find such articles, please bring them to our attention.

As to this article, I liked it because I thought the author's rundown of different players to be pretty accurate as to how they've done this year. Buchholz has been superb. Ortiz has yet to impress. Etc.

As to the new arrivals, it looks like Saito is already contributing far beyond our expectations, Penny is on track after a solid bullpen session today watched by pitching coach John Farrell and Lester, Beckett, and Wakefield (the latter pitchers all giving Penny either high fives or head rubs), Baldelli is playing and contributing, and Smoltz is doing what he needs to do to get back by June. All good stuff.

All in all, I think most Red Sox fans are pleased by the way the front office is executing its total team building strategy. That overall strategy involves far more than simply getting out the checkbook and signing the most expensive free agent players on the market during any given year.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

The kids / Yankee skirts are amusing and immensely entertaining. Meanwhile baseball experts and loyal Sox fans who have been waiting decades (yes, decades) see things as they are -- a resurgent glamour franchise led by a young, dynamic GM that has made this franchise the envy of major league sports. If the skirts could face facts, instead of living a fantasy they would admit as much.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andre10056. Show andre10056's posts

[Quote]
    and as yankee fans-we also are "pleased". cc looked great in his debut, aj hit 98 on the gun saturday,tex is hitting `500 and playing the usual gold glove defense, swisher has brought much needed chemistry to the clubhouse,coke and melancon have yet to yield a run, and hughes is looking the way we all thought he would. so,now that were all happy...lets get it on!
    [/Quote]
    One would reasonably expect Teixeira, Sabathia, and Burnett to do well after being signed to contracts valued at hundreds of millions of dollars. But that's not the point of the article. Is paying that much more going to result in getting that much more of added value relative to the much less costly Red Sox pick-ups? Time will tell.

Of course, another thing to consider is that CC and AJ have both pitched a grand total of two innings apiece thus far....so "sample size" is definitely a factor to consider before getting too "happy".

Otherwise, I certainly hope that Swisher is bringing "much needed chemistry to the clubhouse" because his hitting thus far is almost unbelievably worse than his pathetic 2008. His spring training BA is .133 thus far.

Coke has indeed yielded a run and his ERA is 3.00 in 3 innings pitched. And while Melancon and Hughes have done well in very limited innings (4 and 5 respectively), we'll see if that continues.

Not saying the Yankees don't have merit. We'd expect them to have some merit with, yet again, a greater than $200 million payroll. But are they spending their money as effectively as they perhaps could?

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carolina-soxfan. Show carolina-soxfan's posts

Yankees suck! No, Red Sox suck! Boring.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roast1999. Show Roast1999's posts

[Quote]"only time will tell" andre...and since were being technical-didnt cc go 2 innings friday? as far as spending money wisely-do ya think rays fans think the red sox spend wisely-considering they beat the red sox in the reg season and playoffs w/ 1/3 the "payroll"[/Quote]

You do realize that it's not that surprising, right? The Rays were so bad for so long, look at the draft picks they piled up early in the draft. Meanwhile, the Sox have done just as much potentially more with worse picks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roast1999. Show Roast1999's posts

[Quote]is that why most of baseballs "experts" are picking the yankees? so much for listening to the "experts". and speaking of "skirts"-how is it underneath theos skirt?[/Quote]

If you're going to go that route, have you watched those ESPN experts lately? With A-Rod injured, many are saying the Yanks could be in serious danger of finding themselves in third again this year. I am not saying whether or not I agree with them, just throwing it out there.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roast1999. Show Roast1999's posts

[Quote]we shall soon see (as the yankees have found out-pitching wins-and this year,we have it)[/Quote]

We definitely shall see. I am not convinced that the Yankees have enough of it in both the rotation and the bullpen, but that's just my opinion.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZRob101. Show ZRob101's posts

[Quote]Just one of the many things I have read from many experts supporting the idea that a) The Sox have a strategy for short and long term succcess and b) They work that strategy relentlessly. It is a great time to be a Sox fan because Theo and company work the plan...[/Quote]

only true if over the life of the sabathia, tex and burnett contracts the sox win more world series than the yankees

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

I agree. Performance and results and outcomes over the long haul actually matter. That is the yardstick. Right now Theo has 2 rings and 4 trips to the ALCS in 6 years. I am comfortable with that. More important, he has put the Sox in a position to compete short, medium and long term. You have just summarized the Yankees Strategy -- Throw enormous sums of money at long term deals with big name stars. There is nothing wrong with that strategy. It is what it is. In fact, I can't wait to see AROD earn 30 million per year from 2011 to 20117 while he functions as an ailing DH. What a bargain.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[Quote]we shall soon see (as the yankees have found out-pitching wins-and this year,we have it)[/Quote]

LOL uh oh here we go again !! This year is much different then the year they picked up Randy Johnson, Jaret Wright, and Carl Pavano to go along with the Big Pick up of Kevin Brown the year before !! LOL And who the H3ll told the Yankmes the big secret about how Pitching wins Championships ??

GO SOX 2009 !!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

In fact, I can't wait to see AROD earn 30 million per year from 2011 to 20117 while he functions as an ailing DH. What a bargain.

Forget A-Rod... What are they going to do with Jeter ?? How many players could you have on a team that have to play first Or DH ??

GO SOX 2009 !!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiley-beni-2817. Show smiley-beni-2817's posts

2009 11:00:02 PM
    I agree. Performance and results and outcomes over the long haul actually matter. That is the yardstick. Right now Theo has 2 rings and 4 trips to the ALCS in 6 years. I am comfortable with that. More important, he has put the Sox in a position to compete short, medium and long term. You have just summarized the Yankees Strategy -- Throw enormous sums of money at long term deals with big name stars. There is nothing wrong with that strategy. It is what it is. In fact, I can't wait to see AROD earn 30 million per year from 2011 to 20117 while he functions as an ailing DH. What a bargain.
    ..............................................................................

Hey Dabro, just as usual-you´re absolutely right....

In fact, I can't wait to see AROD earn 30 million per year from 2011 to 20117 while he functions as an ailing DH. What a bargain.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

[Quote]In fact, I can't wait to see AROD earn 30 million per year from 2011 to 20117 while he functions as an ailing DH. What a bargain.

Forget A-Rod... What are they going to do with Jeter ?? How many players could you have on a team that have to play first Or DH ??

GO SOX 2009 !![/Quote]

With Texiera, Arod, CC, and Burnett the Yanks have about 85 million on the books for the next 5 years. I don't know when Jeter signed but he gets them over 100 for as long as he is on the books. In 2013 that is a lot of past their prime salary.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrDee. Show MrDee's posts

"More important, he has put the Sox in a position to compete short, medium and long term"

In the Yanks case going to the playoffs 13 out of 14 years and going to the ALCS 6 times would classify them as the same. If not concerned they why do you guys write about them so much. Here again a 3rd place finish last year and it "what are the Yanks doing".

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from COSTANZA. Show COSTANZA's posts

[Quote]

and as yankee fans-we also are "pleased". cc looked great in his debut, aj hit 98 on the gun saturday,tex is hitting `500 and playing the usual gold glove defense, swisher has brought much needed chemistry to the clubhouse,coke and melancon have yet to yield a run, and hughes is looking the way we all thought he would. so,now that were all happy...lets get it on!

[/Quote]

Great! But a piece of advice, maybe this post would be much appreciated in a yankee forum.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[Quote]Question... why when espn reports something against the sox it's garbage but when they say something for the sox it's the gospel. It's one writers opinion nothing more and nothing less. They also stated who would win the division and it wasn't the sox.[/Quote]

Just because the writer doesn't think they will win the division, doesn't mean the moves were not the right ones. The Wild Card is till available. The bigger point is that, win or lose, the team has flexibility to address any needs again in the offseason. In this economy, more quality players might be available at lower pricing. Nothing is gospel or not. When you posted, one person posted the article, and one person thought it was a long term plan the Sox were enacting. You are pounding your fist on the desk for no reason.