1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Great trade for the Pats!

I see alot of people complaining about the trade for Cassel to K.C. But I really like this trade, #34 pick is pretty much a low 1st and their should be plenty of talent on the board come draft day.
    Cassel had a great year, but we must not forget how much everyone was scratching their heads after he didn't get cut after preaseason. I also think Cassel benefitted from Welker,Moss and the "system" in place for the Pats, but he struggled with the deep ball and I would not be surprised if Cassel turns out to be a "one year wonder".
    So fellow Patsfans, let's be happy with this trade, it was a steal.
    Oh and by the way, our we done yet with all the "trade Brady" crap?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEpatriots4ever. Show NEpatriots4ever's posts

the pats can take #23 and 34 and trade up if they want to

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Heck #23 and a third changes the whole complexion of the draft for them. That is at least worth five spots of movement.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Well said Grogan!

Cassel was a 7th round pick and almost released last season. The system he played in was very helpful to him, it will be interesting to see how it works for him next year.

The money said between him and Vrabel will allow the Pats some flexibility.

Also, I do not think they are done!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Good point Z, we are very mobile in the first round. Vontae Davis, Cushing, possibly Maualuga, all within reach by trade.

When do we find out about comp picks, like for Samuel?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

The Lions might pick a QB with their 2nd pick in the first round now... Which will might change things in the draft.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Arodrambone- Last year the comp picks were released on March 31st......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Somebody special is going to drop to 34.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Thanks Rocky

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

I laugh at the people that think the Pat's got screwed by this trade.

1. Bottom line: BB and Co. parlayed a 7th rd QB who had zero college starts, and 1 pro-season, into a HIGH 2nd rd pick. Mike Vrabel's performance slipped last year, probably due to age and injury, and the Pat's now have several young OLBs and potential FAs available. Vrabel's cap # and salary was not low. From a Machiavellian BB perspective, Vrabel is also an NFLPA leader heading into a possible period of labor turmoil.

2. BB helps a friend and protege get started without crippling the new team's draft, puts former players in a good situation, and sets the table for future business, while giving the Pat's much needed cap relief heading into a season or 2 of possible labor turmoil and troubling economic times.

3. Negotiations with key players like Wilfork and Mankins can now be brought forward.

4. The Pats now have more 1st day draft picks than any other NFL team, and these picks are in the prime dollars to talent areas, giving them yet more trade flexibility.

Overall, it seems like a good deal for both franchises. If the Pat's were seriously concerned about Brady's progress, or the development of the younger QB's, the deal wouldn't have happened so quickly into the FA period.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from droopie. Show droopie's posts

Grogan,

Couldn't agree more! Cassell is a journeyman without Moss, Welker, and Faulk; he is good but not great.
    On the other hand a return of TB has our offense right back to 2007.

Use the CAP SPACE to upgrade the defense and "hold on to your hats" Can't wait for the DRAFT

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from laterdays20. Show laterdays20's posts

its not the trade of cassel for the 34th pick that is the problem, its the fact that they gave them vrable and cassel for one lousy pick, pioli is the genious apparently, which sucks

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Guys...you can try to put a happy face on this deal if you like. But, the truth is, that the Patriots got short-changed. Their leverage in trade negotiations was next to nil because of the high amount of guaranteed money that it would take to sign Matt, and because other teams knew that the Pats were up against it with their cap.

Theres' been speculation that the Pats may have bypassed a better offer in making this trade. Perhaps the Lions offered their 33rd overall pick...or Tampa Bay offered their 19th overall pick and second rounder for Cassel and the Pats 23rd overall pick?

What we know is that BB and Scott Pioli are close friends, and that BB really likes Matt Cassel, both as a person, and for his efforts over the years with the Patriots. Did BB take less compensation to help out his buddy, and to ensure that Matt landed in a good situation? Could be. But, knowing BB's competitive nature...the discrepancy in compensation couldn't have been that great.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Rose colored glasses is thinking that Vrabel at 34 was going to be better than he was at 33.

33 year old guys don't get better. This is real life.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

As much as I like Vrable, economics say it is the right move. Hate seeing him go, but he would of cost too much after next season considering his age and increased lack of mobility over the past 3 years.

As far as Cassel goes.....he did alright last year but the bottom line is that he did't lead them to the playoffs and you've got the best QB in football coming back. A 2nd round pick for a 7th round pick and 1 year of experience is a good deal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

This is exactly what I expected. We traded a 7th round garbage pick and got a 2nd round draft pick for it. Brilliant! Plus we dumped Vrabel’s salary. Sweet.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

[Quote]You dumb idiots keep thinking what you are saying. You will think different when the Pats miss the playoffs next season. This trade was terrible for the Pats and great for the Chiefs. You morons been saying you would get multiple picks for Cassell and now you got one and its okay. What a bunch of frickin hypocrites. Hope you get what you deserve next season. Brady with a season ending injury and the Pats looking from the outside in to the playoffs again.[/Quote]

SuperBowl ring for SuperBowl XXXIX

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportstalk. Show sportstalk's posts

as a Pats fan, I can see giving BB the benefit of the doubt & taking a wait & see attitude to see how things play out. That is a reasonable attitude to have & based on everything he has done here, he has earned that. But to argue straight out that this deal favors the Pats as is a joke. Please, don't say it becasue it's making y'all look stupid!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

[Quote]the pats can take #23 and 34 and trade up if they want to[/Quote]

Yes they could but they won't. They'll either use em or trade em down and at each step get the guys they want. It's lookin good.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Actually, what makes you look stupid is saying "y'all."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Surfin,

Haha, yeah, except the problem is that everyone in the NFL is on roids from the time they enter college, LOL. So more roids at 33 will probably turn you into a woman. LOL.

I thought they might cut Vrabel outright anyway. So it makes no difference to me.

I look at it as Cassel for #34. I don't think it is a bad deal for either side given that NE had to move him.

If Cassel were under a rookie contract, maybe they could have gotten more. But as it stands they did pretty well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportstalk. Show sportstalk's posts

[Quote]Actually, what makes you look stupid is saying "y'all."[/Quote]

maybe, but not as stupid as arguing this is a great trade for the Pats :D

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

This is a bad trade because it included Mike Vrabel for not enough in return? Wake up!

What did the Pats get for Willie McGinnest?
    What did the Bucks get for Derrick Brooks?
    What did the Bucks get for Cato June?
    What did the Jets get for Laveranues Coles?
    What did the Pats get for Lawyer Milloy?

Fact is in the NFL that players in their mid30s comming off of sup-par seasons don't get traded, THEY GET RELEASED.

Like all the moves above, this was a salary cap move on Vrabel. Pats want to get younger and faster on D. Most likely will take a OLB early in the draft as it's the deepest position in this year's draft.

Why pay Vrabel $3.5m if they are bringing in his replacement? They can use that money for other players. So trading him to the Chiefs gets Mike to a team that wants him and Vrabel gets to keep his contract (not getting cut). I doubt any team in the league would have given up draft picks for him at this stage. Much easier just to pick up one of the other veteran LBs recently cut by their former employers.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

How can this NOT be a fair deal? Both BB and Pioli KNOW what they had! They KNOW Vrabel and Cassel.

Are people disappointed because Steve Mariucci and some other ESPN hack says what Cassel's worth? Please!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DayWooo763. Show DayWooo763's posts

People, we got screwed with this deal. I couldn't disagree more with the saying, "We turned a 7th round QB into a 2nd round pick". That is crap! When the Falcons traded Matt Schaub to the Texans, they recieved two 2nd round picks and moved up two spots in the first round. The flip flop of the 1st round picks, according to trade charts, was worth 100 pts. The two 2nd rounders, 510 and 420 pts respectively. That's 1030 pts which equivalent to the 15th or 16th pick. So basically, Schaub was "worth" 1030 pts. According to the trade chart, Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel together were "worth" just 560 pts. That is insanity! Even if you said that Scaub was better than Cassel, which he most certainly is not, the trade simply doesn't measure up. The fact that we didn't recieve a pick next year, or a player like Larry Johnson or Tony Gonzalez is outrageous. So to the people who are somehow satisfied with this trade, think again. Kansas City acquired Cassel and Vrabel for almost half the price that Houston paid for Schaub. Think about those facts and now try to justify the trade. Maybe this is the football Gods' way of getting us back for robbing the Seahawks of their 1st round pick in 2006 in an incredibly lopsided trade for Deion Branch. I love the Patriots as much as anyone, but BB really made a mistake this time. Let's hope he knows what he's doing and finds a stud at the 23rd spot AND the 34th spot!!

Sections
Shortcuts