1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeyRedSox. Show MikeyRedSox's posts

GREEN MONSTAH shirts: worse than pink hats?

As far as I'm concerned, they have overtaken pink hats as the most annoying garment for the bandwagon Red Sox fan

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from koolkat51. Show koolkat51's posts

Why does other people's choice of clothing annoy you so much?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bert0529. Show Bert0529's posts

[Quote]Why does other people's choice of clothing annoy you so much?[/Quote]

There are those that believe they are the guardians of proper Red Sox fashion. They've imposed a class system upon Red Sox fans that depends on apparel. Because they've elevated themselves to elite status the system is revered amongst them. What appear, to the rest of us, to be baseball caps and t-shirts are, to them, sacred religious garments. This is not to be taken lightly as you may be excluded from their club. It's pretty funny stuff!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MannyManic. Show MannyManic's posts

Unless you've suffered for fifty years and worn the same battered blue cap you don't belong?

If "alternate" Red Sox apparel annoys you so much, take it up with the merchandising department of the franchise.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ufcchamp. Show ufcchamp's posts

I say merchandise $$$ are all the same and if it helps pay the bills then so be it. My personal pet-pieve is the home jerseys with the names on the back, especially the little, tiny lettering. I honestly don't think these "fans" realize the Sox don't have the names at home, you're supposed to know your home teams names by the # alone...maybe it helps remind them who their favorite player is.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bert0529. Show Bert0529's posts

[Quote]

There are those that believe they are the guardians of proper Red Sox fashion. They've imposed a class system upon Red Sox fans that depends on apparel. Because they've elevated themselves to elite status the system is revered amongst them. What appear, to the rest of us, to be baseball caps and t-shirts are, to them, sacred religious garments. This is not to be taken lightly as you may be excluded from their club. It's pretty funny stuff![/Quote]

By the way, I'm not directly accusing MikeyRedSox of being one of these guys. His comments just raise the topic.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from eric6675. Show eric6675's posts

Seriously in my opinion the people who are the bandwagon fans are the ones who always raise these stupid topics. Its like the guy who always talks about the girls he gets, but at the end of the night he is going home from the bar to his stack of Playboys. By people feeling like they have to wear the "proper" team attire, they are feeling like they are this great fan who has been behind the team since the days when you could walk up to Fenway the day of a game and get a face value ticket at the box office.

Baseball is no longet a game, it is a business. America is a very diverse population and everyone likes different things. MLB authenticates the pink hats, the camoflague hats etc.. so what the heck is your problem? It is not like they went to Wal-Mart bought some t-shirt or hat and took a crayola crayon and colored in this B to depicit the Sox logo. MLB is going to keep creating diverse products as long as there is an audience. If it bothers you so much, perhaps you should get a job in the MLB merchandising department.

There are people that wear Pink Hats and Green Monstah shirts who probably no more about baseball and the Sox than some of the players do.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeyRedSox. Show MikeyRedSox's posts

you guys are misinterpreting me

I don't really care about wearing "proper" team attire

I just think these shirts (and "Boston accent" jokes in general) are annoying, and overdone...you can't turn your head in any direction at Fenway without seeing somebody wearing one now

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ufcchamp. Show ufcchamp's posts

I agree that it's annoying...and it is easy to stereo-type them because 75% of them are young, ignore the game except when it gets "exciting" and look like the type that bought stuff because it was cute. Stereo-types exist for a reason....because there is some truth.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bert0529. Show Bert0529's posts

[Quote]you guys are misinterpreting me

I don't really care about wearing "proper" team attire

I just think these shirts (and "Boston accent" jokes in general) are annoying, and overdone...you can't turn your head in any direction at Fenway without seeing somebody wearing one now[/Quote]

Fair enough. I can see how the Boston accent gag can get old. What's the problem with pink hats?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bert0529. Show Bert0529's posts

[Quote]I agree that it's annoying...and it is easy to stereo-type them because 75% of them are young, ignore the game except when it gets "exciting" and look like the type that bought stuff because it was cute. Stereo-types exist for a reason....because there is some truth.[/Quote]

So what if all that is true? What makes that kind of fan any less valuable than you or me? They paid their money for the hat/shirt and the ticket. Why seek to exclude or devalue them? If they're young and/or inexperienced fans why not give them time to figure it out, or maybe even help them? If they're not interested they'll go away (probably when the team falters so be careful what you wish for.) The incredible atmosphere at Fenway is made possible by full crowds in full voice- something that wasn't there before the team "got good" again with new ownership.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from twistal. Show twistal's posts

At least there aren't shirts that say,"Look at me, I'm drunk like teddy." on the front. Then say "Yuck the Fankees", on the back.

although that would be pretty funny.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSGalinFL. Show RSGalinFL's posts

What difference does it make what someone wears? Because someone wears a pink hat (which I have by the way and I have followed the Red Sox since I was 10 years old in 1967), doesn't mean they are any less a fan. I have owned many a Red Sox hat, t-shirt, etc. over the years. All have been worn with pride and worn til most of them became dust rags. While I agree that the shirts making fun of the Boston accent can be somewhat annoying, it also says that we can laugh at ourselves and not take things too seriously. Fenway continues to pack them in every home game and that is something we should be proud of. Not all "fans" are die-hard, serious, can't stand to lose fans. Some are casual fans. That's part of the game. Some people actually go to the park just for the good time. There is nothing wrong with that. They paid for their ticket just like the other 34,000 in the stands.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bert0529. Show Bert0529's posts

Dear RSGalinFL,

I regret to inform you that your membership in True Red Sox Fans Club has been revoked. It has come to out attention that you have spoken without disgust in your tone about pink hats and, in fact, actually own one of the disgraceful items. You are clearly an inferior person and should no longer pull for Papi to hit a dinger. If you wish to seek reinstatement in the Club you can do so by surgically tinting your skin blue and hot branding a B in you forehead.

Sincerely,

Entitled Crybaby

President
    True Red Sox Fans Club

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

I agree people should be able to wear what they want without being mocked (except for "Jeter swallows"-type shirts that children shouldn't be subjected to), but I was pleased when my daughter refused to wear a pink hat she was given and asked for a fitted blue one instead....now where had she heard the term "fitted cap" before....?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SupahFan. Show SupahFan's posts

There's an important piece of Boston tee shirt history missing from this dialogue. Green Red Sox uniforms first arrived on the scene in Ft. Myers March 17, 2003 as an homage to the Boston Irish fan that's been there for decades. And um, well, expand their merchandising. I don't think anyone anticipated the growth in sales of green Red Sox merchandise, but there's the original- a nod to Boston's Irish. In 2005 my company SupahFans came out with our MassPride line of shirts and hoodies featuring the MassHighway sign and a slogan or design on the back unique to each community. Each town also got its own color scheme: Salem=Black, Cambridge=Red, Fenway=Green for the grass, the Monster, the Irish & the money you spent going to games. After a few months success with Entering Fenway - Love That Dirty Water shirts our competition jumped on the green t-shirt bandwagon, and now you get Green Monstah shirts and other green goodies for that Sox fan. Yeah, it's become the 4rd color of the team, huh? After red, white & blue. As for the pink phenomenon- I don't care for it either, but understand (like the prideful Irish) some women's desire to express their fanhood & their feminity. And obviously, no matter what color shirt people champions get bandwagoners. Whatchya gonna do about that? Just keep supporting your team I hope. So for what it's worth, now you've got a little history behind the Green Red Sox shirts.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from billy13. Show billy13's posts

I took my 21 yr old daughter to a game this July and she loved the monstah shirts and wore it when the sox played in the playoffs this fall. She is a lifelong sox fan by birth, but is just now understanding the true meaning of being a sox fan. Pink hats and these shirts get the ladies into it. From my experience, the females in Fenway know as much as the guys about the game.

By the way, her other option was the guy who sold the shirts saying: AROD SUCKS on the front and JETER SWALLOWS on the back.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

For those of us Sox fans who live in the land of the Evil Empire, NY, wearing our Sox tee-shirts, or my favorite, "I would rather be in Fenway", it certainly gets under the skin of those Yankee fans. The simple saying, "I would rather be in Fenway" seems to get them more riled up than the actual Sox logo. I usually get, "Yo, waz up with u, Yankee Stadium is the house Ruth built", "Fenway, AHHHHHHHH".

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from manfredoko. Show manfredoko's posts

[Quote]I say merchandise $$$ are all the same and if it helps pay the bills then so be it. My personal pet-pieve is the home jerseys with the names on the back, especially the little, tiny lettering. I honestly don't think these "fans" realize the Sox don't have the names at home, you're supposed to know your home teams names by the # alone...maybe it helps remind them who their favorite player is.[/Quote]

AGREED! I HATE THOSE JERSEYS MORE THAN ANYTHING!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tooky-Fisher. Show Tooky-Fisher's posts

Wear what you want.
    Wear those pink RS hats - expect the majority of fans everywhere to hate them.
    Wear that crap - expect negative reaction.
    Wear what you want.