1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kfmcd. Show kfmcd's posts

How classless is a-rod!

This was just business as usual for Scott Boras.

Don't think this was AROD for one minute.......it was totally Scott Boras that leaked that AROD was opting out and at a time when he could get the most money/publicity for this client. He didn't want the Red Sox getting emotional and resigning Lowell too quickly. Lowell was ready to move and stating that publically and a resigning could have happened quick before the free agent period. He wants Lowell to think about the Yanks and a deal like Damon got. A bidding war for Lowell also drives up AROD's price tag.

Scott Boras (like it or hate it) does the things to increase the publicity of his clients. He does the same for Varitek and DiceK. Teams like the Sox have to make a lot of decisions right after the World Series. He wanted them to have the right information. AROD's price would change if the Sox resigned Lowell to a quick contract in the 10 to 13 million range.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeus142. Show zeus142's posts

How classless is a-rod!

Fred, thanks for the kind words.

Should be interesting. Girardi was offered a contract. A-Rod is gone. (I don't care one bit) They're talking about Beltre, Rolen, and perhaps Lowell (sorry) as possible replacements. Looks like they will take the option of Abreu. The post is talking about a bigger role for Shelley Duncan. And I like the idea of younger pitchers. Look how young you will be next year in your starters. As much as I don't like him, I think you should keep Shilling. He's a warrior when it counts. Maybe it's time to let go of Wake.

I'll stop by the board now and then to throw in my two cents. Right now I'm really into football. NY Giants. Six in a row. I'm hoping the Pats lose one because we play them the last weekend of the year. If the Pats are 15-0. they're going to really try to become undefeated. If they have a loss, then they'll probably rest Brady and many starters. We may need that game. The Pats look undefeatable.

I'll say it again. The Sox looked awesome. Cleveland and Colorado are very good teams. Perhaps some posters here may adjust their position on Francona. Looks to me like he's getting the job done.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from globularities. Show globularities's posts

How classless is a-rod!

Agree that Boras and A-Rod are equally guilty (this IS a marketing plan and the Series WAS part of the plan).

Also agree that FOX is culpable as well. They didn't have to take the bait and announce it during the game, did they? Ironically, A-Bor (a combo of two monstrosities, unless you prefer Bor-Rod) knew they could COUNT on the media taking the bait. There's that little sophistication with our friends on Fox TV (Exhibit A: the Taco Travesty).

More importantly than any of this, however, is the answer to this question: Are the Sox brass as ticked off as the fans are by an ego like this stealing the team's thunder? After all, if it's TEAM and if it's CHEMISTRY we endorse, then this should convince Henry, Theo, James, et. al. stat geeks, to get off their OBP horse and say, "You know what, we don't need this white elephant -- cause the trunk itself won't fit in our revered little bandbox!"

Please say yes. Please say this move was the last straw and that Henry & Co. have sworn off for good spending any of our money on Bor-Rod. Let this Typhoid Mary infect some other team. All the hits in the world won't overcome bad chemistry in the clubhouse, and the one thing we don't need in 2008 is a Red Sox Nation divided (see Abe Lincoln for details on houses divided)...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeus142. Show zeus142's posts

How classless is a-rod!

Congratulations, Papi. Tremendous victory by your team. Clearly the champions. As I'm sure you can understand, I'm not too happy about it. LOL As a baseball fan for 45 years, I've learned to take the good with the bad. Actually, rooting against the Sox is almost as much fun as rooting for the Yankees. I really don't have any feeling at all for any other teams.

I know the euphoria of winning. Enjoy it. You deserve it. You"re a tremendous fan of your team, through thick and thin.

Does this championship change at all your opinion of Francona?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeus142. Show zeus142's posts

How classless is a-rod!

Diva, the year after A-Rod leaves, the teams have had a much improved season. (Seattle and Texas) This will work in our favor. A-Rod left a negative legacy in NY. The way he left, and the timing, says it all. He certainly won't wear a Yankee cap into Cooperstown.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kfmcd. Show kfmcd's posts

How classless is a-rod!

I don't see it any different than Boras opting out of the JD Drew contract in LA and getting max value for Drew. He wanted teams like the Sox to know that before they made decisions like whether or not to let Trot Nixon become a free agent last year.

Boras knows that teams had to make decisions right after world series on potential free agents.....Schilling and Lowell said they wanted to be Sox and wanted to sign right away with Schilling even putting his offer out all year: 1 year for 13 million. Schilling and Lowell could both be off the table in the next few days with one meeting with the Sox. If the Sox spend that money, it affects their ability to sign AROD. Other teams might make similar decisions. Boras wanted everyone to know AROD was availbe ASAP before those discussions or internal planning meetings happen and have as much time to think about it as possible. Having it air on National television only increased the publicity for his client. From a business stand point, Boras did his job: get the max value for his client. We could debate the ethics of the move but at the end of the day, it is about winning and Boras definitely plays his game to win (and like him or hate him, he is good at his game) just like Beckett plays his game to win.

As much as AROD has lacked class at times in the past, this was all Scott Boras that leaked it ... I did not hear of any stories that AROD said anything. Boras would do the identical thing for Drew, Varitek or Dice K. Will they be classless when he does it for them?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bob11389. Show Bob11389's posts

How classless is a-rod!

A-Rod and Boras are classless. But what's worse is that the media played into their hands.

First FOX broke into the game with that nonsense - were they afraid they'd get scooped? What baseball lovers weren't watching the game? The could have easily waited until after the game to report it.

And today...instead of celebrating the Sox fantastic victory the media's talking about those two greedy tools.

I guess we'll just have to win again next year, then.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

How classless is a-rod!

Not a fan of AROD's personality, but it seems to me that Borass is the one at fault here. ARod is not the one who chose the timing of the announcement; that would be Borass. Lets put the blame where it should be placed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kfmcd. Show kfmcd's posts

How classless is a-rod!

I think Boras and Arod felt it was best for him to be on the market before even hearing the Yanks offer....I think the only rational for doing this is that AROD does not want to play for the Yanks anymore. I think the Yanks would have offered a very attractive deal and Arod did not even listen yet from what I gather....probably closing the door on a return to New York because the Yanks lose the subsiding on AROD's contract from Texas.

Boras had to let teams like the Sox know before they talked to Lowell and Schilling (which could happen very quick based on public comments from both players).

Certainly can't hate a guy because he doesn't want to play for the Yanks anymore! I think the Yanks would have offered AROD as much as anyone (especially since Texas was footing part of the bill)....so this is about a lot more than money.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yankee-diva. Show yankee-diva's posts

How classless is a-rod!

Diva, the year after A-Rod leaves, the teams have had a much improved season. (Seattle and Texas) This will work in our favor. A-Rod left a negative legacy in NY. The way he left, and the timing, says it all. He certainly won't wear a Yankee cap into Cooperstown.

I am not going to miss him after this exit Zeus. Until then I was one of his biggest supporters. He burned his bridges with me. And I wouldn't want him in a yankees hat in Cooperstown now. It would disgrace the ones in there now who deserved it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from madriver. Show madriver's posts

How classless is a-rod!

I don't believe that A-Rod was unaware of Boras' intention to announce his decision during the 4th game of the world series. His enormous ego loved the idea of taking some of the focus off the game. Boras will justify this as doing his best for his client, but he has many other clients (some who were in the middle of a game) who probably didn't appreciate the timing.

Red Sox - please resign Mike Lowell and take a pass on A-Rod - he won't fit in here (and don't forget his embarassing dates with the blonde-not-his-wife)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kfmcd. Show kfmcd's posts

How classless is a-rod!

I kind of get the feeling that when you are on Boras's team, he does what he does (read an SI article on him and he has a big team behind him to maximize your value) and you play baseball. I don't think Arod would have had a lot of say in the leak. I think this leak was very well thought out and certainly not an impulsive thing.

AROD is a bit of a spoiled brat at times.....but I actually think he will grow up soon (unlike Manny who is just Manny and is just plain weird at most times). If Boston/Francona can handle Manny, I think they can handle AROD.

AROD did not have a bad rap when he was in Seattle and took a lot of heat to carry the team in Texas. Can't blaming for hating the Yanks and Steinbrenner! I have done it for years! lol. We want guys who don't fit in NY.

And I think that putting AROD in Boston will help him (with guidance from Papi, Schilling, Varitek, etc.) and really think that bringing AROD to Boston could create a dynasty like the Yanks had in the late 90's. I don't want to have another 2005 and 2006 in the next two years. I think expecting Papi/Ramirez/Lowell to be the power solution for the Sox in the next few years is very very risky. Good teams need power and the Sox don't have much.... with the right support I think Papi can stay strong....however, if Lowell and Ramirez get older, Papi could get a lot of walks (like Vladimir in LA).

I have loved the Sox since I was a kid (in my 40's now) and would love to have a dynasty like the Yanks had a few times. I love 2004 and 2007 (with two different teams and two less than impressive years in between). But it would be great to have two or three World Series in a row.....take that Yanks!!!!

Putting too much faith in guys over 35 (Varitek, Manny, Lowell) is very risky (the Yanks found out that this year, the Red Sox did a better job of mixing in youth) and as much as I love the Red Sox kids, most of the kids don't have any power. The Indians and Jays will be tougher next year, the Tigers will be back, the Yanks are always tough although next year might be rough, and the Angels with Vladimir and AROD would be a scary.

I think AROD at short will make the Sox scary and a perenial World Series team for the next 4 years and think they can teach him to grow up!

And just like Francona said with Pedroia this year and Bellhorn/Damon in 2004.....you can't overreact when guys are pressing a little too hard and slumping a few games in the playoffs. They come around. Manny and Ortiz didn't hit any homers in the World Series. ARod has hit the Sox hard in the clutch before.....think the teams pitch around him in October and he tries too hard. He can hit anyone (i..e game winning homer off Papelbon this year). He can do it from a position the Sox suck offensively (sorry Lugo but your stats for the regular season are really bad...way worse than Renteria and even Alex Gonzalez).

I totally love the Sox and what they did this year. But I don't want another 2005/2006 in the two years after a World Series.....let's go for the dynasty!!!!! If Varitek, Ramirez and Lowell slip a little more with age and the young starters don't come through, the Sox could miss the playoffs next year. AROD behind PAPI would change that and AROD is a dependable superstar year in, year out.....Teixiera would also be a great fit!

:)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

How classless is a-rod!

Surely it occurred to him what Boras might do.

Maybe HFX...but I think you are giving ARod perhaps too much credit for having brains and being able to think ahead. I am sure that discussions were being held between the two all along the playoffs. Maybe A-Rid deserves 10% of the blame; Borass should know better.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsox20. Show redsox20's posts

How classless is a-rod!

I am sorry....well no i am not...If the Red Sox sign A-Rod...I will be so pissed! I think he's a selfish pre-madonna that needs to be the center of attention and that's why he didn't mesh well in NY because of Jeter. The Sox don't need that drama! And not to mention A-Rod SUCKS in October...when it matters! I don't care what he does or what records he breaks during the season...it's about the team! They have a wonderful team, and they need to get Lowell resigned!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeus142. Show zeus142's posts

How classless is a-rod!

As for A-Rod the Red Sox don't need players who worry about their stats and salary first and their team last

Agreed, Fred. But imagine a lineup with Ortiz, Ramirez, Rodriguez, and Lowell in the middle. A bit scary.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikebruno18. Show mikebruno18's posts

How classless is a-rod!

http://arodsucks.blogspot.com/

Sections
Shortcuts