1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babyrock1908. Show Babyrock1908's posts

How do you like our chances in '09?

[Quote]

Not to mention this was a Rays team that finished LAST in the AL East the year before (which was the same year the Red Sox won the World Series).
    Tampa went at the Red Sox after Manny was dealt with absolutely no fear, and an air of disrespect for the Red Sox batters. No way a Red Sox team with Manny in the lineup gets treated that way by an UPSTART team like Tampa in the ALCS.[/Quote]

Law,

As crazy as this may sound, I actually agree with you on this wholeheartedly!! :-)

There is no way with Manny in the line up this happens no way whatsoever!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[Quote]

Not to mention this was a Rays team that finished LAST in the AL East the year before (which was the same year the Red Sox won the World Series).
    Tampa went at the Red Sox after Manny was dealt with absolutely no fear, and an air of disrespect for the Red Sox batters. No way a Red Sox team with Manny in the lineup gets treated that way by an UPSTART team like Tampa in the ALCS.[/Quote]

Manny's last series in a Sox uniform against the Rays was June 30-July 2. We got swept, losing 5-4, 3-1 and 7-6. In 13 plate appearances Manny scrounged 2 walks. Important games, close games, he did jacksquat. Apparently he didn't strike much fear into the Rays that series.

Look he's a great hitter but he's not infallible. He can be owned for a stretch of games like any other hitter.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

Of the 3 I think NY's starting rotation fills out the best but if Smoltz (or Penny) really emerge I might give the edge to BOS. I think Bos has the deepest bullpen of the group. I know we say it every year but Mariano is another year older. TB is solid in the rotation maybe some questions in the bullpen.

I think TB probably has the least ??'s offensively. I see no reason to think the young guys won't continue to improve (scary). The concerns about the RS line-up are well documented but the yanks have plenty of their own. How will Texiera adjust, will Cano bounce back, how much can Jorge give them? Jeter and Damon 1 year older. Assuming relative health, I don't think Boston is giving away much to NY 1-9.

The Red Sox and Rays are both solid defensively and both have a decided edge over NY in that category.

In conclusion, I don't have an f'in clue. All three have a legitmate shot at 90+ wins. I predict TB and Boston make the play-offs

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x45. Show sday4x45's posts

Once again ...........Law said it ...........so he thinks it's fact.
    where you been ape face?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x45. Show sday4x45's posts

give it up Law
    when you want to stop instigating everyone...........then post.
    otherwise shut the h%$ up

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patfan11394. Show patfan11394's posts

uhm i like our chances, as we all should considering we made it to game 7 in the alcs with 3 of our biggest performers out or injured. there are some question marks, but there are some for every single team. I know the yanks opened up their piggy bank and are trying to buy a championship.....again, but again, its not gonna work. Im not saying adding those 3 guys the yanks added were bad moves, id take those guys any day, however, what have they proven in the playoffs/ absolutely nothing. CC;s e.r.a in the playoffs is basically astronomical and while in the AL, where he will be this year, he couldn,t take the redsox heat they were bringing in the alcs which is why his e.r.a skyrocketed, and guess who hes going to have to most likely have to go through again in the playoffs? the REDSOX! as for aj burnette, hes a joke, only plays good on contract years and has no playoff experience. now tex is the smartest move by far, he has been very productive in his postseason career, but again, his team was beaten by...guess who? the REDSOX! ok basically i see the redsox and yanks being the one and two seeds in the al east respectively, with the sox gettin the division and the yanks the wild card. i see smoltzie and penny having huge impacts on this team, as well as a new fan favorite, rocco baldelli playing well this year too in a backup role. So our starting rotation is pretty stacked, our bullpen is pretty much set with adding ramirez to help bridge the way to paps, and well our lineup is pretty decent too, i cant complain. Im not nostradamus, those are just my views, all i really know is i cant wait til the sox start up again. GO SOX 2009!!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x45. Show sday4x45's posts

Law ..........what kind of lawyer are you?

I doubt you will answer ......I think you are afraid

I think you would be suprised about something.............lol

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[Quote]

moonslav59 473389
    Comments: 748

2/4/2009 4:10:40 PM
    Chances:

30% 1st place
    40% 2nd Place
    25% 3rd Place
    5% 4/5th Place

20% AL Champ

15% WS Champ

Where did these numbers come from?[/Quote]

The thread asks "How do you like I chances in '09?"

I naturally tried to answer the question and unlike most Theo apologists, did not try to read anything into it, distort it or go off on a tangent.

I gave what I thought were are chances of winning in 2009, in a tough division, with many key players coming off injuries, and not having Manny. It is my opinion, you have a right to disagree or agree, but don't just say "where did these numbers come from?" Why not give your opinion.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

30% 1st place
    40% 2nd Place
    25% 3rd Place
    5% 4/5th Place

20% AL Champ

15% WS Champ

those #'s seem pretty accurate to me, they take into account our injury issues and strong division. If we played in the AL Central we'd have like an 85% chance @ 1st place, AL West 65% chance.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roast1999. Show Roast1999's posts

Law2009a is a moron. We get it, you don't like Law. No one does. Have a conversation with him and prove his ignorance rather than ruining the board for everyone

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[Quote]Its a code pink[/Quote]

NOT

A
    G
    A
    I
    N

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuschBound. Show BuschBound's posts

hey doosh flaw whats with the crashing? lose another debate again?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from czap. Show czap's posts

Hey Law, how does Mannys shaft taste?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from keepmanny7. Show keepmanny7's posts

[Quote]"the sox scored more runs without manny in the lineup than they scored with him in the lineup. where is there any evidence that losing him weakened their lineup beyond just saying that manny is better, which he is? "

You need to do some research on sample sizes.

If you replace a 155 OPS+ player with a 130 OPS+ player over the course of a full season, your lineup projects to be weaker.[/Quote]

what if that replacement player is not only faster, but running at full speed 100% of the time instead of 10% of the time and even managing a few SBs, playing in the field 100% and is taking more runs off the board than the guy he replaced, and is not sowing any discontent in the clubhouse the way the guy he replaced was?

you drop some average points, a few HRs and some RBIs when going from manny to bay, but you also lose a clubouse headache and gain speed and defense. i do think that even with all the positives bay brings that manny didnt the sox lose out on some runs over the course of a year, but i see it as a negligible difference when all things are considered. plus the pitching staff is better overall now, so i think they are collectively as formidable now as they were in 2007.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[Quote][Quote]"the sox scored more runs without manny in the lineup than they scored with him in the lineup. where is there any evidence that losing him weakened their lineup beyond just saying that manny is better, which he is? "

You need to do some research on sample sizes.

If you replace a 155 OPS+ player with a 130 OPS+ player over the course of a full season, your lineup projects to be weaker.[/Quote]

what if that replacement player is not only faster, but running at full speed 100% of the time instead of 10% of the time and even managing a few SBs, playing in the field 100% and is taking more runs off the board than the guy he replaced, and is not sowing any discontent in the clubhouse the way the guy he replaced was?

you drop some average points, a few HRs and some RBIs when going from manny to bay, but you also lose a clubouse headache and gain speed and defense. i do think that even with all the positives bay brings that manny didnt the sox lose out on some runs over the course of a year, but i see it as a negligible difference when all things are considered. plus the pitching staff is better overall now, so i think they are collectively as formidable now as they were in 2007.[/Quote]

Also factor in hits/walks when the game is over
    vs hits/walks when the game is on the line.
    Hits/Walks/RBIs in the playoffs.
    Few match Manny's numbers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from keepmanny7. Show keepmanny7's posts

few match manny's numbers of old. but bay is younger and has a better chance of keeping up his career norms than manny does of keeping up his. and you have to get to the playoffs before you can win in the playffs and there is something to be said for having a guy that is giving his all for the entire season versus having a guy that will do enough to get by throughout the season and then turn it on in the playoffs.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from scoobydew. Show scoobydew's posts

[Quote]The best quality our team has across the board is depth. There is a lot of talent on our 25 and 40 man rosters, much more than most teams. That will add up to wins.

The second best quality is versatility. We have a lot of players who are good at multiple positions, several pitchers who comfortably start and work out of the pen, and a number of players who bring more than one major skill set to the table -- are well rounded.

We have a lot of weaknesses too. I am disappointed that we don't have a solution to the catcher issue yet. Looking backward, our club is one of the top hitting clubs in baseball. Looking forward -- we'll see...

We are also in the toughest division in baseball. The Yanks and Rays are formidable. I think that 2 of those 3 teams will be in the ALCS, just like 2008. But maybe I am looking back, not forward. We'll see. The only team that dramatically improved was the Yanks.
    [/Quote]

Rays added much better DH with Burrell and Price will go all year in the starting rotation. Sox finish 3rd in 2009 AL EAST

Sections
Shortcuts