1. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

How long do they go with Wily Mo?

I won't let my personal feelings vent here. My question is how long do they go with a guy who is totally out of his depth. The more he K's the more his trade value drops. We all know that he cannot hit or lay off the down and away slider, so does every major league manager, by the way. But now he is taking the fastball right down the middle for strike three. C' mon Theo admit it the guy is a mistake trade him for whatever , bring up Elsbury or Moss. or Scales. Helloo the guy is a stiff get rid of him. He is terrible. I think that is ten strike outs in 20 at bats. Same as last year and the year before and the year before that. Stop trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Sayonara to WMP.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from judgy. Show judgy's posts

HEY I TOTALLY AGREE THIS GUY IS A BUM....SO HE HIT A FEW MOON SHOTS..WE NEED CLUTCH HITTING WHEN IT COUNTS...HE'S TAKEN UP A SPOT FOR A BETTER ALL AROUND PLAYER...THEO DO THE RIGHT THING AND START MAKING SOME PHONE CALLS..........GO SOX........YANKEES SUCK!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soundslikefrank. Show soundslikefrank's posts

He's toast. Big toast that can't hit A CURVE.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from woobie2. Show woobie2's posts

Well said. He brings nothing to the table and actually looks worse from game to game. I can't see a major league team desperate enough to trade a bag of balls for him. He's Theo mistake (one of) and one we are now stuck with. THey say Crisp will be back tomorrow so Wille Moe Howard will continue to ride the bench,taking the spot away from someone who could really come off it and help us in the late innings. I'm hearing Jacoby Ellsbury is impressing everyone big time. Wouldn't you love to see him on that bench, with the occasional start? I would.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from woobie2. Show woobie2's posts

LOL.... at least he's faster.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtalinm. Show mtalinm's posts

yeah, 19 ABs and you guys have him all figured out. never mind that he hit .301 last year with the second-highest OPS on the team.

if you insist on using small-sample/anecdotal evidence, then take a look at his diving catch + assist at 1B tonight.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtalinm. Show mtalinm's posts

The umpires ruled it a catch and an out, regardless of how little you like him. At least he didn't go 0-4 tonight like Ortiz.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from woobie2. Show woobie2's posts

LOL regarding Timlin. Sadly, Francona's binky is back so expect to see Timlin serving 'em up more frequently.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtalinm. Show mtalinm's posts

Just comparing their stats from this evening. Apparently you didn't catch the (small sample size) irony.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

You must be WMP's grandfather or something, .301 last year ? How many game winning hits were in that lusty BA. I will tell you in case you didn't know. ONE that's right ONE. He is big , he is strong, he can run, So is Roosevelt Colvin, But can he play baseball. Noooooooo. he is a card carrying stiff on the Diamond. It will happen he will be gone, the longer it takes for Theo to realise that this turkey is a mistake, the worse Theo's judgement is . Why would anybody throw him a fastball? What did he hit today for a single? You win a Quippie Doll!!! That's right a genuine Quippie Doll and a set of Ginzo knives. For you have quessed it. Wily Mo Zero has hit a (Drum Roll) that's right you got it in one . The future Hall of Shamer has hit a 88 MPH fastball. Any manager who allows his pitcher to throw Wily Moe Zero anything but a slider should be fired.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack. Show fenwayjack's posts

woobie, you're right. I used to think with more at-bats Pena would wake up but he actually does look worse with each game. He can't lay off that rediculous low outside pitch because he just doesn't have the eyes for the strikezone. He sees what he sees and there's nothing any hitting coach can do about that. Whatever trade value he had is quickly going down the drain. Ellsbury is playing terrific, deserves a chance, especially since he cannot do worse than Wily Mo Belhorn.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from woobie2. Show woobie2's posts

Hey! Belhorn wasn't so bad. I remember a couple of clutch performances, plus the play offs. Willie Moe Howard, in my memory, has never given a clutch performance in his life and his defense is mediocre on his best day. Someone else on the board pointed out he has spent NINE years in the majors. That should be a clue that he's not major league material. Trouble is, everyone knows what a lousy player he is now so it looks like we are stuck with him. How come our scouts (and Theo) didn't have the picture on this guy and were so quick to dump Arroyo for him? This is one of those extraordinarily poor trades that will not go away (like Rentaria).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nuwriter. Show nuwriter's posts

Posted by chloet on 8:03 AM

The Sox should release him immediately; he's useless! If they won't bring up Ellsbury now then they should be playing Hinske in center along with or instead of Coco. It's absolute torture watching Pena at the plate and playing the outfield.

After 18 at bats?

Hinske in center field?

Ellsbury?

Baseball seems to complicated a concept for you to comprehend. Try a simpler game, maybe Chutes and Ladders.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from adco1212. Show adco1212's posts

Wouldn't it be more worth the teams' worth while to send him down to Pawtucket and have him learn how to play First and how to hit piches other than straight fastballs? I've heard rumors that they've flirted w/ the idea of having him play 1st, so why not send him down, have him actually get a few hundred AB's, and then ultimately play him at 1st and move Youk back to 3rd next year? Assuming Lowell's gone next year...which may or may not be a good assumption, but that's another story.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I love the analysis of Prof.Pepe: this guy is a one-trick-pony and the streets are littered with the failed careers of guys like this. Everybody loves his potential, but he really does need to go to a losing team where he can learn basic skills such recognizing and then hitting a curve ball. Only on a losing club will they have the patience to see if he can pull it off.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evans24RF. Show Evans24RF's posts

no offense .406, but I think we know how you feel!

We all know the Arroyo for WMP trade was a mistake when the Red Sox did it. The switch of players from one league has made it look even worse as Arroyo has gone on to pitching in a weaker division (NL Central), and WMP has come into the ugly AL East.

Granted WMP did hit very well the first half of last year, and that's because he shortened his swing with strikes on him, kept his hands close to his body, got his hands out front and the bat head thru the strike zone, went the other way when he had to, and laid off the low and away crap. After his hand surgery last year, and now again this year, he's not doing any of those things. He is extending his arms, not staying balanced and looks totally uncomfortable. He will take a first pitch strike over the heart of the plate, and swing at a ball 12 inches off the plate. Too many strikeouts and few walks and too few hits.

As for his defense... well, lets just say mediocre is a compliment. Sure he made a nice catch last night, but those moments are far and few between.

Does he need to play more regularly to improve? I would say Yes. Should it be here with the Red Sox? Probably not.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evans24RF. Show Evans24RF's posts

I gotta disagree about an immediate release. The Red Sox should shop him around to a team that needs some offensive help, and get some kind of pitching help, or a 1B or 3B in return - anything even if its a AA prospect. I would let Coco keep playing CF, with Drew as his backup, and Hinske in RF to spell Drew. Hinske in CF may be worse than WMP!

I would love to see Jacoby Ellsbury come up and play, but I don't think that will be until September, same with Brandon Moss. Both have a lot of promise, and I hope they can make the ML roster as starters some day soon.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfanwest. Show soxfanwest's posts

Look, it's very simple. It's time Wily Mo Serrano, started thinking about sacrificing a chicken. The batting cage just ain't working!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Someone posted that Wily Mo could probably DH for a good team. We can only pray that that is the case. And if they can unload him the Red Sox should volunteer to pay his salary. Maybe I missed something here, but as horrible as WMP is what team in their right mind would want him, especially a good team!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nuwriter. Show nuwriter's posts

Maybe you could run him out of town on a raaail.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack. Show fenwayjack's posts

Belhorn was Babe Ruth after watching Pena. He has the worst swing in the history of the game. One of these days he's going to go after that rediculous outside pitch in the dirt and a groundhog will be lined over the head of the pitcher. I used to yell and curse when he did that but now I just laugh. We make bets at the bar he'll k in 3 pitches. The only strike he even gets anymore is on the first pitch and he's taking that one all the way. The next ones are in another time zone and he flails away at them like's he swatting flies. How in hell that guy made it to the bigs is a shocker.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nuwriter. Show nuwriter's posts

Funny that you would make a ridiculous statement such as, "He has the worst swing in the history of the game." - and in the next sentance misspell the word ridiculous. (not rediculous.)

You could make a long list of swings that would rank below Pena. Mike Lansing comes to mind.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack. Show fenwayjack's posts

Well excuse my error in spelling (typing) but I had to do some serious drinking to get through tonight's hellish game. I dread seeing the Sox play the Jays. That god Crawford hit that grand slam down in Tampa.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nuwriter. Show nuwriter's posts

I'm not the one claiming that people should be perfect.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from soundslikefrank. Show soundslikefrank's posts

that god for that....oh. yeah, Wily Mo must go.