1. You have chosen to ignore posts from geoffchox. Show geoffchox's posts

Is it really Cassell's fault??

I havent really seen this issue discussed but it seems rather obvious come to think of it. Cassell is Cassell. Lets be fair, he is playing as well as you would expect someone of his experience to play. Comparing him to Brady is grossly unfair. A better comaprison is with some of the rookie QB's or other 1st yr starters. Lets face it if Randy Moss had caught the the 2 bombs(which he dropped) against SD who knows how the game woulda turned out.

So, if Brady's injury had ended his career, then Cassell would be getting more long term evaluation instead of the short term(like a true backup). Lets face it he is a work-in-progress and looking at him thru that lense, he does NOT look so bad. With a season starting under his belt he may be a decent QB in the future.

I'm pretty sure the Genius Pats staff know this. So the question is: Why did they leave a team which is otherwise primed to win today in a situation where there was no QB ready to step in (go forbid...) if something happened to Brady? Please see what Kerry Collins is doing for the Titans for reference.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

My guess is they figured Cassel would do as well as any of the available vets out there. Honestly, there was not a dearth of good veteran QBs on the market in the offseason! I'm sure they could have grabbed a David Carr or Joey Harrington. But neither of these guys would be any better than Cassel, IMO. People were calling for Culpepper, yet he hasn't made any team, so that should show how good he is. Let's face it, there aren't 32 QBs in the league who truly are starting material! I cannot say for sure what their reasoning was, but the fact that none of the FAs were really worth signing is my best guess at it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from brknwing. Show brknwing's posts

Culpepper isn't the asnswer......Bill is going to stick with Cassel and or O'connell at some point, and no matter what fans say or sportswriters write it isn't going to change that fact.

To be fair Cassel is still a work in progress , granted he has 4 years in the system but almost all of it in practice and practice can't simulate game speed, decision making, and taking hits.

As his reads are slower than Brady's the o-line has got to step up and give him that extra time to make those reads, they have been spoiled by Tom who has lighting quick reads and decision making, however that has not always been the case.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

It was a bad move not having a good back up but I think they like how athletic Cassel is, as an athalete he is good, real good. He is young and mobile and he can make every throw but he does not have a lot in the QB vision department and that is hurting him, he misses way too many open players i mean Ben Watson was wide open in the end zone last week and Cassel didnt see him but i think his visionwill get better with time. I think if there was a Kerry Collins out on the market in the offseason we would have signed him but there was not much talent out there. I wish we had made a play for Chad Pennington but he wanted to start some where and at that time Brady was not hurt and making a trade was out of the question at that time as well cause again Brady was healthy back then and by the time he got hurt the season had started and Cassel was the best option cause he knows the system and there was not any veteran talent out there either aside from maybe Kris Simms but i dont even think he would have eben an upgrade.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from brknwing. Show brknwing's posts

agreed taz.... Matt didn't get the last read on Watson who was so open he could have had a big mac and fries while waiting for the ball LOL.....seriously though it will be a matter of trial and error, although we have been watching a lot or error latley.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

test

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Is it his fault that he is bad? No.

Is it his fault the team is 3-2 and not 4-1 or 5-0? Mostly.

His mistakes look like the rookie mistakes you see from busts.

He doesn't look like a football player. At all.

Matt Ryan looks fine in his first year.

Aaron Rogers looks great after spending the SAME AMOUNT OF TIME ON THE BENCH.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Matt Ryan was a top 5 pick and far far better then Cassel and no one is arguing that point, and Arron Rodgers was a 1st round pick who was groomed to be the starter, do you think we groomed Matt Cassel to be a starter? No we did not. There is a huge difference between the two QBs you just mentioned and Matt Cassel and those two loses were no where near Cassels fault what so ever i mean unless he is sopossed to play defense now too? Is he our starting CB? Is it Cassels job to ruch the QB? Dont try and pin it on him we lost those games cause the D did not set the tempo of the game and that is that.

Oh and can you throw the ball 66 yards down field and hit a player right in stride? Cause Cassel can so I would say that means he does in fact "look like a football player"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Zb,

Take it you're not a fan of Cassel? I don't see how you can say it mostly his fault where the D gave up 30 or 38 point. Prior to 2007, Brady almost never put up enough points to counter scores like that.

I think Madden was right that Cassel looks like Brady - he stands in the pocket and throws like him, but he's not Brady. I haven't seen him squeeze the ball into tight spots like Brady could, his bullets don't look as crisp as Brady's, and his whole standing in the pocket thing like Brady did doesn't work out cause he doesn't know how to move around in the pocket and throw before the rush gets to him. The latter point he can improve on. Oh, and he seems to have big issues the closer he gets to the endzone. That said, I think he's the best we can get for this year. Let's support him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from brknwing. Show brknwing's posts

[Quote]Zb,

Take it you're not a fan of Cassel? I don't see how you can say it mostly his fault where the D gave up 30 or 38 point. Prior to 2007, Brady almost never put up enough points to counter scores like that.

I think Madden was right that Cassel looks like Brady - he stands in the pocket and throws like him, but he's not Brady. I haven't seen him squeeze the ball into tight spots like Brady could, his bullets don't look as crisp as Brady's, and his whole standing in the pocket thing like Brady did doesn't work out cause he doesn't know how to move around in the pocket and throw before the rush gets to him. The latter point he can improve on. Oh, and he seems to have big issues the closer he gets to the endzone. That said, I think he's the best we can get for this year. Let's support him.[/Quote]

Agreed!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

What lcued you in. ;-)

Because Brady never (almost) exposed the defense so badly by having six three and outs, one six and out and one INT inside his own 20 in the first ten drives.

The one score he gathered legitimately that game was a stalled drive after a turnover on a very long FG and a gift TD at the end because the Bolts just didn't care and handed the ball over on the 30 or some odd line.

I have watched football enough to know that most teams with an awful offense have an awful defense.

They tend to linger in both categories.

All legendary and the vast majority of great defenses are paired with highly effective ball control offenses for a reason. It keeps the defense fresh and keeps their weaknesses from being exposed.

Cassel's failure to get 3rd and shorts and his failure to convert 3rd and longs and his failure to even extend drives without scoring (a five minute failed drive is OK sometimes, but a 1:20 second drive is awful unless it produces seven points) hurts his entire team.

It gave the fins chance after chance to run silly plays, and the chargers.

Both of those games had something in common . . . our offense couldn't stay on the field and as a result our defense gave up some big plays.

[Quote]Zb,

I think Madden was right that Cassel looks like Brady - he stands in the pocket and throws like him, but he's not Brady. I haven't seen him squeeze the ball into tight spots like Brady could, his bullets don't look as crisp as Brady's, and his whole standing in the pocket thing like Brady did doesn't work out cause he doesn't know how to move around in the pocket and throw before the rush gets to him. The latter point he can improve on. Oh, and he seems to have big issues the closer he gets to the endzone. That said, I think he's the best we can get for this year. Let's support him.[/Quote]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from brknwing. Show brknwing's posts

[Quote]
    Is it his fault? NO. Does he suck as an NFL QB? YES.
    It is the coaches fault for drafting him, Holding onto him for 4 years and now expecting him to succeed as a starter in the NFL when he possesses none of the intangables needed to be an NFL QB.

[/Quote]

So what is your proposal then?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

patience.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtbr1975. Show mtbr1975's posts

Yeah, he sucks so bad that the Pats are second place in the division, tied with the Jets who have one of the best QBs in history playing for them...

You need to do a reality check. Good thing you're not someone the Pats look for in regard to advice, because by your logic, Brady would be sitting on a bench somewhere. Because when he first got the job he wasn't all that great either.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Most of us were shocked Cassell even made the team out of pre-season.

He was awful in pre-season. A lot of posters get saying, "Its only pre-season. Wait for the real games."

Cassell is now playing just as badly as he played in pre-season.

He cannot lead the team to score touchdowns. Those are the facts.

O'Connell cannot be any worse than scoring less than 15 points per game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulK3. Show PaulK3's posts

I'll stick up for Cassel, maybe less than 1/2 sticking up for him.

His O-line had three holes out of six. Matt Light went out. Steve Neal wasn't home yet. Ben Watson was back but needs practice. Then the running game was missing Maroney with his shoulder and Sammy Morris wasn't shouldering the load. The upshot is that Cassel was being chased by trees all day.

Next, San Diego can be pretty darn good when they choose to show up, which is about half the time this year but all the time when they play the Patriots. They reportedly have "talent", they hadn't beaten the Pats in perhaps seven years.

I don't fault the Pats for going on fourth and goal.

LaDanian T. reportedly was getting closer to "100%".

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

YES. Cassel is BAD as a starting QB in the NFL.
    A "work in progress" maybe 4 yrs ago.
    He needs to show more about waht he CAN do now.
    No one is comparing him to Brady. There is NO comparison there.
    I think many fans are realizing how great a QB Brady is in his absence. One of the very best in the history of the NFL.

Could be true BB is picking his poision with what he has available. Dunno wahy Cassell has been the first choice back-up all these years. He was awful in preseason games and is continuing to show more of waht he doesn't know waht to do on the field, then what he does know how to do.

If BB is reading this (and I'm sure he doesn't have the time or inclination) I'm sure he's giving me and the many fans calling for Cassel to be pulled the one finger salute.

Ok BB prove us wrong. So far Cassel is proving us right.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajinflorida. Show ajinflorida's posts

HOW SMART IS BB WHEN HE SAYS CASSEL'S OUR QB? NOT SURPRISING HE LOOKED REAL SMART WHEN COACH HAD TOM BRADY UNDER THE CENTER. ABOUT HALF WAY THROUGH THE SEASON, LET'S SEE WHAT THIS REAL SMART COACH WILL HAVE TO SAY.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulK3. Show PaulK3's posts

Cassel threw 38 passes, plus he had to run forward for his life 7 more times, versus 19 non-QB running plays. Oddly enough, San Diego blitzed more than usual. Cassel's number got called 70% of the time. Versus San Francisco his number got called 50% of the time, and the Pats won by more than 1 score.

Cassel couldn't throw under constant pressure. Neither could Brady at some point higher up the ladder. Also Cassel was somewhat inaccurate, and he didn't see the whole field at all. That's his knock. We're not used to average QBs anymore.

Cassel's a stopgap, but he's the best stopgap available at this time. Bringing in a low-grade veteran won't be as good. Cassel knows the team and the newbie won't, not until next September.

Amid the pressure, Cassel threw one interception and a number of deliberate throwaways sailed far out of bounds. He did those things right. He managed the offense for BB.

Excuse me for giving San Diego credit, but they were a talented team last year. I think 18 first downs against San Diego, away game, with one interception and one team fumble (not lost), is good game management by the offense, especially with a banged up line and a banged up bunch of running backs.

I think O'Connell might possibly beat out Cassel by the 16th week and give the Pats a push into the playoffs, but more likely O'Connell could use two years on the bench.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffg316. Show jeffg316's posts

So far I would give him 35% of the fault, the O-Line about 45%, 20% to the Secondary ahem Delta O'Neal. BUT..... After watching his goal line stance in SD after the half and seeing him completely botch 3 easy layups. I would have to go 65% cassel, 30% Oline, 5% Delta O'Neal who can't cover s%&t.

Truth be told, that o-line really needs to look at themselves and really step up. Moss could play with a little emotion. I would be down and out if I lost my qb too, but you know what. Its just one year. Tom will be back. Cassel is gone after this season, let the rookie get in some games. We are not winning the super bowl. I am not saying lets mail it in, but I think we should see what we have besides cassel. Who knows maybe he will throw the ball when he sees someone open in the endzone, or throw at their hands.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

As a few million other people have said..."Cassel doesn't play defense".
    He's not Brady but he can run ( don't bother to bring up Brady faking out Urlacher ).
    He should use that ability. Steve Grogan was good at it. Yes, I know he took a beating. Right now, Cassel is taking a beating standing in the backfield. Better to get smacked around while picking up yardage and first downs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsrockon. Show patsrockon's posts

I say this somewhat sarcastically, but the only satisfying thing about Brady going down is that we will NEVER hear Tom and "system QB" EVER AGAIN!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeanGar. Show SeanGar's posts

Don't worry about being tied with the Jet's for long Guys and Gals, I'm watching the Jet's and Raider's Game right now, and Goodel's Officials are seriously doing their "darndest" to make sure We won't be tied when all's said and done this week.

Sections
Shortcuts