1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wujeezy. Show wujeezy's posts

Is Papelbon really serious? Or is he having fun...

I am all for people thinking that they are the best at what they do etc...but is Papelbon really serious when he says that he should close in Yankee stadium at the all star game instead of Mariano?

I never paid much attention to the board when people would bash Papelbon about class etc. because I did not know much of his character. But he must be f-ing NUTS if he thinks that he should close instead of even K-Rod. He does not even have more saves than him (mainly because Boston is really good) but anyway.

Then Paps speaks into a reporters tape recorder and he says "I want Mariano to close" or some version of this. And you know that it was "Papi" like calm down kid you have been in the league for 6 minutes. (Tito does not have the cajones for that..maybe he does)/

Can anyone in Beantown defend this cat? I am just wondering how you feel about this dude saying this stuff. Does he not know about respecting History and all that good stuff. It is kinda what baseball is built on.

Peace peoples

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wujeezy. Show wujeezy's posts

Let me say sorry already if this has already been spoken about...(I did not *and have not researched to see if it was) Please indulge me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ldm130b. Show ldm130b's posts

But after filling reporter's notebooks, Papelbon stepped outside of a hotel ballroom and did exactly that.

"This is Jonathan Papelbon, closer of the Boston Red Sox," he said, using a reporter's tape recorder like a microphone. "Mariano Rivera will be closing the 2008 All-Star Game in Yankee Stadium.

"I'm making a statement right now, saying I don't want it, I want him to have it. I said all that earlier, but that's the way I feel about it."

I guess you missed this part? http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/07/15/door_might_be_shut_on_closer_for_al/

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wujeezy. Show wujeezy's posts

No I said that he did that....But it was probably because of Big Papi or someone in his camp...but i guess you missed that part in my statement.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[Quote]No I said that he did that....But it was probably because of Big Papi or someone in his camp...but i guess you missed that part in my statement.[/Quote]

It doesn't matter what a player says. Paps has earned certain rights with his play on the field. He should be a bit brash and confident. I certainly don't think he is being disrespectful at all.

However. if I see Mo in the 8th and Paps in the 9th, I will be very disappointed in Tito. But I don't think that will happen - Tito has class.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ldm130b. Show ldm130b's posts

I don't see it as an issue. He is cocky but I don't think he's that bad. Seeing as he already cleared it up I don't see why it is an issue with you.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wujeezy. Show wujeezy's posts

[Quote]It doesn't matter what a player says. Paps has earned certain rights with his play on the field. He should be a bit brash and confident. I certainly don't think he is being disrespectful at all.

However. if I see Mo in the 8th and Paps in the 9th, I will be very disappointed in Tito. But I don't think that will happen - Tito has class.[/Quote]

Jessey Eric,

I agree with you in that Francona wont put in Paps to close. But do you think that Paps has earned it over Rivera. In my opinion I think that Rivera has been more lights out than Paps, so not even comparing their careers, just this year I would put Mo in before Paps. And when doesn't it matter what a player says... This is a board (like every board) where we flip out over the things people say and do. But I see where you stand on Paps.

Personally I would be telling Paps to chill out...Yes you are nasty as a closer but he has not come close to earning something over Mariano.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ldm130b. Show ldm130b's posts

[Quote]Jessey Eric,

I agree with you in that Francona wont put in Paps to close. But do you think that Paps has earned it over Rivera. In my opinion I think that Rivera has been more lights out than Paps, so not even comparing their careers, just this year I would put Mo in before Paps. And when doesn't it matter what a player says... This is a board (like every board) where we flip out over the things people say and do. But I see where you stand on Paps.

Personally I would be telling Paps to chill out...Yes you are nasty as a closer but he has not come close to earning something over Mariano.[/Quote] I would find it strange if he really thought he was better then Rivera this year. I am a huge homer and hate the yankmees but Paps this year is not even close to being better the Mo is. Paps just seems real cocky this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ldm130b. Show ldm130b's posts

[Quote]I would find it strange if he really thought he was better then Rivera this year. I am a huge homer and hate the yankmees but Paps this year is not even close to being better the Mo is. Paps just seems real cocky this year.[/Quote]I hate these new forums.

That said I meant to say better then not better the....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[Quote]Jessey Eric,

Personally I would be telling Paps to chill out...Yes you are nasty as a closer but he has not come close to earning something over Mariano.[/Quote]

A point was made in some article I read that the manager of an all-star team certainly has the right to choose whomever he wants when the 9th inning comes. And I do believe that Paps made reference to this. However, of the 4 closers that are on the AL squad, I believe Paps is not having a better year than any of them.

Paps is one of the top 5 closers in all of baseball the last several years, there is no arguement there. He is the closer of the defending world champions and the team that is favorite to repeat again this year. Respect has to be given to his ability. Mo is one of the top three closers this year and perhaps the greatest of all-time. I hope he is the one I see pitching in the 9th, but I am not going to lose my brain over it. Tito knows what to do. And if Paps does get a bit mouthy, as someone has already pointed out, I think Big Papi would grab Paps by the ear and tell him to go sit in the corner and start behaving. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bertsch1. Show Bertsch1's posts

It is nice to see such reasonableness on the part of Sox fans concerning Mo and Paps.  Not only is Paps having the poorest year of all the closers on the team, but Dice K should have made the team instead of him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bertsch1. Show Bertsch1's posts

It is nice to see such reasonableness on the part of Sox fans concerning Mo and Paps.  Not only is Paps having the poorest year of all the closers on the team, but Dice K should have made the team instead of him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bertsch1. Show Bertsch1's posts

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firefligh. Show Firefligh's posts

[Quote] 

Maybe someone should remind young Mr Papelbon that he has blown at least 4 saves this year?  Rivera?  How about none.  It's ok to be confident but cocky and arrogant is disgusting.[/Quote]

even more disgusting is the continual misquoting of this player - see the ny daily news for the latest travesty of reporting. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[Quote]even more disgusting is the continual misquoting of this player - see the ny daily news for the latest travesty of reporting. [/Quote] hi Fligh, yeah the guy shoots his mouth off at times, but like it or not..more times than not he gets it done, he's good at his job, plus Mo says it's no big deal, so the Daily news and everyone else should leave it at that....in a sidebar...i say we should all blame this on old "Red Light" Schilling...LOL!!!.....J/K...Schill.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ldm130b. Show ldm130b's posts

[Quote]I truly think Mariano should, this is last year for yankee stadium and he should get the chance to close it out. Papelbon should be put in but in 7th/8th inning. I do like Mariano out of all yankee players and i believe he should get the chance to save last all star game in Yankee stadium[/Quote]As long as the AL wins I'll be happy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from peskypole. Show peskypole's posts

[Quote] 

Maybe someone should remind young Mr Papelbon that he has blown at least 4 saves this year?  Rivera?  How about none.  It's ok to be confident but cocky and arrogant is disgusting.[/Quote]

Unless you're a Yankee, right?  Don't think it really matters either way.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wujeezy. Show wujeezy's posts

"I feel I owe a lot to this game and that's one of the things I owe to this game, to let an elder statesman go ahead of me."

Direct Paelbon quote:

Now someone mentioned that this is the mentality that you want in a closer: A take no prisoner attiude, soemone who knows they are the ebst and takes the mound with that attitude and performs like it.

I agree with this statement. But Paps is at a press conference...he did not just step off the mound after striking out 3 batters and he is defending his ability.

For him to say he understands that he needs to let an elder statesman go ahead of him, is as Mariano is on his last leg struggling through the season and that Mariano made the all star team as a courtesy (kinda like Jeter). Mariano has half his era (or thereabouts). Screw elder statesman...Respect the man that every closer is being compared to.

I lost a lot of respect for Paps...and I am a huge Yankees fan..but I had respect for him...I still respect his game...cuz he is a beast..but that cat is smoking some good stuff.

peace

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhilTheAce. Show PhilTheAce's posts

Gotta love Goose Gossage, he knows what he's talking about. Here's an article where he rips Papelbon a new one.

We know certain things are inevitable. Death, taxes, A-Rod seeking the spotlight and Goose Gossage ripping young players.

Brian Heyman covered the Hall of Famers press conference today and files this report:

Former Yankees closer Goose Gossage took a shot at Boston’s Jonathan Papelbon for wanting to close last night’s game at Mariano Rivera’s place of business, which is going out of business at the end of the season.

“I don’t know how he gets off where he should close,” said Gossage, who will inducted into the Hall of Fame on July 27. “I’m sure … if the shoe was on the other foot where they were in Fenway and it would be the farewell to Fenway, Mariano wouldn’t be saying, “I should be closing out there.’ ”

————

Apparently after realizing how dopey he looked yesterday, Papelbon told the Boston media he really did want River to close. Too little, too late.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from War-Eagle. Show War-Eagle's posts

Real Athletes want the ball for the final outs in a baseball game, they want the basketball for the final shot of the game, they want to be on the football field kicking the game winning field goal, they want to be playing left field and having every ball hit their way, that's what makes an athlete professional, as a manager the members on my teams best want the ball when it matters or they will find them self riding the pine, gotta have that fire in the belly burning, other Athletes will pass and not represent the home team by taking part in the All Start Home Run derby.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seair. Show seair's posts

Lately, I'm not to comfortable when he comes in..  And that look into home plate doesn't impress me.  He's been getting hit pretty good lately.  I wouldn't be surprised if he was serious.  There's no comparing the two. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seair. Show seair's posts

Lately, I'm not to comfortable when he comes in..  And that look into home plate doesn't impress me.  He's been getting hit pretty good lately.  I wouldn't be surprised if he was serious.  There's no comparing the two. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seair. Show seair's posts

Or have Riviera pitch the whole game, extra innings too if neccessary.  Lol

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from B-4-B. Show B-4-B's posts

Paps said that if he was the manger, he would be closing. Woop-di-doodley-doo!
    He has a "closer's mentality". In the biggest moment, he WANTS THE BALL. Is that not what one wants in a closer, a quarterback? He's the Sox's Go-To-Guy.
    He ALSO said that he thinks Rivera should close the Allstar game. Whoop-di-doodley-dooo!
    People need to stop going out of their way to try and be offended. Get a life for god's sake, this is a non-issue to sane, rational people. I would wager my house that Rivera doesn't feel the least bit slighted by anything Papelbon actually said.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFaninNYCakaHell. Show RedSoxFaninNYCakaHell's posts

Complete non-issue. More than once I've heard Paps give Mo his props for all he's done for closers and in the article that ran here today he did it again.  However, as I am striving not to turn into the type of fan that tormented me for the first 3-1/2 decades of my life, I empathize with the senstivity of Yankees fans this year, particularly when you consider that the Yankees are playing the last games of the regular season - my hat aiint pink and there's nothing "New Era" about it so I no better than to declare their season over with the regular season at this point - in OUR house. If it was the last year of Fenway and the situation were reversed, think of how WE'D be taking that. NOT well would be my guess, which is why when I spotted the "Papelbum" headline on the back page of one of the NY tabloids, I just smiled and let it go.:-)

Sections
Shortcuts