1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcoIslandFla. Show MarcoIslandFla's posts

IS Varitek Worth $52 Millions For 4 Years?

Gator: "You forget who Boras was talking to.."

Sox general manager Theo Epstein, apprised of Boras's opinion, had no official comment, but his facial reaction wasn't that of a man who was in agreement.

Apparently Boras was addressing a crowd or a meeting - nor Theo individually.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiley-beni-2817. Show smiley-beni-2817's posts

SCOTT BORAS: WELL... JASON VARITEK CAUGHT 4 NO HITTERS, AND THAT´S A RECORD FOR A CATCHER. SO HE DESERVE
    A BIG RAISE...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT93. Show BurritoT93's posts

TWO YEARS $15 million. Don't like it ? Too bad, l8ter, and thanks for he memories.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ct-pitcher. Show ct-pitcher's posts

Posada is 37, is in the 2nd year of a 4 year, $52 mil contract. 14 years in the league, .277 hitter, .380 obp, .477 slugging. He is Tek's equal by any stretch in handling the Yankee pitchers. Posada got his big deal coming off a career year at age 36.

Tek is 36, coming off a 4 year, $40 mil contract. 12 years in the league, .263 hitter, .346 obp, .439 slugging. Tek is coming off his worst hitting season of his career.

Borass wants Tek to get a $3 million a year raise, based on his equivalence to Posada. It's a nice argument and the only bad part of the deal is if the Sox take it. Tek is free to negotiate with anyone - we should wish him luck.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from billy13. Show billy13's posts

I dont see any team out there that would even offer him 2 yrs. Boras can front all he wants.

You do have to look at the alternatives, and its not pretty. Tek is an above average offensive catcher, not as good as Posada, but definitely one of the better ones. His numbers have been going down for the last three years, bottoming out in 2008.

The sox should offer him 2 yrs, 4-5 million per plus incentives that could make the contract 10mill if he hits, and catchs a certain number of games. A third option year (mutual) could be added.

I dont think Theo is going to have a lot of patience for Boras games in this negotiation, and we know Varitek is impatient about his contractual status. I hope this can be resolved quickly, fairly. We do need to resign him. Dont trade our quality pitching depth for catching!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lowell4MVP. Show Lowell4MVP's posts

This is laughable. 62nd in VORP. You can get better production from any rookie callup, and it will cost the league minimum.

Even 2 yrs / 10 per is absolutely insane to give to this guy.

4 years / 10M TOTAL, maybe, but 4/52?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiley-beni-2817. Show smiley-beni-2817's posts

BUT THE YANKEES MADE A BIG MISTAKE
    SIGNING POSADA TO A 4 YEARS DEAL.
    WHY WE HAVE TOO?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tedyaz2. Show tedyaz2's posts

who cares?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

His numbers have been going down for the last three years, bottoming out in 2008.

What makes you so sure they have bottomed out ?? My Heavens if the guy can't hit in a Contract Year then when ?? I will give him credit for his unique way he did handle his Contract Season. Not to many players, that aren't pitchers, can claim that .600 winning percentage was thanks to him especially batting .220. All I can do is quote Tek on what he said about Manny, If Tek wants to be a Red Sox, He will be a Red Sox !! Hopefully it ain't all just about the Money !! The one thing Boras got going for him is the fact that Theo, although Brilliant, does have a soft spot for those .220 hitters !! I don't see why they just don't sign him and trade him at the deadline this way his contract will only cost the Sox half maybe three quarters just like Rent a wreck, soon to be gone Lugo and quite possibly Lowell !!

GO SOX 2009 !!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiley-beni-2817. Show smiley-beni-2817's posts

Of course, we all know that Scott Boras is crazy as #%$@ anyway but to compare him to Jorge Posada is ridiculous. Neither one of them can throw me out stealing in a wheelchair.

HA,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha. That´s funny

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BatmanJWO. Show BatmanJWO's posts

[Quote]no way in hell, wow i wonder what boras is smoking andwhere can i get some[/Quote]

If you get some, please let me know! That has to be the best batch of crack in history!

If Varitek gets that kind of deal, I am calling Boras to negotiate my next raise at work.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFan-66. Show RedSoxFan-66's posts

[Quote]The Sox will go 2 years 20 mil., perhaps a club option for a third year and challenge any team to surpass. If Tek gets a better offer, or in effect three years guaranteed, I'd be shocked.

The Dodgers? The eight and nine holes with nothing at the plate. His value is even less to a National league team.
    [/Quote]

Varitek does not get 2yrs. 20mil. No WAY! He may be in a Red Sox uniform next year but not at that salary. I would say 2yrs - 17mil.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I think that the odds of Tek remaining with the Red Sox are close to zero %. Boras won't get what he wants, but I think he'll get more than we're willing to pay. Kottaras or Cash will just need to step up as the catchers available are slim. It's a shame, but that's just the business end of the game.

Later Jason, and thanks for the memories man. You will be cheered like a returning hero if you remain in the American league, or return during interleague play.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MorningWood. Show MorningWood's posts

The wild card in all of this is Varitek's impending divorce. Does he want to stay in Boston to be near his kids? Will his wife be staying in the Boston area? What impact will his relationship with Heidi (T)Watney of NESN have on his decision. Just google the divorce and miss watney. Somehow thru all of this free agency stuff, his relationship with Watney and his impending divorce are not even being considered. Maybe he just wants to get the hell out of Dodge!! And on a baseball note, although I am not a yankee fan, Posada is also a good catcher, but can also hit 25-30 HR and drive in 100. Tek, it's been great, but it looks like you have too much on your plate right now. Adios.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from walterjohnson07. Show walterjohnson07's posts

I'm sick of watching him strike out, shuffle quickly back to the dugout, and then later inevitably say "I've got to step it up."

And Terry doesn't need any grief from "The Captain" when Terry wants to pinch hit for him. Isn't a captain supposed to be team first.

This isn't the Tek of yesteryear, so he cannot command peak years dollars.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crlsnjnn. Show crlsnjnn's posts

MorningWood..........I don't think Varitek's pending divorce will have anything to do with where he wants to live. As far as I know, his ex and children live somewhere in Georgia (that's where he filed for divorce so that must be their legal residence). I don't know how true it is, but the rumors are that he has a few girlfriends so I don't think he is particularly sentimental about living near Heidi. And doesn't she travel with the team as a NESN reporter, asking the very stupid "what was going through your head" in EVERY interview of the Sox player who makes that one big play that wins the game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffg316. Show jeffg316's posts

OK my take on the whole varitek situation. I want to see him back. I thiink they will get a deal done. No one else wants him. The yankees maybe just to have him on the bench. But tek is a classy guy and would never go there. I see them giving him a 2-3 yr deal incentive based. but the bigger thing is Tito keeps the bench warm for him and in 2-3 years tek is the next manager of the red sox. Tito's health has to come into question at some point.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

When you replace Tek with Cash or Mirabelli, of course your winning percentage is going to go down. They're not starters, they can't hit either, they're not "teachers", and they're not as good defensively (overall).

What did we do before Tek? We found catchers who can START every day and hit a bit. We survived. We don't need Posada or Pudge Rodriguez (or Tek when he could hit) to catch. How about a dependable, smart, decent catcher who can play every day and hit .275? Our pitchers will get over it.

For the Captain? Two to three years, $30-$36 million. Tops. I'm sure he'll hit better in 2009. It can't get any worse.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ron1951. Show Ron1951's posts

How about keeping Tek as a player/coach? If he is interested in coaching in the future, he will make a great pitching coach to start his coaching career--and John Farrell will eventually leave for the lure of a head coaching job.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiley-beni-2817. Show smiley-beni-2817's posts

[Quote]Boras is a bad Amway salesman.[/Quote]

I AGREE WITH YOU...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiley-beni-2817. Show smiley-beni-2817's posts

[Quote]I think that the odds of Tek remaining with the Red Sox are close to zero %. Boras won't get what he wants, but I think he'll get more than we're willing to pay. Kottaras or Cash will just need to step up as the catchers available are slim. It's a shame, but that's just the business end of the game.

Later Jason, and thanks for the memories man. You will be cheered like a returning hero if you remain in the American league, or return during interleague play.
    [/Quote]

TEAKUS-2 I´M SURE WE WILL HE DESERVE IT.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoFreaknSpin. Show NoFreaknSpin's posts

Boras has dyslexia, he should have said Tek is worth $4 for 52 years....