1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Jarrod Saltalamacchia - Please School Me

Jarrod Saltalamacchia is a good young catcher. I get it. However, many on this board are going ape sh1t over making this trade and giving up Clay Buckholtz in the deal. A year ago, many said the same about Lester that they are now saying about Clay. A year later, Lester is in everyone's top five of AL pitchers. I am not saying Clay will ever be that. But, he still could be a quality starter for years to come. He is going through an adjustment where, for the first time, he experienced failure on any level. He is working through it.

Someone sing the praises of Salty to the point where I want to give up a quality arm. I just don't see it. And, why do the Rangers want to trade him?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[Quote]Rangers want to trade him because they already have Teagarden and Max Ramirez and need starting pitching. To me this is a no brainer. We need a catcher and they have 3 and we have plenty of good young arms in the farm system. From what I'm hearing on is that the Sox would rather have Teagarden, but the Rangers don't want to give him up. If they want Clay then the Sox shouldn't budge on there demand of Teagarden. He's the better catcher of all 3. And if I was Theo I would only give up Bowden and a mid level prospect for Salty who isn't a very good defensive catcher or look else where.
    Do not trade Bard. Papelbon will go where the money is and we need a back up plan just in case.[/Quote]

Thanks, that is a reasonable position. I just hate like hell to give up on a young guy and watch him blossom in Texas. We do need a catcher, though. I hope you are wrong about Paps. Being a closer on a loser won't work for him. So, you might be ticketing him to the Yanks!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

It's a fair question. Thanks, for that.

Buch is way ahead of schedule...like a kid in high school taking college-level courses. He's got monster stuff, according to John Farrell (who was vehemently against trading Lester for anybody). He simply needs to learn to make some adjustments- no biggie. Because he took some tough losses last year in the process of learning (ahead of schedule, I might add, again), fickle Sox fans jumped all over him. Some so-called Sox fans would prefer that we go back to the old days, where we buy our starters and hope that the reight pitchers are availabe when we need them (i.e. like that team from new york). However, now, we're bringing players up through the system. Paps, Lester, Pedey, Ells, Lowrie, and Masterson are prime examples.

Personally, I believe if Buch didn't have such great stuff, he'd be gone, already. The Sox know this kid can learn to pitch- just like Jonny Les. I'm onboard; I believe he will make it big in Boston.

Pertaining to this "Salty" character- he ain't no Tek, simply put. He's got a lot to learn. Ergo, he might be a good backup, while Tek finishes out his career in Boston.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PSFever. Show PSFever's posts

jim,

We could use a catcher who is better offensively at the moment and could actually compliment "not equal" Tek's Stat's. Clay included in a package last season could have brought us Santana. Why? strictly because of his No Hitter and the media hype. Now Clay is just another top prospect who might pan out after a horrible 08. He may not even see any major league action this year with all the pitchers Theo has brought in. When I look at Lester and Masterson there is a certain toughness and determination.

Clay is timid, nervous and doesn't have that dominating fastball everyone thought he might in the majors. With a bit more control I see Clement, not the dominating major league pitcher some do. I could be wrong but one bad year in the minors and we may be stuck with Clay, or get much less in a future trade.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Again it comes down to need. We have plenty of Pitching in the minors (Tazawa and Bowden) and Masterson if needed. We have Penny, Wake and Smoltz to hold the fort for Bowden and Tazawa. Beckett, Lester, and Matsuzaka aren't going anywhere.

What we do need is a Catcher, the Rangers need pitching. Buchholz for Teagarden works perfectly for both of us. Both players will be great, but it comes down to need and availability. There are far more good pitchers than Catchers, and Teagarden will have us set for years to come. Yes Buchholz will be great, but so will Teagarden.

Get it done Theo!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

I AM CONVINCED THAT WE SHOULD GIVE UP BUCH FOR SALTY, LET'S WAIT A SEE WHAT HAPPENS, I THINK TEAGARDEN IS BETTER AND HE IS WORTH BOWDEN NOT BUCH, TIME IS ON OUR SIDE LET'S WAIT AND SEE, OUR CLUB VERY DEEP AND STRONG, BESIDES CATCHER, IF WE HAVE TO WE CAN GO WITH A SHORT TERM REPLACEMENT.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

You guys all make good points. But, what has Salty done? He seems to be more hype than reality in his own right. Am I missing something about his hitting ability. I mean, he's no Pete Incaviglia! I just wanted throw that name out there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcoIslandFla. Show MarcoIslandFla's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Piersall37. Show Piersall37's posts

Thank You!! Sombody finally asking what the big draw is with this "beloved" Salty. I just don't see it. What does he bring to the table? What has he got that requires us to give up front line young pitching?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[quote]You guys all make good points. But, what has Salty done? He seems to be more hype than reality in his own right. Am I missing something about his hitting ability. I mean, he's no Pete Incaviglia! I just wanted throw that name out there.[/quote]

The same could be written of Clay Buchholz, which is why Buchholz and Saltalamacchia could match up in a trade.

Entering the 2007 season less than two years ago, Baseball America ranked Clay Buchholz 51st on its annual list of Top 100 prospects. Jarrod Saltalamacchia, who is nearly nine months younger than Buchholz, was ranked 36th.

Buchholz put together a fine 2007 season in the minors before his MLB call-up highlighted by a no-hitter in his second start.

The no-hitter catapulted Buchholz to Baseball America’s No. 4 ranking entering the 2008 season while Saltalamacchia lost his prospect status by accumulating 308 MLB at-bats in 2007.

The value of Buchholz may have been over-inflated by the September 1 no-hitter against the Baltimore Orioles. We should be cautious against placing too much weight on one game. Ten days earlier against the same lowly Orioles, a younger Saltalamacchia had gone 4-for-7 with five runs, two homeruns and seven RBIs in a nine-inning game.

As a general rule, catchers develop at a slower pace than do pitchers. Nevertheless, Saltalamacchia was playing at higher levels, at younger ages, than was Buchholz.

Buchholz turned 24 during a 2008 season that saw the right-hander post an ERA+ of 68, an ERA of 6.75 and a WHIP of 1.76 while opponents were hitting at a .299 clip. Saltalamacchia turned 23 during a 2008 season that saw the switch-hitter post another OPS+ of 91 in only 230 MLB plate appearances.

On the defensive side, Saltalamacchia is somewhat raw, which is not uncommon for a 23-year-old catcher. However, Saltalamacchia is at least as good defensively as Jason Varitek was at the same age.

Saltalamacchia could overcome his defensive shortcomings with hard work. I have never read anyone question Saltalamacchia’s character. I have never read the word “meltdown” in the same sentence as Saltalamacchia’s name.

Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Clay Buchholz both have high upsides. If I were the Boston general manager, I would be reluctant to trade Buchholz because his trade value has been diminished by his dismal 2008 performance at the MLB level. If I were the Texas general manager, I would be reluctant to trade for Buchholz because of the all the red flags raised by his 2008 performance.

As a side note, I don’t understand the super-high regard for Texas catcher Taylor Teagarden, who has caught only 133 games in a four-year minor league career because of surgery to his throwing arm. In 2008, Teagarden hit .211 with an OPS of .693 in 246 minor league at-bats spread over Double A and Triple A.

[quote]Sombody finally asking what the big draw is with this "beloved" Salty. I just don't see it. What does he bring to the table? What has he got that requires us to give up front line young pitching? [/quote]

If another team offered the Red Sox a pitcher with the sketchy background of Clay Buchholz, would Red Sox fans consider that player "front line young pitching"?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from youngdavid74. Show youngdavid74's posts

I don't understand either. I mean Saltalamachia has potential, But is unproven. We already have unproven Potential Catchers. To think he would come in and start right from the beginning, and be any better than Brown, or Kottares is Ludicrus. This is why Theo will not give Buckholtz or Bowden Up for him. Why trade for something we already have. Yes I know Salty Possibly has a higher ceiling. But now No. Just my opinion.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Clay Buchholz is unproven as well (unless he has proven himself to be highly erratic).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

"Buch" is a Sox; he gets the nickname. Saltalamachia is not.

First-rate pitchers are muchy harder to come by, simply put. So confident, Sox fans are. They never allow for injuries...then, it's- I wish we had that one back. This kid, Buch, is ahead of schedule. He's the high schooler taking college classes, so to speak. He spent last year learning to make adjustments. Unfortunately, many of the fickle Sox fans threw him under the bus because they believed we were supposed to win last year. (Yeah, it was all Buch's fault.)

According to John Farrell- the guy who strongly advised the management NOT to trade Lester- Buch has some of the best stuff on the team. Let the kid pitch.

We're doing the same thing with Ells. If the kid has a string of bad games and/or has to go into an adjustment period, we're ready to toss 'im out. Personally, I though Red Sox fans were smarter than that.

We've got a great farm. However, if we don't let these guys flourish and grow, many of them will just do it somwhere else. It's cheaper in the long run to let them play in Boston. We tried the "keep up with the nyy spending habits" and it didn't work.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ernstbln. Show ernstbln's posts

Sign Tek ! In 1967 the Red Sox got Elston Howard to help win the pennant. He batted a woeful .147 in 42 games with only 1 HR but he stabilized the pitching especially with the young arms and his knowledge, I believe having been at 27 games that year, was the reason the Sox won the pennant. The knowledge Tek has will make a big difference in how the Red Sox pitchers do this year

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from quint869. Show quint869's posts

If Buchholz for Teagarden could be done in any form, Theo would drive Buchholz to Texas himself.

This is a staring match, Sox do not think Salty is worth Buchholz, I may agree, Nothing Salty has done in the last 18 months shows he is ready to be a MLB starting catcher. Poor catcher, not hitting.

Bowden is basically ready to be a MLB starting pitcher as a rookie, and would pretty much be the most talented SP Texas would have.

Remember poker, as much as we need a young catcher, the Rangers need to trade 2 of them in the coming years. They are desperate for pitching and young talent, they cannot have 3 catchers, they are too valuable.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulegill333. Show paulegill333's posts

Not a rabid BB fan, but I do like watching the Red Sox - i'm not local.I agree on the Casey Fossum...hahaha... . I hope RS listen to Farrel the pitching coach about Bucholz, Bard, Bowden etc. it appears 2 of them will make it in the bigs....one of em throws 98 fastballs for strikes!!Yikes!! Lowrie an all American at Stanford? IMHO it would hurt to unload him early on unless a deal to get Hanley -Gulp- Ramirez back. Els and HR top of the order with speed. Eat crow on Varitek for 2yrs. No go on Texas SS Young, let greedy Yanks get more older moving Jeter to 2nd. Go Sox...especially against the NYY.
    Please, just IMHO

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamaicaPlain67. Show JamaicaPlain67's posts

Good thread

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

[Quote]Rangers want to trade him because they already have Teagarden and Max Ramirez and need starting pitching. From what I'm hearing on is that the Sox would rather have Teagarden, but the Rangers don't want to give him up. If they want Clay then the Sox shouldn't budge on there demand of Teagarden. He's the better catcher of all 3. [/Quote]

If you're going to gamble on a young catcher, you better gamble on the best of the three, otherwise you need to give up less than what the Rangers want.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The value of Buchholz may have been over-inflated by the September 1 no-hitter against the Baltimore Orioles. We should be cautious against placing too much weight on one game.

It's more than a single game. On 4/11, he allowed 1 ER, 4 hits, 3 walks in 6 IPs v the NYY. -0- ER v TX on 4/21, 2 ERs v TB on 4/26 with a nifty 9/2 K/W in 8 IPs. I think it is beyond question that he has a huge amount of talent. The question of whether or not we can extract it remains unanswered. I think he has more talent than Lester, but as someone else mentioned, Lester has a real bulldog attitude.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[Quote]Remember poker, as much as we need a young catcher, the Rangers need to trade 2 of them in the coming years. They are desperate for pitching and young talent, they cannot have 3 catchers, they are too valuable.[/Quote]

The Texas Rangers don't "need" to trade a catcher in the coming years any more than the Boston Red Sox "need" to trade from their apparent surplus of pitchers.

The Rangers are no longer "desperate" for pitching and young talent. The Texas pitching prospects top a farm system that will likely be ranked ahead of Boston's.

I agree that the catchers are valuable ... that's why the Rangers are asking for a handsome return if one is traded.

[quote]This kid, Buch, is ahead of schedule. He's the high schooler taking college classes, so to speak. He spent last year learning to make adjustments. Unfortunately, many of the fickle Sox fans threw him under the bus because they believed we were supposed to win last year. (Yeah, it was all Buch's fault.)[/quote]

Just remember that Jarrod Saltalamacchia, who is nearly nine months younger than Clay Buchholz, played at higher levels, at younger ages, than Buchholz did.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[Quote]The value of Buchholz may have been over-inflated by the September 1 no-hitter against the Baltimore Orioles. We should be cautious against placing too much weight on one game.

It's more than a single game. On 4/11, he allowed 1 ER, 4 hits, 3 walks in 6 IPs v the NYY. -0- ER v TX on 4/21, 2 ERs v TB on 4/26 with a nifty 9/2 K/W in 8 IPs. I think it is beyond question that he has a huge amount of talent. The question of whether or not we can extract it remains unanswered. I think he has more talent than Lester, but as someone else mentioned, Lester has a real bulldog attitude.
    [/Quote]

Still, if the Boston Red Sox needed a starting pitcher, and Clay Buchholz were available from another team, I don't think the Red Sox would be particularly high on Buchholz after his 2008 performance.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[Quote]

The same could be written of Clay Buchholz, which is why Buchholz and Saltalamacchia could match up in a trade.

[/Quote]

All that might be true, but to compare the upsides of catchers vs. pitchers is misguided. Pitching should always be a premium. If Buch goes somewhere else and becomes a solid #2, and Salty is an average player at best, Sox fans will go crazy! The Sox can afford to be patient with Clay because of the kind of organization they are. They are great at talent evaluation. So, they will be able find a catcher. Let Clay pitch wherever he needs to in order to get prepared to contribute.

Again, the same things being said about Clay now were said about Lester a year ago. Remember when Lester would not pound the zone? I do!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rnishimu. Show rnishimu's posts

Do not trade Buchholz. I like him a lot better than Masterson. What most people here don't realize is Buch's pure stuff is already among the best in the MAJORS in other words he has what it takes to succeed. Sure, Masterson has a killer sinker and good enough slider. but that's about it. Buch, on the other hand, has so many weapons to get hitters out and unlike what most people here say, his metal toughness is his greatest asset (at least according to his coaches in the minors). He's simply too valuable to trade for a catcher whose defensive skills are yet to develop. Plus, potential starting pitchers are more valuable than potential catchers.

Even Greg Maddux went through the same thing in his first couple of years in the majors (both mechanics and mental stuff). It's too early to give up on him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BA OBP SLG
    245 29 58 12 0 6 30 .237 .340 .359

198 27 50 13 0 3 26 .253 .352 .364

Here's all you need to know about old Salty. The top line is Gregg Zaun last year. The bottom is Salty. They both stink. Whoop de doo. At least Zaun is decent defensively. Salty is no more "proven" than Buchholz. I'd rather keep the pitcher and make due at backstop for a year.

Sections
Shortcuts