1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmmyslinski. Show jmmyslinski's posts

Jets will go after Cassel

I think it is highly likely that the Jets are hoping to see if the Patriots don't franchise Matt Cassel. It is doubtful that the Patriots will take the chance of loading 20% of their salary cap on one position.

It's going to hurt seeing Matt Cassel in a Jets uniform, after rooting a full season for this kid.

You just can't expect the Jets to handle Favre's wishy washy crap the same way he screwed with Green Bay, with his indecisiveness. I think they will be the frontrunners for Cassel.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

From what the football analyst and experts are saying is that the Pats will franchise Cassel and trade him for draft picks if Brady's progress is good to start the season. Once Cassel is traded his salary comes off the cap.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

it will not happen, the patriost will extend the tendor Cassel will probably not sign it and in that event the money does not count against the cap unless it is signed...

the Patriots are building this team throught the draft so they do not need the 20 million that they currently have under the cap PLUS

after feb 27th when all the UFAs are off the books that cap number will grow from 20 million to 30 million leaving the patriost with a budget of 10 million to sign FAs, 10 million to secure rookies out of the draft and 10 milliom surplus which i think they will use to extend Wilfork

other moves i would expect... RFAs like Pierre Woods, James Sanders, Eric Alexander, can receive contracts from other teams but we will receive compensation...

Considering the fac t that we can have Colvin for the vet min i feel we would be wise to let Woods, Alexander and Sanders fly if they are wanted for the picks because Ruud, Redd, Guyton and Crable are much better alternatives

I am looking for Seymore to be moved in order to free up space for free agents down the road...

there are plenty of mid market players that can be signed that will improve this team... We need a CB/SS/MLB in the first to sure up the D becasue i feel wheatley and wilhite will be great with a year under there belt

if cassel goes to the vikes can pick up there fifteenth they will take our 23 and we will also get there second... so ultimately he goes to min for a 8 slot move in the first and a second and that would leave the pats with three seconds....... OT/OG/TE

my feeling is that the pats will be able to get Vonte Davis, Larinitas, Maualuga or maybe a great OT if someone slips out of the top ten

the patriost will tag this cat just to keep him out of the diviosion

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

cassel is worth at least a 1st round pick, why would we have to give minn. our 1st in exchange for ours? all the experts say he will go for a late 1st AND a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Cassel will net us a mid round 1st and 3rd which will enable us to fix the defense.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

[Quote]it will not happen, the patriost will extend the tendor Cassel will probably not sign it and in that event the money does not count against the cap unless it is signed...

the Patriots are building this team throught the draft so they do not need the 20 million that they currently have under the cap PLUS

after feb 27th when all the UFAs are off the books that cap number will grow from 20 million to 30 million leaving the patriost with a budget of 10 million to sign FAs, 10 million to secure rookies out of the draft and 10 milliom surplus which i think they will use to extend Wilfork

other moves i would expect... RFAs like Pierre Woods, James Sanders, Eric Alexander, can receive contracts from other teams but we will receive compensation... (woods and sanders will return there is no way BB lets them walk we don't need the picks)

Considering the fac t that we can have Colvin for the vet min i feel we would be wise to let Woods, Alexander and Sanders fly if they are wanted for the picks because Ruud, Redd, Guyton and Crable are much better alternatives (I bet we keep colvin at the min. and keep sanders we need the safety help)

I am looking for Seymore to be moved in order to free up space for free agents down the road... (seymore doesn't leave here, he may get his contract restructured but he doesn't leave he is one of the pillars of our defense)

there are plenty of mid market players that can be signed that will improve this team... We need a CB/SS/MLB in the first to sure up the D becasue i feel wheatley and wilhite will be great with a year under there belt

if cassel goes to the vikes can pick up there fifteenth they will take our 23 and we will also get there second... so ultimately he goes to min for a 8 slot move in the first and a second and that would leave the pats with three seconds....... OT/OG/TE (the pats will go defense for 2 of their 3 seconds I agree with the TE pick though hopefully pettigrew is available)

my feeling is that the pats will be able to get Vonte Davis, Larinitas, Maualuga or maybe a great OT if someone slips out of the top ten (the pats will get vontae Davis or another top CB with their first pick because that is their greatest need. although i wouldn't be disappointed if they got one of the top 3 LB's in this draft)

the patriost will tag this cat just to keep him out of the diviosion[/Quote]I agree he will be tagged so they can capitalize on all the effort BB used on him and the risk he took keeping him on the roster when everyone was calling for his head. He is stated to be worth a 1st and a 3rd and i will be disappointed if we get anything less (unless there is a player involved in the trade).

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

the reason i have toned it down on the first and........, multi pick package is because i value........ me personally......... i feel as though the first round renders first year starters under twenty...... being that we would typically trade a second or a third to move up 8 in the first, then this is very realistic

last year the Jags foolishly spent four picks to move ahead of the patriots and take Harvey.... they moved from the 26 to 8 for there first 2 thirds and a fourth....

rather than take the second JUST take the first i.e. 15th and 23rd if it was Min, I beleive it would be best to move up 8 slots and take a second

====== I think that these teams are picking up steam as well; Carolina, Tampa, Seatle, Rams and the 49ers......... i beleive would be able to make a run as well but i do not feel that Cassel is worth a top pick being that he had played in this system for four years and the fact that he was throwing to welker, moss, gaff etc.

VS. a first and a third or a second third and fifth

right now scouts.com says that Cassel is worht a second and a third plus a future... due to the fact that there is too many FA QBs hitting the market this year

I like Snaders but I would rather see the pats sign Oshiomogho Atogwe whom i feel BB likes a lot....

I also feel woods is a valuable memeber of the team but he may never see the field because Crable will pass him on the depth charts which makes him expendable seeing how AD is signed through 2012.... WHICH is why i would rather take a flier on another project.... after all Rodney was a fifth rounder....

Petti is a first round tallent so i am looking at the Cat from rice in the third to be the next pass catching TE, while i feel Thomas is going to have to earn his snaps in the trenches due to his infatuation for hitting men after the wissle
    Seymore can stay for less money... If Brady and Seymore resigned for long term deal i would not mind.... touble is if Seymore does not restructure he will be traded and i do not have a problem with that because Wright and Green are pretty darn good....
    as always i feel the best thing for the team is Youth mixed blue collar mentality and a little bit of Age and wisdom to keep the young cats in line...

this would be great as well

Seymore Wilfork Warren

Vrable Guyton Mayo Thomas
    1st rounder Meriwheather Atogwe Hobbs

Primary back ups and packages
    slot= Wlihite
    Primary back= Wheatley
    OLB=Crable/woods
    ILB=Bruschi
    DE=Wright/Green
    DT= Smith

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Will another team try to sign him after he's been franchised? Thats the only way that the Jets will get him. And 2 first rounders will be plenty. That would be the ideal situation.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

[Quote]If you franchise Cassell, he will make you pay him next year. I doubt he is going to let you trade him for less pay next year. That would be stupid on his part. Pats will be stuck with 14 million plus Brady's salary on their cap next year if they franchise him. You wait and see.[/Quote]
    Man, nothing is worse than seeing someone with no football knowledge blurt out crap. Look, if you know nothing about football, at LEAST TRY and make some sense.
    What would be stupid on his part, would be to take the 14mil tender and injure himself and ruin his career aka Robert Edwards. The SMART thing to do ( please note that smart is the opposite of stupid ) would be to take a 5-6 yr contract at 6mil per with 15-20 mil guaranteed. Hmmmm take a chance at 14mil and perhaps ruin my career or take 36mil with 15 guaranteed, thats a toughy. Think moron think.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[Quote]it will not happen, the patriost will extend the tendor Cassel will probably not sign it and in that event the money does not count against the cap unless it is signed...

other moves i would expect... RFAs like Pierre Woods, James Sanders, Eric Alexander, can receive contracts from other teams but we will receive compensation...

Considering the fac t that we can have Colvin for the vet min i feel we would be wise to let Woods, Alexander and Sanders fly if they are wanted for the picks because Ruud, Redd, Guyton and Crable are much better alternatives

I am looking for Seymore to be moved in order to free up space for free agents down the road...

if cassel goes to the vikes can pick up there fifteenth they will take our 23 and we will also get there second... so ultimately he goes to min for a 8 slot move in the first and a second and that would leave the pats with three seconds....... OT/OG/TE

my feeling is that the pats will be able to get Vonte Davis, Larinitas, Maualuga or maybe a great OT if someone slips out of the top ten

the patriost will tag this cat just to keep him out of the diviosion[/Quote]

No. That isn't true. Once the Pats tag him, the money is taken out of the Cap. The Pats don't get the money added back into their Cap until they either 1. Trade Cassel with his SIGNED tender offer 2. Sign Cassel to an extended contract regardless of whether or not they trade him. Now if they sign him and keep him, the new contact is a hit against the Cap.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcappy. Show jcappy's posts

Another deceptive headline----stop with these, please. Unless you have something concrete---not just a wishful thot one might have while trying to fall asleep or day dreaming at one's desk.

And to boot, hardly one response even speaks to this... why? because it's all air, like cotten candy. Wait for real signs for this to happen--the post them. And as indications, not as realities.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[Quote]Will another team try to sign him after he's been franchised? Thats the only way that the Jets will get him. And 2 first rounders will be plenty. That would be the ideal situation.[/Quote]

PFG,

The only way the Jets will get him is if they give him an offer sheet BEFORE he signs the tender. Once the tender is signed, he is under contract with the Pats and they will handle trade negotiations. This means that once signed, Cassell will need permission from the Pats to talk to any team and they will NOT/NOT give him permission to talk to any AFC East team.

If the Jets do give him an offer before he signs, then the Pats have 7 days to match the offer. If they choose not to, the Jets would owe us their first round picks in 2009 and 2010.

(This is how we got Welker as an RFA. We offered him a sheet before he signed his RFA tender. The Pats then could have signed him for a 2nd rounder, but instead chose to negotiate with Miami (They didn't have to.) and ended up trading for him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[Quote]
    Man, nothing is worse than seeing someone with no football knowledge blurt out crap. Look, if you know nothing about football, at LEAST TRY and make some sense.
    What would be stupid on his part, would be to take the 14mil tender and injure himself and ruin his career aka Robert Edwards. The SMART thing to do ( please note that smart is the opposite of stupid ) would be to take a 5-6 yr contract at 6mil per with 15-20 mil guaranteed. Hmmmm take a chance at 14mil and perhaps ruin my career or take 36mil with 15 guaranteed, thats a toughy. Think moron think.
    [/Quote]

Never minf the fact that he is a competitor and would much rather play than ride the pine. The thought of somone jumping on $14mil because it is there is naive.

People don't practice football their entire life, wait eight years to get a shot, and then just decide they would rather take LESS money to sit on the bench.

Cassel and his agent will work with NE to find agood compromise for the two of them. He might get a couple million less, and he might not get to go to his first choice (although Minny is a great choice for him anyhow) but he will take the deal and play.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmmyslinski. Show jmmyslinski's posts

[Quote]Another deceptive headline----stop with these, please. Unless you have something concrete---not just a wishful thot one might have while trying to fall asleep or day dreaming at one's desk.

And to boot, hardly one response even speaks to this... why? because it's all air, like cotten candy. Wait for real signs for this to happen--the post them. And as indications, not as realities.

[/Quote]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmmyslinski. Show jmmyslinski's posts

Not trying to be deceptive, just being intuitive. This seems like a logical move for the Jets. Not saying Cassell wants to go to NY, but the Jets would be a good fit for him. The Jets moving forward with dfensive mastermind Ryan will be very impressive next year, and they will be looking for a QB when Favre crys at his next retirement press conference.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LouieDaLipp. Show LouieDaLipp's posts

I love it. The Fans of New England NEVER LEARN, you over rate all your players and live in your own little world. Then you wonder why you get your hearts broken. Matt Cassel did a good job playing with the most prolific offense of our generation with the best coach in the leagus and two of the best WR's. He had the easiest schedule in the history of football, and most of his yards were RAC yardage from Welker and Moss. He couldn't throw the ball down the field with any accuracy whatsoever. His claim to fame is mastering the screen pass to Welker.

nobody is going to pay Cassel 13 million dollars and give up their 1st round pick too. INSANITY.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

Louie
    Just wait and see what happens Jets troll. Remeber Cassel is not a washed up ancient QB living off his reputation like your team picked up. Last year there was a team willing to pay a 1 and 3 for Derek Anderson who didn't have the season Casell did.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

[Quote]
    [/Quote]

Reds-Ghost,

Don't insult another poster because you disagree with him. Be civil. Be polite. Be respectful.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LouieDaLipp. Show LouieDaLipp's posts

Ricky, i could care less what "they: say about the schedule. I watch football for 40 years. You can't look at the record of a team and determine how good they are. Miami wasn't a much better team then they were last year yet they won 10 more games. The Jets STUNK and won 10 games in that lousy division. Buffallo, Jets, Miami, Pats, St louis, Seattle, San Fran, all their wins come against each other. So you look at the Jets record at 10-6, but forget they got to play Buffalo twice, Miami, twice, St louis, Seattle, San Fran, that's 7 easy games, The worst division in the AFC, played the Worst division in the NFC and ALL of their reords are inflated.
    Miami 11 wins and division winner,....SCHEDULE!!!!!!!!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Right now the jets are like 9-millon over the cap,and there are rumors of them wanting to bring in ray lewis,and they are trying to figure out what favre will be doing.id like to know how they can afford any situation.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[/Quote]

What? First of all, it's tender not tendor. Tendor is not a word in the English language. Second, there is no "tender" as in a negotiated contract. Cassel's only option is to accept being franchised and the average of the top 5 QBs as his 2009-10 salary or refuse it.

If he refuses it, he sits out the 2009-10 season getting a salary of 0. He then would become a free agent in 2010-11 season. This is what we call a no-brainer.

No rational person believes that the Pats are not going to franchise Cassel. their cap number is about 116 million. The average of the top 5 QB's salaries is about 14 million. That's less that 10%, not 20%.

The Pat's 2008 salary was $91 million, third lowest in the league. They will franchise him and trade him, receiving draft picks, possibly in future years as compensation. Once he's traded, his salary goes with him and puts that $14 million back under the current year's cap. End of story.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

[Quote]The Cheats best keep cassel because Brady's best days are well behind him.That knee will never be the same.His teammates didn't see him all year and now he's getting married?!
    Stick a fork in him folks and keep cassel.Add the fact that half the coaching staff left that sinking ship and the cheats will be lucky to go .500 next year.
    [/Quote] Dream on troll. How are your Jets doing? They'll be deader than Leon himself next year.