1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 0407Champs. Show 0407Champs's posts

Johnny Pesky

WEEI just reported that the Red Sox will retire Johnny Pesky's #6 as soon as this Saturday's game against the Yankees.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sledhead. Show sledhead's posts

Johnny Pesky

Should have been retired long ago. At least there doing it while he's still with us. The Sox couldn't have had a better guy carrying the flag..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from megasudz. Show megasudz's posts

Johnny Pesky

Well deserved. His dedication to the Red Sox for almost 60 years trumps the current policy for retiring numbers. Maybe n 40 years we will see #2 retired?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Johnny Pesky

Pesky Pole would not exist without Johnny Pesky. His deducation to the Sox is unparalleded. He is one of the founding fathers of Red Sox Nation. A class gesture for a class person.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfcrowley99. Show mfcrowley99's posts

Johnny Pesky

A classy move on the Red Sox part that is well over due.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rcasey28. Show rcasey28's posts

Johnny Pesky

Class move Red Sox, I'm glad Mr. Pesky will be around to enjoy it!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Poon. Show Poon's posts

Johnny Pesky

This is a mistake. His performance as a player does not support this. The pole is a sufficient "lifetime achievement award" for Pesky.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beso. Show Beso's posts

Johnny Pesky

His stats are not that much different than another #6...Rico Petrocelli...why not retire it for both players? ...and Rico finished his career w/ the Red Sox...Pesky didn't.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Johnny Pesky

I think this is long overdue & just glad they are doing it while he is around to see it. Retiring numbers should be about more than production (Clemens??) but about team dedication. Nobody has shown that like Johnny Pesky & given today's baseball realities of trades & free agency, it may never happen again.
    Kudos to the Sox for finally listening to the fans!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from heathbarkley. Show heathbarkley's posts

Johnny Pesky

Congratulations to Johnny Pesky! A richly deserved honor for a class act and true gentleman that should have happened ages ago (although there was a pretty fair shortstop named Rico Petrocelli using No. 6 for a while there). Pesky was far from an average player -- in fact, his career numbers more than stack up against his old nemesis and colleague, Yankee Phil Rizzuto, who is in the Hall of Fame. Pesky should be in the HOF too, but there's always been a bias against middle infielders and players whose contributions were primarily defensive (Mark Belanger and his dozen or so gold gloves anyone? Dave Concepcion?). But Pesky was a key cog in that Ted Williams-era lineup and I would love to see Johnny go in while he's still with us. And speaking of retiring numbers, how about No. 24? No, NOT because of Manny but rather the REAL No. 24, who played two decades in Boston: The peerless, cannon-armed Dwight "Dewey" Evans, one of the greatest ourfielders the Sox have ever had. Eight gold gloves and nearly 400 HRs too. For anybody old enough to remember him throw from deep right, NOBODY ran on Dewey. How many opposing runs did he prevent with that arm?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joescotch4. Show joescotch4's posts

Johnny Pesky

It's about time Theo. This should have been done,especially when they kicked him out of the dugout. He is the epitome of a RedSox. God Bless Johnny.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from joescotch4. Show joescotch4's posts

Johnny Pesky

[Quote]Congratulations to Johnny Pesky! A richly deserved honor for a class act and true gentleman that should have happened ages ago (although there was a pretty fair shortstop named Rico Petrocelli using No. 6 for a while there). Pesky was far from an average player -- in fact, his career numbers more than stack up against his old nemesis and colleague, Yankee Phil Rizzuto, who is in the Hall of Fame. Pesky should be in the HOF too, but there's always been a bias against middle infielders and players whose contributions were primarily defensive (Mark Belanger and his dozen or so gold gloves anyone? Dave Concepcion?). But Pesky was a key cog in that Ted Williams-era lineup and I would love to see Johnny go in while he's still with us. And speaking of retiring numbers, how about No. 24? No, NOT because of Manny but rather the REAL No. 24, who played two decades in Boston: The peerless, cannon-armed Dwight "Dewey" Evans, one of the greatest ourfielders the Sox have ever had. Eight gold gloves and nearly 400 HRs too. For anybody old enough to remember him throw from deep right, NOBODY ran on Dewey. How many opposing runs did he prevent with that arm?[/Quote]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 0407Champs. Show 0407Champs's posts

Johnny Pesky

Here, here....great posts guys!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from joescotch4. Show joescotch4's posts

Johnny Pesky

Let's now make a push for Dwight Evans , the real #24

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cardinal+law. Show cardinal+law's posts

Johnny Pesky

I only want to agree with those that have said that it
    is a well deserved honor for Johnny.
    Congratulations to you Mr. Pesky....or should we call you Mr. Red Sox.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MD37. Show MD37's posts

Johnny Pesky

No need to rush it. It's only 15 years late. Very deserved!

Look forward to 14 getting retired someday soon. Jim Ed, you the man!!!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

Johnny Pesky

The Ambassador

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from heathbarkley. Show heathbarkley's posts

Johnny Pesky

[Quote]Also 1949SoxFan......and my own congratulations to Johnny. Watching him then (in '49) play shortshop with Bobby Doerr at second and Vern Stephens at third gave everyone in the stands a great feeling of security, similar to what we've had during the recent World Series years, in the infield positions.

Johnny seemed always to be upbeat and a team player, and anytime the Sox were in it for the league championship against the Yanks or Indians or whoever, you could count on him to give it his "best shot."[/Quote]

THANK YOU SO MUCH 1960Patsfan, for the great memory and perspective for those of us who weren't there to live it and have only had books, photos, griny footage, and statistics to soak up! Oh yeah, Johnny hit over .300 SIX times in EIGHT years with the Sox, and finished with a lifetime average of .307 (A certain Yankees HOF SS finished at .273).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Johnny Pesky

Congrats Mr. P. ...it's about time..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 0407Champs. Show 0407Champs's posts

Johnny Pesky

[Quote]I'm sorry but I am just not in favor of this. I always loved that the Red Sox wouldn't retire your number unless you are a Hall of Famer and retire with the Red Sox (except for the special circumstance for Fisk, acknowledging the mistake made letting him go), which makes sense and differentiates us from the Yankees, who retire the number of guys like Don Mattingly who isn't in the Hall. If they aren't retiring Boggs #26 then why Pesky? It makes no sense and opens the door for guys like Varitek and Schilling, great players but not Hall of Famers, to have their numbers retired and it cheapens it. The Pesky Pole ought to be enough.[/Quote]

While Johnny and the rest of the players you mentioned above are not Cooperstown Hall of Famers, they are Red Sox Hall of Famers and therefore should be recognized as such. Importance to a team and the game of baseball at large should not be left to writers who carry their own
    biases toward particular players when voting who is worthy. I am glad as a life long Red Sox fan that some of the great Red Sox I grew up watching will now have a chance to be immortalized at Fenway.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zitface. Show zitface's posts

Johnny Pesky

To those acting like this will "open a can of worms"

I'm quite willing to set a precedent that allows the honoring of a man who:

was a GREAT player
    AND
    a respected, beloved icon for more than half a century

a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of a simple mind
    those who can not see Pesky as a special case are foolish and simple indeed

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghamann. Show ghamann's posts

Johnny Pesky

Here we go. Just like the Bruins. I hope they're prepared to do this with all the players that have similar (or better) stats who've worn Red Sox uniforms:

Wade Boggs
    Mo Vaughn
    Mike Greenwell
    Dwight Evans
    Jim Rice
    Lee Smith
    Pedro Martinez
    Bill Buckner
    The list goes on....

Pesky played for the Sox for 8 years. He arguably cost them the World Series against the Cardinals. Is this for real? No number should be retired for any player not enshrined in Cooperstown.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brawla. Show Brawla's posts

Johnny Pesky

This Discredits the integrity of the retired #’s they should all be HOF”ers that it ..