1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1218592. Show user_1218592's posts

Johnny Pesky

What an absolute disgrace. Who's next, Joe Sambito. Let's not confuse longevity with greatness. He seems like a nice enough fellow, but so to was Steve Crawford. Where do we draw the line? Does that mean he's going to get in uniform again?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaeljp. Show michaeljp's posts

Johnny Pesky

[Quote]It's a nice gesture, but when it's the year 2300, what numbers will the Sox use? #106? You figure #14, #45 and a few others will be retired within ten years. I don'tunderstand why they're doing it for just an average player.[/Quote]

While technically true (Pesky had a 108 OPS+) that he was a slightly above average player, he's getting this honor because of what he has meant to this organization. 60 years of service, the Pesky Pole, coach, manager, The Teammates, .307 lifetime average, .394 lifetime OBP, 200+ hits in each of first three seasons, 100+ plus runs scored in each of first six seasons, his ambassadorship. The Red Sox are breaking with tradition of only retiring numbers of Hall of Famers, and Johnny Pesky's case rightfully so!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaeljp. Show michaeljp's posts

Johnny Pesky

[Quote]It's a nice gesture, but when it's the year 2300, what numbers will the Sox use? #106? You figure #14, #45 and a few others will be retired within ten years. I don'tunderstand why they're doing it for just an average player.[/Quote]

While technically true (Pesky had a 108 OPS+) that he was a slightly above average player, he's getting this honor because of what he has meant to this organization. 60 years of service, the Pesky Pole, coach, manager, The Teammates, .307 lifetime average, .394 lifetime OBP, 200+ hits in each of first three seasons, 100+ plus runs scored in each of first six seasons, his ambassadorship. The Red Sox are breaking with tradition of only retiring numbers of Hall of Famers, and Johnny Pesky's case rightfully so!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaeljp. Show michaeljp's posts

Johnny Pesky

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from taowen1. Show taowen1's posts

Johnny Pesky

JOHN-NY PES-KY!

clap
    clap
    clapclapclap

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1218592. Show user_1218592's posts

Johnny Pesky

[Quote]It's about time!! Johnny is in a class all by himself! Congratulations Mr. Red Sox!!! Oh, and the 24 in my ID is for the REAL one - Dwight Evans!![/Quote]

Manny's a lifetime .314 hitter w/ 526 HR's. Dewey is a lifetime 270 hitter w/ 380 HR's. Dewey has nothing on Manny with the exception of the sweet mustache. Again, let's not confuse good citizenship with greatness.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiana. Show andiana's posts

Johnny Pesky

Johnny Pesky represents the epitome of class and grace. What an honor to have his #6 grace his fans every time we visit Fenway.

A great move, long overdue.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1218592. Show user_1218592's posts

Johnny Pesky

[Quote]It's about time Theo. This should have been done,especially when they kicked him out of the dugout. He is the epitome of a RedSox. God Bless Johnny.[/Quote]

Theo had absolutely nothing to do with this.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cai. Show Cai's posts

Johnny Pesky

I can't believe that people are actually AGAINST this.

What "Can of worms" will this open? The Red Sox decided to change the arbitrary rules created by the LAST ownership on how to retire a number. Big deal. This means the Red Sox, and not the fans or anyone else, can decide who deserves the honor.

The HoF is voted in by sports writers, all who have different ideas on who deserves to be in. It shouldn't be how teams decide who to honor on their own.

Pesky deserves the honor. There are others who also deserve it and aren't in the Hall of Fame. This doesn't mean the Sox will start retiring number after number, it just means they aren't held to a stupid set of rules that they didn't even create.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cai. Show Cai's posts

Johnny Pesky

[Quote]

Theo had absolutely nothing to do with this.[/Quote]

Theo is part of the front office. He more than likely had a say in the matter.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SPINJIM59. Show SPINJIM59's posts

Johnny Pesky

what about JIM RICE. iF YOUR RETIRING PESKY THEN RICE SHOULD BE RIGHT NEXT TO HIM.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from storkman. Show storkman's posts

Johnny Pesky

Look, I am as big a fan of Pesky's as anybody, but the rules were in place for a reason - to make it very difficult to qualify, thus retaining the magnitude of the accomplishments of the men behind the numbers that reside up there. With the current state of free agency, by the old rules it would be unlikely to see many more numbers retired. Maybe it would never happen (I believe they sidesteppted the Fisk dilemma by giving him a front office job so that he "ended his career with the sox"). This is what makes retiring numbers so f*cking special. Now I like Dewey and I like Tony C. And I like Dom D. and I like Johnny Pesky. And everybody likes retiring numbers. But for ownership to change the rules for the appeasment of an increasingly ignorant fanbase is not something with which I can agree.

But congrats Mr. Pesky.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Poon. Show Poon's posts

Johnny Pesky

Before he became the beloved elder statesman of the Red Sox clubhouse, he was viewed by a different generation of players as management's inside man. He was a good, not great player, and undistinguished in every other capacity as an employee, save for longevity. The bar has been lowered today. I don't trust the Red Sox PR machine to resist the temptation of hanging a new number (Tony C is next) every couple years in exchange for a few days of good press.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from coffeepd. Show coffeepd's posts

Johnny Pesky

Long over due. A great gesture to a great gentleman.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Poon. Show Poon's posts

Johnny Pesky

Thanks for the support, jbt. What slap hitting infielder / company man next gets to have his number retired? Rem-job?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckymarbles. Show luckymarbles's posts

Johnny Pesky

It's about time. I will be proud to point up to the numbers and explain to my son how Johnny Pesky was as much a part of the Red Sox tradition as the Green Monster, the Williams Seat, and the Citgo Sign. A class act, for a classy man. I hope he got a ring when the Sox finally won there series as well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from halfaday. Show halfaday's posts

Johnny Pesky

found on the red sox web site. so many people think the Pesky Pole is in left field ( wrong-- it is right field )

What is Pesky's Pole?

Even though Pesky's Pole was dubbed that in the 1950s, the phrase really didn't become popular until the late 1980s or early 1990s. According to former Red Sox star Johnny Pesky, it was Sox pitcher Mel Parnell who coined the term, after Pesky hit a home run just beyond Fenway Park's right-field foul pole. That home run — one of only six homers Pesky ever hit at Fenway Park — won the game for Parnell.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreamer007. Show dreamer007's posts

Johnny Pesky

[Quote]JOHN-NY PES-KY!

clap
    clap
    clapclapclap[/Quote]

i second that

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Al-Dogge. Show Al-Dogge's posts

Johnny Pesky

Wow... I am COMPLETELY blown away by the negative commentaries. It has become sickening that people equate greatness simply to statistics and nothing else. What about integrity, humility, dedication, sportsmanship, etc. Yes performance is part of the picture, and Pesky was good enough to deserve this.

With all due respect to Rice, Dewie, Boggs, Tony C, and all the other names being bantered about as more derserving, no one has done more both on AND off the field for the Red Sox for three full generations than Pesky as player, manager, bench coach, batting coach, base coach, fielding coach, and broadcaster. If in 40 years any of those guys have matched even half of that contribution, then by all means, let's retire their numbers too.

My only problem with all of this is why such short notice? Does the front office know something about Johnny's health that we don't? If so, all the more reason to honor the guy while he is around apppreciate it. Wish it weren't Friday night against the Yankees.... which all but ensures tickets will be at a premium!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from xcurse2004. Show xcurse2004's posts

Johnny Pesky

You would have thought the Sox would have done it already... Couldn't happen to a more deserving guy, great baseball man who loves the game not for the financial reward but just for the game itself.. Johnny Pesky is what baseball should be

Congrats!!!!!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from xcurse2004. Show xcurse2004's posts

Johnny Pesky

[Quote]

i second that[/Quote]

I third that

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from powerworm1. Show powerworm1's posts

Johnny Pesky

The Sox should let #6 Manage the game Friday !!!!!!!!!!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevemitchell. Show stevemitchell's posts

Johnny Pesky

[Quote]

Average player? This guy was a hit machine and could play SS and 3rd as well as anyone. The day they traded him to Detroit I cried. This is an honor that is long overdue. He is and will always be my favorite player in a Sox uniform. Do you actually believe they will be playing baseball in the year 2300?[/Quote]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevemitchell. Show stevemitchell's posts

Johnny Pesky

He was an average player. This is a joke. And to whoever posted about the famed "Pesky's Pole," it's only called that because he couldn't hit it farther than that on a good day.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from umustbekidding. Show umustbekidding's posts

Johnny Pesky

[Quote] He was not an average player and you're a nitwit.[/Quote]

The numbers tell the story - VERY AVERAGE. Typical Red Sox media hype goes well with having a WILD CARD Celebration.