1. You have chosen to ignore posts from longview1967. Show longview1967's posts

Josh Bard

I'm a little confused about the lack of support for Josh Bard as starting catcher, and the continual drumbeat for trading for Salty or Teagarden, both unproven catchers. I know he's been up and down offensively in his career, but is there any reason not to expect him to hit .260-.280 with a decent OBP and good plate discipline? His defense is at least very solid (although not great throwing out runners). If they sign Varitek as backup at a reasonable price and a one-year deal, all the better. Given the weakness at the position around the league, Bard seems a good choice for the Sox, at least for the coming season. And he at least has "experience" catching Wake (OK, that's another issue, but one he thinks he can master.) What am I missing?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Josh Bard

What you're missing is that this board is abundantly populated by two types of posters:

Those that like the Sox ONLY if they have a HOF candidate and all-star at every position, and

Those that do not like the Sox at all; they just pretend to so that they can disparage anything positive real fans have to say about the team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Josh Bard

31 in March, terrible 2008, waived by the Padres when catchers are at a premium, not much power....

...I see your point, but I see his upside as a backup, no more.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Josh Bard

If the RS sign Tek, and they will, it will be as the starting catcher. I'm sure that's been the plan all along...to have Bard back-up.
    I think that Cash would have been a helluva lot more productive if he had been given more playing time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from longview1967. Show longview1967's posts

Josh Bard

I'm seeing the move as a positive one-year situation. On the other hand, if he does prove to hit consistently at or above his career average, he may prove to have longer term value. As Icon notes, the Sox expect to have one of the best at every position. But "one of the best" catchers are at a premium, so it makes sense to have at least an acceptable bat and strong glove at the backstop until the Sox can make the right move. if, that is, he hits. (He actually has doubles power, and has a decent slugging percentage when he's not generally in the tank offensively.) The two years before 2008 (when he stunk, though with limited ABs), he did very well.

I think the call for an upgrade at catcher comes from more than the perennial grousers. A recent thread that praised Theo talked about the need to fix the catching situation. If that's a long term fix, fine. But at this point, I think we're fine.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Josh Bard

Except for Irishjesta, this thread has a surprisingly good amount of good responses. Like most of the responses, I don't think Bard is starting material, but in our position, he's a viable option. If this team derails in 2009, it won't be because we have Bard hitting 9th for 120 games in 2009.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jastaleyfromms. Show jastaleyfromms's posts

Josh Bard

[Quote]Go and smoke some more dope Bard as our starting catcher lol What a laugh lol[/Quote]

yeah i know whats even funnier is you as a poster lol thats some funny stuf. Btw folks just want to tell all you who point out bards season last year he hit .202 thats awful you say, but in 57 games ok. Lets look at 07 and 06. 07= .285 in 118 games with 5 homers in 389 at bats. in 06 he hit .278 in 7 games for boston and .338 in 93 games 231 at bats for san diego with 9 hr's in a non hitter park.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

Josh Bard

Didn't Bard play through an injury last year that impacted his bat? I agree with other posters it was a good move to add him and if he can hit .260 or more and we add another catcher to the mix, the position will not be a disaster.