1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fendawg. Show fendawg's posts

Lackey, Hunter "We were the best team"

I just finished reading those quotes in the LA Times. Bitter much?? I suppose it was the Sox fault that the Angels D dropped can of corn fly balls and flubbled routine grounders. So many stupid errors but hey if you want to think your team is better than have at it. Just mean you will go into next years playoffs in complete denial and we'll beat your sorry assess again. Good luck with that bitterness.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsgrl. Show patsgrl's posts

Ahhh. . . true sportsmanship.

If you can't beat 'em bring'em down to your level.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

[Quote]
    Here are Lackey's comments:

"We lost to a team that's not better than us," growled pitcher John Lackey, who gave up two runs and seven hits in seven innings. "We are a better team than they are. The last two days, we shouldn't have given up anything."

It wasn't so much Scioscia's squeeze call and Erick Aybar's missed bunt attempt that irked Lackey after the 100-win Angels, who had the best record in baseball and seemed built for a long October run, lost the series, three games to one.

"That's our style of baseball," Lackey said. "That got us here."

It was being eliminated by Boston for the third time in five years and watching the Red Sox pour out of their dugout to celebrate another walk-off win -- they had one in each of their division series victories over the Angels in 2004, 2007 and 2008.

It was seeing Boston score two runs in the fifth, which included Jacoby Ellsbury's run-scoring groundout and a fly-ball RBI double off the Green Monster in left field by Dustin Pedroia, who broke an 0-for-15 series slump.

"[Sunday] night they scored three runs on a pop fly that was called a hit, which was a joke," Lackey said, referring to Ellsbury's pop that fell between center fielder Torii Hunter and second baseman Howie Kendrick in Game 3.

"[Monday] night they scored on a broken-bat ground ball and a fly ball that anywhere else in America is an out, and he's fist-pumping on second base like he did something great."

Asked to describe his feelings, Lackey said, "Like I want to throw somebody through a wall."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-sp-angels7-2008oct07,0,6242252.story

[/Quote]

Lets see......well I don't know but I have always heard that pitching and defense win ball games. Lackey must not believe in that. The Red Sox, boosted by Lester's incredible two-game dominance against a tough offense, had the edge in both pitching and defense. Youk had several game-saving defensive plays throughout the series (as did others, but the list is too long to go through), while the Angels self imploded on the basebaths and in the field.

Even with the injuries, this Red Sox team is highly versatile and is built for the post season.

With regards to the celebrating, give it a break. I know the Angels didn't have much to cheer about, but when they did do something positive, they were jumping around and pumping fists with the best of them (i.e. Torri Hunter on his RBI single, "K"-Rod). But who cares? It's October baseball and it's nice to see the passion on both sides, unless your name is Lackey, I guess. At the end of the day, Lackey pitched well and kept his team in it, but his sore loser post-game comments make him look like an A** in the end.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from politicod. Show politicod's posts

Too many defensive errors. You can't drop the ball and call yourself a championship team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pamola707. Show Pamola707's posts

i don't necessarily disagree with lackey in that the angels are probably the better team....but the angels didn't score a run off lester in 14 innings...and that pretty much accounted for half of the series...add to that suspect baserunning and defense...he should start looking at his own dugout...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ufcchamp. Show ufcchamp's posts

So the better team lost the series 3-1 and got swept at home???...to heck with wanting the division series to go from 5 to 7 games, maybe in order to give the "better" team enough time to rise to the top they should play a best of 35....he's a bitter punk.....and I don't believe that all ballplayers react like that right after a loss. The classy ones don't say that...it's an insight into a whiney, blame someone else soul.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dpaul3614. Show dpaul3614's posts

[Quote]I saw this too. It made me laugh.

I
    The fact is that we are better--

Lackey < Lester
    Santana< Daisuke
    Saunders << Beckett

We have a better lineup, and at best our bullpens wash.

How are they better again?[/Quote]

Our bullpen is better. Papelbon is clutch while K-Rod has choked when
    it has mattered.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I choose to give John Lackey a break here. I mean, I can totally understand his meltdown into classless vitriol. The poor guy has been completely owned by the Red Sox. I mean, everyone here, no matter what his gaudy record and stats indicate in any given year, we all rub our hands together and smile when the Sox get to go up against him in the playoffs. He pitched a gem in July. But that was July. And I feel bad for him. he pitched really good both games he started in this series. At some point, and especially after this year, in which the Angels whole world was "this is our year!", its got to really get to you mentally. Lackey's a good guy. I think his words are just the sad ramblings of a completely demoralized competitor whose career to this point is basically defined by the Red Sox owning him. Poor John Lackey.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from onebadMF. Show onebadMF's posts

Well the Patriots were the best team in the NFL last season, but it means jack squat since they lost to the Giants. It is hard to hang your hat on the "Best Team" thing if you lose.... No matter how good you are.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from onebadMF. Show onebadMF's posts

And by the way. has there ever been a more passive team that was this good? They swung at nothing. They let so many close pitches go by. I could not believe it. They were even trying to work the pitch count against relievers.

I know that small ball is what they do, but with Tex, Hunter and Vlad on that team they should have been more aggresive. I was surprised that they wanted the walks more than the hits. The most affective way to work the count, IMO, is by fouling off a lot of pitches rather than looking for walks. I was surprised.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from beckettfan. Show beckettfan's posts

This whole thing is funny to me. I live in California and go to many Angel games. The fans are horrible. They spend the whole time talking on their cell phones, reading, working on their computers. They don't even watch the game until the stupid rally monkey is put on the screen by the stadium video guys. I hate California fans. They are only fans if the team is doing well. Now that the Angels are out everyone is suddenly a Dodger fan.

It seems like the players are the same. They are excited if they are winning, but making excuses if they don't. It must be in the air out here. BTW - Lackey lived with a friend of ours when he was in the minor leagues. He was a pretty great guy - I guess things change when you are the ACE of your pitching staff!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Clearly we were better. Remember, great teams aren't always great - they're just great when they HAVE to be!

Angles don't have enough clutch hitting other than Tex and their defense is suspect. Last year the difference between the Indians and the Sox was Josh Beckett. This year the difference between the Angles and the Sox is Lester.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

I love when teams, players or people in general make these comments. The only fact worth stating is that they had the 'best' regular season record. Best team? Come on ..... speculative. They don't award championships based on speculation.....a game is played and the winner becomes the champion, etc. Based on their ungracious comments (some of which I'd bet is out of context) they seem like they have some character issues not conducive to being a champion. Bottom line accountability....they should accept full blame and congratulate the RS, they won, end of story.

It's like the old adage, you can't win an argument with an ignoramous. People in general who make comments like this......yes but so and so is the better team, has the better players, etc., are off point. The point is to win the game....they lost.

Subjective sports (i.e. Figure skating, diving, gymnastics) that combine technical criteria and human judgement on how well the technique is presented can be open to discussion. At the same time, in these sports, the people enter and know full well that these sports .... are what they are.....so they accept it and deal with it as they are what is perceived to be the best way conduct competitions.

In game sports the winner of tha game reaps the benefits and the accolades. To win the the game in most cases, requires one team to execute the fundamentals of the game better than the other. Does this ALWAYS happen .... no. But that's why in most playoffs there is a series.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nickarcese. Show nickarcese's posts

I had the Angels even with us except their defense. Their 2nd baseman should have gotten the lead out last night on the throw from 3rd base and he should have had the force at second on Ellsbury grounder.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nickarcese. Show nickarcese's posts

I had the Angels even with us except their defense. Their 2nd baseman should have gotten the lead out last night on the throw from 3rd base and he should have had the force at second on Ellsbury grounder.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

The better team does not make several base running errors, miss a bunt misplay balls and lose there cool when things dont go there way . . . .say it ain't so John. If you do those things you need to over come them and your team didn't.

The 04 Sox over came, the 08 Angels didn't therefore they were not the better team. Why do people constantly fail to take any accountability?

BTW ~ Hunter gave the Sox props.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

[Quote]Hunter is a malcontented bigot who thinks he's entitled to everything. He blames other people for everything he views as a "problem". Nice to see him bitter and crying like an immature baby, who would have thought he would be angry in defeat. It's not fair, it's not fair.[/Quote]

Torri Hunter is a quality player who plays with passion and confidence. Of the entire Angel's team, he seemed to carry himself like the only one who actually BELIEVED they could win. Many of the others seemed to play tentitively. I don't view him as a malcontent at all. He is super competitive and plays hard all of the time. He owned his mistakes. He spoke of his frustrations in losing, but also tipped his cap to the Red Sox. What's wrong with any of that?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsox310. Show redsox310's posts

HEY FATBOY....GO EAT ANOTHER DONUT AND CRY IN YOUR MILK.......

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

The best teams catch the ball.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmm21. Show gmm21's posts

Does anyone recall the Mariners putting up 116 wins then losing in the 1st round to the Yanks? - that was a Lou Pinella Team, um? and Lou was in charge of the Cubs this year.

You have to prove it in October, regular season W-L record means nothing this time of year!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Lackey is frustrated. I certainly understand why he said what he said. At the same time, to complain about the Fenway dimensions, is really lame. First Pedroia had not had a hit in the series. Second, it was a line drive that would have been a double in any park. So, let me get this straight...Pedroia is not supposed to be pumped up for getting a big hit in a huge game. OK, John, you are in dreamland.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PSFever. Show PSFever's posts

The Angels were the best team on paper and during the regular season but the PS is for the Big Boys. The Angels beat themselves by leaving all those runners on base.

No excuses allowed!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Lackey is a competitor and pitched very well but instead of throwing his offense under the bus he should be giving credit to his opponents ace john lester who was the mvp of this series, if lackey pitched very well, lester pitched amazing. And why is he complaining about jacobys pop fly hit? They actually WON that game.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FATGUY. Show FATGUY's posts

LACKEY SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GET PESKY ANOTHER RING

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from FATGUY. Show FATGUY's posts

SOX STARTING 9 NEXT SEASON

CF-ELLSBURY
    2B-PEDROIA
    DH-ORTIZ
    1B-TEIXEIRA
    3B-YOUKLIS
    LF-BAY
    RF-DREW
    SS-LOWRIE