1. You have chosen to ignore posts from t8tjt. Show t8tjt's posts

Lead down to 4 games

I agree with you Joe, Gagne is not the problem here. This game, and many others since before the All Star Break should have been 6-1 or 7-1. It should not have come down to the wire like this if these guys new the definition of clutch.

Tom

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mglacourse. Show mglacourse's posts

Lead down to 4 games

I agree! Why move away from the tactic that has served you so well all season of Okijima in the 8th and Papelbon in the 9th? The way Delcarmen is pitching, he is ideal for the 7th inning. You are taking all these guys out of their set roles by putting Gagne in the 8th. By the way, Gagne is NOT French for gagging or choking, though the way he is pitching it soon will be. What a horible way to start your Boston "career'. I'd say trade him to the Yankees, only I'm positive he'd turn it around and be good again. Use him as a mop up guy till he shows he's got something - anything left, other than surrendering a lead.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

Lead down to 4 games

I believe the Sox are going to be OK. The bullpen is adjusting tho addition of Gagne, so they're struggling a little bit right now but they'll work the kinks out. i dont believe the numbers they have put up all season is a fluke. I'd have to say the biggest problem for the Sox is that they are leaving too many men on base. Also Manny and Papi arent producing their normal output on offense. Are we seeing the end of a Sox era with these two? I hate to admit it but I think there might be some big changes on the horizon for the Sox.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from t8tjt. Show t8tjt's posts

Lead down to 4 games

Resurrect Billy Martin to light a fire under some guys that are just mailing it in!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctsox44. Show ctsox44's posts

Lead down to 4 games

What we need to do is calm down. The Yanks would not panic with a 4 game lead. We need to rationally look at the real problems and remedy them. Francona is a very, very good coach, respected by every baseball man and player in the league. He had to give Gagne a couple of chances to keep Theo off his back, but now, no one can possibly question his being used in mop up roles. (I''ll throw something at my TV if I see him come in in another tight spot, though). We need to bring up Jacoby as soon as he is healthy, we need youth and a spark, some anti JD Drew attitude and hustle. We need to jettison Wily Mo, he is a horror show in the field and rarely produces at the plate. Forget Jacoby's lack of power -he is the missing element right now. I also think Papi needs several days off, maybe a 15 day DL to get healthy - we need his power, there's a long way to go. At the start of the season, we all would have been happy with a 4 game lead on Aug 12. Any realistic observer of the AL East knew we were not 14 games better than the Yanks. They have a great team, but I still believe we have the better team. We only need to be one game better than the Yanks over 162, we have a great pitching staff that has been temporarily disrupted, and we will hold on to win the division

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Lead down to 4 games

I have to agree - I said it yesterday even though they won. They are leaving way too many men on base. Two out hits have been rare these last couple of months. But I do agree with everyone here, I am not understanding some of Francona's bullpen moves; even in the games that the Sox have won. I think Cashman saved his job by not trading for Gagne, but he still should pay some kind of price for Pavano, Farnsworth and Igawa.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from vincepjk. Show vincepjk's posts

Lead down to 4 games

I know this sounds paranoid (but don't we have reason to be) but do you think the Yanks outsmarted us and put Gagne on their payroll and just loaned him to us. I think he is turning out to be the Yanks best weapon.

Let's face it, it's just about over, we have a bunch of over-priced, old players. Schill can't strike anyone out anymore, Manny and Pape are fading, and look at our Capts stats. Let's all just congratulate the Yankees and look toward next year and hope that Blue Jays don't beat us this year!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from elshaddai. Show elshaddai's posts

Lead down to 4 games

The biggest problems for the Sox are that (1) they are not getting the important hits when they should, (2) they need to get rid of Gagne before he erases all their playoff hopes, and (3) the Yankees are playing crazy baseball right now.

Right now, it looks to me like the Yankees will win the AL East. I'm almost scared to play the Yankees with this Red Sox batting lineup right now. Memories of last year's five game sweep creep into my mind. I just can't help it. I've been a Red Sox fan for way too long. And, with the exception of 2004, we always blow it in the end.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from exhaustedfan. Show exhaustedfan's posts

Lead down to 4 games

I have a tough time jumping on Gagne since its the coaches who keep bringing him in at the wrong time. I for one was excited when he came to the Sox. I absolutely thought they needed a bat but wasn't upset at the time picking up a guy to further help the best bullpen in baseball.

What I have a tough time with is they continue to bring him in at a time when the game is on the line and he hasn't produced yet for us in those situations. Let him sit and watch for now, use him in the RIGHT situations and eventually he'll help.

Overall, Tthe biggest problem this team has is POOR hitting w/men on base. Second is extremely bad baserunning. When this season started, Francona actually bunted players into scoring position. That worked, now he doesn't use it. But the runners being thrown out left and right are inexcusable. Didn't we learn how to run bases in little league?

Don't knock the pitching, thats why the Sox are in 1st place. The hitting is whats going to be their downfall!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cjconnor. Show cjconnor's posts

Lead down to 4 games

GET RID OF THEO. HE HAS MADE SO MANY BAD TRADES, FROM LETTING CAMBERA[SS] WALK AND REPLACED HIM WITH EDGAR AND LUGO. THE PENA TRADE SUCKS. GAGNE DIDN't WANT TO COME TO BOSTON. TRADING AWAY GOOD TALENT TO GET DAVID WELLS. THE ONLY DECENT TRADE HE HAS MADE IS TO GET BECKETT. K. GABBARD AND OF PROSPECT FOR GANGE, AND SO ON AND SO ON. THE BEST GM WE COULD HAVE GOTTEN WENT TO ARIZONA.. ORTIZ IS GETTING OLD, AND MANNY BEING MANNY IS GETTING OLD. WE COULD USE A GOOD BACKUP CATCHER, SINCE TEK IS GETTING USED TO MUCH AND IS GETTING OLD. BUT, WE SENT OUR BACKUP CATCHER TO CLEVELAND. WE SHOULD HAVE KEPT NIXON. REPLACE WAKEFIELD AND TRAVEZ WITH DELCARMAN AND KYLE SYNDER. OR BRING SOME MINOR LEAGUE PITCHERS UP.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from graz. Show graz's posts

Lead down to 4 games

o.k. listen redsox nation. Please! please! please! it's time to be heard again so listen Theo, Tom, Larry, and principle ownner jon henry. I don't have to be professional here and surgar coat this. Terry Francona has a porsche for an engine but a 2 cent head driving this great car. Another way of putting this is you suck! This moron is sinking the ship and has to be losing confidence from players....... I liked the trade for gagne and he was great before..... His short time so far with the redsox is well im lost for words. Bottom line is the sox are losing games they don't show up in box scores. They have been a 5o0 team since June and have become for the most part to passive. Ok terry and company not panicking yet then when is the time. Don't look now but here come the yankees and they are ready to run away with them beating every team they play, we as redsox fans know that the yanks have the 3 game series in their mind later this month. By then they must may be in first pushing the sox way back.....

PATHETIC! WELL L THEY HAVE SO MUCH CONFIDENCE IN GABE KAPLER HAS A FUTURE MANAGE WELL DAM BRING HIM UP NOW. HE CAN'T DO ANY WORSE AND AT LEAST HE WILL BRING FIRE TO THE CLUB. A club 2nc in defense, 1st in pitching, good enough hitting but playing like a bunch of sloppy ------'s

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wnowlan1. Show wnowlan1's posts

Lead down to 4 games

how many games will Francona and Gagne lose for the red sox before they stop using gagne and fire francona. Francona has lost up to half their losses single handedly with his bone head decision pitching changes. The yankees have the sox right where they want them. If they keep it up they will all be watching the playoffs at home. Keep up the good work Kason Gabbard! A very disappointed sox fan. Thank goodness it football season. I give up!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from daenyte. Show daenyte's posts

Lead down to 4 games

Terry Francona. Manny, Ortiz, Drew. How do you pitch GagMe with Timlin in the BP doing much better when the vision in the rear view is anything but pleasant. Where's the run support for our guys who can pitch that start these games? Seems that if you know the manager and the BP are going to conspire to blow a lead, you need to make one big enough to prevent it.

The Yanks are going to repeat 1978.

At least the Dread Sox don't disappoint . . . they are consistent year after year (with one notable exception of course).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffpi. Show jeffpi's posts

Lead down to 4 games

Team couldnt hit but did have a great bullpen. What does Theo the magnificent do he doesnt get a hitter but adds a bullpen pitcher that only makes it more difficult for Fran-coma to make decisions which he isnt good at. duh?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

Lead down to 4 games

IÆd bat Dustin, Yuke, Coco, Drew, Mike, Papi, Julio, Tek/catch and Manny in that order just drive the other teams pitch count soring, and reduce double plays. The pitching is fine, couple blown saves, weÆll get over it. -->-->

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

Lead down to 4 games

Fire the idiot .

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from umustbekidding. Show umustbekidding's posts

Lead down to 4 games

Another great move by your boy-wonder Theo - - - NOOOOOOTTTTTT? He blows dead monkey balls. Yank willwin division again.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rlrphd. Show rlrphd's posts

Lead down to 4 games

Gagne is gangrene! He is clearly

overvalued and overwhelmed!

Okajima should have stayed on in'the 8th, Papelbon in the 9th. Wake up,

Terry! We're trying tom win a pennant. Keeping Eric happy is a

low priority.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lfdal54. Show lfdal54's posts

Lead down to 4 games

Year in and year out, the Red Sox always seem to shove things into neutral in August. Someone needs to expalin it to them that the season actually runs past July.

My reluctant pick? The Yankees, they just plain want it more.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from danpedraza. Show danpedraza's posts

Lead down to 4 games

Holy cow i had heard Boston Red Sox fans were pessimistic but this is nuts... Some of you want Francona Fired the manager that broke the curse and devastated all yankees fans in 2004. Fire Theo? the man who outsmarted everyone on Dice K. Im a yankee fan who thinks the sox will still win the division. But there are some cracks in the foundation. Gagne was a mistake because you already had lights out Oki and Paps.The sox needed Dye or Texiera but of course texiera was too costly. Why Gagne? I think Theo was just trying to keep him away from the yanks. Its not theos fault though that Manny is Being Manny and Big Papi is slowly becoming an easy out. As crazy as it sounds the mistake was 2 years ago when they gave away the best prospects for Beckett. Okay Beckett is a 20 game winner but Hanley Ramirez is a stud and would have been the best SS in the American League. And the pitcher hurled a no hitter. Those youngsters combined with Clay Buckholtz and other top prospects would have solidified the sox for 10-15 years. Now theres an aging Manny and Big papi looks mortal. Meanwhile the yankees turned down Texiera for Chamberlain and Phil Hughes.(Yes that what Texas asked for). I am a lifelong Yankees fan but dont hate the sox like some of my friends. You guys need to calm down and just play day by day. If the sox keep looking in the rearview mirror they are going to crash into that tree in front of them called NY Yankees.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from awall422. Show awall422's posts

Lead down to 4 games

There's a famous term in sports; "addition by subtraction", where a team trades away a star player and then the team chemistry improves and the remaining guys pick up the slack. Well this is a perfect example of "subtraction by addition". Adding Gagne to the bullpen mix was a mistake. Don't tell me it hasn't messed with guys' heads (Gagne's included) having their roles all mixed up. Theo should have filled the more pressing need with Dye and picked up a guy who was used to the set-up role if he was worried about giving guys arms a little rest in the pen. You cannot just hang this on Francona.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from howardfk111. Show howardfk111's posts

Lead down to 4 games

Without Gagne it would have been a sweep this weekend and a 6-3 trip. The lead would still be 6 games. Francona is taking his orders from Theo and using Gagne instead of Okajima. Not only has this cost games but will ruin the rhythm and confidence Okajima has develped. Francona will never stand up to Theo who will never admit he made a BAD trade. Gabbard is going for 6-1 tonight. With Lester struggling and a doubleheadder Friday, looks like Tavares will be back in the rotation. Theo took a team that was being carried by a great bullpen and ruined it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from afesposit. Show afesposit's posts

Lead down to 4 games

"In Theo we trust," no longer. He is to blame for putting together this team w/ absolutely no hitting. $15 mill for Drew & $9 mill for Lugo. The team hasn't hit all season and at the trade deadline he does nothing to add a bat. He then goes out and gets a reliever for the strongest part of the team and the guy is terrible. Oh I forgot, we did just sign Bobby Kielty to a minor league contract. This team is dead and has no emotion. Cowboy up, or the Idiots are done.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from imtim. Show imtim's posts

Lead down to 4 games

Francona needs to learn how to handle his pitchers. Maybe play a little small ball 11 hits only 3 runs ?