1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ross62. Show ross62's posts

Lead down to 4 games

Francona is a player's manager, he always has beenm and that is, as much as any other single factor right now, the team's downfall. 'coma is imperiing the Sox chances because he wants to bolster a new player whose pitching is appalling. This is in itself appalling. The Sox will be in second place before Labor Day. Welcome to another Red Sox collapse.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmoney. Show gmoney's posts

Lead down to 4 games

This team has a fatal flaw and it's been a consistent failure pretty much throughout the lineup with men LOB and to deliver RISP. Tonights game perfect example - should have had a far larger lead than 2 runs in the eigth. Not to absolve Gagne completely but this team has consistenly struggled to deliver offensively in key situations.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dollkuhn. Show dollkuhn's posts

Lead down to 4 games

You want to see pain? Try living in NJ and for once wear a Red Sox shirt in front of your neighbors and friends. I am ready to pull it up over my head in shame. I am dreading when the Yanks finish in first place 5 games ahead. Where did all these dead bats come from????? How can some of these guys call themselves major league players. You have to motivate them to play both good offence and defense while making millions?????? I don't get it. Pay them at the end of the season and see how they need motivation. It will be years before this team can clean house from manager on down. I'm tired of waiting.

Maybe it is time to rethink professional sports.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosox0524. Show bosox0524's posts

Lead down to 4 games

Very very simple, Okajima gets the setup job, not Gagne. He's an allstar and deserves it. He was doing an incredible job! Why would you change it! You dont bring in a man who has let up runs every time he has been in the game except once in two key times in the game! Its just terrible managing. We needed this win, just like we needed the win the night before. Terry is making some really bad calls and it has to be addressed. Gagne can be a Kyle Snyder for the team. He has proven nothing more. He can just eat up innings that dont matter. Until he proves himself otherwise. Id try him in the 7th if Delcarmen needed the rest. But as soon as he walks the leadoff guy or lets up a hit pull him. Lets face it Gagne had no pressure down in Texas and thrived. Up hear it will not be that way. Bring your A game and put it all out on that mound. Welcome to Boston Gagne!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosco406. Show bosco406's posts

Lead down to 4 games

The Red Sox, since last Friday, have suffered two devastating defeats that will endure the balance of the season and give them virtually no chance for post season play. Francona's insistence on bringing in Gagne in key situations is a death sentence. Gagne's career is over and he should be released immediately. I am a die hard Red Sox fan for over 50 years and I have never seen such incompetence in personnel management in all those years. Stick a fork in them; they are done. It's such a shame, as hopes were so high not that long ago. Let Big Papi go through his surgery now so he will be ready for next year. What a waste of a good year with all that potential. See you next spring!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from boston992. Show boston992's posts

Lead down to 4 games

Earth to Yankeesfan23..............You moron, there is still a month and a half left to the season, plenty of time to rest and be ready to hand you your butts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosco406. Show bosco406's posts

Lead down to 4 games

Just like 1978, Sox are done!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from camunoz71. Show camunoz71's posts

Lead down to 4 games

Yes, Gagne has basically lost 2 games for the Red Sox against the O's, but it wasn't him that has dwindled your 14 1/2 game lead down to 4. Manny and Ortiz haven't played like they did last year (especially Ortiz) Last year, it seemed like at every key at bat, he would deliver. Not so this year. If it wasn't for your pitching and for Lowell, Pedroia and Youkilis (especially Youkilis) the Red Sox wouldn't have been in 1st place for pretty much the entire season so far. As a Yankee fan, we've been through this earlier in the season with everyone demanding Torre get fired. It was just hard to comprehend how a team (the Yankees) with that kind of lineup was playing so poorly. But, since the All-Star break they've been a team to be reckoned with. And despite their great play, we're still trying to dig ourselves out of the deep hole we dug. We're still 4 back with a lot of baseball left. I'm glad we're making it interesting. It was looking like you guys were going to run away with it. Every team goes through slumps but I can't see the Red Sox continuing to play like this the rest of the season (I hope they do though!)

I agree with a lot of people here: why disrupt the chemistry in the bullpen by bringing in Gagne? Why not bunt with runners on 1st and 2nd and no outs in game one (I think) against the O's? With 1st base open why not walk Millar to load the bases and try for the double play in today's game? I don't know. I'm just glad that the AL East is getting interesting.

A Yankee fan (an ex-New Yorker who's married to a Red Sox fan from Boston!!) It just proves that love is blind.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigcityrunner. Show bigcityrunner's posts

Lead down to 4 games

another day and more bad francona managing.delcamen strikes out the side and cant pitch a 2nd inning?gagne scrwed up the other what was the point pitching him today?think eric could be tipping his pitchers.i would give bucholtz his shot soon and bring ellsbury up today.lets give gagne a rest okajima has been great all year ,the 8th inning should always be his.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mascmen7. Show mascmen7's posts

Lead down to 4 games

The first Gagne loss in Baltimore upset me so much I had try to lessen the pains by watching videos of July 4 Pops and Mariachi festival in Guadalajara. I am now resigned to the Sox not making playoffs. Left team in God's hands. I no longer care.

Yanks rule with very young players unlike the geriatric, confused, lethargic, slow old men on the Sox. Theo and Francoma rule unto complete destruction of the team. Every game is painful Men left on base, Lugo and Manny getting lost on the bases, errors at critical times, defensive errors galore by throwing to wrong base or missing cut off man, playing too shallow by dreadlocks etc.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gabootwo2006. Show gabootwo2006's posts

Lead down to 4 games

SRMA,

Hey Gabootwo:

You're right about the ALLCAPS. After I wrote that I didn't feel like making the effort to cut and retype it, but it annoyed me too!

My reference to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" was not meant generally, but was specific to the bullpern. I thought that was clear based on my following up that statement with bullpen talk and the Gagne trade. I thought it was a bad idea; I think these guys need to pitch! There's enough of them in the bullpen, ain't there! Good God, it's like if a guy has thrown more than five pitches they call 911 and panic! Let them play! Nothing against Gagne, who unfortunately has not pitched well since arriving here, but I just think you're messing with what has worked so far when you bring a guy like him in here! You think Oki is pleased about being taken out today when all damn year he has been terrific! Terry is too concerned with pleasing Theo, that's what I think. But I realize he wanted to give Gagne a chance to redeem himself, which on a human level I understand and I have to admit like as well. Theo however is too much a numbers guy. Too much computer-oriented.

I will criticize Terry for not being tough enough. The team is sloppy and he allows Manny and others to make too many mental errors when those players should be taken to task!

And I agree with this happy slapstick BS between Manny and Lugo and others. Be men. Don't act like a bunch of sophomoric children. You don't see the Yankees act like that. Torre and Steinbrenner would not allow that BS. Manny, next time you don't run out a grounder or hustle or don't direct the baserunner when you should, you're benched. That's what Terry should say. But, he won't. Therefore, the problem is not Manny; it is Terry. And if Terry is the problem, then that has to be dealt with. But Theo brought him in here, and Terry is going to do what Theo wants. so really Theo is the problem. But Henry ain't going to be rid of Theo. So, we're stuck! NOTHING is going to change, except the Sox and Yanks in the standings, that is.

First off, in theory and in baseball sense, the Gagne trade made a whole lot of sense. Give Papelbon a night off to save his arm when needed and give Okajima, who is in uncharted waters as far as innings pitched, some rest also when needed in the 8th. Hasn't worked and has been a disaster so far. Doesn't mean that Gagne still isn't a very good pitcher, he is. It just means, for whatever reason, he hasn't "been right" since coming to Boston. I say, instead of Gagne in the 7th or 8th, use Delcarmen in that role for a week or so and only bring Gagne in a game when there is a good lead. So I agree with you somewhat, that the Sox should go back to the formula that worked before, until Gagne solves his issues.

As for your criticizing of Francona, you have to remember he is a "Players Manager" and he probabally feels he has to baby a Manny, Lugo and others a bit and allow themselves their freedom of expression..however sophomoric it comes across. I agree with you that he should get on the players more and sit down a Manny for not hustling once in a while to keep the team in line. It is embarrassing when a player doesn't hustle down the line when the ball is hit. As I say to my players, when your up, it is your time in the spotlight to shine and show what you got. No one pays to see you lollygagging and not hustle. As for the standings, I hear footsteps but they haven't passed through the door. Tough part of the schedule for the Yankees is coming up where they have to face Detroit and Anahiem/LA twice and the Red Sox once. Let's see where the footsteps will be after that stretch.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from eddiewilson. Show eddiewilson's posts

Lead down to 4 games

how come when the sox play cleveland they are a great team but when the yankees sweep them, the indians roll over for them?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from marknolan1. Show marknolan1's posts

Lead down to 4 games

The biggest problem now should be obvious: We traded a guy who was 4-0 for Gagne, who up to this point in time has sucked big time for the Sox. Oops...Big mistake, Theo. Sadly we are about to experience another Deja Vu, where the Yankees will take over first place in the East and Sox will need a small miracle to make the playoffs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from marknolan1. Show marknolan1's posts

Lead down to 4 games

Wide awake here Ray, and you only re-enforce what I said about Gagne. I wish Gabbard was still around.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from navyblue. Show navyblue's posts

Lead down to 4 games

Red Sox are doing fine. Tito should stick to his guns and not waste a great pitcher like Gagne.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ippster. Show ippster's posts

Lead down to 4 games

Now can anyone see why the Yankees didn't jump into the mix to try and get Gagne? Who do you think is smarter now, Theo or Cashman?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from edi5386. Show edi5386's posts

Lead down to 4 games

First you guys bring up the yankees easy schedule. And then when they beat Toronto and CLeveland the teams just didn't show up. Please explain to me how teams roll over and die when they play the Yankees. This has become a common theme on this board. I guess teams should just forfiet the games being they aren't into it. I guess Cleveland had no interest in the game. I mean what the heck, their only fighting for first place and the wild card.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from navyblue. Show navyblue's posts

Lead down to 4 games

That ball is high........it is far........it is GAGNE!!!!!!!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from az-yankee-fan. Show az-yankee-fan's posts

Lead down to 4 games

It's called swagger or yankee pride. Now when the yanks show up they expect to win and it just deflates the other team. winning is contagious and the yankees have the worst case i have ever seen and there is no cure in sight.

don't even worry about who shows up, the yankees are just kicking butt and taking no prisoners. all rsn can do now is come up with lame excuses as to why the yanks keep beating up on anyone and everyone.

and to think about it, since the allstar break, the lowest batting average on the yanks belongs to arod at 255. just wait 'til he catches his second wind and puts the team on his shoulders for the stretch run

the SWAGGER is back

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ddn673. Show ddn673's posts

Lead down to 4 games

Sox have only 6 road games left all season with teams with a winning record. A 5-2 homestand will do alot, and then maybe 7 of 10. Yankees cannot keep this pace , 32 -10 !! over their last 42 games. They are 4 up with Manny and Ortiz having sub- par seasons. Stay the course. Sox fan from the Bay Area.............. Go Pats !!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from az-yankee-fan. Show az-yankee-fan's posts

Lead down to 4 games

i don't really care if millar cleared waivers, but it was fun to see him clear the fence against his former team for the walk off win

LOL

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pppp. Show pppp's posts

Lead down to 4 games

OK So we're all managers. I read a comment by Francona in the past 24 hours where he was bemoaning the fact that he faced some fans in the elevator who suggested he should have left Matsuzaka in at least another inning and Francona's response was he couldn't understand why the fan's thought they knew better than he does. He wouldn't walk into the dentist's office and tell him what to do. We all know how long a manager has to be educated to manage, right? As if his dentist analogy had anything to do with anything. Thsi is what I know, working backwards in today's game. I don't care what Millar's statistics were against Gagne if he even has any and I don't care who is up after him The only runner that was important when he came up was the guy on third. If you pitch to Millar, virtually any ball hit except for a pop-up could bring in that runner on third. You have no set up for a double play. You walk Millar and set up the ground ball double play or the force at every base. I can't think of one even feeble reason not to walk him. What in blazes was Francona doing. He has to be a hunch player and he's playing them very poorly now. One more step back. Let me get this straight now. The Yankees are hot as hell and the Red Sox are bleeding. They have the best relief staff in baseball and are leading by two BIG runs and Okajima retires the first batter. And then...and then... wait a second here. He has a pitcher that blew the game the night before in the bullpen, the Yankees have won already, Okajima needs 2 more outs and then Pap comes in in the 9th and Francona is doing WHAT??!! He's doing WHAT??!! Is he running a therapy session here and giving Gagne the opportunity to make up for the night before. We are bleeding to death with the Yankees in overdrive and he's playing child psychologist with our team!!! Gagne will probably turn out all right over the next few months, but he needs some work in non-pressure situations, not when the team is bleeding to death with the Yankee vultures standing over them. What a stupid, stupid move to make. Is there anyone out there that can justify it? Give me one string of logic for not staying with the dates you brought to the dance. Okajima and Papelbon, thank you. At least if they lose it, we know we were fated to lose. Go back to the dentist Francona. You would probably be better at that than you are at this. Stop playing hunches and amateur psychology with our team.--A very, very sad fan in California.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from walterjohnson07. Show walterjohnson07's posts

Lead down to 4 games

I can't get around the fact that the Sox have been basically a .500 team since June. That's a pretty disturbing trend. It's too easy to simply blame Gagne - he's only been here since the trade deadline, although obviously I'm very unhappy with Friday's and Sunday's outcome. Championship teams win when they need to, and that's simply not happening with the Sox.

I'm more troubled by the lack of power and clutch hitting, and I don't think our starting pitching bodes well for playoff match ups beyond Beckett and Dice-K, and Dice-K is a season of experience away from being really dependable. Lester is unproven, although I'd love to see him succeed, and Schill and Wake have been crushed by the Yanks in recent outings. I've been a Schill fan since he was punching out 10+ as a Phillie, but his time has come. I don't buy his "pitching to contact" approach at all, and good hitting teams will continue to rough him up. Wake is simply too much of a crap shoot. Yeah, he can beat the Devil Rays but we need more than that.

Theo should have been more aggressive at the deadline and gotten us a BAT. How good would Mark Teixeira look in a Sox uni? Put him at first, put Youk in right, and sit Judy, who hasn't provided the power we overpaid for. (To paraphrase Bob Ryan during the long contract negotiation, "Stand back, RSN, this is a disaster waiting to happen."). We would have had Tex through 2008. Win NOW...

I think the Yanks will humiliate us again in the next two series, take the division, and probably win the WS. Who's going to stop them? Maybe the Angels. No one in the NL.

There should be a major housecleaning in the offseason: Schill, Wake, Mirabelli, Tavarez, Hinske, Snyder all have to go. Wish we could get rid of Lugo, also. I've never understood or been happy with that signing. Judy we're stuck with forever.

Gotta love Pedroia, Youk, and Lowell. I don't know if Lowell can be re-signed but what a class act. Don't be fooled into thinking A-Rod will come to Boston.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from vixie29. Show vixie29's posts

Lead down to 4 games

It's simple there are a lot of players that are great playing for different teams where the pressure is not intense, but when they come into the Yankee/Red Sox environment they are not ready for it. For many years the Yankees had this problem and it did not affect the Sox, but now after they won the WS 2004 their expectations are that only. It's not the players, Gagne was a great closer and still can be, it is the fact he was not use to the intense pressure. Welcome to our world Red Sox fans.

Go Yankees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Lead down to 4 games

RSN - don't worry about a thing. Steve Philips of ESPN declared the Sox will win the division and the Mariners will take the Wild Card. We all know he is a genius; just look what he did for the Mets after their 2000 World Series appearance. He dogged it on the A-Rod negotiations and decided that Mo Vaughn was the key piece to not only win a World Championship, but to remove the Yanks from the NY headlines. He lost his job and not one team has come knocking on his door since. He has hated the Yankees all these years and I am not surprised that he cannot be onjective. The W.C. is coming out of the East, end of conversation.