1. You have chosen to ignore posts from palmbeachpatsfan. Show palmbeachpatsfan's posts

Lead down to 4 games

Biggest Red Sox problem? Inability to do virtually ANYTHING from the plate with runners in scoring position. Orioles series - what were they - 6 or 7 for 30something? (please correct me, if........) How many times did they have opportunities to break all 3 games wide open, both early and late? Also, Ortiz should be spelled the entire Tampa series (except for late pinch hitting, etc.). He is hurt, and pressing bigtime. As Bob Ryan calls him, 'Mr. Warning Track' just does NOT have it right now.

I, like everyone of us, has lived through it all (I started it in 1962, when I was 7). Yesterday I turned to my girlfriend on the couch, and when Gagne came in I said to her that this was going to be a carbon copy of Friday Night. Home run - tied 8th inning, Boston loss in either 9th or 10th................

Finally, I will admit that this is like all the other years; August collapse, September destruction, Red Sox finish 2nd behind Crankees, somewhere around 7 - 10 games back................................

Sorry, but this is the Boston Red Sox.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from palmbeachpatsfan. Show palmbeachpatsfan's posts

Lead down to 4 games

classic!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from palmbeachpatsfan. Show palmbeachpatsfan's posts

Lead down to 4 games

good point.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gfja1com. Show gfja1com's posts

Lead down to 4 games

I totally agree with you on the bullpen situation. The reason that the sox have been so careful with Papelbon this season was to save him for when it counts. Guess what? It is already the time when it counts! You don't rest players for the playoffs until you KNOW that you are in the playoffs Anyone remember the sweep by the Indians in the first round, after the sox had rested players way too long at the end of the season? They had rested so long that they went stale!

Gagne isn't injured; his velocity is still fine, but it appears that his confidence is shaken and his location plainly isn't there. Francona needs to let him pitch in a few "no pressure situations" to build his confidence back, but the team needs to suck it up a little and start providing the pitching staff with some decent leads. The sox should go back to Okajima in the eigth and Paps in the ninth, and use Delcarmen as the bridge if tied after eight innings.

Maybe the sox should consider switching Manny and Ortiz...Anyone know how many double plays Manny has grounded into this year to kill a rally? Especially by swinging at the first pitch instead of showing patience at the plate and waiting for a pitch to drive?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosox1489. Show bosox1489's posts

Lead down to 4 games

I totaly agree. They should have fired him long ago.

I have to say I don't totally agree with you. I never thought the Red Sox should have hired him in the first place. FranComa didn't get the nickname here in Boston, he got it in Philly. where he was a below .500 manager. and never had a winning season.

1997 NL East Phildlpa 38 162 68 94 .420 5
    1998 NL East Phildlpa 39 162 75 87 .463 3
    1999 NL East Phildlpa 40 162 77 85 .475 3
    2000 NL East Phildlpa 41 162 65 97 .401 5

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosox1489. Show bosox1489's posts

Lead down to 4 games

Gabbard out in 1st with injury tonight!!! Didnt the Sox know of past problems with his shoulder??? This might end up being an even trade after all for injured Gagne!!! Yes, I beleive Gagne is cleary hiding something knowing he needs to only make it two more months for a big payday!!!

The only way Gagne' gets the big pay day is if he pitches big in Boston..

Just for the record he wasn't lighting it up before he got here ...

10 Game Log
    DATEOPPRESULTIPHRERHRBBSOGBTBF#PitHBPDec.Rel.ERA
    8/12@BalL 3-60.211110113140--BlSv3.62
    8/10@BalL 5-60.134401015160----3.44
    8/8@LAAW 9-61.010001105240--H2.48
    8/4@SeaW 4-31.031100126240--H2.55
    8/2BalW 7-41.021100205160----2.36
    Previously with TEX, Acquired by BOS
    7/24SeaW 4-31.010000124120--Sv(16)2.16
    7/24SeaW 2-11.010000214170--Sv(15)2.23
    7/23SeaW 8-71.043310026250----2.30
    7/21CleW 8-51.011101125250----1.48
    7/16@OakW 4-11.010000104230--Sv(14)1.23

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosox1489. Show bosox1489's posts

Lead down to 4 games

The problem is August. Outlaw the month and the Sox will make it to the postseason far more often than they do. On second thought, perhaps September should go, as well.

Sorry outside of 2006, this isn't actually ture, you might want to look this up fact up... here are the last 5 year... we all know what happen in 06...

2005:

August (27)1890.667
    September (29)17120.586

2004:

August (28)2170.750
    September (28)18100.643

2003:

August (29)15140.517
    September (26)1790.654

2002: (Bad June that year also 10-16)

August (27)12150.444
    September (29)18110.621

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from antares8. Show antares8's posts

Lead down to 4 games

It was clear that we needed a bat - someone who could play outfield, so we got ourselves another pitcher... ok, where's the logic in that move? I agree with one of the respondees - go with Okajima in the 8th and Papelbon in the ninth. Why change what worked? Bring Yaz on board as an assistant hitting coach.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Lead down to 4 games

The Francona/Gagne duo will prove deadly for my beloved Sox. Francona will keep disrespecting Oki by throwing Gagne out there in Oki's spot in the 8th to blow games, just to try to build Gagne's confidence or to get him going. It doesn't matter that games will be lost because of this.

Theo didn't get the bat we needed in Dye (Ortiz' injury, lack of power and clutch hitting made a bat NECESSARY) and instead brought in the choke artist Gagne, WHICH WE DIDN'T NEED.

I don't mind that Theo got Gagne to keep him from the Yankees, so long as he got the bat we needed as well. BUT HE DIDN'T!

So long as Francona keeps managing to massage egos instead of to win, the Sox are in BIG TROUBLE!

Get rid of Francona and Gagne!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosismooses. Show mosismooses's posts

Lead down to 4 games

Bad news.... AL teams have enough stats & video on OKI by now, and he looks extremely hittable right now. They are predicting his pitches big time.

Same as every year, the AL East title comes down to the final series vs NYY. Couldn't ask for more...IMHO.

Mosi Tatupu

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from palmbeachpatsfan. Show palmbeachpatsfan's posts

Lead down to 4 games

hold that thought until 09/30 when the crankees end up 7-10 games ahead and in the playoffs

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwabbie. Show schwabbie's posts

Lead down to 4 games

Personally, I'm a Tito fan. He maintains a calm demeanor and is the right guy to weather this storm - if it's going to be weathered. Look at Joe Torre over the last 11 years. He doesn't panic.

Is Tito flawless? No way. But changing managers is not the answer.

I was surprised he didn't walk a batter in the 10th with 1st base open, yes.

And take off the kid gloves when it comes to Papelbon. I know the staff has a plan to keep him healthy & fresh, but wasn't the plan to have him good for the stretch run??? IT IS THE STRETCH RUN. The Yankees had a 2-run lead with 1out in the 8th, tying run at the plate yesterday: in comes Mariano, and 5 outs later they win. Sox had the same exact scenario, and well... Francona was the guy last year who made the statement that sometimes the most important out comes in the 8th inning, not the 9th. I know Papelbon blew up last year, but seems to me the staff has over-compensated.

And as for Papi - love him. He's struggling obviously with the knees especially. No power. But ya gotta live with what he can give you at this point. It's unrealistic to think we're getting a big bat.

Baseball always reveals a team for what they are - and the Sox are a team with strong starting pitching, average fundamentals, poor clutch hitting (I think we're 1-40 when trailing after 8) & right now an unpredictable bullpen. That's what they will be for the next 45 games. Time will tell if it's enough.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosox1489. Show bosox1489's posts

Lead down to 4 games

I was surprised he didn't walk a batter in the 10th with 1st base open, yes.

My Question is would Torre have walk a batter in the 10th inning of yesterday game?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mspath. Show mspath's posts

Lead down to 4 games

The first thing that needs to happen is that Tito needs to stop messing with the lineup and recognize that Youk is the #2 hitter from here on out.

This little slide is starting to show how bad of an in-game manager Tito really is. It may be time for him to go!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwabbie. Show schwabbie's posts

Lead down to 4 games

It's situational, no? If Mariano's on the mound in the same situation, probably not. If Snyder is pitching for the Yankees in that situation, probably yes.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from psatbc. Show psatbc's posts

Lead down to 4 games

I'm interested in reading how this discussion plays out but I have a few points to bring up.

First, I'm sick of people talking bad about Wakefield. He has 13 friggin wins!! So does $103 Million Dollar Man Matsuzaka. Wake is on track to beat his career high in wins and you're going to complain about him? He's a knuckleballer, and he's always gone through little phases. Get over it.

Second, not many people have mentioned that Mike Timlin is pitching like his old self again. Why are we not seeing more of him in tight situations? Instead of overusing Oki (which I think is being done), throw Timlin in in the 8th like the old days and save Paps for the 9th. Or even use Timlin in the 9th to rest Paps, I don't care and he doesn't care! I think he's being underutilized. Delcarmen seems to be back on track again, so maybe it's time to say adios to Snyder and bring Lopez back now that Tavarez is back in the pen as a long reliever. Unless Lester craps the bed again, then it might be time for Julian to start a few games depending on how Bucholz works out.

Finally, I know it's been brought up in the past, but everone seems to be blaming everything on Tito. Tito is not the only person responsible for player development. I think John Farrell is doing a nice job with the pitchers, but I think Magadan is failing miserably. I'd understand if the new players (Drew, Lugo, etc.) were struggling with the first season in Boston, but when seasoned hitters like Papi and Manny are sucking, there is a problem somewhere. Even Mr. RBI Lowell seems to be cooling off.

End of rant. Go Sox! We're far from dead yet.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from psatbc. Show psatbc's posts

Lead down to 4 games

Oh I don't know...maybe the fact that he was leading the team in RBIs for basically the whole season and now has just one less than Manny. He will have a 100+ RBI season this year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ulto2001. Show ulto2001's posts

Lead down to 4 games

I have been worried about the Yankees for 3 or so weeks now. Why did the pundits count them out?

Could not figure out why the pundits loved the Gagne deal . . . . renting a bullpen pitcher in exchange for three prospects. Gabbard was really looking good. Would he have done some bullpen work this season if he was promised a chance to start next? Schilling is going to be gone soon . . .and it may be next year. Is Lester the answer . . .not sold. Was not sold on Gabbard either.

I am willing to give Gagne a few more outings to right the ship. There is alot of pressure here in Boston to perform. Hell the guy just got here and is still settling in. No reason to panic yet . . .

And boy we need a spark. Someone needs to step up. Add that spark. The team is rather lifeless. Been playing team sports for years and I don't see this team rallying like the 2004 team did. Who that is . .well that is for the management to decide

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from graz. Show graz's posts

Lead down to 4 games

willy you 100% correct! this guy franchocker is horrible in all aspects of managing this team... he is poison.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from vixie29. Show vixie29's posts

Lead down to 4 games

The reason you picked up Gagne wasn't so much you needed him, boy wonder was clearly trying to avoid the Yankees from getting him. He was thinking that was the Yankees weakness. He should have concern himself with his team first and worry about others later.

Also, Boston having won a WS now responds to win it all or nothing as the Yankees have been for several years. They can't take players who have never had that kind of pressure on them late in their careers. Gagne is good but until he can adjust to the pressure of win it all or nothing he will be a bust. Welcome to the Yankees world, not only do you spend like they spend (in the area) but you've managed to make yourselves a pressure cooker to play in.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from vixie29. Show vixie29's posts

Lead down to 4 games

Sorry, I read in one of the New York papers that Texas told Cashman to get Gagne they would have to give up Ian Kennedy and Melky or they would trade Gagne to Boston. Well, I guess Cash told them where to go! Oh yes, they were interested for the right price.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ktlsull. Show ktlsull's posts

Lead down to 4 games

Well first, let's remember it's time for the Spankees to go and play on the road against over .500 teams. They have had it easy while the Sox have played the likes of Anaheim, Seattle, Chicago and Baltimore. I think we'll see the explosion of hits from NY come to a screaching halt, it can't last forever. Their pitching staff still has it's woes and if not for run support they certainly would not be where they are. All Good Things Must Come To an End!!!

With Regards to Gagne, I suspect you won't be be seeing him on this homestand, unless of course Tito has other job opportunities. I knew from the time Gagne was warming up yesterday that the Bosox were going to lose, it was inevitable. Let us not forget also that the Orioles didn't win these two games, the Sox handed it to them. We would be at 6 games ahead of NY if it were not for Gagne blowing the games he was in. With an ERA of 15.00 I think a stint in Pawtucket to re-hab this hip of his might not be a bad thing! But no matter what the decision, the o-brainer is for him to sit until the Sox can regain some ground.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1243345. Show user_1243345's posts

Lead down to 4 games

I'm worried about Big Papi, who has become Lil' Papi. No power. He has gone downhill quickly. The Baltimore play-by-play radio men remarked Sarturday that he does not look like the same guy when he swings. .

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from egghead71. Show egghead71's posts

Lead down to 4 games

Yes, 2004 was luck. 8 good games in a row, congratulations. What have the Red Sox won since then??? You had a lock on the division for the first time in 10 years, but here come the footsteps.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ktlsull. Show ktlsull's posts

Lead down to 4 games

As Emack said Gagne should not be out in the game during crucial situations, something is not right with him. When you have Papelbon and Okijima as a one-two punch these are the two guys that in a situation like yesterday, with the Yanks closing in that is the way to close out a game.

The Yankees however are now on the road playing the same teams the Sox did, now let us see how good they really are, can their staff hold up to the small ball ,hard hitting Angels. How will they like the Tigers in three games when Detroit is as tough an opponent as you can get. The Sox are in for a lax schedule and it couldn't have come at a better time.

As far as who will win the division, Boston is still the top of the league now and barring injury will win the division!