1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jadelson. Show jadelson's posts

Lester called up!

I think you're missing the point. When a "prospect" comes up to the major leagues and pitches like Gabbard has over the last month or so, he's no longer just a prospect. Prospects are total unknowns. While I would never argue that Gabbard has proven himself, he now has some sort of track record. That elevates his value way over just another "B" prospect. Obviously, the RS have to evaluate his trade value, but based on the fact he's been getting major league hitters out, you can't just fall back on the "B" prospect cliche. I heard Dennis Eckersley say he thinks Gabbard has better stuff than Mark Buehrle. Good lefties are hard to find. I'd hate to trade this guy only to see him become a 15 game winner for someone else. The RS have fallen into this trap so many times, thinking they had pitching to spare. Need I remind you about Wily Mo?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yankee-diva. Show yankee-diva's posts

Lester called up!

Good Luck Lester !! I know not only sox fans will be rooting for you but all fans of baseball!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yazfan64. Show yazfan64's posts

Lester called up!

this is the most emotional start of his career no question. Look for his teammates to pick him up!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwaymark. Show fenwaymark's posts

Lester called up!

I like the symmetry of the rotation: Two righties, a knuckler and two lefties.

I also like the Sox sending Pinerio packing. It just took much longer than it should have.

When Schill returns to the hill I suspect Gabbard will move to the pen, but much depends on the effectiveness of Lester. Gabbard has been great at keeping the count in his favour and keeping the ball low when runners are on to induce doubleplays.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yazfan64. Show yazfan64's posts

Lester called up!

Amen, Wake has been there for a long time but it sure would be nice to have a stud young catcher instead of carrying mirabelli. if he goes to the pen it would force a double switch when ever he came in or risk a passed ball by tek. We need our young pitchers in the rotation with schill,beckett ,dk.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobtich. Show bobtich's posts

Lester called up!

When I saw Lester pitch a couple of weeks ago here in Rochester I personally proclaimed him ready after a low hit 1 run seven inning stint. He has been pitching for a team inexplicably in 4th place in the division and I'm afraid not to a major league(yet) catcher in Kotaris(sp?). Getting him up here with "tek and a major league pitching coach can only help him keep consistent. Tavares is a 3-4 inning pitcher right now. he did his best and owes the fans and team nothing . Worry about the rotation when and if Schilling comes back. I like the young staff the Sox have.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeyama99. Show joeyama99's posts

Lester called up!

Gabbard is a better pitcher than Lester. It's that simple. Minor leagues, major leagues, whatever. Lester won some games before his illness, but never showed 1/2 of what Gabbard has shown.

It aint that simple. If you're judging by the last 4 starts then sure, Gabbard has been better. That's simple. It's also an awful small sample size that's unreliable to accurately assess a pitcher. Tavarez was very good for 4-5 starts too.

If you look at their minor league careers Lester has shown he's the better pitcher. Check out his 2005 stats: 148 ip 2.61 ERA 163K/57 BB. Cancer has obviously delayed his development, and it's still a question as to whether he'll ever return to the level he showed previously. Gabbard, who is 2 years older, has shown improved command and poise and could develop into a reliable starter. But Lester is still the better pitcher long-term I believe

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeyama99. Show joeyama99's posts

Lester called up!

I think you're missing the point. When a "prospect" comes up to the major leagues and pitches like Gabbard has over the last month or so, he's no longer just a prospect.

Actually, a player is still considered a prospect until he loses his rookie status. Gabbard is still considered a rookie I believe, while Lester lost his rooke status last year. If Gabbard continues to pitch as he has, he'll raise his stock as a young pitcher in the major leagues, but not as a prospect because he'll soon lose that status. The top prospects are well known throughout baseball, and Gabbard was not one of them. It's not cliche to refer to him as a former 'B' prospect or marginal prospect, because that's a fact.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aarons333. Show aarons333's posts

Lester called up!

I think what is going to happen is unless Lester pitches a no hitter, he will be sent down when Schill gets back, and Gabbard is #5.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wilky. Show wilky's posts

Lester called up!

Good time to bring lester back. With a 7 game lead in the division, now is the time to see if he has recovered enough to help the team down the stretch. If he doesn't seem to be ready, the Sox can make a move at the deadline, of try some of the other guys with the Paw Sox. Better to know now, rather than later whether he will be effective or not. Good move by the team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Lester called up!

Obviously only time will tell. It's a great "argument" to have, though. No one is rooting harder for Lester, tonight, than I am.

I base my opinion on what I have seen from Gabbard this year, and from I remember of Lester's starts last year. I realize his 4.76 ERA was no doubt inflated because of the on-coming cancer; however, I am pretty sure I saw all of his starts in 2006, and felt that his command was what you see in a lot of rookies. Shaky. He'll probably be better, now, in that respect, whcih means his over-all improvement will continue.

They both belong with the Sox and, hopefully, in the rotation. Every other major league manager would love to have this decision!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from thopjen77. Show thopjen77's posts

Lester called up!

Welcome Back Jon Lester,

I think that Gabbard will become a bullpen guy who can be the spot starter after Schilling returns.

Next season may see a rotation of Beckett,Dice K,Lester,Gabbard and Wake and the money saved on letting Schilling go would go towards acquiring a top notch free agent.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jocon12367. Show jocon12367's posts

Lester called up!

talk trades tomorrow if you want but tonight is a night to be thankful for the cancer research that's been done over the years. Imagine, someone is diagnosed w/ Lymphoma and is pitching the majors less than a year later.

Congratulations to you Jon Lester and many happy returns.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1222326. Show user_1222326's posts

Lester called up!

you are putting lester ahead of wakefield?? the guy hasnt even thrown a pitch yet!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtssoxsuconn. Show celtssoxsuconn's posts

Lester called up!

A lot of talk here of trying to trade Lester and/or Gabbard. Theo has been adament about holding on to the young talent, espically Lester. I think keeping these two is essential. WIth Schill and Wake running out gas. A 2008 or 2009 rotation of:

Beckett

Dice K

Lester

Gabbard

Bucholz

Is a young, potentially dominate staff, in the mold of the early 90's Braves pitching staff, i.e. Smoltz, Glavine, Avery and Maddux, that shouldn't be messed with for a short term fix. Premier pitching is invaluabe now adays Theo needs to keep this nucleaus in tact.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hollywood. Show hollywood's posts

Lester called up!

uconn, i like your thinking. theo has to look ahead as well as at this season. we dont have to decide on lester or gabbard until shilling comes back...which will give us some real facts to make to make a decision with.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Lester called up!

An obvious consideration (and possible solution) that will get no where with Francona & Co. "Breaks with tradition", "too risky in the middle of a pennant race", etc.

Beckett and Schilling probably would not be in favor of it, but it would probably help Schilling in the long run.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Lester called up!

You make an excellent point. Cleveland might have the best offense in the American League. If not Cleveland than Detroit . The "Devil Dogs" offense is actually pretty good too but they certainly can't hit with the Indians

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Lester called up!

Easy big fella, calm down. Slowly walk away from any sharp objects....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Lester called up!

Are you delusional? Wakefield has been much more good than bad and is 11 and 9 this year. That is only 2 games worse than Daisake and each of them has been hurt by a lack of run support at times. Wakefield is also is the third winningest pitcher in Sox history not something you can just casually dismiss. With all due respect to Gabbard and Lester, Wakefield's experience is several notches above either of those 2. Granted they both look to be the real deal and having 2 potentially excellent young lefties, to stuff The Yankees in their home park, is an exciting prospect. But both have pitched in less than 20 big league games between them. Let's not go annointing them the next Koufax and Steve Carltons of the world. The Mirabelli part I completely agre with and he may have cost Wakefield 1 or 2 wins with his lack off offense.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

Lester called up!

LVBOB, as someone who has never had to face cancer in myself, I'm sure that I CANNOT appreciate what you and Jon Lester are going through. Cancer survivers speak of "remission" or periods of time being "cancer free". It is a happy but rare day when I hear one speaks of himself as "cured".

Lester's courage (and yours) is what you do in the face of knowledge that you have a disease with some propbability of returning in a more deadly form (on avereage, cancer currently does so in almost half the cases). Those who damn the torpedoes, laugh at the odds and work their butts of to be the best they can are worthy of the higest admiration.

Here's to you, Jon Lester. Could all be over tomorrow or you could pitch for another 20 years, but for one night you were the best. And may good fortune smile down as well on you as well, LVBOB.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Lester called up!

It is clear you don't like the guy, but if you look at the vast majority of ML pitchers, you will find that parts of the season are impressive statistically and others are not very. The Hall of famers included. What is most important is what he does over an entire season and he has proven that year after year. Sure he has had some seasons in which his Won Lost record has not been great, but again over the long haul he is a career winner who typically gets you into the seventh and I personally feel that is worth a great deal even if you obviously don't. BTW, he is 4 and 2 since June 23rd, a stretch in which the team is sub 500. I think that is more meaningful than a high ERA.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Lester called up!

"Are you really Wakefield posting on this board?"

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't this post start with you trashing a future Red Sox HOFamer? I thought so.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Lester called up!

Thanks for actually reading what I wrote. Why this other person is so anti Wakefield is beyond me. He is clearly one of the best 4th starters in the game and is so year after year. And anyway this is supposed to be about JOHN LESTER not Tim Wakefield! I felt the need to defend Wakefield and continued to respond to the emails trashing him I am done with that now.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Lester called up!

I agree completely, what Lester has been thorough no one, least of all a 23 year old, should have to go through. May his career be long and successful whether here or elsewhere!