1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

Lugo sharp, Likely Starter

I think you overestimate his popularity. I am rooting for him though, just like any Red Sox player.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from czap. Show czap's posts

Softhead, Are you really that stupid? When have you ever heard a Redsox fan say "Lugo is my favorite sox player". The only reason he is on the team is because of his contract. Surely you know that. If he wins the job it will be short lived. Lugo jerseys are hot. Get yours today.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpanther98. Show bigpanther98's posts

One of the most loathed Boston players ever? Don't you think that is a bit excessive. There are some people on this board that do despise him, but they don't represent most Sox fans. Look around, and most fans will say they are disappointed in him, especially considering how much he makes. Will they say they loathe him? No, definitely not. I would say that some of the more hated players, at least recently, would be Byun-Yun Kim (remember the big middle finger to the Sox crowd? Yeah, that will endear you to fans), Carl Everett (despite his offensive prowess, if I remember correctly, most fans were happy to see that guy leave. Total jerk all of the time), and Johnny Damon. Damon is loathed simply because he left for the Evil Empire due to more money. He probably doesn't deserve that kind of ire, but there's something about being a Yankee that pisses people off. Heck, people are already starting to look harshly at ManRam, despite his HOF numbers. Yet again, there's something about acting like an idiot in left field, loafing on ground balls, and acting like a petulent baby that pisses fans off. "Boo hoo, this team gave me $160 million, but I'm not happy. I don't like it here trade me, trade me, or I'll sit out, I'll get into fights with Youkilis when he yells at me for playing half-a#$% while everyone else is playing their guts out (only speculating there)."
    So, to make a long story short, Lugo is not one of the more loathed players in history. He plays hard every day despite his faults and is a great teammate. Unfortunately, I doubt many in the future will even remember him.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from czap. Show czap's posts

More disappointrd that you are still posting the same garbage. If you dont see the talent in Ells and Lowrie then you have a problem. The fact that you dont watch games is no excuse for your stupidity. Coco is gone and Lugo will be next. You better prepare for new material fool.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from billy13. Show billy13's posts

Lugo is going to get some heavy at bats early this season. The sox have to know what he is going to give them. I like the strategy. I like Lowrie in the backup role for the season. He can also do some platoon with Lugo, as he is a switch hitter. Lets hope Lugo has a really good season. He is one of the most despised players. Julio F-ing Lugo.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan84. Show redsoxfan84's posts

All I know is I am rooting for Lugo to be the player he was in TB...and with a gold glover at 1st base his errors hopefully will be at a manageable level.

It would be a cool comeback story if he could live up to his potential.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't get your constant fixation on Lugo.

You have made your point a thousand times.

There are 24 other guys on the team you barely mention.

People ridiculed me for talking about Manny too much, at least he is good.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

AS MY DAD WOULD SAY..... "SON, HERE TODAY, GONE TOMORROW" !!! LUGO , REALLY IS NOT IN OUR PLANS !!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[Quote]More disappointrd that you are still posting the same garbage. If you dont see the talent in Ells and Lowrie then you have a problem. The fact that you dont watch games is no excuse for your stupidity. Coco is gone and Lugo will be next. You better prepare for new material fool.[/Quote]

Do you watch the games? I mean really watch?

If you did, you'd have noticed Ellsbury's .336 OB% and PO slump that led to him being replaced by what some feel was the worst hitting Sox CF'er of all time. Yes he has speed and potential, but his "talent" is yet to be preoven.

If you did, you notice Lowrie has an extremely limted range for a ML SS. True he made no errors at SS, but if he doesn't get to 80-120 balls a year that average or better range SS's get to, then it is an illusion. He hit well to start, and shows potentail also, but he slumped late in the season (.213 in Sept and .207 in POs)

If you did, you'd see both are big question marks, and having "talent" does not always mean you will become a good player. 3 words:

Willie Mo Pena

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[Quote] AS MY DAD WOULD SAY..... "SON, HERE TODAY, GONE TOMORROW" !!! LUGO , REALLY IS NOT IN OUR PLANS !!![/Quote]

The thing is, he IS in our plans, because he has to be. Nobody else is picking up his contract and he's got two more years. So, like it or not, he is in the Sox plans. Heres hoping he returns to the vague Tampa Bay Lugo form.

As far as jed goes, he may not be the next Nomar, but, if Lugo is improved enough to be a reliable #9 hitter and less-error-prone SS, I really really like the thought of Lowrie in the utility role. He plays a nails 3B to go with his SS and hits decent. Thats a weapon we need and haven;t had (I love Cora, but seriously).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waltham781. Show Waltham781's posts

I gotta think the job is Lugos to lose...Lowrie would be the better utility guy...some 1B, 2B, SS, 3B....he can spell Lowell some early on...

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carolina-soxfan. Show carolina-soxfan's posts

I hope Lugo has at least a halfway decent year in '09. In his career with the Red Sox he has made me nervous with his play at shortstop and can be as automatic an out as Varitek was last year. Also, it pisses me off whenever he very obviously strikes out and then complains unmercifully to the ump. That's my beef with him. That said, I hope he plays well this year because I don't know if Jed's the answer either.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[Quote]

The thing is, he IS in our plans, because he has to be. Nobody else is picking up his contract and he's got two more years. So, like it or not, he is in the Sox plans. Heres hoping he returns to the vague Tampa Bay Lugo form.

As far as jed goes, he may not be the next Nomar, but, if Lugo is improved enough to be a reliable #9 hitter and less-error-prone SS, I really really like the thought of Lowrie in the utility role. He plays a nails 3B to go with his SS and hits decent. Thats a weapon we need and haven;t had (I love Cora, but seriously).[/Quote]

Hey, c'mon Spaceman, stop stealing my thunder. You took the words out of my mouth. With Cora gone, Jed would fill the utility role nicely. I was a Cora fan too.

What are you trying to do, using sound reasoning in a thread that has everyone blathering about who's better than who. It should be about what is best for the team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DWIGHTRIGHT. Show DWIGHTRIGHT's posts

[Quote]I don't get your constant fixation on Lugo.

You have made your point a thousand times.

There are 24 other guys on the team you barely mention.

People ridiculed me for talking about Manny too much, at least he is good.

[/Quote]

yeah, GOOD and GONE!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[Quote]People ridiculed me for talking about Manny too much, at least he is good.

Nothing good about a union slug who stands there like a pidgeon for three straight called strikes. Lugo is a constant whipping post, was signed with totally unremarkable career hitting averages, yet we have idiots claiming he's this overpaid bust who was supposed to do more than put up near career highs in RBI's and SB's and career lows in BA and OBP, in the one full season he's been here. As I correctly did on the Jake hype in the spring, though I've never liked Lugo, I will combat the spoiled childish propaganda that is spewed towards Lugo. He's near the near the end of his career, he was a FA gamble cost wise by Theo looking for career highs, he is a better athlete with more proven potential than Jed, and he'll be gone soon enough as he gets closer to the final year of his fat union contract. However, blame it on Lugo was a total joke, is a total joke, and is as big a joke as the slobbering "next Ted Williams" fans are. Then, announcing that Lugo will be gone and is not in the plans is NS Sherlock, but he's in the plans for most or all of this season. Further, one clueless poster is slobbering about "the talent" when referring to "the stork", Jed Lowrie.

Just as most were wrong about Tex's destination, the perception of Lugo isn't even close to reality.

Let's look at reality:

Had 73 RBI and 33 stolen bases, the 2nd highest totals of his career in both categories...Also had 36 doubles, tied for 2nd most in his career...Tied for 3rd among A.L. shortstops in doubles and tied for 5th in RBI...Struggled offensively for much of the first half, batting just .197 (59-for-299) in 80 games before the All-Star break, but rebounded to hit .280 (76-for- 271) in 67 games after the break...Played exclusively at shortstop, starting 139 games at that position, after appearing at 4 different positions for the Devil Rays and Dodgers in 2006...
    CHECKING THE LEADERBOARD: Ranked among American League leaders in 2007 in infield hits (T3rd, 27), bunt hits (4th, 9), stolen bases (T6th, 33) and sacrifice bunts (T9th, 8).
    Had career lows in BA and OBP in 2007.

Came with a career history of a plus 20 errors guy for 4 out of 7 prior seasons.

Had near career high in OBP in partial 2008 season.

Was on pace to career high in errors in 2008.

Has outstanding range for SS.

Folks, that's the reality on Lugo, and absolutely nothing in his median career averages that indicated he would be anything more or less than what he has been. He's been here one full season, one half season, and has 2 years left on his fat union contract. Nothing else to say, other than Lugo as a scapegoat is laughable.

This isn't fantasy baseball, where you have a star at every position. Yes, Theo's gamble hasn't paid dividends and is a capital loss, on paper, but Lugo was good enough for the title team. It's a team game, and the reality on Lugo isn't as this horrific bust that no one saw coming.[/Quote]

I never expected more from Lugo than what he has given us. I knew he was an awful fielder, and an avg to poor hitter. that still doen't mean he isn't a bust. Theo overpaid him, he sucks, he's a bust. period. you talk about people whuipping up on Lugo, and yet you are Manny's #1 whipping boy. By the way, Lugo signed a union contract same as Manny, and he has not earned it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So sad that you judge Manny on one AB, but fail to judge Lugo on 2 years worth of near worthlessness. You cite bunt hits and infield hits, like that is going to make me think better of him? God, man...those stats make his already horrible hitting stats look even worse!

Why not compare his hits per union contarct dollar with other SS's and then tell me he is not a bust. Compare his errors per chance with other SS's. The SS position is by far the most important fielding position in all of baseball. He sucks.

Go ahead and cite your handful of cherry-picked stats to prove you are right. You still haven't expalined why you have devoted hundreds of threads on our worst player, and barely mention any others, then slam me for talking about Manny so much. At least I have commented on almost every player on our team more than a few times.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil. Show snakeoil's posts

Moon...I think the point is Manny isn't on the team anymore. The situation has been static for 8 months. At this point everyone has their opinion. Mine in fact is in tune with ypurs. But since there is nothing new to talk about it becomes tedious.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

People mad at Lugo's production ought to direct their anger at Theo. Lugo's career production did not warrant anywhere near to the contract he was given.

Sections
Shortcuts