1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Manny and Boras screw up big time

Manny could have had $40,000,000 in Boston and that was with out paying an gaent since the option years did not include an agent's cut.
    Then the cost of living is higher in LA.
    So to make equal to the Boston $40,000,000 he'd have to make $55,000,000 in LA.

So by my estimate he has lost 15% or $6,750,000 to Boras and $15,000,000 in Living expenses. For nearly a total of half of what he signed for or $21,750,000

Of course some players and fans will defend Boras and say he did good for Manny.
    If my agent did this my wife would kill me and fire the agent.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from djcbuffum. Show djcbuffum's posts

Where do you get your numbers? What makes you think the cost of living in LA will be $15,000,000 higher than Boston? And why do you think Boras' fee is $6.75 million?

I hope that after he pays Boras, his take home checks are lower than they would have been with Boston, but I think that's unlikely. I suspect he's going to be slightly better off in LA in terms of take home pay. Maybe he'll be happier there too; some people can't handle the cold.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The bottom line is that Manny Ramirez gets to play in Los Angeles where he reportedly wants to play instead of in Boston where apparently he did not want to play.

Money is only one consideration.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

JIMFROMFLORIDA......... WELL SAID SON "YOUR MAKING ALL MY POINTS" !! I WOULD SAY, THIS WAS ONE HELL OF A COME DOWN !!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Jim,

I don't want to defend Manny, but I wouldn't want to defend your numbers either.

You realize cost of living is stuff like food, clothing, transportation and housing, right?

So unless Manny eats a ton of burritos, then I doubt he will spend significantly more in LA than Boston.

And where did you hear that agents don't get a cut of option years?

Never heard that one before. I always assumed if they negotiated it, they got a cut.

Daf.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

djcbuffum please
    Check out the cost of living calculators and indexes then tell me I'm wrong.
    Cost of living is over $200K more per million in LA compared to Boston.
    Boras number is based upon a 15% agent cut it might be less (doubtful) and maybe more?????

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CommissionerBS. Show CommissionerBS's posts

Manny's making plenty of money to live quite comfortably no matter where he's at.

I bet Torre was sweating bricks until today!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac28. Show pinstripezac28's posts

[Quote]Jim,

I don't want to defend Manny, but I wouldn't want to defend your numbers either.

You realize cost of living is stuff like food, clothing, transportation and housing, right?

So unless Manny eats a ton of burritos, then I doubt he will spend significantly more in LA than Boston.

And where did you hear that agents don't get a cut of option years?

Never heard that one before. I always assumed if they negotiated it, they got a cut.

Daf.[/Quote]

all that Daf

plus jim was wrong about him

getting 40 from boston- 1yr at a time

to all those who think manny lost

I wish you were right

but manny won

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxman16. Show soxman16's posts

I love the Manny bashers now trying to break down the cost of living to some how point out how Manny is worse off. Even after he pays Borus his 15% (this is what I have heard) he still has 38.5M for 2yrs. All in all, he is basically making the same as if he stayed in Boston. The cost of living in LA is not much more than Boston.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

We have to keep in mind that the $40 million Manny might have gotten from the Sox was totally at the discretion of the team. He might have gotten $20 million, he might have gotten nothing. The uncertainty was a big part of why he wanted to get out of Boston.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

[Quote]We have to keep in mind that the $40 million Manny might have gotten from the Sox was totally at the discretion of the team. He might have gotten $20 million, he might have gotten nothing. The uncertainty was a big part of why he wanted to get out of Boston.[/Quote]

Wasn't it Manny, when he signed this $160 million mega deal with Boston, who requested the options? At the time, I guess 20 mill/year looked pretty good to him. Despite the "uncertainty," after collecting $160 million, he should have honored the contract.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[Quote]

Wasn't it Manny, when he signed this $160 million mega deal with Boston, who requested the options? At the time, I guess 20 mill/year looked pretty good to him. Despite the "uncertainty," after collecting $160 million, he should have honored the contract.[/Quote]

There would be no good reason for Manny to request team options. Player options, yes.

Believe me I'm not defending him for breaking his contract, I'm just pointing out that the $40 million wasn't necessarily coming to him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Before you say the numbers are wrong and the COL is not that different please check it out.
    PLEASE go to a cost of living calculator and plug in your salary and see what you would have to make in LA to do the same things you do where ever you live.

Look we were asked to move to LA from Tucsom 8 yrs ago and to make the move our salaries would have had to been doubled just to maintain the same life style.
    As I said from Boston to LA is an additional 200K per year per million.

When you compare Boston and 20 mil to LA and 20 mil yes it is still 20 mil but the 500K home in Boston is a 750K home in LA. Then you all must know the taxes in CA are much worse in LA even though Boston is not great.

If you move from Boston to LA the one thing you had better look at is what your salary in Boston got you versus what it gets you there. It might mean the difference in going from a 3000 sq ft home to a condo. Of this I know all too well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Forgot to add because the options are not guaranteed the agent gets his cut out of the guaranteed part and not the options. It's true..............that's what I'd do as an agent get it up front and not on a wish and a prayer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

[Quote]
    I love the Manny bashers now trying to break down the cost of living to some how point out how Manny is worse off. Even after he pays Borus his 15% (this is what I have heard) he still has 38.5M for 2yrs. All in all, he is basically making the same as if he stayed in Boston. The cost of living in LA is not much more than Boston.
    [/Quote]
    For the upcoming week or two, people from both coasts and everywhere in between will be analyzing the Manny contract, but if it is anyone from Boston or on these boards, they most definitely must be Manny bashers?

Bottom line, Manny behaved in the manner he did in order to GET TO FREE AGENCY. At least Manny was honest about his expectation of getting another huge contract. I'm sure by his standards, despite the current economy, this contract falls short of his expectations.

So yes, Manny basher or not, Jim is correct.......RELATIVELY SPEAKING, Manny is no better off financancially this year (25 million with no-interest, deferred payout, minus agents cut) than he would have been in Boston at $20 million). The one thing I am not sure of, is if any of Manny's Boston options would have been deferred?

So, everyone wins (Dodgers, Manny, Boston), or nobody loses, however you want to look at it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CommissionerBS. Show CommissionerBS's posts

Maybe, just maybe, some players don't think playing in Boston is as great as the fans think it is.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carolina-soxfan. Show carolina-soxfan's posts

[Quote]

all that Daf

plus jim was wrong about him

getting 40 from boston- 1yr at a time

to all those who think manny lost

I wish you were right

but manny won

[/Quote]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carolina-soxfan. Show carolina-soxfan's posts

Sorry, this board sucks. Anyway, I don't think Manny won Pinstripe. I think had he played his cards right Boston would have picked up his two option years and then Manny would have gone on to free agency where he would have picked up 3-4 years as a DH in the AL and gotten more money long term. Now I think he has burned a lot of bridges as teams realize he is just about the money and he quit on his team. Just my opinion.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzCal. Show BuzzCal's posts

When someone is making the money Manny is making the cost of living never enters into the argument. It was like when Ty Law was complaining about the Pats not resigning him "I gotta feed my family". All CRAP! Manny is a jerk and I am glad he is gone.

BuzzCal
    "The Ultimate Sports Calendar"

Checkout BuzzCal Gal

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CommissionerBS. Show CommissionerBS's posts

[Quote]

Then they should not sign a contract, then decide later it's not what they wanted, then go out and quit on their team. [/Quote]

Manny wanted out. He 'bargained' his way out. I guess it worked, didn't it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

Manny is happy and he has an option after this season, The Dodger managemnt and players are happy. I've got the Directv baseball package so I'm happy. I wish he was still in Boston because, until they make a July trade, they could well be a hurting bunch with the bats. But he is where he is and on his way to Cooperstown. We should all be so lucky. Boras, he's a hell of an agent if he's yours, but really is an annoying load otherwise.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzCal. Show BuzzCal's posts

[Quote]

Manny wanted out. He 'bargained' his way out. I guess it worked, didn't it.[/Quote]

Would you sign Manny to a 2+ year deal based on what he did with the Red Sox? He didn't deserve to play again but the desperate Dodgers needed him.

BuzzCal
    "The Ultimate Sports Calendar"

Checkout BuzzCal Gal and support the Red Sox!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[Quote]We have to keep in mind that the $40 million Manny might have gotten from the Sox was totally at the discretion of the team. He might have gotten $20 million, he might have gotten nothing. The uncertainty was a big part of why he wanted to get out of Boston.[/Quote]

That isn't true entirely. Manny wanted to hit free agency while he thought his value was high. He was expecting something like 3-4 seasons.

Boras probably cajoled him into thinking there was more of a market. All told, it was a great signing (like Pedro) by the Duke. If he had stayed through the option years then the Red Sox would have extracted about all of the prime seasons he had. Much like Pedro when he left for NY, Manny may have left one season early. But in these situations one season early is better than one season late.

The sad part is that the OP is close to correct. All said and done, Manny just made more money for Boras.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mpieretti. Show mpieretti's posts

From what I've read about the deal it's 25 million for the 2009 season with a 20 million dollar option for 2010.

That's a 25% raise over what boston was offering for 2009.

Manny wins. Pretty simple. He plays in a laid back town where the fans are wild for him, the press is slack, and the livin's easy.

Those who site cost of living, agent fees and all the rest are being silly.

He got 5 MILLION more dollars in one year. That's 40 years earning for some people. This is not about Manny being right or wrong, this is about Manny being worth 5 MILLION dollars more than what red sox were willing to spend.

maybe this will put it to rest