1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bushguy. Show bushguy's posts

Manny and Boras screw up big time

Sorry Jim, you may mean well and I also wish Manny fell flat on his face, but he came close to breaking even, probably up slightly, with what he'd have earned if the Sox had exercised both option years. The cost of living in LA and Boston are very close, not 20% different. Scott Boras gets 3-4%. Manny's original agent, Jeff Burris would have earned 3-4 % on the option years as they were picked up. An agent asking for anything north of 4% would have 0 clients.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[Quote]Forgot to add because the options are not guaranteed the agent gets his cut out of the guaranteed part and not the options. It's true..............that's what I'd do as an agent get it up front and not on a wish and a prayer.[/Quote]

This is now at least the second time you are spewing the same lie.

An agent get's his percent of every dollar the contract pays, no matter if it is an option year or not. If the Sox had said yes to the options, Manny's ex agent would have gotten his cut.

It is amazing how low you people will stoop to say or do anything to make it look like Manny lost money.

Now others are bringing up the cost of living in LA vs Boston. Please! You guys are so pathetic.

Manny was a jerk. Sometimes jerks win. Sometimes jerks make bigtime money. Maybe this is hard for you to fathom, so you try to invent a new world, I don't know what your motives are, but your reasoning is faulty.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roast1999. Show Roast1999's posts

I see it as a wash. Manny looked very silly wanting four years, 100 mil. It was very entertaining to see only one team interested in him, and his reputation took a HUGE hit through all of this. Was it worth five million to have that much harm done to your name? That being said, Manny did get a slight raise in tough economic times, thus why it's a wash IMO.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac28. Show pinstripezac28's posts

[Quote]

Sorry, this board sucks. Anyway, I don't think Manny won Pinstripe. I think had he played his cards right Boston would have picked up his two option years and then Manny would have gone on to free agency where he would have picked up 3-4 years as a DH in the AL and gotten more money long term. Now I think he has burned a lot of bridges as teams realize he is just about the money and he quit on his team. Just my opinion.

[/Quote]

I agree , this board sucks carolina-soxfan

your post is reasonable, no doubt

I just disagree,

if he '' had played his cards right ''

he would only have a 1 yr deal at 20

he took a shot a getting the bigger

deal now, he didn't get what what had hoped

for but he did get another yr

the saddest part of it all is

I think it was the market that hurt him

more than the owners standing on principles

if manny had gotten a huge deal

after breaking the spirit of a contract

I think that could of hurt the game more

than roids

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ufcchamp. Show ufcchamp's posts

ESPN reported that the money is almost a wash when considering agent fees and COL, but more is deferred. They also asked what price you put on your legacy. His name is Mudd in baseball everywhere but in LA........and a few gay areas of New England.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Some of Boston's money was defered also, even the option years would have been too.

He got a raise. Face it. The jerk got a raise. Get over it.

The agent fees are the same, except that the other jerk, Boras, gets a cut.

I know it would make a lot of you feel better if Manny lost money by helping to force his way out of Boston, but sometimes bad guys don't have bad things happen to them. Manny gets the money, but we have a better shot at a third ring. Let that be your solice.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carolina-soxfan. Show carolina-soxfan's posts

[Quote][Quote]
    Sorry, this board sucks. Anyway, I don't think Manny won Pinstripe. I think had he played his cards right Boston would have picked up his two option years and then Manny would have gone on to free agency where he would have picked up 3-4 years as a DH in the AL and gotten more money long term. Now I think he has burned a lot of bridges as teams realize he is just about the money and he quit on his team. Just my opinion.
    [/Quote]

I agree , this board sucks carolina-soxfan

your post is reasonable, no doubt

I just disagree,

if he '' had played his cards right ''

he would only have a 1 yr deal at 20

he took a shot a getting the bigger

deal now, he didn't get what what had hoped

for but he did get another yr

the saddest part of it all is

I think it was the market that hurt him

more than the owners standing on principles

if manny had gotten a huge deal

after breaking the spirit of a contract

I think that could of hurt the game more

than roids[/Quote]

I think it was a combination of all factors

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mudbugger. Show mudbugger's posts

Lets do the math on whether Manny made out with his contract with the Dodgers versus the arguement of him staying in Boston and the cost of living in each state.

California has a 9.3% tax rate on all income over $47,000.
    which means a 2009 state tax of $2,325,000.00 on Manny's salary of $25,000,000.

Massachusetts has a 5.0% tax rate for all income over $5.00.
    which means a 2009 state tax of $1,250,000 on a salary of $25,000,000.

Then take out Scott Boras's percentage for a new contract (what ever his percentage is), it appears that Manny is literally breaking even whether he stayed in Boston or not.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

It's hard to imagine how anybody could think a guy "PLAYING" baseball for 25 Million Dollars is coming out a loser ?? Maybe the thing that makes Manny a better hitter is that he's not worried about his legacy in Baseball ?? Maybe, Just Maybe he is in it only for the Money ?? Now that would be a real shocker, hah ??

GO SOX 2009 !!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mudbugger. Show mudbugger's posts

[Quote]
    Lets do the math on whether Manny made out with his contract with the Dodgers versus the arguement of him staying in Boston and the cost of living in each state.

California has a 9.3% tax rate on all income over $47,000.
    which means a 2009 state tax of $2,325,000.00 on Manny's salary of $25,000,000. Plus a 1% surcharge for any income over $1,000,000. Which makes this a taxable income of $2,575,000.

Massachusetts has a 5.0% tax rate for all income over $5.00.
    which means a 2009 state tax of $1,250,000 on a salary of $25,000,000.

Then take out Scott Boras's percentage for a new contract (what ever his percentage is), it appears that Manny is literally breaking even whether he stayed in Boston or not.

[/Quote]

Sorry, i was off 1 percentage point on the surcharge that CALI gives to incomes over $1,000,000.

It increased Manny's taxable income by $500,000.

I wonder if he is going to stay at Scott Boras's cottage for free like he did last year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from angryroidragerogerhater75. Show angryroidragerogerhater75's posts

It's hard to say that a guy making 25 mill a year lost, no matter how many cost of living adjustments are made. But, I was really disappointed in the Dodgers caving into this child. Was there anyone else making offers? It's an unjust world, but it kills me when people want to make it even worse. Whether he behaves or not is irrelevant. Someone gave this jerk way more than he deserved while good people are losing their jobs. I hope Manny quits playing in August and the Dodgers finish dead last. And, believe it or not, I'd say the same thing about the Sox if they had signed him. There are some things more important than baseball.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

The only semi smart thing the Dodgers did was give Manny the option to get out of the contract next Season !! At least it showed they did learn a little about "Motivating" Manny !! I really don't think they wanted to give him the 25 mil but, the fan base was up in arms and I didn't think they had a choice !! Anyway, I would tend to agree with some of the Posters when they say he shouldn't even be allowed to play baseball after the stunt he pulled in Boston so in that Case he Does Come out as a BIG WINNER !! Boring A$$ wins too because he just picked up a gift mil or two !!

GO SOX 2009 !!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CommissionerBS. Show CommissionerBS's posts

[Quote]

Would you sign Manny to a 2+ year deal based on what he did with the Red Sox? He didn't deserve to play again but the desperate Dodgers needed him.

BuzzCal
    "The Ultimate Sports Calendar"

Checkout BuzzCal Gal and support the Red Sox!!![/Quote]

Signing Manny for 2+ only would have made sense for an AL team, where he could have been DH, especially in the + years. If I ran a team and had the money, I would have signed him. Sure he's a headcase, but bottom line is winning. I wouldn't care how dysfunctional the team was as long as they won. Of course, with Manny, you have to convince him to show up and play. As for the Dodgers, I think they definitely desperately needed him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I never called Manny a loser I said he lost money and it is real money. The rest of you seldomly really read what the original post is and usually change and misintrepert what people say. Few of you really ever investigate you just say what you think is real and try and pass them off as facts. Then when called on it either disappear or start calling people names.

All I said was based upon the COL difference and in Boston there was no agent fee in the 2 option years which is a fact and reported by the media. Sorry I don't have a copy of the contract. Manny lost money.

A few of you have stated my numbers on the COL are wrong. Have any of you actually gone to a COL calculator and plugged in $40 mil in Boston and what that means you need to get the same COL in LA. No one has said they have here are some facts for those that think LA and Boston are nearly the same. I also never said he got 40 mil in one year I said it was 40 mil versus 45 mil just worked with the total numbers.

Los Angeles is 22% more expensive than Boston. Housing is the biggest factor in the cost of living difference. Housing is 59% more expensive in Los Angeles. That means your $500K home in Boston costs $1 mil in LA.
    When you see a stars home for sale with a million dollar price tag you can compare it to a home at half that price in Boston

Like I said Manny lost REAL money.
    I never said he was a loser like some of you said I did.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from eddiewilson. Show eddiewilson's posts

maybe, just maybe manny didn't want to play in boston? he always said he didn't like the constant media attention, the fans bothering him wherever he went etc. when you play in places like boston or new york, you have to deal with stuff like that. playing in LA is a lot more laid back and manny can go about his business. not too mention the weather is a hell of a lot better there. obviously money was a big factor, but i'm sure he also wanted to play someplace where he wouldn't be hounded. as far as someone mentioning him retiring a legend with the sox retiring his number. manny will retire a legend, somehow i don't think he cares about his number being retired from the sox.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[Quote]
    The only semi smart thing the Dodgers did was give Manny the option to get out of the contract next Season !! At least it showed they did learn a little about "Motivating" Manny !! I really don't think they wanted to give him the 25 mil but, the fan base was up in arms and I didn't think they had a choice !! Anyway, I would tend to agree with some of the Posters when they say he shouldn't even be allowed to play baseball after the stunt he pulled in Boston so in that Case he Does Come out as a BIG WINNER !! Boring A$$ wins too because he just picked up a gift mil or two !!

GO SOX 2009 !!
    [/Quote]

"The stunt" can not be proven. Just because an MRI doesn't show an injury, doesn't mean there wasn't one there. Manny would sue MLB bigtime and win, if they banned him.

Yes, the sad thing about all of this is Boras gets richer and we lose a HOF hitter. We do have Jason Bay, that is a nice part, along with no more July "will we trade him or not" distractions.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[Quote]I never called Manny a loser I said he lost money and it is real money. The rest of you seldomly really read what the original post is and usually change and misintrepert what people say. Few of you really ever investigate you just say what you think is real and try and pass them off as facts. Then when called on it either disappear or start calling people names.

All I said was based upon the COL difference and in Boston there was no agent fee in the 2 option years which is a fact and reported by the media. Sorry I don't have a copy of the contract. Manny lost money.

A few of you have stated my numbers on the COL are wrong. Have any of you actually gone to a COL calculator and plugged in $40 mil in Boston and what that means you need to get the same COL in LA. No one has said they have here are some facts for those that think LA and Boston are nearly the same. I also never said he got 40 mil in one year I said it was 40 mil versus 45 mil just worked with the total numbers.

Los Angeles is 22% more expensive than Boston. Housing is the biggest factor in the cost of living difference. Housing is 59% more expensive in Los Angeles. That means your $500K home in Boston costs $1 mil in LA.
    When you see a stars home for sale with a million dollar price tag you can compare it to a home at half that price in Boston

Like I said Manny lost REAL money.
    I never said he was a loser like some of you said I did.[/Quote]

Your premise has several problems.

Just because Manny Ramirez will earn $25 million this year does not mean that he will have $25 million in living expenses. Only a fraction of his salary will to toward current living expenses. Most will go to investments that should provide income for the half of his life that will come after Ramirez retires from baseball. Most of those investments are available regardless of whether he lives in Bostion or in Los Angeles.

Even assuming your premise, CNNMoney.com says a $20 million salary in Boston is equal to a $22,146,636 salary in the Los Angeles area. Ramirez can average more than that amount over the next two seasons if he exercises the 2010 option. In Los Angeles, utilities would cost 44 percent less, health care 17 percent less and groceries 4 percent less.

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html

Your premise also suggests that Ramirez will spend 12 months a year in Los Angeles. I may be wrong, but I don't think Ramirez spent the entire offseason in Southern California.

Despite the current market, under normal conditions, real estate is an appreciable asset. One could argue that a home purchased in today's depressed Southern California buyer's market will appreciate in value more than a similar investment in the Boston area real estate market.

I don't see how Manny Ramirez lost money.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

Are we really at the point of factoring in "cost of living" as it pertains to Manny Ramirez's salary. The phrase "Get a life!" comes to mind.

Boras won. If Manny really hated Boston that much than he won too but from a financial point Manny is pretty much a push. I agree with the original posters last point.

If my agent (assuming I had one) talked me into doing something and then got 3 times the return I did, he would be gone.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Manny doesn't have to live in LA, he only is going to play there, so even the overblown 22% could be meaningless. I doubt he will buy a house there, since he stayed in a hotel in Boston for 8 years.

The deferred money claim is an even bigger joke. Manny had deffered money in Boston as well, and some of his option year's monies were to be deffered also, same as LA. Then some of you claim he could have made 7% on an upfront contract. If he invested $10 million a year ago today, he'd be lucky to have $400,000 now. Get your head out of the sand. A fixed interest CD pays about the rate of inflation these days, so, no loss.

Even to compare this contract with Boston's is lame. The option years in Boston were the team option, not Manny's. He was guaranteed ZERO in Boston in 2009 and 2010. He is now guaranteed $25M in 2009 and at his option, $20M in 2010. So, technically, he gained $45M, not $5.

Lastly, the bogus claim that Boras's agent fee is 15% (funny you guys pick the number that exactly shows Manny would lose money) and that no agent fees would have been deducted in Manny's option years is totally false. Manny's previous agent would have gotten his share of those paychecks, same as Boras gets now.

You guys need to get a life. OK, Manny's a jerk and evil. Sometimes bad guys win. Sometimes bad guys make a lot of money. It's nothing new in this world, get used to it, and get over it. Manny is gone. He is making bigtime money. We can still win without him. Let's talk about that, not him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

moon he has an 8 million dollar condo for sale in Boston not an apartment. When you play somewhere you usually own a home there since you spend 8 months there. Yes he lives i n the DR during the winter but he always had a home in Boston all year.

hill no one is saying he will have 25 mil in living expenses however he still has to pay to live there and in 2 years he will need 2 mil per year or 4 mil in excess of what he would have in Boston to live like he did in Boston.

When you move from one spot to another you sometimes need more money to maintain your lifestyle in the new area.

You are right it's still 25 and 29 million and nothing for him to worry about.
    However based upon COL and the two options RS and LAD he overall lost money in the move to LA.
    If you moved from Boston to LA at the same salary you will lose either money because you need to pay more for stuff to maintain your lifestyle or you move down the lifestyle ladder.
    At 45 mil he won't be bothered but it is still real money gone.

You guys that are saying otherwise probably have never moved from one location to a more expensive location so you may not understand.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[/Quote]"The stunt" can not be proven. Just because an MRI doesn't show an injury, doesn't mean there wasn't one there. Manny would sue MLB bigtime and win, if they banned him.

Moon, I'm sorry, I loved Manny being in a Red Sox Uniform, but to keep insisting that Manny wasn't pulling a "Stunt" had no proof to it then how do you account for his sudden burst of "Health" in LA ?? Was it the Climate ?? I met Manny in person once in Tampa when we were down there for a couple of games. He was in a clothing store and I told my Nephew and Neices that we should wait for him to finish his business in the store and as he was leaving we could ask nicely for an autograph or a Picture with him. Manny seen us standing outside the Store, with our Red Sox Shirts and hats on and waved us all in. You would think I was a Long lost friend from school or something the way he carried on with us. Pictures and Autographs galore with nothing but big smiles by everybody !! I never believed Manny was "bothered" by all the attention just by the way he was with us !! He just wanted the Options dropped and everything would have been fine !! That was the fly in the ointment and like many of Us when we're angry we say and do things we regret later. Maybe he regrets his actions and maybe he don't but the point is He did shot his way out of town and nobody can ever deny that !!

GO SOX 2009 !!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[Quote]Manny doesn't have to live in LA, he only is going to play there, so even the overblown 22% could be meaningless. I doubt he will buy a house there, since he stayed in a hotel in Boston for 8 years.

The deferred money claim is an even bigger joke. Manny had deffered money in Boston as well, and some of his option year's monies were to be deffered also, same as LA. Then some of you claim he could have made 7% on an upfront contract. If he invested $10 million a year ago today, he'd be lucky to have $400,000 now. Get your head out of the sand. A fixed interest CD pays about the rate of inflation these days, so, no loss.

Even to compare this contract with Boston's is lame. The option years in Boston were the team option, not Manny's. He was guaranteed ZERO in Boston in 2009 and 2010. He is now guaranteed $25M in 2009 and at his option, $20M in 2010. So, technically, he gained $45M, not $5.

Lastly, the bogus claim that Boras's agent fee is 15% (funny you guys pick the number that exactly shows Manny would lose money) and that no agent fees would have been deducted in Manny's option years is totally false. Manny's previous agent would have gotten his share of those paychecks, same as Boras gets now.

You guys need to get a life. OK, Manny's a jerk and evil. Sometimes bad guys win. Sometimes bad guys make a lot of money. It's nothing new in this world, get used to it, and get over it. Manny is gone. He is making bigtime money. We can still win without him. Let's talk about that, not him.
    [/Quote] MOONBABY......... GO RED SOX, THEO, TITO, & JACK MCCORMICK !!!!!!!!!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[Quote][/Quote]"The stunt" can not be proven. Just because an MRI doesn't show an injury, doesn't mean there wasn't one there. Manny would sue MLB bigtime and win, if they banned him.

Moon, I'm sorry, I loved Manny being in a Red Sox Uniform, but to keep insisting that Manny wasn't pulling a "Stunt" had no proof to it then how do you account for his sudden burst of "Health" in LA ?? Was it the Climate ?? I met Manny in person once in Tampa when we were down there for a couple of games. He was in a clothing store and I told my Nephew and Neices that we should wait for him to finish his business in the store and as he was leaving we could ask nicely for an autograph or a Picture with him. Manny seen us standing outside the Store, with our Red Sox Shirts and hats on and waved us all in. You would think I was a Long lost friend from school or something the way he carried on with us. Pictures and Autographs galore with nothing but big smiles by everybody !! I never believed Manny was "bothered" by all the attention just by the way he was with us !! He just wanted the Options dropped and everything would have been fine !! That was the fly in the ointment and like many of Us when we're angry we say and do things we regret later. Maybe he regrets his actions and maybe he don't but the point is He did shot his way out of town and nobody can ever deny that !!

GO SOX 2009 !!
    [/Quote] ALGATOR.... WELL SAID SON !!!!!!!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

You guys that are saying otherwise probably have never moved from one location to a more expensive location so you may not understand.

Twenty years ago I accurately considered cost of living when I moved to Los Angeles from Laramie, Wyoming (where the cost of living is far lower than Boston's). When I left Los Angeles, cost of living was a key factor when my wife took a job in Portland, Oregon, over a job with the same salary in the San Francisco Bay area.

Here is a link to a cost-of-living calculator:

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html

Manny Ramirez made out well by securing a fat salary in a setting where he apparently is happy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[Quote][/Quote]"The stunt" can not be proven. Just because an MRI doesn't show an injury, doesn't mean there wasn't one there. Manny would sue MLB bigtime and win, if they banned him.

GO SOX 2009 !!
    [/Quote]

First of all I never said Manny wasn't faking it or milking a minor injury, I just said an MRI can never prove he was faking, and yet Theo outed him and forced the final showdown. I'm not letting Manny off the hook. He was a jerk and he had a big part in his departure, but I believe, if Theo just let it all go, Manny would have played his heart out in Boston, with dollar signs in his eyes, just as they were in LA.

Secondly, assuming Manny was hurt enough to miss a game or 2 in July with Boston, it is not entirely possible that it improved in the few days between sitting in Boston and him going on a rampage in LA. It has happened before.

Yes I do believe he wanted his options dropped and that he helped get his ticket outta town, but it can't be proved he was or wasn't hurt. Too much unknowns.

I also thought OJ was guilty, but if I was a juror, I'd may have voted innocent.