1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firefligh. Show Firefligh's posts

Manny and Jason

LOL

Manuelito - the Rap Tribute!

Love it!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

Manny and Jason

[Quote]

Kt888... OK, I am a big Manny supporter and I can agree with you that Manny became a big distraction in the end and unpopular with his teamates. I just wish this could have been avoided. I strongly believe the RS did not have a one on one sit down with Manny to work out an agreement prior to all of the unfortunate sequence of events over the last 2 months. I believe Manny knew that Theo and the FO wanted him out of Boston and that just put Manny over the edge. Manny should have handled this better and more professionally but unfortunatley he did not.[/Quote]

Soxman,
    I respect your perspective, and you may be correct in that perhaps the FO did not sit Manny down to work out an agreement with Manny prior to all of this unfolding. But my question is, why should they have? I mean, they were TEAM options, afterall - something that Manny happily agreed to when he signed the $160 million deal. Back then though, he wasn't preoccupied with how he was going to earn his next tens of millions, which is ultimately, at least in my opinion, what led him to become a distraction (and worse). If you are correct, Manny believed Theo and Co. wanted him out of town. I tend to think, however, prior to all of the unfortunate events, that the RS were strongly considering excercising his option at least for next season. I really believe this. But Manny, IMO, wanted either a guaranteed extension, or for at least both option years to be picked up at once.

Like Manny earned and deserved every penny of his $160 million from the RS (well, at least until the very end), the RS earned and deserved the chance to exercise the team options agreed upon 8 years ago. Many professional athletes have huge egos, but thank God the vast majority of them do not resort to Manny's tactics to get out of their commitments. It's a slap in the face to his teammates, and a poor example to set for young fans and younger players, and I hope it doesn't set any type of precident. I think most RS fans likely felt as sick, shocked, and disappointed as I did about the situation, to lose one of the best hitters in the game, in the middle of a playoff race. On the other hand, leading up to the trade, you could almost sense the inevitable. In some situations since the trade, I have found myself thinking/wishing we still had him offensively. But in the end, that wasn't a realistic option, and like you, I just wish things could have ended on a more postive note. I'm glad he is doing well for the Dodgers. The Dodgers definitely got the best of this trade.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

Manny and Jason

[Quote]"the Sox have gone 21-8 since Manny left"

Is it at all possible that because the Red Sox have been playing a relatively 'soft' schedule since Manny was traded, that the 21-8 has more to do with more games vs. teams out of the playoff mix?

The Sox Aug. schedule saw them go 4-3 vs. the White Sox , the only team we played in that month that was possibly playoff bound. Add 3 games vs. the hapless O's in Sept and you have the real reason why the Red Sox have gone 21-8.

Stop trying to make Manny look like a criminal and a cancer. Nothing could be further than the truth. Anyone who watched Manny for his entire stay with the Sox could tell that he was not unpopular with teammates. His problem was with management and owners, these guys did not write his contract, obviously did not want to bring him back and have done this repeatedly to the superstars they did not want to resign ...Nomar, Pedro , Lowe, Damon etc. These( except Nomar) were much of the backbone of the 2004 team that we all fell in love with for their glorious comeback. I refuse to treat them like wayward, troublemaking misfits. These guys are all great ballplayers and teh 2004 title would not have been ours without any one of them.
    [/Quote]

So in the 30 days leading up to the trade deadline, the Sox were roughly 14-16 (a whopping .467 win %), and in the 30 games following the trade deadline, they were around 21-9 (.700 win %), and you want to say it's because of the relatively "soft" schedule leading up to the deadline? Yeah, that must be it..........lol.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firefligh. Show Firefligh's posts

Manny and Jason

There he goes again! ANOTHER two run homer tonite! A 435 footer in Petco, another "pitcher's park", 99 keeps tearing up!

Whooo hoooo, Manuelito, baby!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firefligh. Show Firefligh's posts

Manny and Jason

And Manny just hit ANOTHER two run homer - this one hit the beach. Two dingers, four ribbies tonite.

Screw you Theo. Take Timlin and take a hike.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3007291. Show user_3007291's posts

Manny and Jason

[Quote]Sox have 13 games against Tampa and Toronto in Sept. This is the test of who the hitters are. So far, Boston is 1-2 and has scored nine runs in 33 innings. Forgot the inflated stats against the lousy teams. If Boston doesn't make the playoffs or goes down in the first round, both Francona and Epstein should be fired. They left 18 runners on base tonight and Bay was 0-7. There is no way Manny goes 0-7 in a game of this magnitude.[/Quote]

And if they make the Playoffs, and advance to the WS, you and your friends on this board can feel free to fire your selves from Red Sox nation. You don't deserve this team with your constant complaining and spouting useless stats from a different team in a different league. Why can't you people enjoy this pennant race? Every year is a new challenge with a different set of players. Try and let the past go and enjoy the moment. Your missing all the fun.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 24Evans. Show 24Evans's posts

Manny and Jason

First of all the National League is the Minor Leagues and secondly, don't compare Manny to Williams. Williams spent years serving our country in a time of war and lost many chances to add to his HR total.
    Manny is good and so is Bay. The Sox are better off with Bay. He is more of a team player. I can never excuse Manny for watching three strikes against the Yanks in a pinch hitting role. The Sox may not win the WS this year but have the talent to go far in the near future.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MannyManic. Show MannyManic's posts

Manny and Jason

[Quote]

And if they make the Playoffs, and advance to the WS, you and your friends on this board can feel free to fire your selves from Red Sox nation. You don't deserve this team with your constant complaining and spouting useless stats from a different team in a different league. Why can't you people enjoy this pennant race? Every year is a new challenge with a different set of players. Try and let the past go and enjoy the moment. Your missing all the fun.[/Quote]

Just because I miss Manny doesn't mean I'm not enjoying the pennant race. Why does it have to be all or nothing with some people??

I'm first a RS fan and second a Manny fan. And I do agree it was awful at the end. I don't blame the FO solely, I spread it equally between them and Boreass and Manny too. I wish Manny had handled it differently the same as I wish the FO had handled it differently, and I simply wish Boreass wasn't in the picture at all.

That being said, back to the subject of this thread, you can't compare Bay to Ramirez. It's apples and oranges. Even disregarding the lopsided stats: Bay is white bread and Ramirez is whole wheat. Bay gets the job done steadily but is sorely lacking in the charisma department. Ramirez was full of charisma and got the job done in manic spurts and jolts. Bay hits a homerun and blandly trots around the diamond and ducks into the dugout like a shy puppy, Ramirez gets a homerun and salutes it.

I miss Manny, that's all.