1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaqipete. Show jaqipete's posts

Manny says he will not veto a trade to any team

Manny Ramirez is willing to help the Boston Red Sox if the team decides they are better off without him.

I don't have any preferences: I could choose a team that offers me the best conditions or one in the chase for the postseason. I don't care where I play, I can even play in Iraq if need be. My job is to play baseball.

-- Manny Ramirez

"If the Red Sox are a better team without Manny Ramirez, they should trade me; I will not object," said Ramirez in a telephone interview with ESPNdeportes.com on Sunday.

"I don't have any preferences: I could choose a team that offers me the best conditions or one in the chase for the postseason. I don't care where I play, I can even play in Iraq if need be. My job is to play baseball," added Ramirez.

Ramirez, .298, with 16 home runs and 63 RBIs this season, returned to the Red Sox lineup on Saturday to face the New York Yankees after missing the two previous games due to pain in his right knee.

Manager Terry Francona and Red Sox officers spoke with Ramirez on Friday after the results to test of both his knees revealed no injuries.

There were reports in the Boston media that the team was planning to take disciplinary action against Ramirez if he did not return to the lineup for the last two games of the series against the Yankees.

It was also suggested during the weekend that the Red Sox management could evaluate the idea of trading Ramirez before Thursday's deadline.

Ramirez, 36, is playing the last season of the eight-year, $168 million contract he signed with Boston in December 2000. The club keeps two options of $20 million each.

"If they can get a trade, I'd approve it. If they can't trade me, then they will simply have to inform me by the end of the season that they won't use the options and we'll go separate ways," said Ramirez, who must approve any trade to a different team because of his 10-5 condition (10 years in the Major Leagues and the last five with the same team).

"I don't want to be a problem and a distraction to the Red Sox in such a critical moment of the season. I want to help the team, even if that means I have to go," said Ramirez.

As regards his knee problems, Ramirez said he thinks he's dealing with tendinitis and denied he could be faking injuries.

"I'm a ballplayer with more than 500 home runs and almost 2,000 RBIs. I'm a professional. I don't know how anybody can say I could be making it all up," said Ramirez, who has hit .312 with 509 home runs and 1,667 RBIs in 16 seasons.

Ramirez is convinced that all the fuss surrounding his injury and his contractual situation is part of a Red Sox campaign to portray him as the "bad guy."

"The Yankees are getting closer and getting stronger, while we haven't done much," said Ramirez. "I could say that right now there's a strange atmosphere in our team," he added.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mudbugger. Show mudbugger's posts

Is that the New kids on the block singing "bye bye...bye???"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaqipete. Show jaqipete's posts

Pretty obvious at this point that manny and theo are not on speaking terms. They're hashing out the possibilities publicly....very odd for the red sox organization. Shouldn't this all be happening in a closed door meeting of some sort with a player of his stature?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from highflysox. Show highflysox's posts

now is the right time to get rid of the CANCER

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Captain313. Show Captain313's posts

It is also clear that Manny is upset that the Red Sox are not doing anything in the front office (besides trying to smear him). This whole scenario reeks of 2006 when the Sox stood pat and sold out their team and the fans. They have already maxed profit for the year as all seats are sold out. Once again, Henry and the boys putting money over winning. They had chances after the WS to improve the club (Linebrink) and even recently (Marte, Nady), but choose the save the money.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaqipete. Show jaqipete's posts

They seem a little more ready to let him go this time around. Henry ripping him apart publicly shows ramirez may have a point about them wanting him to seem like the bad guy. yesterday he told reporters he wasnt going to talk about it, today he seems to have realized that no one is going to defend him unless he does it himself. And hes taking the question in the minds of the fans, the media, and any owner interested about whether or not hes willing to be traded

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4of11. Show 4of11's posts

sounds like a bunch of bickering ladies, but wait Manny is a lady just look at his hair style.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Gotta love all these "we send Manny to the Mets/Team X for prospects and then trade those prospects for Holliday/Dunn" suggestions.

So why wouldn't the Mets/whoever simply trade those guys for Holliday or Dunn? Why would they even get the Sox involved? To do us a favor?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[Quote]

I have yet to figure out what fans like about Dunn. Sure we trade a consitant 300 hitter for a guy that bats 220. We could have Dunn for a lot less than Manny, the Reds would love to dump his contract.[/Quote]

I feel the same way about Holliday, who is a very, very different hitter outside of Coors. At least Dunn's 900 OPS still happens on the road. Holliday's OPS outside of Coors isn't even .800, let alone .900.

Holliday is a better fielder than Dunn, but who isn't? A strategically-placed bucket could man LF as well as Dunn. Possibly even better, sicne the bucket would never throw to the wrong base...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThrashMagazine5. Show ThrashMagazine5's posts

from the phuturephillies.com

"Rumors swirling. Happ was removed in the 3rd inning, and according to 1 report, was being congratulated in the dugout, or at least it didn’t appear he was injured. If he was being recalled by the big league team, it seems odd to remove him mid inning. The more likely scenario is a trade in the works. Stay tuned."

JA Harp is ranked by them as their #6 prospect, I think he might be higher on baseball prospect, not sure though. He is 25 though. This is completely speculation, figured I would feed the vultures!

However, IF Manny was traded I don't think it would happen until last might. I would love to have him traded. Not because I hate him and his antics (although I do), but I think it would drastically shake this team up who seem to be playing through the motions. Just like the Nomar trade did.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonman25. Show bostonman25's posts

[Quote]Here we go:

Mets- acquire Ramirez
    Sox- acquire Dunn
    Reds- 2 prospects from the Mets. This would not require 2 top prospects since Dunn will be a FA this winter.

Sox could then put Ortiz in the clean-up spot, Drew to the 3 hole and let Dunn bat 6th.[/Quote]

I agree the Mets would probably take Manny but get some of there Prospects... F. Martinez and Wilmer Flores would be nice in the Sox farm instead of a disgruntled Ramirez... A few days ago a guy called WEEI and blurted that the Sox and Mets talked about a 6 for one 6 of the Mets Prospects for Manny and everyone thought he was crazy including me but now I can se that being do able... As long as we get 2-3 of the Mets prospects and flip the rest with maybe one or 2 of ours to gat a bat to replace Ramirez the Sox will be fine...

Mets:
    Ramirez

Pirates:
    Moss, lower level prospect, and 3-4 prospects from Mets

Sox:
    Bay, Martinez, and Flores

Separte Trade

Braves:
    Youk, Kalish, Kattoras, Lowerie, 1-2 prospects

Sox:
    Teixeria, Soriano, Gonzalez

Bring in a Vizquel or good Defensive SS

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MR24. Show MR24's posts

[Quote]Here we go:

Mets- acquire Ramirez
    Sox- acquire Dunn
    Reds- 2 prospects from the Mets. This would not require 2 top prospects since Dunn will be a FA this winter.

Sox could then put Ortiz in the clean-up spot, Drew to the 3 hole and let Dunn bat 6th.[/Quote]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from threenil. Show threenil's posts

According to the Fox guys covering yesterday's game, Manny and his agent are supremely pi**ed about what they see as being left to hang until Nov 9. I see their point to an extent, and it kind of explains why he's acting like such an a**hole, he wants to know where he's playing next year! He's given signals to the FO that he wants to stay, but has got nothing back, which has to be a bummer. So he's frustrated and has acted up, big time. So should the Sox deal him? Absolutely, or tell him they'll pick up his option, any middle ground is going to be poisonous for this team at a time when with these Yanks and Rays the Sox need to be playing .660. I say make the guy happy, even tough he's been unbearable he just needs to be loved. We need his production, and can we pick up anyone else as good?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaqipete. Show jaqipete's posts

MANNY'S LATEST SHOT AT THE ORGANIZATION:

After telling ESPNdeportes today that he would not block a trade if the Red Sox could find a trading partner, Manny Ramirez expanded on that in his first comments since the situation with him and the team reached a head this weekend.
    In a session that lasted just fewer than two minutes with assembled reporters in the Red Sox clubhouse, Ramirez confirmed that statement.
    "What I said was if the Red Sox they think they could find a trade that's going to make the team better and both sides are going to be happy, I'm going to agree," he said. "But if they cannot find a trade... It's something simple. It's no big deal. At the end of the season, all they've got to do is call my agent and say, 'Hey, we're not going to pick Manny's option for '09, he's going to become a free agent. And that's it. I go my way, and you guys go your way, something simple."
    Do you feel like they want you to go your separate ways?
    "I don't know, that's my idea. That's it, something simple. I don't want to talk to them about contracts right now. So what? I know they got me, but enough is enough. I'm tired of them, they're tired of me. After 2008, just send me a letter or whatever. You don't even got to call my agent or whatever. 'Hey, thank you for everything. You're going to become a free agent. We're not going to pick up your option in '09.'"
    Do you expect that to happen?
    "That will happen. They're not stupid."
    When they've talked to you, have they expressed their problem with you?
    "Boston is not stupid. They're not going to do it. They can say whatever they want. But when it comes to make a deal, they're not going to pull the trigger, because they know what they've got here."
    Are you happy here?
    "I'm happy. But enough is enough."
    When you say "enough is enough," what does that mean?
    "That's it. You've got to ask Tito and John Henry, they know."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Why would we bat those 3 lefties all in a row? Wouldn't we have Youk or Lowell move to cleanup? at the very least we'd go Drew-Papi-Lowell-Dunn-Youk. I don't like Dunn tho, worse D then Manny, WAY more K's... I'd want a righty bat

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Manny and his agent are supremely pi**ed about what they see as being left to hang until Nov 9. I see their point to an extent, and it kind of explains why he's acting like such an a**hole

Waaaaahhhh! bring out the Waaambulance and feed Manny some Waaaburgers. He's made like 200 million the past 15 years and 160 million from us. He signed this contract. How many freaking players go into the last year of a deal and play it out with professionalism. Shut the F up Manny.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppyob. Show poppyob's posts

TAKE MANNIE----PLEASE!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppyob. Show poppyob's posts

MANNY MAY HAVE NUMBERS BUT HE HAS BEEN A DISGRACE TO THE GAME OF BASEBALL,TO HIS ORGANIZATION,HIS FANS,AND MOST IMPORTANTLY HIS TEAMMATES.WHEN THE TIME COMES TO VOTE FOR HIS ENTRY INTO THE HALL OF FAME I HOPE AND TRUST THAT THE VOTERS REMEMBER THAT MANNY HAS GONE INTO THE TANK ON AT LEAST TWO OCCASIONS WHILE LEAVING HIS TEAM HANGING IN THE WIND---I CAN THINK OF NO MEMBER OF THE HALL WHO HAS DONE THAT.
    MANNY DEMANDS "RESPECT" BUT HAS DONE NOTHING IN HIS CAREER TO EARN IT.BASEBALL IN GENERAL AND THE RED SOX IN PARTICULAR WOULD BE MUCH BETTER OFF WITHOUT THS BUFFOON

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mudbugger. Show mudbugger's posts

Right about now, I would take McCann straight up for Manny.
    Hell even Obama might play a better outfield.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonman25. Show bostonman25's posts

Actually HRDERBY3, yunel Escobar their "STAR SS" was a 3B in the farm before moving to SS to keep Chipper at 3B... Kalish was one of the prospects that the Twins wanted in the Santana Trade he may only be a AA player but that doesn't mean he has no value... Kattoras was just a throw in I would move Bowden or some decent pitcher... Oh do your HW before you try to say something smart and make your self look foolish... I hat people like you on this board think they know everything and think they know everything...
    Fact: Omar Minaya loves Manny and he is on HOT SEAT...
    Fact: Youk's value right now in terms of trade are close to that of TEX...
    Fact: Jason Bay for about 4-6 prospects is fair depending on the skill level of the prospects.
    Fact: Manny will not be moved unless Martinez is in the Trade and the Sox could push for Wlimer Flores, has been compared to Miguel Cabrera of 2003 (skinny)
    Fact: Kalish is projected to be a good player...
    Fact: The Sox have a great farm system.
    Fact: I don't care what you have to say because it was an idea that is fair and realistic.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

How can Ramirez not be a distraction talking on a cell from behind the scoreboard during a game? Of course, he doesn't want to be a distraction at this time of the year. Perhaps, this implies that it's OK, at any other time?

It should be quite clear that Ramirez has deliberately chosen an attitude of indifference that often leaks on to the field.

I'm all for a trade that brings back something for the team. In fact, the Sox should play hardball and renew him for a year, just to trade him and get something back. Perhaps, they should assume an attitude of indifference as it's all going on, as well?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from REW. Show REW's posts

I have no idea as to my original name as I have been a member since 1984, but...... deos anyone see a trend.
    Yes, manny is Manny, he helped us win two World Series. Yet my beef is with our FO and the ownership. Bad Manny, getting upset, saying his knee hurt, BUT Pedro, Damon (who still looks pretty good in his third year after he left here), the Dirt Dogs of 04, Schilling's disagreement over his shoulder treatmeeeent, Nixon,and long ago Tiant, Boggs, and Clemens. Why do we seem to have a problem with every team leader. Could it be that the ownership, views the profit margin as more important than team chemistry.
    Yes, Manny is being Manny, but the ownership group and their Fo ar ebeing themselves also, again...with another key performer that perhaps could have been dealt with in other ways.
    Lastly I will be chewed up as to specifics, whereas I am only trying to present a theme. In leaving, the blame is largely with Manny, it just seems as if this same basic story of expensive veteran not getting the extra year, or having an option picked up early is being replayed, and another link to the championships will be recalled as to how it ended, as compared to how special he was. Could someone tell me also...why Ellsbury and Hansen were deemed too valuable to trade for Santana? Surely that decision was correct, and had nothing to do with the salary of Santana.
    Sox Rules!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

HAHAHA Manny is not a team leader...jeez. What problems could you possibly have w/ the FO based on those players you listed? Damon still is overpaid, 13m for a guy who will hit .270-10HR-20st and has no arm and injury issues? 13m for Pedro who has had like 30 wins in almost 3 years since leaving here and spent more time on the DL than on the team?? Trot was worthless his last 2 years here and we sent him off as classy as possible. the "dirt dogs???" Mueller/Bellhorn were out of the league 2 yrs after we won it all, Millar is a shadow of his old self, I'll take Youk, thanks. Schill hosed us, they gave him a lowball offer and a "fat clause" b/c they didn't really want him back unless he was making 8m to be our #3 starter and got in shape, no problems w/ that logic. Schill jumped on the offer though b/c he knew his shoulder was screwed and he wanted those millions. Clemens?? C'mon, he was out of shape, a .500 pitcher for 3 years, and needed roids to get his groove back. Boggs? A wife beater/cheater?? Get a clue...the front office old and new made the right choices in letting go some of the teams best.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jayrod. Show jayrod's posts

i just heard that they traded him to the shiites for some back up fielder name dmuktada el something

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbv2003. Show gbv2003's posts

[Quote]Pretty obvious at this point that manny and theo are not on speaking terms. They're hashing out the possibilities publicly....very odd for the red sox organization. Shouldn't this all be happening in a closed door meeting of some sort with a player of his stature?[/Quote]

This is not very odd for the Red Sox. I do remember them going on a smear campaign when Lowe was on his last year.

Whatever, we have one of the greats in our team and people are turning their backs on him. People forget what he's done and how he's helped our team. Way to go pink hat wearing fans.

I swear, people in this town get so duped into what the media reports like a bunch of lemmings especially when it comes to the Red Sox.

Fairweather racist fans at its best right now in beantown. Well done!