1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ufcchamp. Show ufcchamp's posts

Matsuzaka ages me

I know he wins games and that's the bottom line...so I'm saying this strictly in a selfish manner because it pains me to watch him pitch.... He's the one Sox pitcher that I sub-consciously keep a pitch count in my head or hit the computer to check it. Now I'm not one of these habitual trade proposers but for mine and Tito's health hows about we see if Japanese-loving Seattle might send Bedard and maybe a Jeff Clement for DM and Kottaras or something to that effect. I live in DC and saw one game live this year and it happened to be when DK pitched in Balt and it was the slowest moving game I've ever been at. Apparently Seattle wants Bedard gone and I hear he's a little beeeeatch, but Tek could slap him into shape.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ihatefishing. Show ihatefishing's posts

Matsuzaka ages me

The sox dont trade cy-young caliber pitchers because some fans dont liek their styles. a win is a win, a sub 3 ERA is a sub 3 ERA, tough break.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from valeriesass. Show valeriesass's posts

Matsuzaka ages me

I was at last Friday night's 8-0 win over Central Division leading Chisox- DiceK was pitching 2 hit shut out in the 8th & the fans were doing the wave & batting beach balls around-He has a boring style but that is not a reason to trade him-he produces-it is a reason to multi-task during game she pitches.
    If Pedro or Beckett or Schilling or Lester etc were pitching 2 hit shut out in 8th people would be watching intently

Dice K does not have the electric fastball & never seems to dominate hitters-Even in a 2 hit shut out when he only walked 2 -He seemed to be struggling somehow-When Beckett is on the count always seems like it is 1-2 w/ Dic K its always 3 &2

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ufcchamp. Show ufcchamp's posts

Matsuzaka ages me

He's a lot like Lester a couple of years ago, but Lester was young and everyone knew he'd gain confidence and start going after folks. This guy is a legend in Japan, has pitched in big games since 18yo and I thought he'd be more confident this year. Bedard is CY calibur too....just throwing it out there. I think Tito and the FO are frustrated with the way he pitches, and prepares to pitch too. I don't hate the guy and he's the best #3 in the league (if Lester is #2).
    BTW- Does Kotsay look like Tim McGraw......with real hair.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bert0529. Show Bert0529's posts

Matsuzaka ages me

I don't think it's a confidence issue. It's more a style thing. In fact, his unwillingness to cave in and work over the white part of the plate even when he has men on is more a testament to his confidence in his game than anything. He's willing to give up a few walks to keep nibbling and forcing hitters to swing at bad pitches. I agree 100% that it is often tought to watch and when he gives up his 4th walk I'm climbing thorugh the TV to strangle him, but I think that's our hang-up and not his problem. The snap raction to his style is to get on him about not getting deep into games which is fair. He's averaging 5.2 innings (6.0 if you exclude the starts immediately before and after his DL stint) which isn't great, but he's doing it at a 2.88 ERA which helps his case. Next time out he's going for his 17th win and he's left the game 7 times with 0 runs on the board. Lastly, the team is 21-4 when he pitches. If you're a Red Sox fan, it pays to be a Daisuke fan.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

Matsuzaka ages me

I check his pitch counts too. He is frustrating to watch. But its a good frustrating!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nickarcese. Show nickarcese's posts

Matsuzaka ages me

We should establish new club policy for DiceK, he must pitch afternoon games only. LOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Matsuzaka ages me

All I keep hearing is how Daiuke is frustrating , he throws too many pitches, he doesn't have a good fastball, and on and on.

The problem is everybody keeps focusing on the amount of money to get him to play here. Yes he was expensive, but would you rather have a pitching staff like N.Y.'s or Baltimore's?

I'll take Daisuke anyday over Daniel Cabrera, Radhames Liz, Carl Pavano, Ian Kennedy or 99.9% of what most teams have.

He can frustrate Sox fans all he wants, as long as he keeps frustrating the opposing teams into losing games.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

Matsuzaka ages me

It would appear the general consensus is that the average Sox fan is very happy that we have Dice-K.

At the same time, it is rarely a 'smooth' performance that comes along with him. A few more hairs always turn gray in the process.
    With Dice-K, its the near constant fear of impending implosion that causes this stress. Granted, he usually manages to escape with a Win or no-decision. It would be nice if there were a few more 'dominant' games from him (with far fewer base runners and pitches).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seair. Show seair's posts

Matsuzaka ages me

I think he should pitch more in warmup. This guy seems to pitch better the longer he goes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seair. Show seair's posts

Matsuzaka ages me

I think he should pitch longer in warmup. He seems to get better the longer he pitches.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gradcomm. Show gradcomm's posts

Matsuzaka ages me

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwdad. Show dwdad's posts

Matsuzaka ages me

Zaka might be doing more with less than anyone suspects. It may be likely he has shoulder issues, and can still get it up to the plate at respectable numbers but cannot be confident in his location. Some pitchers, like Beckett, give up solo bombs and forget it; Zaka seems to take it personally, and would rather pitch with baserunners than risk going fat to the plate. It works for 5 and two-thirds innings. Not too many could get away with what he does, so there is probably a method to this approach, and a problem attached to it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from brazildj. Show brazildj's posts

Matsuzaka ages me

It's the W at the end of the game that counts. Dice-K is second in the AL in percentage of games won, third in total wins.

I think I'll keep him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from goznes. Show goznes's posts

Matsuzaka ages me

Batters will murder the ball if he puts it over the plate, so DK has to nibble. It's the same for any pitcher, even the power pitchers. If they throw it straight and over the plate, the hitters will hit it- they are professional hitters. That's why the cutter is so effective. I can be thrown fast but with movement.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ufcchamp. Show ufcchamp's posts

Matsuzaka ages me

The problem is everybody keeps focusing on the
    amount of money to get him to play here.

I don't think about that at all and haven't really heard it mentioned since last year. The reason I expected more was because this is his second year here and I thought he'd be more confident There are plenty of guys in the league that don't have near the stuff or velocity of DM who go after people and get them out. I know his way works with Ws but a great pitcher, like he's supposed to be, eats up innings too. Again, a great #3, but I thought he might turn into a 1A. I believe he's got a full no-trade so it's probably null-and-void.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bert0529. Show Bert0529's posts

Matsuzaka ages me

[Quote]The problem is everybody keeps focusing on the

I don't think about that at all and haven't really heard it mentioned since last year. The reason I expected more was because this is his second year here and I thought he'd be more confident There are plenty of guys in the league that don't have near the stuff or velocity of DM who go after people and get them out. I know his way works with Ws but a great pitcher, like he's supposed to be, eats up innings too. Again, a great #3, but I thought he might turn into a 1A. I believe he's got a full no-trade so it's probably null-and-void.[/Quote]

What makes you believe that he is not confident? My take on it is that he's just confident in a different skill set. He never caves from his plan and Tek never pushes him off the plan either. I don't discount your assertion I just wonder what you're basing it on.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from walterjohnson07. Show walterjohnson07's posts

Matsuzaka ages me

It's true, Daisuke is tough to watch, but not as bad as Wake. I love the butterfly in principle but you never know when Wake is going to lose control of it or it's going to go flat and get Aaron Boone'd. (Sorry.)

Like last season, Dice-K's W-L record is a bit distorted. Last year he lost a few more games he should have won, and vice versa this season. But the ERA is impressive. I think he'll continue to improve. I just hope his shoulder holds up, given all the pitching he's done in his career, not just in MLB.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mikegosox. Show Mikegosox's posts

Matsuzaka ages me

This is how Dice pitches and always has. If it were up to him he would eat more innnings. All 9 of em. The sox are more concerned about his pitch counts than he is. Rightfully so being that he tired out late in the 07 season. He is still learning how to adjust his pitching style to the long MLB season and pitch counts imposed on him by the sox. I have said it before but most will probably not agree. I think they should just let Dice pitch more innings regardless of pitch count. He gets better/stronger as he eats more innings. If he needs a break, then spot start someone for him (byrd, colon, buch, smith, pauley, anyone) every once in awhile so he can regain his strength. The sox are not afraid to do without their key guys for a bit (see becket, Wake, etc) and continue to do well or at least keep pace. In fact, they have proven that resting guys here and there has been extremely beneficial (whether they did it by injury or not) for the final months and post season. BTW, I love watching him pitch. It's exciting to see him wiggle out of jams and walk off the mound with leads. Nibble all you want Dice!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Matsuzaka ages me

[Quote]The problem is everybody keeps focusing on the

I don't think about that at all and haven't really heard it mentioned since last year. The reason I expected more was because this is his second year here and I thought he'd be more confident There are plenty of guys in the league that don't have near the stuff or velocity of DM who go after people and get them out. I know his way works with Ws but a great pitcher, like he's supposed to be, eats up innings too. Again, a great #3, but I thought he might turn into a 1A. I believe he's got a full no-trade so it's probably null-and-void.[/Quote]

Paul Byrd doesn't make anywhere near the money Daisuke is getting , therefore , we do not see threads started about how Byrd is ineffective, disappointing , etc. , etc.

It is because of his high salary and the $50 million fee that everybody keeps expecting him to run the table and walk away with the Cy Young award even though this is only his 2nd year in MLB. How many other 2nd year pitchers are there with 16 wins???

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ufcchamp. Show ufcchamp's posts

Matsuzaka ages me

It is because of his high salary and the $50 million fee that everybody keeps expecting him to run the table and walk away with the Cy Young award even though this is only his 2nd year in MLB

I disagree. I bought their explanation that they will recoup that money by tapping into the Japanese market in terms of advertising, sponsorships and marketing. I think it was more the talk of a Japanese high-school legend, arguably the most popular Japanese player ever to come over, the MVP of the WBC, and a half dozen ++ pitches (not including the infamous gyro-ball), as well as the fact that he should now be acclimated. The posting fee was a big topic last year (his salary is actually below market value) but I have rarely heard it mentioned this year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ufcchamp. Show ufcchamp's posts

Matsuzaka ages me

Paul Byrd doesn't make anywhere near the money Daisuke is getting , therefore , we do not see threads started about how Byrd is ineffective, disappointing , etc. , etc. - ZILLAGOD-2

Almost forgot my main point about why my expectations have nothing to do with $$$....

Byrd - $7.5M
    Matsuzaka - $8.3M

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fendrguitplayr. Show fendrguitplayr's posts

Matsuzaka ages me

I just hope he can keep the Ray's bats in check tonight. BTW, about six of The Rays (including Baldelli) were out partying after the game last night on Newbury St. (Daisey's) and that new kid, Zobrist, was hammered!