3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mobosox. Show mobosox's posts

Matt Cassel= blind squirrel

No pocket presence while under pressure

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mobosox. Show mobosox's posts

Credit for the drive...but this guy is not going to take then anywhere

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[Quote]This Rolls Royce is runnin like a pinto with Cassell holding the keys.[/Quote]

You need a better line. You've used that one already.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Can't see the game from here, but statistically it looks like the Pats are dominating this game, if you factor out the turnovers. Is this some kind of illusion?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeepguy2358. Show jeepguy2358's posts

[Quote]Can't see the game from here, but statistically it looks like the Pats are dominating this game, if you factor out the turnovers. Is this some kind of illusion?[/Quote]

Can't see it either, but with the stats showing 4 sacks and the other team scoring 14 easy points, it doesn't sound much like Cassell's fault to me. Sounds again like the O and D lines.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mobosox. Show mobosox's posts

Cassel has zero presence in the pocket

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[Quote]

Can't see it either, but with the stats showing 4 sacks and the other team scoring 14 easy points, it doesn't sound much like Cassell's fault to me. Sounds again like the O and D lines.[/Quote]

Cassel isn't great, but he is learning. He has made great and poor plays today. Hopefully, he will learn to minimize the bad plays.

Not sure why people are complaining so heavily about MC. There are definitely other issues with this team, but it is going to be a grind 'em out year.

Mind you, I am just a guy on a couch with a remote.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from brknwing. Show brknwing's posts

root

Your on the couch with the remote and I am in my easy chair with a beer. LOL.
    Cassel definatley started very shaky, but like you said made some good plays but also made some poor descisions....at times he reminded me of Bledsoe....later in his career.....you know hanging on to the ball to long, not making his reads faster etc. but overall didn't look to bad. Still has a long way to go on the learning curve.....let's hope it doesn't take all season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[Quote]root

Your on the couch with the remote and I am in my easy chair with a beer. LOL.
    Cassel definatley started very shaky, but like you said made some good plays but also made some poor descisions....at times he reminded me of Bledsoe....later in his career.....you know hanging on to the ball to long, not making his reads faster etc. but overall didn't look to bad. Still has a long way to go on the learning curve.....let's hope it doesn't take all season.

[/Quote]

Technically, I was watching NFL Game Pass over the Internet, but I had beer too.

I will take this game from Cassell as long as he continues to improve. A lot seems more out of his control - from the play calling where the OC will only give him so much leeway to the line play. Of course, he needs to improve on making faster reads and understanding the mechanics of the pocket a little better - if TB could only give him him pocket 6th sense.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bikerdude38. Show Bikerdude38's posts

Wow most of you guys are awful hard on Cassel. Timing and pocket presences are things you develop in "real game time" not practice. This kid is doing well within the system that is the Patriots Offense. He has a good enough arm to get it to Moss, he showed that on the 63 yard-er. Pocket presence is his weakest area right now I think. It will take a good O Line and time for Matt to have a chance to improve that part of his game. Hopefully these next 4 plus games will be a learning time for him. The playoffs are coming and he will need to be at a higher level by then. For now, he has time to develop and I expect he will. But then, I have been making the koolaid for BB since '85.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon-sense. Show uncommon-sense's posts

WOW! Some people are crazy!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bikerdude38. Show Bikerdude38's posts

Thank-you !

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtbr1975. Show mtbr1975's posts

The critics on this board are pathetic. Cassell is doing pretty good, he's growing and improving with every game - yet you live to cut him down because he doesn't play at the same level as Brady.

Perhaps you'd all be better suited to rooting for the Jets, because we certainly don't need fans like this bunch around here.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyyy. Show mikeyyy's posts

[Quote]Cassel has zero presence in the pocket[/Quote]

Must look easy from the recliner . . . .

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Cassell actually played an OK game. I can see his improvement.

He has to stop under-throwing Randy Moss.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyyy. Show mikeyyy's posts

[Quote]

You need a better line. You've used that one already.[/Quote]

Not to mention he copied it from an interview with Cassell on CBS!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Wow, give the guy a break, his first INT was not his fault (he got hit 1 second before he threw it) and the other was a bad pass but ended up like a nice punt inside the 5. I like the fact we went vertical a little today and will make other Defenses not crowd the line. I will be going to SD next week and see the Pats in person and only hope they have a good day there also!!!!!!!! Go Pats!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Matt Cassell, nor any other QB, can step up into the pocket when the pocket has collapsed because of the defensive rush up the gut. Since the tail end of last season, and particularly in the Super Bowl, defensive coordinators have recognized the benefits of blitzing up the middle to prevent the QB, whether it be Brady or Cassell, from stepping up and into the pocket. Rushing from the outside proved ineffective because of the PATS reliance on quick release plays. In fact, the pocket collapsing from the inside rush was partially responsible for Brady's injury. As long as the middle of the offensive line plays soft, this will continue. If the offensive line can't stand stout, then Cassell had better learn how to roll out to avoid the rush.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 00chief00. Show 00chief00's posts

I personally don't expect him to be brady like, but I expect him to be closer to a jeff garcia, gus ferott type qb. Not flashy just effective.

The minuses to cassel so far, is when his first wr is covered, he seems to give up too quickly. A couple of those sacks were avoidable.

The pluses, he is gaining experience, and I hate to say it, he actually played better as the game went along.........

He is so jekell and hyde right now, one good play couple bad plays, rinse and repeat. Gonna be a rollercoaster ride this year for sure.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hmrstrm. Show hmrstrm's posts

Looks to me like they struggled with another cellar dweller, it's a good thing that the schedule is bereft of good teams. I hope the Chargers don't hurt Cassel...who would replace him???

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulK3. Show PaulK3's posts

Cassel's not quite that good, 33 pass plays out of 81 total offensive plays.

Not that bad either. Cassel rang up 13 passing first downs in this game. That's more first downs than some teams get total for a game. Essentially the Patriots defense was the weaker part of this game and Cassel, Maroney and company covered for them by keeping the Patriot defense off the field.

On second thought let's edit Maroney out, he was lousy. Faulk did good work.

SF seems to have had a policy of selling out the rest of their defense to sack the quarterback. They got five sacks but at a stiff price -- their run defense soon imploded into a doormat.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

wow, you guys never stop, forget about Cassell, how about the fact that was the best this team has looked in a few years. they actually dominated in the trenches for long periods of time, and they never did this last year with their Colts feminine type offense. yesterday we ran the ball down there throats, and yes it was just the 49ers, but we controlled the game once we got going. it was exactly the style i hoped we would have played even if Brady didn't get hurt. YOU DON"T WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS PLAYING FINESSE BALL, PERIOD! even the finesse 'looking' 49ers beat the hell out of the opposition in big games. i'm not saying this is a championship team right now, but this is Belicheck football, not last years fiasco where all the fans and radio talk was about 19-0 and great stats. yesterday was a pleasure to watch a team that played the game of football. Cassell did fine, and Brady didn't exactly look like a great QB the second half of the season and was terrible in the SB. no offense of line, no SB wins. yes we would be better with Brady, but all our great teams were physical and yesterday we were physical. we have a long way to go, and its not about blowing teams out on the scoreboard, its winning those close games where the other team knew they got physically killed and pushed all over the field, but because the score was close, they deluded themselves into thinking they could have won. oh, and one more thing, if maroney could see with Sammy Morris vision, finding the hole and just hit the hole, he would lead the league in rushing. once thru the hole his natural game would explode. Morris is a stud, and i believe we would have won last year with him being healthy. he is perfect for our running game, tough, and straight ahead smash mouth football.

Sections
Shortcuts