1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinniSoxFan. Show MinniSoxFan's posts

Meriweather on the rise

This kid is having a year right on par with ED REED. These stats have changed, as Reed had 2 picks today, and Meriweather had a sack, and they both obviously have more tackles, but still, WATCH OUT FOR THIS KID FOR THE REST OF THIS YEAR AND INTO NEXT YEAR!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=def&sort=int&league=nfl&season=2&year=2008

TACKLES MISC INTERCEPTIONS RNK NAME TOT SOLO AST SACK FF BK INT YDS LNG TD PD

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nastee. Show nastee's posts

Meriweather on the rise

What???

Do you even watch the games.

Ed Reed is a playmaker.

Merriweather blows. Branch scored with him "covering him" and TE Carlson was making him look like a fool. He doesn't know how to tackle or play the pass. He has a long way to go and having a play at the end of a game that any idiot can accomplish doesn't make you Ed Reed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Meriweather on the rise

Meriweather is neither one of your assessments. He is not nearly on the level of Ed Reed yet, but he shows potential. And he most certainly doesn't blow. Early in the game, he was beaten a couple of times, but do you really expect a safety to cover Deion Branch one on one and be successful? He shouldn't have been alone on Branch. Carlson beat a bunch of defenders, mostly linebackers. I think Meriweather will be a very good player.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Meriweather on the rise

I agree pyegian. Meriweather has progressed a lot since last year and I think he still has room to grow. He is not Ed Reed--not yet anyway.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinniSoxFan. Show MinniSoxFan's posts

Meriweather on the rise

Nastee: A little harsh. I'm not saying he's Ed Reed yet, it's only his second year. All i'm saying is that he's right there with him statistically this year, and that should give him enough confidence to just shine next year, as the third year is usually the breakout year for DB'S anyway.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Meriweather on the rise

With a player like Meriweather it's learning the defensive schemes and making plays. I agree that he will be better in year 3. That Safety blitz call was the kind we normally see Harrison play and it's kinda what I expected Pees/Capers/Belichick to call. Reed is already a pro-bowl player; I think that Meriweather has that potential, but he has to progress, not regress in order to achieve it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Meriweather on the rise

Meriweather is starting to make plays this year. Sack/FF yesterday was as big a play as Pats have made all year on D. He's going to develop into a bigtime player. He's no thumper, though. If Rodney can't come back a bone crunching SS would be a nice offseason addition.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from grego84. Show grego84's posts

Meriweather on the rise

You can't argue that meriweather has a lot of upside but he still has a ways to go. Always difficult to fill the shoes of Rodney but he has held his own. He needs to become a better tackler and learn to wrap up (case and point the Jets Dustin Keller's 3rd and 15 reception in overtime - he caught it about 3 yards short of the first down. Meriweather made the hit but the TE shook him off and go the first, ultimately leading to the GW field goal - rodney and ed reed would never let this happen). His 4 interceptions hints that he has the ability to make plays, something last year he was criticized for and his safety blitz to end the game against seattle was also a huge plus. His offseason this year will be key in his development and hopefully he comes to camp as the pats #1 safety we all expected him to be (i love rodney but you gotta be realistic). He still has a ways to go but next year will be the major indicator of how valuable he can be to this team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Meriweather on the rise

He's on his way up. The guy who said he's nothing to Ed Reed, well Reed is an accomplished veteran, give Merriweather time and we'll see. He may just end up on Ed Reed's level time will tell.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Meriweather on the rise

Ed Reed is great and many and I mean many people and experts have compeared Merriwhether to Reed and as good as Reed is can you imagine what he would be like if he had Belicheck as his head coach all this time instead Bullick? Well that is the oppertunity we have with merriwhether, this kid has all the talent you can ask for in a S and he has Bill Belicheck to coach him up, in a few years i honestly think he will be better the Ed Reed. he leads the team in picks, he is playing almost 100% of the games now that Rodney is out, he is always around the ball, and that sack for a FF was not as easy as stupid people like Nastee may think, have you ever even played teh game Nastee or are you just a moron who thinks he can do anything that a pro can do? do you really think any moron could have made that play? If so then why havent the Pats been calling it all year and getting the same results? Are you saying our entire Defense is filled with morons dumber then you who cant make a simple play? I didnt think so, if it was as easy as you say it was we would get sacks right up the gut untouched for FF's in every game but we dont cause its not that easy and the play Merriwhether made was a fantastic play and he gets the credit for making that happen. I would bet money this punk Nastee has never even played the game of football in his life.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

Meriweather on the rise

Merriweather is not in the same league has Ed Reed. I agree he's around the ball but can't tackle.He seems to bounce off ballcariers and can't stop anyone in thier tracks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Meriweather on the rise

m

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Meriweather on the rise

It is year two dwhite give the kid a break, Ed Reed was not the player he is now in year two but what we are saying is he has the talent and the coaching to be as good if not better then Ed Reed is.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rcasey28. Show rcasey28's posts

Meriweather on the rise

Do you mean Ed Belichick?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

Meriweather on the rise

[Quote]It is year two dwhite give the kid a break, Ed Reed was not the player he is now in year two but what we are saying is he has the talent and the coaching to be as good if not better then Ed Reed is.[/Quote]God I hope your right.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Meriweather on the rise

Merriweather indeed has the potential to be as good as Ed Reed. And it wasn't Billick who coached him up in Batimore, but Buddy's son. This kid has made great strides in his second year. Remember last season when he couldn't hold onto a pick even if he had used stickum? He does need to brush up on his tackling technique, but he's a great hitter. This guy will come into his own. I only hope they can sign him next year instead of waiting until he's ready to hit FA (and get Ed Reed money)! I still see a lot of mixed opinions on him here. But this guy is the future, and essentially Rodney's "replacement". If he improves as much in this coming offseason as he did in the last he's going to be a top tier safety. The defensive unit as a whole is going through some growing (and injury) pains, but there have been a lot of bright spots. Like Mayo. Not yet a pro bowler, but should be in his second year. Even though Deion burned Merriweather, I'd still say they did decent in the trade. Had they resigned Branch I doubt both Moss and Welker would be here now. I'm looking for good things from Merriweather going forward.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Meriweather on the rise

Deioni supposed to brun Merriweather. The fact that our SS is the best cover guy available for their best receiver tells us more about our cornerbacks.

Delta spent most of the game on bench . . a spot he has earned well BTW.

Deion Branch one on one with ANY safety, Polomalu, Reed, you name him, would burn them to toast . . that is why safetie are safeties and not CBs. They play better with the action in front of them.

Itis also why it costs twice as much to franchise a CB . . . giv ethe guy a break he gave up two catches the whole game to the two best receivers on the team, one was agreat move, and the other was a great catch n' throw by Carlson.

He also knocked a pass away on a crucial second down and basically killed a drive because the next play came up short.

Like I said, the area I would like to see the kid improve is getting off of blocksand wrapping people up.

I think he is far better free safety material, but Sanders is so much worse in almost every phase of the game that it isn't even an option.

Merriweather is the solution in our DB corp . . not the problem.

* This post brought to you by Taylor Mays for first round pick, in 2009 comittee. Because that would be the best FS/SS combo in the game and would goa long way to masking our young/bad corners.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Meriweather on the rise

Meriweather is a free safety playing out of position at strong safety. We need to draft or sign a legit SS who can cover tight ends. Meriweather is under 6 feet and might be 200 pounds with all his pads and soaking wet but is a ball hawk and a sold tackler in space. Harrison and Ed Reed are both over 200 pounds but more importantly hit like a ton of bricks... it's that simple.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Meriweather on the rise

Wozzy,

You and I agree.

You hit the nail on the head.

The only reason Meriweather is at SS/CB (LOL)is because he is the best "all around" talent in our backfield.

If we had a true SS he would be a FS. If anyone other than Hobbs could cover to save their lives, he wouldn't get a sniff of Branch in the endzone unless he was coming over the top to help.

200 lbs is a FS in the 3-4. That simple. As a 3-4 SS he is going to see 245lb FBs, 260lb TEs and 300lb linemen a LOT more often than a 4-3 SS.

I think picking up Taylor Mays (6'3" 235 4.42 40yd) would be about the best addition this team could hope for in the draft. If he is still available.

If not I would pass on Moore, because he is NOT in love with contact and is more of a largish FS type skill player. Although allof his ints in the Big-12 is certainly going to help him on draft day.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from northernhollow. Show northernhollow's posts

Meriweather on the rise

Being that Mays will probably go in the first 5-10 picks, barring some trade magic we're probably not going to get him. With that said, what about SS Patrick Chung out of Oregon, 5'11 210 and seems to enjoy contact.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Patrick+Chung

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Meriweather on the rise

I don't know that Mays is gone that early myself, but it is a possibility. You just don't know how draft day shakes out. And asied from that . . has Mays declared yet??

And yes, Chung is filthy. He isn't as large as Mays, but he is more athletic and face it . . the kid is a flat out beast in the box and out.

That play against Michigan where he takes out like half the offense should get him in the late first round alone.

I don't see how James Sanders makes the squad if they draft a kid like this. LOL.

My only concern is his size. 210 is a bit small for a 3-4 SS, so I wonder if he could shed the kind of blocks that Meriweather has trouble shedding.

And for anyone who hasn't seen the Ducks . . .watch that video. Just for fun.

Some lucky team will pick that kid up.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DayWooo763. Show DayWooo763's posts

Meriweather on the rise

I think Patrick Chung is plenty big enough to play SS in the NFL whether it's for a 3-4 team or a 4-3 team. The average size of all the SS that play on 3-4 teams is 6'0" and 211lbs. And the best of that bunch is a certain guy that plays for the steelers and he's listed at 5'10" 207lbs. This means that Patrick Chung really isn't that undersized if you think about it. With more teams putting smaller, quicker guys on the field in order to spread the defense out, it almost becomes an advantage to have smaller, quicker defenders to better match-up. There's no denying that Taylor Mays is a beast, but if the Patriots have to 'settle' to Chung, well, he's a heck of a player.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Meriweather on the rise

m

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Meriweather on the rise

Dayowoo,

You have a very good point. The NFL has been tending toward smaller players.

One of the nice things about Chung is that most draft boards project him to go between the 40th to the 60th selection. That means the Pats will likely have two cracks at him.

Like I said, he isn't as big as Mays or Harrison, but from the one Oregon game I have watched I would start him over Sanders fro day one. He is just a better player . . faster, tougher, stronger, and more instinctual.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DayWooo763. Show DayWooo763's posts

Meriweather on the rise

I also understand the desire for a true 'strong' safety. A guy that can play in the box on a consistent basis like Mays, but the fact of the matter is, our secondary has not played well enough to earn the luxury of having an athletic freak roaming the field as he pleases. Our corners aren't good enough to cover effectively with only one safety helping over the top. We really do need a guy who can drop into coverage more often than not. Although Harrison was a great player here for a long time, it was obvious that coaches had to help him out in coverage with differant schemes. Now he wasn't nearly as sorry in coverage as say Roy Williams from the Cowboys, but he was always a liability. What we need is two guys that can just flat out cover.

Sections
Shortcuts