1. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Mike Lowell: updates, negotiations, etc.

I think he meant convoluted, not covoluted OR covaluted (neither of which is in the dictionary). In either case, I agree with you that the Marlins will ask for too much. The Yanks do not seem to want to give up what the Marlins are asking, and they are more desparate than we are for a 3b. In part, Cabrera is nobody's solution at 3b anyway; and in part, the Yanks do not want to give up so much of their future and depth for one player (who may in fact have a short career if he does not lose the weight he has gained over the last two years).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

The Marlins don't have to do anything. Cabrera will most certainly be a Type A free agent when he leaves and they will get two draft picks for him.

TWO DRAFT PICKS ???? you are completely gonzo if you think that Fla. will waste this move on two draft picks. Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds ??

Fla has to make a move and they will. This their biggest market , not at the deadline when only contenders will be dealing. This kid will be dealt for less than they are asking.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

No chazz......that is a saying where I live and who cares anyway? And you meant covoluted....not covaluted.

convoluted is the word you are trying to correct

Walshy have you looked at Miggys stats ? He will be 24 on opening day . Bucholdz , Crisp, Hansen and the Draft picks will get it done . And I think thats cheap for a clean up batter for the next 10 years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfc. Show soxfc's posts

Here's a thought:

I work in Boston and love it more than anything else I've ever done.

I've been offered a great opportunity for a fair amount more $ in the 'burbs.

I'm going with my heart and saying no.

Mikey??

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

I hate A-Rod, but this is a moronic argument. The Yankees wouldn't have sniffed the playoffs without him on the team this year. Texas would have won about 60 games without him, their staff was among the worst in the league every single year.

Regarding Cabrera, agree that Buchholz, Ellsbury, Lester would be too much, but I would probably pull the trigger if they took out Buchholz. Theo needs to figure out how he is going to replace the middle of the order production of Ortiz/Manny in 2-3 years, Cabrera solves half the problem. You don't have many opportunities to land a hitter of his caliber at age 24, he can flat out rake.

Giving Lowell 4 years is lunacy, I hope they walk away if he wants more than three years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

Yeah sure, how about the fact that in '03 Texas' pitching staff allowed 5.98 Runs/Game ( 969 Runs - last in the league) and a year later allowed 4.90 Runs/Game (794 Runs - 4th Best) .

Was A-rod pitching in '03?

Again I hate the guy, but before you throw out Shaughnessy-esque lines, do some research.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjgbpd. Show jjgbpd's posts

I understand what everyone is saying about Mike Lowell... but he is prob going to average .280/20/80 for the next three years. That is obviously not that bad. BUT.... how can you pass on ARod. We obviously have the money after winning another world championship and we can afford 30mill for say 5 years. Everyone said Randy Moss would be a cancer to the Patriots, now they are saying MVP. No reason it can't be the same once ARod is in the clubhouse and our environment. We do need to look past 2008 and who is going to help Big Papi? I love Mike Lowell and will always be thankful for what he did this year, but I think the Sox should stick to 3 years and make a hard push for ARod if Lowell turns it down.

So... on another random note... Ellsbury and Buchholz for Johan?? I absolutely love Jacoby and how he plays... but interesting option. LOL

JJ

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I thought he said he 'loved' it here. Does that mean he only 'loves' it here as long as he's making the most money here?

It means that if he got equal contracts from other teams and from the Sox he would play here. If someone offers more money (and yes, $1M is SIGNIFICANTLY MORE), then he will probably choose to move on, and I cannot blame him ONE BIT. There is very little loyalty in this game; its a business.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

"BUT.... how can you pass on ARod."

This isn't intended to sound obnoxious, but if a team is going to spend that money, it better be on a player who also performs in the post season. I'm amazed that this hasn't come up more often.

IMO, he's the greatest player in the game and he'll break a lot of records before he's done. In that regard I hold ARod in high esteem.

But look at his post season numbers. In his past several ps appearances, he's something like 1-27 with RISP. It really doesn't matter who "gets" A Rod because they're only getting all of him for the regular season. I doubt that there's a fan alive who thinks A Rod has been even moderately successful in the postseason.

Boras wants him to collect more money in his upcoming contract than men like Gehrig, Ruth, Williams even knew existed. For what? The MVP award?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

I'm sorry Walshy, but that is such a strawman's argument. I think Pujols is one of the greatest players the game has ever seen, yet you put him on the Pirates and they would win what? 75 games? Does that take away from him as a player because "the only stat that matters is W-L"? moronic.

The 03 Rangers were terrible because they allowed 6 runs a game, you aren't going to win many games when you know you have to score 7 runs every night. That team was bad because their front office was incompetent, A-Rod constituted 25% of their payroll. $75mm was more than enough to build a contender around him (see Oakland), unfortunately for Texas fans their F.O. chose to spend it on Juan Gone, Chan Ho Park, etc.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

Lets try this again

So why did the Rangers win more game the next year?

Because they went from allowing the most runs per game in the league, to allowing the 4th least.

Why did the Mariners win more games the next year?

Because they allowed a full run less per game then the year earlier, had an MVP season from Bret Boone. Bounceback years from Cameron, Wilson, Olreud. Oh let me guess, the chemistry improved from A-Rods departure?

Why has Pujols been to two World Series and won one of them?

Because he's a great player, and has been fortunate enough to play with very good teammates, and lets be honest has had a bit of luck (that '06 team was one of the worst championship teams in memory). This doesn't address my Pirates example.

How can you argue the fact that no team he has played for has ever been to the World Series and how both of his former teams were better the year after he left?

See above

Why haven't any of his teammates in NY come out and asked the FO to keep him or even to support him?

I don't know if they have, I'm not Brian Cashman. Even if they didn't, so what?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

There is no way on earth that I want to trade either Ellsbury or Bucholz, and the only wiggle room there would be Bucholz if we could trade for Jake Peavy of the Padres. Jacoby? No way, no how, never, nein, nyet, no, no mas, zilch!!!!!!

Jake Peavy? when did he become available? You mean Johan? Haren?

I think I'd prefer to deal Ellsbury over Buchholz, Clay looks like a top of the rotation starter. I don't want to deal Ellsbury either, but you'd be stupid not to consider it if Johan or Cabrera are in play

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Wow, fred, that's harsh. But, you know? I agree with you. If Lowell goes to the Yanks for JD Drew money, and 4 or 5 years, I predict a poor first year (trying too hard to prove he's worth it) and complete disenchantment by the Yankee fans, especially if the Yanks fail to make the playoffs, which depend much more on the success of their young arms than anything Lowell can bring to the team (Lowell is an offensive downgrade from A-Rod, and may not be that much of a defensive upgrade, so it is a loss to the Yankees's chances to replace A-Rod with Lowell, at any price.

That said, the Sox have too much to lose in not signing Lowell -- vast amounts of money to overpay A-Rod to come here, or overpaying in young talent to get a WS caliber 3b replacement for Lowell, or a huge defensive hit if we move Youks to 3B and get some mediocre fielding 1b to fill out the offensive lineup. It makes no sense for the Sox to let Mike go. Therefore, I am still guardedly optimistic that Mike will sign before midnight.

If not, then I too think he will be gone. I just don't see him getting a round of bids and then having the Sox come in last minute and outbidding all the others. If the Sox were ready to do that, they wouldn't be playing hardball now. And even if Lowell wants to stay, when he starts getting offers from other teams, his agents will be sure he comes to his (money) senses and takes the best money deal.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

So basically, the Yankees included, A-Rod hasn't had the talent around him to succeed? That's hilarious.

Of course he has with the Yanks, but I think there has been enough blame to go around for those Yankee teams (see Jeter this year).

So answer this, if Pujols had been drafted by the Pirates, put up the same stats, but never made the playoffs. Would he still be one of the all-time greats in your estimation? Remember, you told us that when evaluating a player only W-L matters.

Players seem to come out and support the teammates they want around and that they think contribute some of the elements that go beyond stats. Many of the Sox want Mike back. Santana has said he won't even consider Minnesota with out Hunter and those are just the more recent examples that come to mind

I think the chemistry argument is the most played out angle in baseball, the Oakland A's teams of the 70's hated each other, yet they won 3 championships.

I love how "good chemistry" is always ascribed after the fact to winning teams, you never hear about a bad team with good chemistry. Surely that's possible, no?

I don't recall seeing the WS trophy being handed out to the guy with the best stats.

I don't even know what this means.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

I gagged, puked, and sputtered obscenities for awhile, but came to the conclusion that if Lowell betrays us we should go after A-Rod because he will be a tremendous hitter at Fenway Park. I don't like to say it but that's just reality. I just don't know if Theo is leaning that way or has something else up his sleeve.

I just think A-Rod is going to command too many years, can't imagine give him 8-10 years.

I'd prefer they go after Cabrera hard (Ellsbury & Lester if that' s what it takes), move Youk to third and slide Cabrera at 1B. As bad as Crisp was offensively this year, with his defense/baserunning he actually ranks favorably compared to his peers in CF (7th Win Shares, 9th in WARP), and I think we can expect a slight uptick offensively.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbfrogger. Show cbfrogger's posts

I agree will. damon and boras basically lied to management, claiming to have a 6 year 72 million dollar deal. I do not see lowell doing that. nor do i see a problem with him trying to get the best offer he can get. i think we as fans expect players to re sign because...hey how could you NOT want to play for the sox...forgetting it is a business...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Papi had a partially torn meniscus tendon ... what makes you think that his weight was related in any way, shape or form to the tendon being torn? That is not necessarily a weight related issue.

Yaz, the meniscus is not a tendon; it is a horseshoe shaped piece of cartilage the protects the cartilage around the upper and lower leg bones from rubbing against one another. About 25% of men tear the meniscus as a part of aging. This is called a degenerative tear.If you are not active, frequently you have no symptoms. You do not have to be overweight to tear the cartilage, but being overweight or continuing activities that cause the knee to be stressed (running, skiing etc) increases the chance that you will develop arthritis 10-15 years down the road. Another way you can tear your cartilage is the way Varitek did it last year-a traumatic tear from landing awkwardly while running the bases. The surgeon usually tries to either REPAIR the cartilage (possible in maybe 10% of traumatic tears, rarely in degenerative tears) or to save as much as possible since the more that is taken out, the higher the chance of arthritis later in life. Papi should be as good a new in the spring as recovery from surgery is almost always around 100%.

That will be $25....for each of you.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

There's more to the game than stats. Think of how incredibally robotic you look. Congratulations for spitting out number after number. Let's talk about numbers translating to success in baseball, shall we dip, sh*t?

Only one player in the last 19 years who has led the league in homeruns has been on the team that won the World Series. (Manny Ramirez)

Alex Rodriguez has appeared in the post season 7 times and has 0 World Series appearances.

Alex Rodriguez has a .159 average with 1 RBI and 1 HR in the last 3 postseasons.

Look at your first sentence, do I even need to point out the irony of this post?

And good god is this just about the weakest argument ever constructed. Did anyone say you needed to have the player that lead the league in home runs to win the World Series?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

Oh and by the way, every defense you've made for A-Rod points out one fact that completely betrays your whole argument: Pitching is more important anyway. If the teams A-Rod were on did poorly due to bad pitching and did better the next year, sans A-Rod, because of better pitching than it stands to reason that $25 million would be better spent on pitching than on one hitter. Thanks!!

Walshy pick a new sport, because you know nothing about baseball.

Baseball can't be distilled into simple cliches like "pitching wins championships", if that was the case the Braves would have a lot more championships.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

No I am not stupid for not considering trading Jacoby Ellsbury, and I would not do it no way. Let me just remind you what I have said all year......Jacoby is a very very very very very special player, the type of which comes along very rarely. He is the prototype leadoff hitter with blazing speed, a solid bat, great defense, a 50+ stolen base ability, a classy young ballplayer, great bunter and a winner. You do NOT trade a kid like this, no way no how. We would be regretting such a trade for the next dozen years if not longer than he plays. It would rank with the worst moves this team has ever made

I love Ellsbury but I don't care how "classy" he is , he will never be as valuable as Miguel Cabarera, and that's no slight on Ellsbury. Cabrera has a .930 career OPS in a pitcher's park at age 24. His top statistical comps according to baseball-reference through age 24 are Hank Aaron, Ken Griffey Jr & Frank Robinson. We're talking about a generational hitter here.

Before you cast Jacoby's plaque for Cooperstown lets see moe than 116 major league ABs

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

No they didn't. But restate to me what your argument is in favor of the Sox signing A-Rod again.

I don't even want to sign A-Rod, I just don't have my head in the sand when assessing his overall value to a team. The notion that his previous teams improve because he left is moronic.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from walterjohnson07. Show walterjohnson07's posts

As I've written before, Tulsa has the scenario down pat - it's all about negotiations. The Sox surely have a limit on how high they'll go and would reveal that IF Lowell comes back to them with his best offer. I think 4 years guaranteed is too much, and if a front-loaded deal with club option for a 4th is not good enough, the FO should move on.

It's too easy for NY to overpay, despite the fact that this strategy has not worked well enough for them to win a WS in years and they're stuck with high-cost, declining players (see Damon, Giambi, Mussina). The Sox should not compete with that philosophy...although with the new ownership regime taking over I would think Cashman would move away from this policy, and that of "let's poke the RS by signing their players," which sounds like All George. Again I ask, how did that work out with Damon?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaack. Show jaack's posts

i think that lowell ll go .. wont stay on red sox bec of greedy.. thats too bad.. look at curt s.. he willing to be fair in deal.. lowell want top pay thats why red sox wont pay top pay for third baseman

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from brianamoro. Show brianamoro's posts

so the sox gave J.D. Drew 5 years @ 70 million and he's had an often injured career but Mike Lowell is only getting a 3 year offer for a little more than half the money , that makes no sense he's 2 years older but that's not much

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from goznes. Show goznes's posts

No doubt Lowell goes to the Yankees. Sox will miss him but if they can improve their middle relief they will win more games that way. Try Youk but look for a good young player. Hey- it's all business. For a few dollars more...- seems there was a movie by that name. Maybe it's all Hollywood. Damon would be proud. Loyalty? Forget it. It was nice of Lowell to meet the fans and give them free food, but he would do the same for any other club. Nice personality is part of his appeal.