1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

Mike Lowell: updates, negotiations, etc.

Theo...if your reading this PLEASE... STEP DOWN!

I feel dumber for having read that horrid analysis. Sure the current F.O. has made some mistakes, so did John Schuerholz, Billy Beane and Branch Rickey.

They are directly responsible for just about every player on the WS roster save Manny, Youk , Tek & Lester.

They have turned one of the worst farm systems in the game to one of the very best, and won two world titles and 4 years, yet you want Theo to step down? asanine

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slimdrumplus. Show slimdrumplus's posts

We all want Lowell back but a 4 year contract does not make sense, pay a handsome five year deal to Miguel Cabrera and hit the jackpot... We love Mike but he is not a kid folks1

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oldeli. Show oldeli's posts

Hope you're right, but remember how Theo broke up the 2004 team, made some very questional moves ( Renteria, Lugo, Drew, Gagne, etc.) and was really lucky to make it back in three years, let's be honest. We need middle relief, a back-up catcher, and either a new face at 1st or 3rd if Lowell doesn't come back...otherwise, don't break up a winner

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jharri3870. Show jharri3870's posts

Lowell is part of the grit, determination and glue that makes the Red Sox the RED SOX. Give him a 4-year deal and keep the glue intact.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

Hope you're right, but remember how Theo broke up the 2004 team, made some very questional moves ( Renteria, Lugo, Drew, Gagne, etc.) and was really lucky to make it back in three years, let's be honest. We need middle relief, a back-up catcher, and either a new face at 1st or 3rd if Lowell doesn't come back...otherwise, don't break up a winner

Very true, man was he also lucky to draft Pedroia, Buchholz, Ellsbury, Papelbon, Bowden, Lowrie, Masterson, Kalish, etc. Pure Luck!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

I believe the Rockes are on record saying they won't move Atkins

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crimedog33. Show crimedog33's posts

Only in Red Sox Nation can we slam a GM who has brought us two world championships in the last four years!!!! We may question some of Theo's moves, but you can't argue with the final results! Only time will tell whether Lugo and JD are busts. Yes they struggled this year, but both played pretty well in the WS. Don't forget that letting some of our stars go in the past has brought the Sox some damn good prospects - i.e. Jacoby and Clay. So stop panicking. I'll be the first to say the Sox should resign Lowell, but if the don't, the sky certainly isn't falling!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

Anyone found audio of Aubrey Huff's interview with Bubba the Love Sponge? sounds absolutely brilliant

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

I think they're considering moving him to 2B

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rpn123321. Show rpn123321's posts

Okay, okay, Lowell is a good player, they really got a steal with him "thrown" in the deal for Beckett. He made 9 mil this past year which is good money for the numbers he put up. Now think about it for a second, A Rod is available and on the market, M Lowell is on the market. A-Rod is going to demand a record contract regardless. A-Rod doesn't want to return to yankee stadium. Now, with that in mind, if The Red Sox offer Lowell a nice 4 year contract worth quite a bit of money at his age. Think about what it does for Rods Contract negotiations? Now what if Lowell just doesn't want to be in Boston and leaves, remember we can't just assume a player always loves Boston and every player wearing a sox uni actually wants to be a Red Sox. So hypothetically he rejects the 4 year deal, gets a ginormous deal from the yanks even bigger, and now we are stuck with what? Having to deal with ARod who is going to command a $%^ load more money since the price of Lowell got driven up so high. I think this has all been a tactic to just get the arod deal not blown too far up if they can't get Lowell resigned. If neither works out, just put Youk back at 3rd, and sign Sean Casey- he is a good hitter, not for power tho.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

The Red Sox under Theo's watch have been faced with this same question in the past and it seems they have come up with the right answer almost every time. They didn't want to give 30+ players more than 3 year deals, Pedro's arm fell apart 1.5 years into a 4 year deal, and Johnny Damon couldn't even play centerfield in the 2nd year of his 4 year deal while also dealing with leg injuries most of the year.

Toughest thing for management to do is not get emotionally attached, as fans we can. I have to side with Sox on this one. While I'd love to see Mike Lowell back at 3rd next year, I don't want to see a 38 year old Lowell hitting .240 w/ 12 hrs 68 rbi's in 2011. Its the same fans who will be critical of Theo for letting Lowell get away, that will bash him for signing him to a 4yr deal and watch him struggle for the last year or 2.

My only question is for Lowell, if he feels he'll still be a productive player at the end of 3 years, then why not take the 3 years Sox are offering, if he so enjoys playing in Boston, and enter free agency again. You know his numbers will be better playing in Fenway than most anywhere else he signs. He hit .376 there this year. Sounds like he feels this is his last big payday.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from edukates. Show edukates's posts

red sox should have offered another year deal at the same money or a 4th year discount of a few mil. This assumes he likes it in Boston. If he doesnt like it, then he should go no matter teh offer, if he likes it, then the question is what can you do with a few more mil really?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pappy. Show pappy's posts

Look at pedro, damon etc. Theo's outlook is solid regarding older players. He may be wrong on this one but, Based on past performance I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

If I had my way I'd resign the first baseman from tampa. We had him once, he's from Haverhill and he'd love to come back.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mascmen7. Show mascmen7's posts

Now you are talking. You are much better than Theo and Larry at making these decisions. Theo seems to think 4/40 is the least he can pay any player no matter a tramp or Latin lover.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mister77. Show mister77's posts

I think this deal is all about the 4 year deal-that's what Lowell wants-if the the Sox lose out on this guy-it will be hard to replace his input in the playoffs-if he ends up with the Yankees-it could be another 100 years for the next World series win for the Red Sox-I hope I am wrong!! The Sox are an dynasty right now - Hope they don't blow this opportunity. A-Rod is the answer for a short term but not in the playoffs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mascmen7. Show mascmen7's posts

I live in Marlins territory where the Marlins play in a huge coliseum. Lowell would usually fly out at 430 feet which would be a homer or off the wall at Fenway. The stadium makes a big difference to a fly out type hitter.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mascmen7. Show mascmen7's posts

Cabrera is now so fat that he cannot bend over to pick up ground balls so is committing lots of errors. Do not give away our farm system again. Remember rookie of the year Hanley Ramirez whom we gave up for Beckett and Lowell?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronniepol. Show ronniepol's posts

Lowell wants a 4 year deal--Boston wants to give him 3.Fifteen million/per is the number everyone seems to be bandying about.I can't believe Theo would let Mike go without at least upping the number to 16 or 17 mil/yr.Three years at this price would be 48-51 mil.Throw in some incentives ala Shilling's deal and we're not that far from the 60 mil (4 yrs. x 15 mil/per) Lowell is looking for.

ronniepol

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Dan Vegas

Interesting post , absolute speculation. The most fit athlete I ever saw blew out his career in one play. Bo Jackson. Mo Vaughn slipped into the dug out. Tony C got hit in the eye. Any deal made with this kid would have a weight clause . lets see ... can you argue against .320 40 140 in Fenway by this 6'4" tub of lard because that is the LOW side of what we can expect with him hitting 6th in our lineup.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

foolish enough to trade Buchz and Ellsbury

Vic Balogma,

Please tell us who on this board suggested trading Buch AND Ells for anybody. ?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Do not give away our farm system again. Remember rookie of the year Hanley Ramirez whom we gave up for Beckett and Lowell?

Your right that was a BIG mistake

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from deemo5. Show deemo5's posts

Theo gets paid the big bucks because he knows what he is doing. He traded Nomar one of the most liked players in Boston and won a world series. Who would have thought that was a good idea at the time. He let Pedro and Lowe go and everybody groaned, both have done nothing since leaving. As much as I like Lowell I like the two world series more, so I will trust what Theo and the rest of the Red Sox decide to do this season. These guys have made great decisions in the past. Everyone wants to beat Theo up for the JD Drew signing but he did turn it around at the end of the season. He should do better next year after having a year to get used to the AL pitching. I'd stop worrying about 3rd base, I'd like to see The go after Santana, he's young and one of the best pitchers in the game. Lester, Crisp, and a couple other prospects would be worth it if Minn. would go for it. Imagine Beckett, Santana, Dice K, Shill, and Buchholz as your starting five next year. SCARY!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjgbpd. Show jjgbpd's posts

I find it interesting on everyone who thinks Theo will be stupid to let Lowell go. Lowell told the Sox if we offered him a three year deal, he would stay. The sox wanted a two year deal, but agreed to go to three. Now Lowell wants four. In his defense, he should ask for it if he wants, he deserves it. I do not think the Sox should give him 4 and pay through the age of 36. Lowell is not a career .321 hitter with 20 homers and 120 RBI. When he bats .280 next year with 20 homers and 80 RBI everyone will complain about him.

ARod is the best player in baseball. We offered Lowell what he said he would take. If we only offered him 12-13 million per, raise it to 14-15 for THREE years. If he says no, best of luck. Put ARod with Papi and Manny and watch us win another world series. Everyone said "Don't sign Randy Moss, he is a cancer". Now those same people say "MVP, MVP". Put ARod in our clubhouse, he'll be fine, and we'll win another world series if pitching holds up.

I say kudos to the Sox if they don't sign him to 4. Everyone was mad in 2004 when we let Pedro and Damon go. Well people, we got two people named Pedroia and Buchholz for letting them go. Sox know what they are doing.... just trust them and stop complaining about everything.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lionheart. Show lionheart's posts

What "deal" exactly? We simply aren't privy to the talks and politics of the negotiation process, because *none of us* were in the room when they were happening. To say that Lowell's agents can't be brought into the discussion would be assuming that Lowell has no use for them whatsoever, and quite frankly, is not reality-based. Real Estate agents would rather sell a higher priced home than a lower priced home. Simple.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

3 @ 45 that's the magic number for me , any more and kiss him goodbye. If he is still playing well at 37 then maybe an incentive option for the 4th year. If he was to pass on that type of deal then so be it.

Check his lifetime stats , good, but the chances of him repeating 07 are slim. ARod as a consolation prize is OK by me. Miggy in a trade is a dynasty.

Sections
Shortcuts