1. You have chosen to ignore posts from woobie2. Show woobie2's posts

Mike Lowell: updates, negotiations, etc.

I think Lowell will be "reasonable" and the Sox will have to still overpay a bit ... they should have tried to sign him up at the All Star break. He is the best out there - ARod is a joke for a variety of reasons, not the least of which he is "commanding" $30/million a year for 10 years MINIMUM to begin talking! I'll overpay for a leader, gentleman and a quality third baseman before I spend a nickel on a jerk like ARod.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

Hopefully he stays and doesn't demand to be overpaid.

I suspect Lowell will be asking to be paid fairly ... However, I also suspect the Yankees, who by looking to fill a hole for themselves could at the same time create one for us, will play a huge role in deciding what is "overpaid".

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan84. Show redsoxfan84's posts

The Angels pursued Tek in 2004...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan84. Show redsoxfan84's posts

Varitek and Boras wouldn't even open negotiations with other teams until the option of coming back to Boston was resolved.

Tek wanted to be in Boston, but other teams were interested including the Angels ... they never got much of a chance because Boras wouldn't talk with them.

To say he had no other options is not accurate.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan84. Show redsoxfan84's posts

Everyone's sitting back waiting for Lowell to file for free agency, I think this inital offer will force the issue. If the offer stinks he may file tonight. If he doesn't file tonight that may be a good sign ... I hope.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Lowell has filed for free agency (along with Timlin) so it's not going to be a slam dunk. A bit of work yet to be done.

HFX ... how do you know that? Has it been publicized anywhere? I had not heard that Lowell filed yet

OOPS ... guess you can disregard this. Thanks for the post Theo.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pemliza. Show pemliza's posts

Reading that information did not make me one little bit happy. In fact, it sort of made me feel a little sick to my stomach. C'mon Theo!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pemliza. Show pemliza's posts

Yeah, I know we have exclusive rights through the 12th. I was just hoping that it would be a quick, easy thing to sign him.

FWIW, I've decided I don't like the motions...

...but, you were right about Schill, so I'm going to trust that you're right about Lowell as well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pemliza. Show pemliza's posts

Hey Theo--welcome back. Where in Europe did you go?

I hope the "other" Theo just hurries up & gets it done with Lowell!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Hi there Theo!

No, I live in CA....a little far to come into town on short notice. I get a lot of time off from my job, but I have to ask for the time off 4-5 mos away. I was there in spirit.

I agree that not signing Lowell would be very unfortunate. Lowell has to do what is best for himself and for his family though. Its a business. I hope that does not mean him ending up with the Yankees.

As for starting pitchers for next year, I think that Clay is ready for prime time, as is Lester. They may need a little on the job training, but if we can provide that, we can have a very impressive starting five-Beckett, DiceK, Lester, Schilling, and Clay (in no particular order). Wakefield should NOT be in the starting five, IMO. And with Tavarez as the long relief guy, I am not sure why Wake was even resigned. Hope that works out.

Not sure what to do with Crisp. If we do trade him, he is guaranteed to have a career year somewhere else. He does not have much trade value right now....its a tough decision. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Of course, no matter what Epstein does with him, I reserve the right to complain about it.......Kidding of course

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobwal. Show bobwal's posts

Just put yourself in Mike Lowell's position. He looks over at JD Drew making $70 million and Dice K making $52 million. Lowell has produced more big hits this season than Drew has in his entire career. I'm sure the Sox will try and convince Mike to take the old "hometown discount" like Schilling, Oritz and Wakefield did. But why the hell should he? He was the MVP of this team this year. If the Sox had more faith in him they could have signed him over the All Star break. But they waited, and now Lowell will probably be gone.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In the end I think his wallet will be more important than being loyal to the Red Sox.

As it should be. Like it or not, this is a business. I sure hope that Theo can come up with a reasonable offer that is competitive with the others Lowell is sure to receive. While I would love to see Lowell at 3B for 3-4 more years, I would never blame him for splitting for the money.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjodon7. Show kjodon7's posts

I know he loves playing in Boston, but money is the main objective for all baseball players. In the end I think his wallet will be more important than being loyal to the Red Sox.

Which is why I wish there were more players like ol' Curt -- came back even though he could definitely have gotten more money elsewhere.

A very refreshing thing to see, just when you start to think it's all about the money, and loyalty means nothing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

Hopefully you are correct ...

Lowell to me is the kind of guy that makes those around him better players ... Now that we have Schilling back and the rest of the core team coming back as well, it seems to me logically by bringing Lowell back you have to 2007 champions ready for 2008.

By simply re-signing Lowell, having Ellsbury a full year in CF, and hopefully the Drew and Lugo we saw at the end of the season the guys they can be all season, next year's team is already far better than this year's team ... Not to even mention our young pitchers (which is a great reason to bring back Schilling for one more year!!!!!)

Don't mess with sucess ... Lowell is a class act and deserves to be treated as one ... We will not overpay for him, but we should be the highest bidder ...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

Hey CP, Theo, Pem & Pumps. Long time no see. What a year it has been in the Nation.

Awesome to see Schill back, I bet his velocity is going to be back up to 92-93 with the better conditioning and healing of the shoulder. The rotation is again set up for success.

I hope Sox sign Lowell, but if he slips away, I think it's going to be OK still. Don't get me wrong, I desperately want to see Lowell back, but sometimes realities could bring too much disappointment - just preparing myself if the worst happens.

They need to get rid of Lopez, Gagne will go by himself. Need some more hands at middle relief.

And the bench. May be Coco will be a bench outfielder, expensive of course. I don't see that happening. Management would not waste his talent on the bench. They will trade him to a team that will play him every day a la Dave Roberts.

Bench needs strengthening, and need a good BU catcher to groom as succession plan for Tek.

Having despised Magadan all year, I have to apologize. The bats were just out of this world since game 5 of ALCS. May be he will have a better regular season next year.

So, where did you go Theo. I will be making a huge trip myself next week - UK, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Finland and Switzerland. Back in time for Thanksgiving. Driving in UK is going to be an adventure.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

I think Lowell will be hard pressed to produce anywhere else like he did in Fenway, although the Yankee stadium may be OK for his pull shot, though not like in Fenway..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

But if weÆre talking $60 million over four years for the Red Sox to retain their third baseman, well, thanks for the memories. Three years, $36 million? Let's talk. Theo, I think that it will get done for somewhere in between these numbers. It will probably be a four year deal, or at least three years with the fourth as a team option or a year laden with incentives. Lowell likes it here; and I am not sure that a lot of teams would be willing to compensate him better than we can and will. I think the deal gets done within 7-10 days. Just a guess of course, but I cannot see the Red Sox allowing Mike Lowell, WS MVP to leave without offering top dollar to him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Cheers, AROD is not going to get $30M from ANYONE now. He is viewed as a plague upon whoever he plays for. He did himself some serious damage when he chose game 4 to announce that he was opting out of the Yankees. He is a publicity hound who always has to be #1-bigger than anyone and anything around him. He is, to be sure, a great ball player; but he is a loser when it comes to personality. He will make less now than he would have had he stayed on the Yanks team, even with his agent BORA$$

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

Neat, I will be visiting same places.

Gagne hurt us big time with his performance, cost us the 1st round pick. Wish Tito didnt play him in all those close games, and we may be seeing a Type A FA.

I had proposed a 6 man rotation this past season in these same threads. I am glad Theo is considering. It may not sit well with Beckett, may be it will. It sure helps the entire rotation. 162 games is a long season, I am sure the rest of the SP will thanks that 17% reduction in games pitched. Becks can make up going longer in his starts.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Cheers, I have no issue with the Yankees in this matter, though overall I despise your team as any good Red Sox World Series Champs fan should. The problem is squarely on the shoulders of AROD and his money grubbing agent BORA$$. I would lay money on ACLOD losing some of his value with how he handled this.

The Yankees had a great team once. And the Greeks once had a great civilization. Its past now. Get over it. The Red Sox are the champs again and have the talent to do it to you over and over again. Get used to being beaten like a red-haired stepchild.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from marknolan1. Show marknolan1's posts

What kind of offer should they make to Lowell ? Wouldn't it HAVE to be more than what JD Drew was able to bamboozle out of them ? How about 46 million for three years ? He'd be nuts to turn that down.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zippyboro. Show zippyboro's posts

"he Yankees had a great team once. And the Greeks once had a great civilization. Its past now. Get over it. The Red Sox are the champs again and have the talent to do it to you over and over again. Get used to being beaten like a red-haired stepchild. "

^^funny I don't really recall being beaten "over and over again" by the Sox last season. You are world champs and deservedly so, but that fact remains that you did not prove to be successful in beating the Yankees in head to head competition last season. We all know that the real competition is in the AL east. That has not and will not change.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from walterjohnson07. Show walterjohnson07's posts

Gentlemen,

Much ado about nothing (Susie). A fanatic shouting into the wind, quickly forgotten.

The Hot Stove is heating up, fellow heathens and barbarians!!! :- />

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zippyboro. Show zippyboro's posts

Yeah, I know... it just amuses me how there will always be RS fans that have selective memories... but I guess being WS champs gives you the right. You are the team to beat and I actually think it may benefit the yankees to be underdogs going in to 2008. Toronto could be a force as well. Makes for a good hot stove season!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pemliza. Show pemliza's posts

Hey Theo, sounds like a beautiful trip. Glad you got to have some fun in spite of the business.

It is officially chilly in Idaho. It's in the mid 30's at night & the high 50's to low 60's during the day. You can tell that it's turned to fall. even when it's in the 60's during the day, it's got the bite of cold in the air. The wind has turned cold as well. I'm hoping it stays like this for awhile. I'm not at all ready for winter.