1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamalot23. Show jamalot23's posts

Mike Lowell: updates, negotiations, etc.

That could very well be the most logical thought out post I have seen on this whole topic. Thank you for making my headache go away after reading the endless clueless posts regarding Lowell, Damon, Lugo, and Drew.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

well said cclgh,

I thought this was a great quote from Keith Law in a recent chat :

Keith Law: Teams won't learn - it's too much of a reactive industry, reactive to media pressure, reactive to fan pressure, reactive to internal pressures. The Red Sox are unusual in that they just don't care. They don't care what fans say. They certainly don't care what the radio guys say or the writers say. They have a plan and they stick to it. It's a sort of useful arrogance.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

I think they might move Ellsbury if it yielded Cabrera in return.

I think Ells is one of the most electrifying players we have , contact hitter, good glove and can make things happen on the base paths. The consummate leadoff hitter. which is why I think Fla . would trade Cabrera for him . It would be a good trade for both clubs . Both are 24

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lsterne. Show lsterne's posts

To those who accuse Mike Lowell of being greedy, I ask how many of you would leave $20 million on the table? If the Red Sox offered $36 million for 3 years and he thinks he can get $56 million for four, that's what we are talking about. No, he doesn't need the money, but I'm sure there are plenty of family members and worthy charities he can help. I think Mike Lowell has been a huge addition to the Red Sox. He's a great third baseman, a clutch hitter and a great teammate. Yeah, it's money the rest of us will never see. But who said this was the real world? Given the money the Red Sox have thrown around on a multitude of players that haven't performed, Lowell is a relative bargain. Sign him Theo! None of us want to see him in pinstripes next year!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

these are the newbies, the pink hats... the post grady bandwagon fans and others who have no common sense

Agreed, these are the same people that wanted Bellhorn benched in the '04 ALCS & Pedroia sent to the minors in May. It's the Shaughnessy-reading, WEEI-calling fanbase that are only comfortable in the warmth of the herd.

I just laugh when I see these "SIGN MIKE LOWELL" declarations, sure I'd love to, if it's a reasonable contract.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

. You've said repeated times that Ellsbury and Buchholz are the starting point for discussions

Walshy , You are the ONLY person that has posted that. IF I posted it I'm sure you would have cut/paste to make your point. You do not add much to the debate and when you fabricate as you are today I have a hard time believing anything you post.

C

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from entesquire. Show entesquire's posts

Unless Lowell overules his agents..he is likely gone...

Here's why...

1.the Yanks and Dodgers (and likely several others) desperately need help at 3rd base..both the Yanks and the Dodgers teams can afford a 4 year deal in Lowell's price range.

2. Lowe'lls agents just made a $52.4million 4 year deal with the Yanks for Posada....and Posada is older than Lowell. You don't think there we discussions in that negotiation about Lowell??? Of course there were....wink...wink!!

3. the Yanks wasted no time snapping up Johnny Damon when Epstein gabe them the window. The Dodgers could do the same...it took them about a an hour to decide to go after Joe Torre and make him the highest paid manager again by far in the majors (along with his expensive coaching staff)while they still had Grady Little under contract. and Torre became available.

4. How could Epstein not believe that Lowell can get four years at $13.5 million..it'll happen in a heartbeat...???? The Yankees have already signaled that deal by making the Posada deal!

5. What Epstein should have done to make this all work...is take a lesson from Schilling...give Lowell the 4 years at $13m and change, but make the 4th year based in part on some incentives with an 8-10 million base...Lowell would have taken that deal before the deadline...now...unfortunately he's likely GONE!

What a shame! Why can't the Sox show some appreciateion for solid hard working players who bring them the rings!

I am out!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

but trading one of them for a player like Cabrera would be a coup.

Thank You

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pad1255. Show pad1255's posts

Many people thought it was a mistake to let go of Damon, Pedro and Lowe and they forthe most part are right. I think the world of Lowell... a class act and always plays hard...but there is a reason they don't want to go 4 years. Can we also stop talking about the signings of Drew and Lugo if they were not signed last year you would cry that the Sox did nothing... and guess what the Sox WOULD not win the series without those 2.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankdawg. Show frankdawg's posts

The deal should already have been done. Sometimes it is correct to take management's side ie AROD. But in this case, here's a guy that is a player, works hard, doesn't complain, is well liked, etc. etc. Now give him what he wants.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

You want Cabrera? Ok, what prospects do you want to give up for him? Have you ever read the reviews about Cabrera? You think Manny is lazy? Cabrera has been hammered by coaches since he was in the minors about his lack of hustle and desire to play. No doubt he has great talent, but he basically has Manny's "Manny being Manny" attitude with Drew's lack emotion and desire - what a great combo!! Let's give him a 5-year $100M deal (because that's what it will take to sign him)!!! Remember, this was essentially Cabrera's contract year because he knew he was going to be traded. So, what did he do? He porked up to the point where he HAS to be considred as a 1B or DH longterm. But this is the guy you want to give a longterm deal instead of Lowell? Ok, you are the god of baseball knowledge.

For all I care he can play Parcheesi in the dugout if he keeps putting up these numbers: 320/401/565

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Off to the office ... Final Thought

3 @ 46 mil for Lowell IS IT ENOUGH ?? I think that is Theo's ceiling !

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Cabrera is worth Ells or Buch but not both

Is that clear enough for you Walshy . Please let me know if you would like me to include sub titles.

You apparently love the Sox and REALLY love to post here. Please be accurate

Thanks C

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeye4. Show joeye4's posts

The namecalling is indicative of low mental capacity. Simply, the sox and thier fans love Lowell. A fair offer was given and it seems he wants to see what the open market will bring. Go slow and see what happens. If he signs with the Yanks they are getting another older player to go along with a team of mostly older players. I dont want him to go but I understand that what has worked with this team is to make a plan and stick to it. Being emotional is not part of that. I trust the Sox to do the right thing for the team in the long run which is what we all want. I hope he stays but if not we need to move on to creat another team that will win another championship in the next few years. Doesnt it feel great to be able to say that. I guess they know what they are doing.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannymoe69. Show dannymoe69's posts

JWl444,
    I am not surprised by your lack of reading comprehension. I said you had a mancrush on Lowell, and I never stated you said anything on it.

Yes, Ill take arod for 10 years and 300 million. He is the best baseball player in history, has basically NO injury issues, can play ss, 3rd and 1st. Once he can no longer play a base, he can be the DH for the Sox, and will be on the Red Sox when he breaks Bonds homerun record.
    You really think Lugo was a good addition to the team?(states by jwl444)
    NO! you stated he sucked, and I said that he really didnt. Lowells contract has NOTHING to do with lugo.
    Drew sucked during the regualr season, YES! but he also had alot of family issues and he also needed ot get used to ther AL. The same way Beckett had to, same way DICE k will.. Drew was CLUTCH in the playoffs/world series! You are too dumb to stay on point.. Drew-bad year, over paid, yes.. Now what does that have to do with Lowell? You know nothing about baseball. You think Lowell is the best ever because he was good here, well he isnt, he is a good 3rd. He will never see cooperstown. Get over him.

Ill take Cabrera, and Ill bet he will be able to be had for alot cheaper than lester. buckholtz and whoever. They are testing waters. You mention Cabrera, needing a great year, and what FACTS do you give, you give his weight! you moron! look at his stats! And ill take youk at 3rd and miggy at 1st over youk at 1st and lowell at 3rd at his agi.. Miggy is the best, young powerhitter in baseball.. get a clue.. Lowell will hit under .300. wont have over 100 rbis.. not in Yankee stadium, not in Anahiem, etc.. really, get a clue, buy a boom, read a newspaper... Lowell isnt worth a 4th year at 12-13 million.
    Ill bet you were yapping 3 years ago when we HAD to take lowell in order to get Beckett! hahah everyone was sooo pissed we had o OVERPAY lowell to get beckett. now all of a sudden, Lowell is untouchable! hahah u make me laugh.. keep listening to D and C. they are the only two mental midgets who could support your flawed logic

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

no more: "well, the Yankees signed Posada for 4 years and he's 36...". please, i beg you.....

C'mon Vince, they also signed Pavano & Jaret Wright to killer contracts

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rockingredsox. Show rockingredsox's posts

I do not think so. I have great suspicions that the Levinson brothers only discussed "lowell" in general terms with the Yankees while neg. Posada's contract. I think last night, even last week Lowell knew exactly how much the Yankee offer would be in terms of money and length and I think like with Damon the Sox are well aware of the fact the Yanks bend the rules to get that info to FA's and they refuse to play the bidding game.

I also think based on remarks Hank S has made about his own players he is as classless and unprofessional as his father and will also go to any lengths to win a WS and again I think the RS management are aware of this and refuses to budge when players dangle the Yankee's pocketbook at them. Afterall look at how well it worked for Damon, he's making a fortune hurting the Yankees!

I think it comes down to where Lowell wants to play, and how much money he is willing to accept. Yes he is the WS MVP but a half a dozen guys could have taken home that award this year, and based on his age I think the Red Sox offer was fair and smart.

That said I would rather see them throw the years and money towards a young kid like Cabrera or even A-Rod, yes A-Rod, because anyone who thinks Manny is staying beyond this season is nuts and there are very FEW players who can replace Manny's bat and play the field. We have a long term DH so we need a A-Rod next season or a budding A-Rod like Cabrera.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

Letting Orlando Cabreoro go after the 2004 year was a mistake (read " how many shortstops have we had since that haven't matched his skills in the field and at bat?) and although Dustin Pedroia was in the wings, Mark Loretta was another class guy that provided depth.

Team chemistry played a huge part in the rebounds from 3 - 0 in 2004 and 3 - 1 this year. How can one think of diluting it? What message does it send to the rest of the players and the fans. Is loyalty a one way street?

You can have the team of class guys, I'm sure we can swing deals for Kevin Millar and Sean Casey.

I'll take the best players, even if they don't rescue as many kittens from treetops.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannymoe69. Show dannymoe69's posts

Pepere,

There is no loyalty in sports. This is business! Loyalty= taking a 3 year, 12m/year contract from the Red Sox. Why do you only see it Lowells way? IF Lowell was loyal, he would resign, with a hometown DISCOUNT! I got news for you Pepere, Ted Williams is dead, Cy Young is Dead, and the great Bambino is dead, and so is loyalty between teams and their players. If you do that, you will not win. Lowell is a really good player, but much like the patriots, the red Sox have a VALUE for his services. Lowell, to Theo et al, isnt worth a 4tth year, a year that will probably have him coming off the bench etc. This isnt a personal attack by Theo, is was a decent offer for a player not HIGH on their value sheets. But please, stop all this emotion!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Cabrera in Fenway 2008 .320 .... 40 .....135 And I am being conservitive.

Miggy being Miggy ? so what ! I'm already accustomed to this sh!t . I have learned to live with it.

It's funny

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannymoe69. Show dannymoe69's posts

AMEN!! thank god for some reality!...

Way to Post rockingredsox

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from gadfly. Show gadfly's posts

The Red Sox are fools not to sign him. The financial risk in a Lowell over a 4 year period is tens of Millions (maybe hundreds) less than a extended contract for A-Rod. If they are committed to a 3-year contract that makes their biggest exposure at year 4. The difference between $12 Mln and say $14 Mln is peanuts in the scheme of things whereby A-Rod at $30 Mln jeopardizes future free agent signings.

I say the proper comprimise is a 3 yr. contract with an option on the 4th year. They could even go creative and make it a player option at $12 Mln and a Team Option at $15 Mln to address the concerns over the value of Lowell in year 4. I mean, after all, how much do they expect Lowell to degenerate vs. A-Rod at $30 Mln plus at ages 38, 39, 40, 41 or 42? Bonds held on as long as he did because of Steroids and he still can't play year round.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannymoe69. Show dannymoe69's posts

Chaz, thanks, and thats a conservative forecast. It would suck to give up stud prospects, and i dont see the sox going this route(until they drop asking price) but its an option. I would rather see them trad coco, lester and buckholtz for yohan santana, but thats me... if you have beckett, santana, dice k etc as ur front 3, the opposition doesnt have much of a chance come playoffs

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

You cannot put a statistical measure on leadership, this will be a huge fatal error not giving Mike the 4 years. Even if his skills taper off, you have a man who ties together the latin and white guys and has an incredible calming effect on the rest of the hyperactive infield. It will be the mistake of the decade. Stats are garbage when they lead to the loss of a guy like Lowell. Give him the darn 4 years! The Yanks gave Poseiden (LOL) 4 years, and he will certainly fall off faster than Mike. C'mon, use your heads for once instead of your stats and wallets. Mike makes Lugo, Pedro, and Youk better ... put a price on that first, then go to those damn stat sheets.