1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannymoe69. Show dannymoe69's posts

Mike Lowell: updates, negotiations, etc.

No, the sox would be fools to overpay each player that DOES HIS JOB!!!! Until this year, the majority of fans liked Lowell, but thought he was an overpaid THROW IN. Now they want to sign him until he is 40.. he is older than arod, he is 1/2 the player of arod, he is a cancer survivor need I continue? IF he leaves, he left for an extra year. Whoever signs him, will NOT get the red sox Lowell. His production is based on the green monster and hitting behind two of the best hitters in baseball.. Yankees have who? giambi? matsui? damon? he will hit 280 and 11 hrs, 85 rbis, because thats the type of player Lowell is..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gadfly. Show gadfly's posts

Did anybody take note of who Pedroia credited yesterday for his RoY award? Lowell was one of the guys he credited with turning him around from the dismal start. Do you really think A-Rod would have found the time or the desire to do the same?

Lowell not only played great on the field (to his credit) but he also elevated another on the team to a great level. How good a season and post season would the Sox have been had Pedroia struggled all season?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

You cannot put a statistical measure on leadership, this will be a huge fatal error not giving Mike the 4 years. Even if his skills taper off, you have a man who ties together the latin and white guys and has an incredible calming effect on the rest of the hyperactive infield.

You guys are unbelievable. It sounds like we're wasting his talents playing baseball, he clearly should be our ambassador to Cuba. Even Castro can't resist the Mike Lowell patented "calming effect". I've actually replaced the beach sounds I listen to when sleeping with Mike Lowell's voice, true story.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

Lowell not only played great on the field (to his credit) but he also elevated another on the team to a great level. How good a season and post season would the Sox have been had Pedroia struggled all season?

Rumor has it he also cured Polio

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gadfly. Show gadfly's posts

Danny, Lowell was an overpaid throw in when we got him in the trade. Nobody knew enough about him to know otherwise. He certainly has not lived up to that title since coming here and actually playing in Boston. Do you think that these past years Lowell has not earned the salary he receives (relative to League Salaries)? If A-Rod is a $27 Million Dollar third baseman how can you claim Lowell is overpaid at $9 Million?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from transfer. Show transfer's posts

I agree the sox if they don't change the way they look at players will lose one of the best thrid basemen on the market. The yankees just signed psoda for four years 52 million and if you don't think they will give lowell the same or more are someone is crazy. My opinion is he will be worth the money and will be a benefit to the club in more than one way. Lowell is not to old or losing anything so sign him.

ekearns

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dtam83. Show dtam83's posts

i think the sox should sign lowell on their terms. i don't think they should be nervous about it and overpay. i just hope lowell will not just be in it for the money

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannymoe69. Show dannymoe69's posts

2007, yes, this year was the first time Lowell hit over .300 in ANY SEASON!!! OBP was his highest in his career. No, Lowell was NOT a 9 mil a year 3rd base UNTIL this year. That does not mean we have to sign him to a longer contract because of it. He didnt give any money back when he hit 284 last year did he? ARod is also overpaid.. I agree.. but if i am going to overpay someome, its going to be arod! arod is the bets player in baseball, maybe in the history of baseball!! please Gadfly, look at the numbers.. look at the difference in statsm injuries, etc.. its not close..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gadfly. Show gadfly's posts

Define overpay....Nobody seems to have a clear number on what overpay is. Is it 13 Mln, 14 Mln, 15 Mln? By all rights, the Red Sox agree that it is not 12 Mln. If Lowell is not signed teh Sox are faced with signing a $30+ Mln/year contract for A-Rod taking A-Rod well past the age Lowell would be after 4 or face giving up multiple young prospects to sign Cabrera, and/or face moving a Gold Glove first baseman to his lesser skilled 3rd base position.

Since there is most likely no No trade clause the Sox can always opt out with a trade of Lowell in the next 4 years if they are so inclined.

Just don't overpay for Lowell what ever that price may be.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

BTW milloy, in case I didn't tell you last night.......well done. I brought an opinion, you and diot brought the facts. I've never said I was the smartest poster on the board and I'm more than willing to be proven wrong, which I was last night!! As I said, I don't bring much in the way of statistical analysis so I appreciate your knowledge and insight. I was disarmed by the facts and some well timed sarcasm!!

Well done to you sir, it's refreshing to see somone who is open to a different point of view.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mumbles. Show mumbles's posts

If Mike's agents would be reasonable and allow him to take a 3 year deal....it would get done. But, given Mikey's age.....the Sox are not going to give up a 4 year deal. And..........A-Rod is waiting in the wings. Lets face facts, as great as Lowell was for the Sox this season...he is not A-Rod. Just imagine A-Rod in the lineup with Ortiz, Manny....Pedroia and Drew (if he looks like the Drew of the post season). My guess is that the Sox brass would feel that the big money A-Rod is asking would be worth it given his numbers and age. And, A-Rod wants to be here.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gadfly. Show gadfly's posts

Danny, what's the appropriate salary for a .284 BA? How many batters this year hit below .284 and took home more than 9 Million?

If $9 Mln is too much for a .284 average how far off is $27 Mln for a .314 average and which becomes the better bargain? BTW..How was Mike Lowell as a defensive player? How is his range? Who is a better defensive third baseman Lowell or A-Rod?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dtam83. Show dtam83's posts

i define overpay as what yankees offer - 10%. so if the yankees are willing to do 4 yrs at 15 mill a year, don't do it for more tahn 13.5 mill a year. i think the years is the major problem here. i think 4 yrs might be too many years and the risk might be too much. lowell is loved in boston, but he hasn't been loved that long. with someone like a wakefield, vtek and maybe even schilling, you can throw in an extra year just because he's so loved and has done so much for the team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gadfly. Show gadfly's posts

Anybody that wants to talk age remember....A-Rod is ONE YEAR younger than Lowell. If Lowell is an old man what does that make A-Rod?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

This is his last contract and he will do the best for himself and his family. Being prudent that means finding out what other teams will offer. (I'm sure the Red Sox won't take their offer off the table if nothing else materializes.)

The Red Sox didn't make a mistake. They could have thrown 5 years at him and he probably would wait to see. It's all negotiation.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mumbles. Show mumbles's posts

You are thinking with your heart and not your head. A-Rod may be a "jerk" as a Yankee. But as a Red Sox he could be one of the most prolific hitters we've ever had here. His demands will soften unless Torre can convince McCort to go for him possibly. The Sox can afford A-Rod. They are one of only a few teams that can. Believe me, if Lowell's agents convince him to walk away from the 3 years being offered here. A-Rod will be a good possibility. And if it does happen (a very BIG if), you won't think he is such a jerk when he's smashs 50 or more homers for the Sox.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wyeliab. Show wyeliab's posts

I believe Lowell will go elsehwere. I think the Sox made the right offer based on the track record for 3rd basemen his age over the last 20 years. The could maybe have given a club option for the 4th year based on performance. Look at Lowell's stats away from fenway, he was an average player that was helped by a career year and the Green monster...if he goes elsewhere how would he perform. Obviously he is going to get the term and money he wants from another club and I feel will end up like Damon when he went to the Yanks and Pedro when he when to the Mets. Thanks for the year Mike!! Looks like we will visit our friends the Marlins and get Cabrera from them to fill the void at 3rd.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Team chemistry wins World Series. I don't think you can mess with that and not pay the price. That is what you are paying for by keeping veterans like Lowell.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mascmen7. Show mascmen7's posts

Losing Lowell is standard Theo practice. Low ball him and then blame the player. The Johnny Damon case is an example. Sox balked at $13 mil a year. Offered $10 mil-Yanks took Damon away. To replace Damon the Red Sox spent a fortune and gave away prime prospects who will haunt Sox in future for failing to pay $3 mil a year. Prospects lost are worth far more than $3 mil a year. Theo puts a value on a player but is so dumb he does not consider the REPLACEMENT COSTS! Oh to be young and stupid again like Theo.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

Milloy, you are one of the few who isn't listening. Besides you and one other poster no one on this board is willing to trade Ellsbury under any circumstances because, unlike you they know what a player he is, and we do need a good leadoff man for the next years who can hit, run and steal bases

How about a guy that puts up a 400+OBP 35+ HRs? Does that have any value? It's just a stupid stance to take. I'd trade Jacoby Ellsbury for Albert Pujols in a heartbeat, it doesn't mean I'm denegrating Ellsbury as a player. Nobody should ever be untouchable.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mwesterfield. Show mwesterfield's posts

I'd hardly call Lowell greedy - all players want to get the best deal they can, and so would you. It's not "disloyalty" for a player to leave the Sox when he gets a better deal, any more than it would be disloyalty on the part of management to let him go if he what he wants exceeds the parameters they set for age and dropoffs in performance, which has worked pretty well for Theo and company to date.

The Yankees just overpaid to keep Posada, who is bound to drop off significantly well before his 4-year deal is up. They're choosing to do this, I think, because they have no other options at this time, and Jorge is a Yankee lifer.

They might well do the same with Lowell - he started in their organization, after all. They can also afford to overpay more than any other team, but that doesn't mean much when a player who has lost it and can't be moved because of the bucks, like Giambi, becomes an albatross and a waste of roster space that weakens the team.

The Sox need to stick to their guns, as they often have in the past. Surely they were right about Damon, who wasn't even a centerfielder last year.

Westy

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Fred,

I guess I am the other poster . I would give Ells for Cabrera in a heartbeat. Cabrera is not a maybe, he has 4 1/2 years of numbers that say he is hands down the best 24 yr old hitter in Baseball. No GM in the game would argue that he does not have 'triple crown ' potential. If you would like to debate this

En Garde

Worst case scenario is that he ends up in NY

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from woobie2. Show woobie2's posts

Perhaps, but this town will be all over him (and rightfully so) if he's being paid $30 million/year and bats .189 in the playoffs. In the last four years, as I am sure you have seen, he has batted in 0 runners in scoring position and has driven in 1 run (himself) in a meaningless homer. "Mr. Summer" can go to the West Coast - when you need him most he's MIA. When you committ over $300 million to one player, an obscenity anyway, you have the right to expect performances like we got from Pedroia (under a million a year) and Mr. Lowell (less than half of Pay Rod's asking price per year).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from xthirdimpact. Show xthirdimpact's posts

I agree with your frame of mind,...but not,...all your....periods that you....used to separate...youre sentences...and not proper grammar.....maybe its an "engineering thing",...i dont ..........know.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dragonhunter. Show dragonhunter's posts

In addition to Mike's value to the Sox, which is considerable, what value should be placed on not allowing the Yankees to aquire him?

Sections
Shortcuts