1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lionheart. Show lionheart's posts

Mike Lowell: updates, negotiations, etc.

What "deal" exactly? We simply aren't privy to the talks and politics of the negotiation process, because *none of us* were in the room when they were happening. To say that Lowell's agents can't be brought into the discussion would be assuming that Lowell has no use for them whatsoever, and quite frankly, is not reality-based. Real Estate agents would rather sell a higher priced home than a lower priced home. Simple.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

3 @ 45 that's the magic number for me , any more and kiss him goodbye. If he is still playing well at 37 then maybe an incentive option for the 4th year. If he was to pass on that type of deal then so be it.

Check his lifetime stats , good, but the chances of him repeating 07 are slim. ARod as a consolation prize is OK by me. Miggy in a trade is a dynasty.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mascmen7. Show mascmen7's posts

Red Sox this year would have been pathetic without Lowell and no better than Toronto. We carried several no hit first teamers Crisp, Drew, Mirabelli, Varitek, Lugo so without Lowell and Papi there would be no wins. Manny was horrible for first few months..Youkilis hit .236 after All Star Break but perked up near the end of the season. Remember how all of you were pining for Jermaine Dye in July because the dead sox could not even score a run or two.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mascmen7. Show mascmen7's posts

I believe Lowell wants to see what offers he gets before deciding on Red Sox.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from macmax. Show macmax's posts

A-Rod ... this ownership group and Theo have wanted him for years. The Lowell negotiations were merely posturing. This group wants to dominate baseball for the next 6 years, and A-Rod is a huge part of that vision. Mike Lowell isn't getting younger, and he's not A-Rod in terms of production and the impact offensively. Boston would be crazy not to go after him.

I love Mike Lowell, dont get me wrong, but you arent buying what already happened, you are buying what you anticipate, and A-Rod is a sure bet. He is the best offensive player in the game, maybe of all time, dont tell me that you dont seriously entertain the notion of getting him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

Red Sox this year would have been pathetic without Lowell and no better than Toronto

speechless. they could have played Alex Cora at 3B and won 90 games

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

I heard about Carter , quite a stick.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwaymark. Show fenwaymark's posts

Mike Lowell was invaluable to this team in 2007, however, he probably had a career year and if the Bill James numbers point to declining production over the next 3-4 years then the Red Sox will (and probably already have) offer him what they believe he will be worth over that time.

The prediction system has been pretty true to form as we have seen from Pedro and Damon. The management will not overpay for mid-thirties talent. I'm still confounded they put out the dough they did for Lugo and Drew. And having blown a few free agency signings, even Theo admitted right after the Series that acquiring free agents to strengthen a team rarely is economical or productive.

As for Lowell being a great clubhouse presence, so was Damon and we have done fine without him.

I like Lowell alot, but from a business standpoint he is not worth more than $13 mil/annum.

Some think A-Rod will replace him, maybe, maybe not. Either way this team will be a championship contender because of PITCHING, not Mike Lowell.

I believe Theo is not making any big moves because there is no need to do so. This team, even without Lowell, is in position to win it all again next year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

That's a lot of logic . Are you sure you want to stand by that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallacethegreenmonster. Show wallacethegreenmonster's posts

I am more and more convinced watchingboth the moves the Patriots and Red Sox have made over the last severalyears that making your team sustainable for more than a one year run isall about allocation of the resources and never caving in to the desireto resign one of your own players who have unwavering contractdemands. The Red Sox have gotten a lot luckier in the guys theyhave not signed than the ones that they have singed over the last fewyears: Contreras, Pavano, Damon, Pedro, Lowe, etc. The facts arethat if the Sox bring up Joe McEwing or Bobby Scales and let MikeLowell go to the Yankees people will yet again panic all offseason butwill then settle down when Boston is running away with the divisionbecause they let Lowell go and found a way to come up with a couplepower relievers no one has ever heard of.

The biggest thing that burns the teams like Bostonwith JD Drew, Lugo, and even more the Yankees is the obsession with thebig names and big offense when in fact the productivity one gets fromguys you've never heard of is often just as high.

I bet if you asked Joe Torre if he could have hadeither A-Rod in the lineup or Ron Mahay out of the pen in the 2004 ALCSto get past the Red Sox he would take Mahay 10 out of 10 times.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

Sadly it's all about greed....Certainly Lowell isn't being any more greedy than anyone else connected with MLB.... I mean come on.......Does it make any sense that any of these guys get paid more than the President of this country?? Does it really make sense that you need to take out a mortgage to take your family to a ball game??? The name of the game IS GREED!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from denheels. Show denheels's posts

Um Theo went to Arizona for Thanksgiving to talk Curt Schilling into coming here....Schilling on the Red Sox is ALL Theo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamalot23. Show jamalot23's posts

Yo Einstein if Lowell goes to the Angels who exactly would the Sox be bidding against?????? In that scenario we might get him closer to 20mill per than 30mill per. He wanted to take a pay cut to come to Boston last time too, but the union nixed it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

Sadly it's all about greed....Certainly Lowell isn't being any more greedy than anyone else connected with MLB.... I mean come on.......Does it make any sense that any of these guys get paid more than the President of this country?? Does it really make sense that you need to take out a mortgage to take your family to a ball game??? The name of the game IS GREED!!!!!

How is Lowell being greedy? He is seeing how the market values his services, much like you would if you were switching jobs. Regarding player's salaries, it's all supply/demand my friend. If you don't like it, don't contribute to the demand portion (buy tickets for Fenway, watch games on TV, et al)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mascmen7. Show mascmen7's posts

WITH LOWELL GONE IT LOOKS LIKE A-ROD IS IN TOWN FOR GOOD. Prefer he play shortstop. Get a 3rd baseman.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

WITH LOWELL GONE IT LOOKS LIKE A-ROD IS IN TOWN FOR GOOD. Prefer he play shortstop. Get a 3rd baseman.

Why does everyone assume we'll land A-rod if they pass on Lowell? I just don't see it, if Lowell walks I think they make a run at Cabrera or plug in a temporary stop-gap.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from gabootwo2006. Show gabootwo2006's posts

Too many reasons for the Sox not to sign Mike Lowell.

1. A team leader on and off the field. Perfect team chemistry guy to have on the team.

2. Can be the big bat when needed in the lineup as shown this past year.

3. If the Red Sox don't pick up Manny's option years, there will be a gaping power hole in lineup without Lowell there to be a fill in for Manny after next season.

4. His average was about 100 points higher in Fenway than on the road this past year. He has the perfect Fenway swing.

5. Worth pennies on the dollar as compared to ARod and what he wants with better results in the playoffs when it all matters.

6. If he goes elsewhere and the Red Sox look at Cabrera from Florida, it would cost the team way too much by way of young promising prospects.

7. If he goes elsewhere and the Red Sox put Youkilis at third, who plays a decent enough first base and can hit for average out there that won't cost the Red Sox a fortune. That is unless the Red Sox are interested in this player and they can get him without giving up too much.

Nomar Garciaparra, 1B--Los Angeles Dodgers

Posted: 04:34 PM - Nov 9, 07
    Dodgers willing to trade him....This rumor was last updated at 04:34 PM - Nov 9, 07. The source of this rumor was MLB.com.

The way I see it. The Red Sox have to put a 4 year contract out there for Lowell to sign. Red Sox offering a 3 year deal now, Lowell wants 4 years. Theo, please don't be stupid and please sign Lowell now and give him what he wants. If signed, I highly doubt he will disappoint Red Sox Nation with his play. As pointed out, the other options are just too costly to the team.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ozachmondae. Show ozachmondae's posts

Info, Manny and A-Rod are work-out buddies in the offseason.

Info, Lowell will probably be with the Yanks next year in a park he's only hit 3 HRs in the past 4 seasons.

Info, A-Rod at $252 mil for 8 years isn't bad, Manny will be gone eventually and then they can begin staggering the ages and create a good team for decades to come.

Info, A-Rod will pay himself off. He is on mark to hit 800 - 900 home runs. People will come to see him be the perennial 40-60 HR guy he is. He loves the short porcha nd hits tons out of Fenway.

I agree that he should be moved back to SS, but if he works hard, which he does he can get a Gold Glove at 3B, too. Not only that, his legs will experience less damage over the years and make him more of an offensive force.

Scenario: Youk, Ortiz, A-Rod. Youk can cover 3rd Ortiz at first and A-Rod DH -or- A-Rod 3B Ortiz 1B Youk DH. You do not need to have the same defense every game and this preserves the health of all three. You don't even need to change the order.

Projected batting order:

Ellsbury
    Pedroia
    Ortiz
    A-Rod
    Manny
    Drew
    Youkilis
    Varitek
    Lugo

This order sports protection and speed at 4 seperated points of the lineup.

Lugo, Drew, A-Rod, and Ellsbury all have running capability perhaps 20+ SB each if the Sox are aggressive on the bases, which would be possible in the scenario.

A-Rod would have tons of pressure taken off of his shoulders with a slugging pair around him and can hit to his top form, there's no weak spot as I project Drew and Lugo having .280 -.300 years as they become accustomed to Friendly Fenway and its Green Monster.

The Sox can AFFORD A-Rod, and he wanted to be here in the first place, it's not the spotlight that hurt him, it was the lack of support. He can't pitch for a team, get off his back, let him play here.

BTW, I don't think any Red Sox player would object to that, Lowell or not.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mascmen7. Show mascmen7's posts

A-Rod, Manny and Papi are Dominicans, Manny and A-Rod work out together here in Ft Lauderdale in the winter. Papi would love to have A-Rod in Boston.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mascmen7. Show mascmen7's posts

We do not want the prima donna Nomar back. Since he gave up steroids he is always injured and cannot hit. I watched Dodger games and Nomar was horrible and did not play much of the time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mascmen7. Show mascmen7's posts

You do not know the marlins owner Jeffrey Loria of New York. One of the most horrible owners in MLB history. I am in Miami so hear all the dirt Loria causes. He will want the entire Sox farm system for Cabrera. The thinking is that Dontrelle will be kept and Cabrera will be dealt.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mascmen7. Show mascmen7's posts

His friends Josh and Mike are on Sox roster at present.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

It's not good business to allow NY to fill a huge hole in J. Damon. We lose a valued leadoff hitter - they gain one, which allowed Jeter to cop an mvp. It's not good business. NOW, SUBSTITUTE LOWELL FOR DAMON. The mistake is two-fold. GET IT?????

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from duckman. Show duckman's posts

First, I'd like to say that is I'd like to have Lowell play for the Red Sox. That said, a 3 year deal at $12 million per for a 34 year old 3rd baseball, who had the best year of his 10 year career is good for Lowell. If Lowell can get 4 years at $15 million per, great for him...I don't think the Red Sox should pay him that kind of money...Now, we go to the "what about JD Drew therory".....We all agree that Drew's deal was stupid and shouldn't have happen, so 2 wrongs don't make a right.....So far Theo has been right in Damon, Pedro, Nomar....Good job Theo, you're won a world series and had the best record in baseball. Keep up the good work..