1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

Mike Lowell: updates, negotiations, etc.

Sadly it's all about greed....Certainly Lowell isn't being any more greedy than anyone else connected with MLB.... I mean come on.......Does it make any sense that any of these guys get paid more than the President of this country?? Does it really make sense that you need to take out a mortgage to take your family to a ball game??? The name of the game IS GREED!!!!!

How is Lowell being greedy? He is seeing how the market values his services, much like you would if you were switching jobs. I believe that if you go back and re read my comment above you will see that is exactly what I was saying. Why settle for 13 or 14 million a year, if 15 could be available? He (and any other free agent) is simply seeing how much he is worth on the free market. Regarding player's salaries, it's all supply/demand my friend. If you don't like it, don't contribute to the demand portion (buy tickets for Fenway, watch games on TV, et al) Which is exactly what I do my friend..... I can no longer afford to contribute to the supply side of this demand..... I sit at home watch the games on TV. Attending a game at the park to watch a game has become at best a once a year birthday treat.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

We don't really care as long as we win. I refer you to the NE pats.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamalot23. Show jamalot23's posts

It is not Steinbrenner #### it is Albert Einstien that I called you. In reference to your idiotic comment that if Lowell goes to the Angels then we will get in a bidding war for Arod. Well EINSTIEN which team/teams would we be bidding against if the Angels are out???????????????? Not sure how I can spell it out any more clearly so even you can understand. I also stated that Arod was origionally slated to come to Boston for Manny and he wanted to take a huge paycut to do so. The union nixed the deal. I am guessing he will be willing to take less to come here again just to finally be rid of playing on the old and fading Yankees. Posada for 4 years and big money is a classic Yankee move. Just like 4 and big money for Damon was. The funny thing about Damon is they were bidding against themselves on that deal per the usual. Keep signing the mid 30's washed up superstars. ROFL.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Tut, while signing Arod may smack of this notion, the Sox brass seem to model themselves much more after the Braves way of doing biz. They build superlative pitching through shrewd scouting/drafting, and sign superstars when needed but not to an excessive degree like the team in the Bronx. Papi was signed on the cheap remember as no one, and I mean no one wanted him after Minnesota did not resign him at the finish of 02. Lowell at 9 mill was something a team like the sox can absord because of our "big market status" but unlike the Yankees who just threw a combined 100 plus mill for a 36 year old catcher and a gasp, 38 year old closer, the sox mngmt is way too smart to make these sentimental stupid moves. If the Yankees sign Lowell for 60 or 70 million maybe it works out. Recent history suggests otherwise and if Lowell decides to take the 3 years and come back, obviously I would welcome him back with open arms. On the other hand it is hard to fault a guy for taking an additional 24 or 34 mill! Any one of us would do exactly the same thing in the same situation. I know we overpaid for Drew, but I think we all need to sit back in 08 and see if maybe the guy is more comfortable next season. Maybe he wins us over.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

Hi Thirtysomething,
    Ahh we meet again!!! :-)) I enjoyed our other discussion on basically this same subject..
    Yes you are correct that our Presidents do cash in more after leaving office than while in it.....My reference to the President ( meant as only one example ) was more to suggest that we have here a situation that places very distorted values on things.
    I am as thrilled as all of us that once again in our lives ( I am a 50 year sox fan so I am well beyond thirtysomething:-) ) the Sox are World Champs......I remember thinking back in 1967 when to Sox made it to the first WS in my lifetime, that I had never even allowed myself to think that in my lifetime they would ever even play in a WS.
    However, thrilled or not, after a few days of feeling so good I asked myself so how else does this change my life??? The simple answer was.......It doesn't..... While decisions made by our leaders, or our doctors, or our kids teachers have so much more direct influence each day.....Yet to us, they are not worth a small fraction as much as these ballplayers....... Hmmmmmm........
    I guess for me as these salaries get so high, and the costs involved to even buy souvenirs become so great, I am beginning to question it all more and more...... Certainly it's a personal decision for all of us who have the means to afford it, but for me, I can no longer justify contributing to this run away problem. I am now basically part of the 20% you reference.
    Your comment about the wealth divide is right on.......If you recall our previous discussion I was voicing my concerns about MLB making outrageous as well as reckless, long term obligations for itself by chasing guys like ARod..... Again IMO MLB is fast approaching a wall here..... As our economy slows, as energy prices rise, as taxes soar, as the cost of buying groceries ( Have you done that in the last year and not asked yourself when did everything get so expensive??) as the stock market slows........What happens to more and more of that disposable income??? In my case at least it is no longer there to help MLB pay for it's foolish commitments to guys like ARod.. I suspect in the coming years the 20% you refer to will be quickly growing to 30& 40% or even higher.
    I am not against free enterprise at all. In fact I strongly support it......But just like the sub prime loan problem, too much of a good thing is usually bad.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Fred

the offer I would make is Buchholdz, Crisp, and someone from Pawtuckett , with the Sox picking up all or most of Coco;s contract for Cabrera. That way we hold on to our young prospects [Ells] and the Skinflint Marlins get a good CF in the package. Keep in mind that we get YOUTH in return.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chausettesrouges. Show chausettesrouges's posts

Yes, you are absolutely right. Now the Yankees are talking to Lowell. Didn't the Red Sox learn ANYTHING from some of the previous debaucles when we let free agents get away? And of course, the Sox will now talk to the ultra-expensive, ultra-egotistical, ultra-maniacal A-Rod, who would be poison to this team, and they're willing to meet HIS demands??? This does not make sense to me. If not Lowell "because the price is too high," then certainly not A-Rod, because the price in both monetary and emotional terms are way too high. To say that I have been appalled by this whole thing would be an understatement.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mdjohnson18. Show mdjohnson18's posts

have we learned nothing from the likes of Pedro Martinez and Johnny Damon....older players searching for long-term contracts...do we really want to pay lowell for four years to get two years worth of production....I love lowell and think he is a tremendous clubhouse guy, but the Patriots have proven time and time again that professional sports is a business, emotions should not come into play during contract negotiations, and players that are getting old should not be given contract extensions due to the sentimental value placed on them by the fans.....i.e. willie mcginest, lawyer millow, ty law....all great players, but players that have done absolutely nothing since they left new england...players that were on the downside of their career.....if you think lowell is going to continue producing the way he did this year for the next four years then you have not been paying attention to professional sports over the past five years....

all of this being said, make a fair offer for arod and make it clear to boras that if he is simply looking for top dollar then he can continue playing for teams that are never going to win anything.....

i agree with comments made earlier about Epstein not being consistent in his signings....he made the correct decisions in not signing Damon and Pedro, then turned around and gave an aging Lugo $30 + million......however, Epstein and his staff have done a tremendous job with restocking the farm system....remember this was a very depleted system just a couple of years ago....you can't win them all...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdm98. Show kdm98's posts

This is AROD's dream situation. If Lowell wasn't on the market, he wouldn't get nearly as much. Lowell is going to command $20 mill. AROD will say he should get 30. Sox could sign Lowell and then AROD at short and jack the tix by another $5, because it would make everyone forget the '27 Yanks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mascmen7. Show mascmen7's posts

Prediction only:

Lowell gone, Cabrera not possible as entire farm system will have to be given to Marlins (art dealers such as Loria can not afford to own a baseball team), A-Rod in at SS. Tejada moves to third.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from chausettesrouges. Show chausettesrouges's posts

Sorry, Fred, it's too late for me NOT to become psychotic over the Lowell situation. I'm already there. You make several very interesting--and valid--points. It is, indeed, a debacle. Thanks for your insights. I agree with you practically 100 percent--and it IS time for Theo to get his proverbial you-know-what in gear.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Fred ,

I just heard that ARod has PERSONALLY contacted the Yankees and wants to sit down.

Good news ! We might get STUCK with Mike .

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dehud. Show dehud's posts

it just seems clear that Lowell is going to seem more valuable to someone else than to the Sox. it is a cold business despite what the Sox say and despite what Lowell says.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Back to square 1 with 1 caveat . The pressure has just been turned up on ARod 500% .

If this guy thought NY was tough before " he aint seen nothin yet "

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chausettesrouges. Show chausettesrouges's posts

Fred--You hit the nail on the head! Even the Hollywood writers who are on strike couldn't have written THIS script! I'm so glad to read something on this blog where the person looks at things rationally and understands what's going on!

By the way, note to the Red Sox: I am unemployed (my job was recently eliminated), so if you need help with your negotiations, give me a call...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Culo-Grande. Show Culo-Grande's posts

I hope A-rod stays in NY then Lowell comes crawling back to the Sox and they send him packing. I cannot stand greed. I hope that after Lowell rejected the Sox last offer, they tell him to f-off.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dizzyesasky. Show dizzyesasky's posts

Wood_Dogg*, I have been a "true" Red Sox fan probably a lot longer than you and I don't want A-Rod.

Big money players who falter in big games are not worth their money, they are detrimental to championships. He is not a youngster, how many rings does he have? Give me "clutch" guys any day who may not get the "numbers" during the regular season. Mega stars sap the energy out of a team when they don't come thru in every big at bat because the team depends so much on their "numbers". There is a reason why "numbers" guys like Griffey Jr, Bonds, A-Rod, Sosa, etc. don't win a lot of championships. Besides that , I hate the p_ssy!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3496418. Show user_3496418's posts

Here is a typical production curve for a major league hitter according to Baseball Prospectus:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/images/2842_01.gif

Even three years a bit of a strech, four is just stupidity.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

As a private tutor, I charge as much as $3000 per student per year (a bargain, given the difference I can make for a hard-working student). Yet I work with even fewer students, and make less than I did before. Judging from how well written and reasoned your posts are I am certain you have made a positive difference in most of your students

In contrast, the Red Sox touch the lives of millions of fans. Five million? Ten million? You can cover the team payroll with only $15-$30 per member of Red Sox Nation. Collect $50 per fan and the team is rolling in dough.

We spend more as a society on education than we do on entertainment (please correct me if I'm wrong, haven't researched this). But we also employ many more people in the industry. Thus the earnings PER EMPLOYEE are much lower. I am certain without the research that we do spend more on education. My comment is meant to only question the misplaced value we as a country place on sports. I am sure ( again without doing the research) far more male adult RSN fans can tell you how many HR's Manny currently has than tell you the name of their Congressperson for example.

Have you done that in the last year and not asked yourself when did everything get so expensive??

I am at suspicious that certain chains are taking advantage of the real cost increases to pad their profit margins. You might check out some smaller chains to see how the prices compare? But yes, we're looking at a 25% increase across the board when shopping at Shaws. To be honest here in CT. I am seeing it everywhere. I would love to know what the real rate of inflation is!!!!!

What happens to more and more of that disposable income???

It is likely to be concentrated in the hands of fewer people. Exactly!!!! Families that once had a little extra may soon be pressed to pay for their mortgage, credit card, groceries, heating oil, and gasoline bills. In any recession, the poor suffer far more than the wealthy (who have much of their money invested outside the country anyways). I agree but I fear we are headed beyond a recession. I fear we are nearing a basic more permanent shift in our standard of living..... Certainly not a subject for this thread but this concern is behind my general concern that business needs to be mindful of obligations made in relatively good times that may need to be paid out in more difficult times. I would hate to see the Sox for example tie up $300MM for the next 10 years on one player, and in 5 years not be able to afford the rest of the team.... Yah, OK maybe a bit dramatic but I assume you get my point!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

04 Nomore

What you have is history that ended last century . The Yankees are exactly as successful as the NY Jets in this Century. Shine up your 26 rings and stick em where the sun don't shine.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dizzyesasky. Show dizzyesasky's posts

Wood, you make some good points...I'll grant you that but, don't you think some things are etched in stone? We called Damon a traitor, we praise Schilling for saying he could never play for the Yankees.

I know sports is just business but Arod is the epitome of the "Evil Empire" and we basically have triumphed over him and them. So let him rot in exile (a couple years in LaLa land) and then I might consider it. I know forgiveness is divine but Arod's ego (announcement of opting out during OUR time of glory) doesn't deserve us taking him into RSN. By the way, do you know why I have the Dizzy in front of Esasky as you were right on NIck?

D'Esasky

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from diehardincali. Show diehardincali's posts

This Arod thing has been a shocker and all I can say is we better be careful the Crapees dont try to deal a double blow to us by signing both Arod and Lowell as there 1st base position is weak and one could easily see them cutting or not using Giambi.

Another bizarre thing I read..first time I have seen a writer infer this, but they said they thought Lowell should sign fast before the Mitchel report is released. http://64.246.64.33/default.asp?c=wfan&page=mlb/misc/rounding_third.htm

This is slander and hopefully is not true but if it is, this could one of those things that our FO knows about before it was released. I hope Theo has some plans in the works if the unexpected continues to play out.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

We seem to have picked up a new TROLL ! or have we ? Maybe just an old friend panicked because he knows how badly the sh!t storm will hit when Yankee fans now have to DEFEND ARod!

New Name Same TROLL

04Nomore
    Send E-Mail
    Add To Friends
    Ignore Posts
    Main
    Favorites
    Personal
    This user has not entered any profile information.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomjoad544. Show tomjoad544's posts

If Lowell does not sign with the Sox , what are the other teams that need a third baseman- other than the Yanks if A-Rod goes? Where would he go?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Walshy,

Please let me explain to you what you are about to witness . The greatest display of backpedaling , double talking mumbo jumbo in the history of sports . Yankee fans trying to explain How a person they have mercilessly bashed for three weeks is now the Saviour of 'The House That Ruth Built".

Of course we know who This "new" Troll is.

What Yankee fan would be obsessed with posting a zillion times on a Sox board ?

This ARod thing is driving him crazy ! LOL

Sections
Shortcuts