1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomjoad544. Show tomjoad544's posts

Mike Lowell: updates, negotiations, etc.

I love how all the Boston tv stations think they know what is going on. Last night the Cardinals were one of the teams that had offered a contract and that was not true. Down here in NJ/NY they have been saying that there is now way they will give him 4 years. Who knows how many if any other offers he has gotten. Look at what the market was for the best player out there. The market is not that strong . I have no "inside info" but if there was big offer out there why would Mike not have taken it yet. If someone is offering a 4th year then why has he not taken it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfc. Show soxfc's posts

Just saw this article apparently about an event that took place today:

Mike Lowell Honored At Epiphany Catholic School

The baseball star has two World Series rings. He is now a free agent with a chance to sign for big money, but he said he fits in Boston.

"There are certain teams and stadiums that have a different aura, and Fenway is one of them," Lowell said.

Does this mean anything?? Or is this just posturing? He always seemed so sincere...

Ha, I didn't realize his degree is in finance. That could explain a lot. ;)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirkpitt289. Show dirkpitt289's posts

Peter Gammons also reported on ESPN yesterday that the Yankees had discussed first base as far back as two weeks ago, and that the team that seems to be making the strongest pitch is Philadelphia if they can backload the deal until Pat Burrell's $14M is off the books at the end of the 2008 season. Gammons believes the Yankees will use Giambi and Duncan at fist and occasionally use the DH spot for Damon and Matsui. Regarding the Channel 7 report of Atlanta making an offer: Are the Braves going to release Chipper Jones to make room for Lowell?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from youngparisians. Show youngparisians's posts

Mike Lowell Trade Rumors Debunked
    Atlanta Braves : link
    Philadelphia Phillies : link and link
    LA Angels : link
    St Louis Cardinals : link

New York Yankees

A 4yr/60M contract to move a 3B to 1B when they already have Duncan, Giambi and Betemit? And Matsui is going to DH? This deal sounds unrealistic (then again it is NYY).

So that leaves??
    Boston Red Sox

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The Levinson Brothers are such rookies.

If you're going to play the "my client already has 12 offers and there all better than yours" game, you're not supposed to name the teams...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from quint869. Show quint869's posts

I can't believe for a second it was them

Maybe they are not the best, but they have been in the business long enough to know that the Braves and Cardinals made 0 sense, they could have easily said the Dodgers and the Brewers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Well it made sense to get stories out there that Lowell had already received numerous 4-year offers. So I can't fault whoever there. But someone dropped the ball when they named teams, and it had to be within Levinson's office. Or some whacky journalist

When you're bluffing, you're not supposed to tell them what your cards are...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

"Rumor has it the latest offer for Lovell is 4yrs, $60 Million, with a 5th year player option for $10 Million for switching to 1st base. "

Who is Lovell and how does that have anything to do with what I said or what the thread is all about?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kentuckyexile. Show kentuckyexile's posts

Please pretty please Red Sox, keep mike Lowell. I have been a Red Sox Fan all my life and I am 47 years old. I remember watching the Red Sox when I was as young as 10 with my Dad. It seemed back then that baseball was played for the love of the sport not for the money. I could be wrong cuz after all I was only 10. BUT I am now 47. I was so dissapointed that Johnny Damen went to the Yankees. You might as well have put another curse on the Red Sox. Even though we won the game seems to be about the money, everything today is about the money.

I have a son 15 years old who has baseball in his blood.. He plays for the PURE love and talent for the sport. No joke or exageration. He can play ANY position and excell. Honest to god, that is the only thing getting him through highschool right now is that he plans to play for the MLB Mainly the Red Sox. He is absolutely one of the best of his age playing. This is because it is in his blood. I have tried to stress to him over the years that it doesn't matter how good he is, if he doesn't have the grades to get into a good college he doesn't have a chance at the major leagues. I truly believe that this is the only thing keeping him in highschool. His father was a great player in Highschool but chose the path of drugs, drinking and girls, was a 1/2 a credit short and the HS wouldn't let him play baseball so he quit school. We are trying soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard to let our son know that that was the wrong path.

I don't know where I am going with this, OK I have had a bit of Merlot !!! I was originally on the computer looking for tickets for opening day, had some room left on a credit card and Christmas is comming. LOL Not that much room.

Therefore I would sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo appreciate it if I could get a letter or two from a player or two on the importance of doing/caring about school, getting good grades, and having a backup plan.

Thank you,

A begging mom

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from brooklynyanqui. Show brooklynyanqui's posts

lowell is not a good fit for the yanqs. if he played 1st base, he would at best be a one year bridge to posada (who won't be a fulltime catcher for long). i don't see him getting 4 years from the steinbrenner boys for this reason.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from quint869. Show quint869's posts

notin, if it was something to do with the Levinson's, i would bet they would choose a better way to out this than a local tv station that no one takes seriously.

This is either made up, or it is actually someone who kinda knows what is going on, but isn't involved, a friend or someone that wants it out.

Fact is, it doesn't matter how many people they tell about the 4year offers, Theo isn't going to change the years, and as history shows, isn't going to get more by taking this public or starting a bidding war.

The fact Drew and Lugo happened in quiet is probably why they were rewarded well.

We hear 40 bs rumors a day from TV and Radio stations, I view this Lowell rumor in the same regard.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

By the time the Yankees young pitching come into maturity, their hitters will be over the hill unless you think 36 is the prime for hitters other than Bobby Bonds.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamroz. Show jamroz's posts

Q: Which team holds the two most expensive world series trophies?

Yeah, but which team holds the record for the highest payroll for not even making it to the World Series?

I'll never understand why Yankee fans spend so much time on our boards. You guys are delusional.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

If I am Theo, I am telling Lowell that the offer is of the table after the weekend. Then we will see if there is anything to this yankees offer. Lowell is a great guy and a strong contributor to the Sox championship this year, but I don't see him repating his career year next year either for the Sox or any other team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

You are correct Lowell is a better third baseman than A Rod but then Arod is a better shortstop than Jeter, seniority not ability counts. The Yankees are thinking about hurting the Sox more than helping themselves by signing Lowell. Either than or trying to corner the market on elderly first basemen DH types.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

Lets assume he hits his 20 homeruns and 95 RBIs, do you think we can't find a first or third baseman that can't duplicate those numbers aside from Cabrera. Moving Youklis to 3rd base would reduce the defense but not appreciablly. Would I like to have Lowell comeback for 3 years ,sure but if he leaves its going to hurt the Sox in the short run and the Yanks in the long run. Keep in mind that we will have the 15 million available to sign Cabrera when he becomes a free agent.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

Let me clarify that aside from Lowell and Cabrera, there are number of corner infielders that can match the production of an average Lowell year without tieing up the sox for four years at $60 million and costing them their best prospects. Regarding Cabrera, I think that should wait until he becomes a free agent to go after him rather than giving up their best prospects to rent him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

We are of one mind here. Just like I think that Lowell will revert down to career averages, I think that Drew and Lugo will revert up to career averages and pick up the slack for Lowell or any corner infielder they get to replace him. I think Ellsbury will be a significant improvement over Crisp. The pitching staff will improve with Bucholz and Lester in the rotation and no Gagne.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

I think Crisp goes in a trade for a replacement corner infielder or 3b prospect. All Ellsbury has to do is make contact and let his speed do the rest like in the World Series.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dskerr. Show dskerr's posts

The Sox must try everything they can to keep Mike Lowell. I am fine if they do not want to go 4 years, but on a 3 year deal, they need to be in the $14M-$15M range per year. $36M for 3 yr is not going to do it, but $42M or $45M for 3 yr will. And for a team like the Sox, what another $2-3M per year? I really don't get it. I was fine not siging Pedro and Johnny to 4 yr deals, especially because of their health issues. There aren't any health issues with Mike.

If they don't sign him, now the Sox have to use some of their chips to go get a 1st or 3rd baseman, which depletes the teams resources and make them less likely to be able to jump into the bidding war for Santana.....because I guarantee you he will be on the market.

If they are willing to go $12M per year, what not $14M or $15M.....it doesn't make any sense.....almost seems like they are trying to lowball him on purpose so he does leave.....I don't get it..........

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

If Theo makes that trade he is an idiot. The only way you make a trade involving no more than 2 of your best 3 prospects is to have Santana signed to a 5 year contract bore the deal is consumated.

I would trade either Bucholtz or Lester and Ellsbury and another top 10 prospect if Santana is signed long term. Otherwise let the Yankees get rid of their top talent.

Thats why Phillips is a broadcaster not GM.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

That's a sure sign of a franchise heading down hill. Their moves are starting to resemble the Red Sox of a few decades ago.

Actually it doesn't resemble ANYTHING that has ever been done in sports. This is guaranteeing 400mil to athletes that will all surpass 40 years of age during thier contracts Yes, the term for such an asinine move by rookie ownership is ' HIT THE PANIC BUTTON "

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

"Yankees can afford him, Lov vell will be in pin-stripes soon. We are re-building our empire!"
    Good luck on your rebuilding effort........ It's a shame to see what has become of what was once such a proud franchise. There was a time I hated the Yankees, as well as their obnoxious fans... Now I find that hate has turned into pity. I actually feel sorry for you guys....... You know, that really bugs me, because I know how wrong that feeling is.......So I do very much hope you guys do get your act back together .....It's a lot more fun hating you guys, than feeling sorry for you....
    BTW.....After you guys finish up signing ARod..... And if you get Lowell......Don't forget to try to coax Roger back out of retirement again...... The sight of him, stuffed into pinstripes, on the mound in NY looking like an oversized Fenway Frank was priceless for us Sox fans this past year.......I do hope there is enough cash left to give us that comic relief again next year......
    Enjoy the off season rebuilding your empire!!!!!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamalot23. Show jamalot23's posts

You guys crack me up. There is no way that we are giving up Bucholz, Lester, and Ellsbury for anyone. The only guy who has a chance of going from that group is Lester. You guys are getting pretty desperate.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamalot23. Show jamalot23's posts

I meant you and your fellow yankee fans for even posting that ridiculousness.