1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pemliza. Show pemliza's posts

Mike Lowell: updates, negotiations, etc.

tonyc, I'm sort of with you on this. I realize that in this day & age, most professional atheletes are out to make as much money as they can, but it kills me when I hear people say that they have to do what's best for their family & take the money so they can take care of their family...'scuse me? Something tells me that I could happily support my family on $9 million a year & still put a bunch of money away so that I could live extremely comfortably for the rest of my life after retirement.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pemliza. Show pemliza's posts

Morning Tulsa...I have decided not to fill the empty time. If I go out & spend it saving the world, then I might feel guilty when I had to stop saving the world when baseball starts again. So I'm just going to fill it with nothingness & then I won't have anything to feel bad about. LOL!

I hope you all are right. I really want to see Lowell back next year. Here's hoping there's positive progress on that front soon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pemliza. Show pemliza's posts

Tulsa, I forgot to add--Talans track record is so good, don't we have to go with what he says? LOL!

And, very, very, very glad to hear that all is going well on the health front for you!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeflonPete. Show TeflonPete's posts

I don't think there is any question that guaranteeing eight figures for a player into their late-30's is terrible buisness... Name me one time, ever, that it has paid off.

Manny Ramirez

please don't ask me to name another one.............

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeflonPete. Show TeflonPete's posts

Mike's made about $39 Million since 2001

3 more years @ 15M with an option year for 10 should keep him and his family out of the soup line - so if he wants to play in Boston, I see no problem in making it happen without breaking the bank

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjodon7. Show kjodon7's posts

"Will the RS overpay for Mike Lowell?"

Better than overpaying for A-Rod.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkat. Show jkat's posts

...i think the point people who bring up Pedro forget that he had arm trouble that the sox were concerned with - Damon played a position that tends to be too demanding as a player ages (which is why he's been moved to left by NY) - Tek has never hit in the second half of the season and catching is pretty demanding, but based on his ability to call a game he's worth it. Lowell plays a far less demanding position and one that makes it much easier, IMO, to sign him for 3 or 4 years - yes he'd be 38 when the contract ends, but I don't think it's like having a 38 year old center fielder.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stublatt. Show stublatt's posts

Please don't underestimate Mike's value in the clubhouse. There is a reason that many of the players have lobbied for his re-signing since the WS. Guys like him help the team get through the long regular season - "don't get too high when we're winning, but definitely don't panic when we lose 4 out of 5". Calming influence, great production at the plate, gold glove caliber defense (most of the time) - try to sign him for 3 yrs with a club option 4th. But whatever the Sox decide - PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE - NO A-ROD!!!!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from finagino. Show finagino's posts

Lowell proved that having three big hitters, PAPI< MANY

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rfic14. Show rfic14's posts

Why would the Red Sox possibly go after Hunter? After talking about trading Coco to make room for Ellsbury...where would Hunter possibly play? lol

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris0922. Show chris0922's posts

a-rod is looking for 30-35 mill a yr,in the post season lowell was much better than rodriguez,so i think what ever mike wants mike should have...anyone remember orlando cabrera?he also wanted to many yrs so they signed renteria to a lg and long deal,by the trade deadline they were looking to trade for cabrera.is this gonna play the same way?hope not.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris0922. Show chris0922's posts

then im a freakin' moron,if im gonna pay a guy 30 mill a yr he damn well better be hitting that ball in october as well as april.his numbers in the season are what got the yanks to the post season but he did ABSOLUTLY NOTHING to keep them there.3 mill?yes,id sign him.30?fat chance!with that money i could sign lowell,give afew guys a raise and tito an extention.ya,and im the moron!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from brother_of_manny. Show brother_of_manny's posts

couple of ?? what would be the possiblity of arod at short and run julio out of town, and I seem to remember reading all sorts of posts damning randy moss. I am not saying arod would be the best thing for this team, i just think about that infeild with lowell arod pedroia and youk....and then the line up next year....... ellsbury pedroia papi arod manny lowell youk drew tek. mmmmmmmm

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris0922. Show chris0922's posts

i dont think theyre gonna sign a-rod,boras has some red sox clients too.i do think they will get a deal done for mike because they dont have anyone in the minors to bring up.miguel cabrera is on the block but he has weight issues,no f.a. worth mentioning either.they could put youk back at third but then what?again no real talent.trade who for what? make life easy theo,sign mike.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjr. Show mjr's posts

Well said.

Even though Lowell may have had an "off year" with the glove, he was still better than what's out in the market. As for his bat, his head, and his heart - he is irreplacable. He stepped up when Manny's stepped out (oblique) and you can sense that his head is in the game at all times.

As for Coco. He's certainly struggled at the plate, but he also saved several runs per year with this play in center. Jacoby's got the range and speed (same thing?) to handle center but will take some time to learn the geography in Fenway. As I recall, the Sox were interested in Saltalamacchia last year - now might be a good time to shop Coco for a catcher who could step in for Varitek in a year or so.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjmental. Show sjmental's posts

I have been a diehard red sox fan for many years however if they get A-Rod I will consider being a fan elsewhere(not yankee) A-Rod is not a fit for red sox he is a Jerk.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from gloreedays. Show gloreedays's posts

In addition to whatever the Sox ownership promise him, I will give Mike Lowell my dog and first born child to stay.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from antares8. Show antares8's posts

You have to account for character. Based on character alone, Lowell is head over heels superior to Me-Rod. Lowell has a strong positive clubhouse presence. The chemistry is great, envied by all of baseball. Why ruin it??

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from thebookofperk. Show thebookofperk's posts

Who else watched the entire season the 2007 Red Sox had? Well I did!! And the fact remains; although there were scattered games here and there the Sox pulled out 7+ runs; many times failed to produce in the second half. With JD being a big ?, Papi coming off knee surgery, Manny having a second straight down year and Lugo at short.... we need some big production out of the 3B position! Mike Lowell had a career year in the last year of a big contract. Do you honestly think he will put up numbers like this again?? Well I argue no... we need a mainstay big bat in that slot and we all should just hope and pray we go with A-Rod or Cabera!

I love you Lowell but it's time for you to go!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from thebread. Show thebread's posts

Number One... Resign Lowell... if they can pay Drew, they should and must pay Lowell. Four years not five and fair money. That's fair.

Number Two... No A-Rod, No Way... No Wife with the F***-You T-shirt! No Prima Donnas on this team. They are World Series Champs Twice without him... They can do it again without him.

And more...

Trade for Saltalamachia. He's only 22 with promise. I'd hate to see CoCo go, nice guy, but Texas could use him and we have Jacoby!

By all means, at least try a six man rotation. Daisuke and Schill will benefit a lot. The only problem with it is Beckett goes only once every six days, but this may even make him better (more time to heal any potential blisters!)

Find a good backup or platoon type outfielder even a young guy with potential. You just never know with Drew.

Do not trade for Santana... He would cost too many good young players.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 04champ. Show 04champ's posts

It is a little early for Xmas, but I hope that Mike decides that the Sox are the place to be and takes a fair offer. I hope this goes like Varitek's or this year's Schilling talks. I think that Mike's staying with the Sox is a win for both sides. Aside from the money, this team has the real potential for a couple more rings. Call me Old School, but I like to think that players will consider winning, chemistry, and the name on the front of the jersey when they make their decisions. Tim Wakefield comes to mind in this regard.

Come on Theo--re-sign Mike Lowell!!!

I am guessing 2-3 years in the 10-11 million a year range

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerseyrip. Show jerseyrip's posts

Bazoo - Why would you care what the NYY end up doing? This is supposed to be about WHY we would want to keep MIKEY.

FRANKLY - WHO GIVES A **** ABOUT THE YANKEES?

Mike Lowell brings a consistency to the infield that can only be measured once he's gone. He gets EVERYTHING hit his way, and makes Lugo's job a little easier. A clutch hitter that got us to the playoffs.......there is nothing about this guy you can't love. If he wants 4 years, give it to him.

We know what he brings to the table, CONSISTENCY, DAY IN/DAY OUT. If there was any way I didn't think we would be playing in the 2008 WS with the current team, I'd say "pull the trigger". But these guys are going to be BETTER in '08, Papi's knee will be 100%, JDD will have the season we expected, Jacoby will be sensational, and so on, and so on, and so on!

Lowell must stay, end of story.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_431475. Show user_431475's posts

I want Mike Lowell back in Boston as much as I don't want A-Rod to ever, ever play in Boston. Lowell rules, A-Rod is a tool.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nbc2529. Show nbc2529's posts

I trust that the management will make the right choice on what to resign Lowell at, and they should stick to their ceiling... I mean, didn't they make the right moves by not overpaying Johnny Damon and Pedro over the last few years? Look how they've done since they left. They have the most information on whether or not Mikey Lowell will be able to produce at the levels he did this year. Remember, he had a year this year that was above and beyond anything he's ever done... is he going to continue doing that? I don't know, hopefully Theo does. And if Lowell goes somewhere else? Maybe Theo can pry Cabrera from the Fish for Coco and John Lester. Getting Miguel away from South Beach will be the best solution to his weight and partying problems, and he'll thrive in the 5-hole behind Papi and Manny, rather than being the lone ranger in Florida. Time for the Sox to pillage the Marlins once again.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomwehner. Show tomwehner's posts

The Red Sox should be pursuing trades with either Johan Santana or Jake Peavy, both of whom are free after next year.