1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamalot23. Show jamalot23's posts

Mike Lowell: updates, negotiations, etc.

Why would you even consider wasting your time to respond to him then. I didn't hear the conversation, but if Phillips said it he is an idiot too for wasting everyone's time who was watching the program. Hey why don't we throw in masterson and lowry too. Sounds like a great deal.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamalot23. Show jamalot23's posts

I think you are right that Lowell isn't coming back to Boston. Everyone can say what they want about Schilling, but he is the only one to put his money were his mouth is. Anyone who thinks he couldn't have gotten considerably more than $8 million from another team is crazy. He (like Lowell) said he wants to stay in Boston and would do so for a discount. I lose respect for a guy like Lowell when he lies about it. I have more respect for a guy who leaves and just says the money was better elsewhere. No problem Lowell deserves to be paid top dollar if that is what is most important to him. Problem for him is there is no team that has to work within a budget who will give Lowell 4 years and $60 million. Enter the team with no budget constraints and the Yankees will get him for what he thinks he is worth. I for one won't shed a tear over it. Add him to Arod, Posada, and Rivera (once he signs for $15 mill) and you get 4 mid/late 30 year old players making a combined $70 million plus. That is more than the whole payroll of most of the league.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauloz. Show pauloz's posts

hey Mike, stay

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from deggy24. Show deggy24's posts

slow down there keepmanny .. I never said that Lowell would necessarily do well ..I'm just saying you can't, with certainty, say he won't do well either .. not so sure why people can be so certain of that .. maybe the same people who said with certainty "dump Lowell, he'll have a 650 ops second half"

as far as signing Pedro for 10 years .. who said anything about that? where did you get that from ..note that for the same money Pedro was asking for, Schilling has got .. and I think he has 5 more wins than Pedro over the same 3 year period .. who we did get was Clement who has fewer wins over the same period ..

as far as knowing more than Epstein, I never said anything about that either .. pointed out some facts which seem to be out of bounds in your freedom of speech ... really at a loss as to why my post offends you to the point of hyperbole ..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from deggy24. Show deggy24's posts

fair enough .. but again I'm not saying with any certainty that Lowell will perform ..when you bring examples of 3rd basemen who support your opinion can I eliminate them as you eliminate my examples? ... the fact is that Lowell is a better hitter than Brooks was (check the data) so why is he a bad example? are the valid samples only the ones the support your logic .. its an apples to apples comparison

let's get some guys to support your side .....Terry Pendleton .. oops his 34 to 37 years were career average .. Scott Brosius .. oops retired at 34 but he was well above average at 34 ... Wade Boggs near career average 34-37 but can't use him cause he's good .. sorry got to go back to work .. hope you can find some 3rd basemen to support your case ..

and the Pedro thing, what an absurd smokescreen if ever there was one .... apples and oranges

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Deggy

You are making a valid point re. Lowell . In all probability the next 2 - 3 years will be productive for him. Will he be one of the best offensive 3rd baseman away from Fenway ? No, but he will be good . Does he have 4 years left ?? For this answer I will differ to Theo. RSN hit the roof with Pedro Damon, and Nomar, all well paid and popular Theo was 3 for 3, in his decision, until he blows a call like this I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

C

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

King Tetonkhaman

You don't have to pity the Yanks or our fans, we will finish the decade strong. I believe you guys have made it to the playoffs what??? Over ten years in a row now? The Yankees are still a decent team, and I am sure will be for a few more years. If you don't sign Lovell, I doubt you make the playoffs next year, but, that's ok, you will have still won 2 WS in four years so that will keep all of you in a holding pattern for a couple of years. Works for me pal.....I waited all my life for one WS win I never expected to see two....Of course being the first team ever to come back from a 3-0 deficit in the 2004 ALCS ranks right up there as a WS win as well.

We'll pay Rogah what he wants, that is none of your business, Couldn't care less what you pay him just hoping for a few more laughs next year. he helped bring us additional championships. I always felt more like the Yankees helped buy him the couple he was part of. I'm sure you would turn down millions also, he doesn't have to apologize for a H.O.F. career and nationwide fan interest generated whenever he takes the mound, he still had some very good peformances in 2007, key wins, almost a no-hitter and this key game which puts us in a position to win the division after a terrible first half by the team: Roger is one of the greatest pitchers of all time. A H.O.F'er if there ever was one. But like an old boxer who doesn't know when to quit, he keeps coming back........ Hey as long as you guys can find a uniform that will fit him.....It's your money spend it as you see fit!!!!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores107/107259/MLB732244.htm

His injuries limited him from being more effective. Frankly, he held his own with your Shelling I think he should pitch one more year and return as a #4 or #5 starter or even a middle-man and close out his career in the House that Ruth built, the same Ruth you all did not want, hence the "curse of the bambino" and the "curse of the clemensino". I really don't want to hear any of you ungrateful slobs bad mouth a true legend that is Rogah! I agree, I would love to see him pitch again as a 4th or 5th starter for you guys!!! Actually I am not ungrateful at all, instead I would be very grateful to see that......

One more thing, take a close look at the box score and see who got 3 of your 5 hits and 2 of your 3 RBI's and scored 1 run in this game that Shelliing lost by being greedy and staying in to get the win...that's right, its our one and only...Mr. Lovell. You better give him his 4th year and a 5th year player option or kiss him goodbye and welcome the "curse of the lowellballino", that's for low-balling another MVP! Finally we agree.... But sadly pal I don't make the calls in Boston.....If Theo wants to let him walk I don't think I will be able to change his mind.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gangleyboy. Show gangleyboy's posts

Was Danny Cater the guy we got from NYY for Sparky Lyle? That was one of the most horrible trade I've seen Boston make against the Sknkies.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gabootwo2006. Show gabootwo2006's posts

Theo and the gang in the Red Sox front office.

One big reason why NOT re-signing Mike Lowell is a really bad deal for the Red Sox.

Miguel Cabrera, 3B--Florida Marlins:

The Marlins are willing to trade him and plan to do so at some point this winter. The Red Sox, Giants, Dodgers, Indians, Nationals, Rangers, Yankees, White Sox, Tigers and Angels are all interested. However, the Marlins' asking price is causing teams to consider other options first. The Marlins want four top prospects for Cabrera.

The Angels are considered the current frontrunners. The Marlins want Howie Kendrick, Maicer Izturis/Brandon Wood and Nick Adenhart from the Angels. In the past, Bill Stoneman refused to trade these players, but Tony Reagins may have a different philosophy. The Red Sox would have to move Jacoby Ellsbury with Jon Lester/Clay Buccholz. The Dodgers would have to move Andy LaRoche and Matt Kemp with Clayton Kershaw/Jon Meloan. The Yankees would have to offer Melkey Cabrera and Jose Tabata along with Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain or Ian Kennedy. But since they will not move any of those young pitchers, it will be impossible for the Yankees to acquire him in a straight-up trade. The Padres are not interested. The White Sox can offer only Gio Gonzalez, Jerry Owens and Josh Fields, and that offer falls short of what the Dodgers and Angels have.In the unlikely event they acquire him, the White Sox would play Cabrera in LF.

A team acquiring Cabrera would like want a 72-hour window to work out a long-term deal with him before completing a trade. He is eligible for free agency following the 2009 season. He could command a 7-year, $140M deal.

Last updated: 04:23 PM - Nov 16, 07 by MLB4U.com | Source: Ken Rosenthal | Rated: 2.2740 out of 5

Rate: 1 out of 5 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
    Trading price way too high for Cabrera plus he will be asking for a ton of money (more money then Lowell will get eventually)!!!!!!!
    Plus he sucks defensively and would be another Manny on the field and we don't need another aloof spaceball in the field.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

Mikey better sign before the Sox offer is off the table and he is looking at a 2 year contract.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

I don't think Theo is going to fall for the bluff from Lowell's agents, Without the Yanks, there is no other viable offer on the table and I don't think the Sox offer is indefinite either. Mike get it done or forget it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

Lowell's upside is that the deal stay's the same. His downside is a 2 year contract for $25 million.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

I think Theo is a pretty good poker player and he wasn't going to get bluffed either by the Yankees or Lowell's agents. Lowell's bbest bet is to sign and soon , I don't think there is a 4 year deal out there for him and there might not be a three year deal soon.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Fred, My man ,

The Lowell deal is looking better everyday, he!l, the post season has just begun. Theo will have Mike at 3rd. I DON"T think that every component of the 07 team will be there when the season starts. He has one big move up his sleeve. Crisp , Youk and Buch are cards that may be played. You are gonna have plenty to rant and rave on before ST. I don't believe Lowell will be your biggest concern. Relax and let it happen before you blow a fuse . Yankee negotiation are in the news on a daily basis , with Theo you find out when it happens.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Bucholdz just missed from 52 for Clemsen BC 20 --- CL 17

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Message # 40966.2016
    Posted by Joba the Hut (04Nomore) on 10:15 AM

Yankees in 1998 had 125 wins. 2nd highest payroll.

YOUR RIGHT, I had almost forgot about that, The Yankees had some good teams way back in the 90s.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

26 World Championships
    The Greatest Franchise in the History of Sports

No argument about that, you might as well carve it in stone since it won't be changing in the foreseeable future.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamalot23. Show jamalot23's posts

That is the 2nd post I have seen where I was told to get Mussina out of your rotation when making projections. Where is he going to go then?????????????? You have him under contract. Are you guys going to release him????? Send him to the bullpen?????? You just can't say make him disappear.

I don't dispute the fact the Rivera and Posada have been decent players and in Rivera's case probably the best closer of all time. At what point does a Yankee fan become concerned that they are both almost 40 (and just received brand new contracts at $15 million per for 3 and 4 years)? Heck I am scared of Varitek breaking down and he is younger than Posada (plus has 3 years less and 5 million per less on his contract then posada). Funny you bashed the schilling signing because he is old (even though he took considerably less to come back) yet his post season track record is just as impressive (many would consider more impressive) than anyone currently on the yankee's roster and we only had to lock him up for one year.

You say you won't debate the highest payroll with me because the Sox have the 2nd highest payroll. We could have added the Red Sox, Marlins, and Devil Rays payrolls all together and they would just about be equal the Yankee's. There is such a gap between 1 and 2 that it is silly. I would think someone should be held accountable when you consistently spend $50++ million more than the 2nd highest payroll, but never produce a champion (talking recent history obviously). I think you might possibly have the most overated GM in the history of baseball.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from philly-sox-fan. Show philly-sox-fan's posts

He's back!

http://www1.whdh.com/

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from morecowbell. Show morecowbell's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/

Lowell re-signs for 3 years!! YEAHHHH!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamalot23. Show jamalot23's posts

Looks like the Sox will win... it is reported that Lowell is close to resigning for 3 years and $37.5 million.... that is why Epstein is the GM... stuck to his guns until he got his guy... could have folded and gave the 4th year, but never had to....

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3118926