1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nbc2529. Show nbc2529's posts

Mike Lowell: updates, negotiations, etc.

I trust that the management will make the right choice on what to resign Lowell at, and they should stick to their ceiling... I mean, didn't they make the right moves by not overpaying Johnny Damon and Pedro over the last few years? Look how they've done since they left. They have the most information on whether or not Mikey Lowell will be able to produce at the levels he did this year. Remember, he had a year this year that was above and beyond anything he's ever done... is he going to continue doing that? I don't know, hopefully Theo does. And if Lowell goes somewhere else? Maybe Theo can pry Cabrera from the Fish for Coco and John Lester. Getting Miguel away from South Beach will be the best solution to his weight and partying problems, and he'll thrive in the 5-hole behind Papi and Manny, rather than being the lone ranger in Florida. Time for the Sox to pillage the Marlins once again.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomwehner. Show tomwehner's posts

The Red Sox should be pursuing trades with either Johan Santana or Jake Peavy, both of whom are free after next year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from drew2476. Show drew2476's posts

I do like the idea of the Cabera trade, except that, as that article pointed out, it would cost Buchholtz, at a minimum. Since this is Schill's last year, and perphaps Wake's as well, that would leave a rotation of Beckket, Matsuzaka and Lester to build around. Not bad, to be sure, but think how much better if they kept Buchholtz?...

I say if there is a way to get Cabera with out givng up Buchholtz (ie Bowden and Hansen as a starting point), then I say do it. But otherwise, I say let the market price itself and do not "over-pay" as GM's like to say...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerseyrip. Show jerseyrip's posts

Bazoo - Yes, there are many RSN members in NJ, I am also one of them, Kendall Park!

5 Yr/$100mil? NO, but I don't think it comes to that. But 4 years will do it. The problem is, after JDD and Dice-K, what's a "ridiculous contract" anymore?

Yankees are trying to stay committed to their youngsters, besides, it's cheaper! But they always seem to make a deal, even in this case where its a middle-echelon guy.

Lowell would HATE playing in NY.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from meiggscrm. Show meiggscrm's posts

if the sox can't get lowell for mwhat they want...i think they should move kevin y to third and go or even resign eric hinske or trade for mark t in atlanta......or any other good first baseman

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcr4runner. Show jcr4runner's posts

What's all this talk about A-Rod OR Lowell?

I say sign both and keep Manny and Drew too.

Get rid of Lugo and Crisp.

Now that's a batting order and you don't sacrifice too much on defense with A-Rod and Ellsbury in those slots.

Some say A-Rod is better than Lugo at short stop and Ellsbury is only going to improve.

It goes like this:

Ellsbury
    Pedroia
    Papi
    A-Rod
    Manny
    Lowell
    Drew
    Youk
    Varitek

Scary.

Even better because Drew is going to start hitting next year. Tek would be the only offensive liability kept on for his defensive role.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcr4runner. Show jcr4runner's posts

And before people start telling me tthat this can't work because it would put the Red Sox over the salary cap, let me remind people that Boston is the NEW Evil Empire -- like it or not, the Red Sox have a chance to take the Yankees place as the most feared line-up in baseball for several years to come. People are already saying the Red Sox win ony because they overspend. What difference does adding another 40 million make?

They are going to add another 10 million anyway so why not go for it.

Just add 5000 expensive new seats and that pays for it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevemac33. Show stevemac33's posts

not resigning lowell would be THE one possible disappointment to this entire incredible season.

even with the wave of youth, he quickly became a fixture and a pasrt of the team's core.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gabootwo2006. Show gabootwo2006's posts

Positives about Mike Lowell

Great clubhouse guy who has the respect of all his teammates and other players around the league. Class guy.

Stepped it up when Manny took his annual vacation and filled in the cleanup spot nicely

Has a Fenway swing.....likes to get doubles lining off the wall in left.

Is an outstanding defensive player.

He was....to a man in the clubhouse and by 95% of the Red Sox fans...the MVP of the Red Sox last year. Without Lowell, they might have not won a World Series. He was that important.

A leader on and off the field.

NEGATIVES ABOUT MIKE LOWELL.

none.

THEO. PLEASE GIVE MIKE LOWELL THE CONTRACT HE IS LOOKING FOR. IF HE IS LOOKING FOR A FOUR YEAR DEAL.....GIVE HIM ONE NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mmdavin. Show mmdavin's posts

The guy deserves a good contract. He came here as a "throw-in" and plays hard everyday. With him the infield defense is outstanding (Lugo-???maybe) and his bat makes 3-4-5 look deadly. He was the MVP in the WS because he listened to Manny and knows that you make your own destination

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimbeau1. Show jimbeau1's posts

Wow!

Good point; the Globe is a mouthpiece for the front office. I don't want to see him go eithe rbut if the FO is going to negotiate through the media . . . .

Lowell deserves better. Just please, don't go to the Yankees. I'd hate to see his name tarnished for such a sh^**y reason.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mmdavin. Show mmdavin's posts

Hey. Unfortunately I agree with you. They did the same thing in '04. Mike does not appear to have a huge ego but a couple million here and there add up. He was "thrown-in" with the Beckett deal so maybe he wants to be "the guy" in the next deal. Hopefully, he will decide to stay. If he doesnt I hope he at leasts goes to the NL so we wont see him 19 times a year.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rfcytb. Show rfcytb's posts

Faith, although I agree with you about Lowell as do most sox fans, the fact is he is not the 120 ribbie guy he was this yr and at 34 you can't be giving this guy 4 or 5 yrs. He led the major leagus in batting ave at home and is tailor made for fenway so it would be a big mistake if he let his ego get in the way of this negotiation and leaves. 3 yrs is a strong offer and he should take it or he will be having regrets similar to pedro, damon, roger etc. had this october when the sox were celebrating.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsox310. Show redsox310's posts

On another thought...Congrats to Youk.....Is there a first-baseman out there the Sox would target if Youk goes to 3rd....Move seems feasible....Youk has a third-baseman's mind-set.....Although it will be tough to replace Lowell's leadership....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from odrog. Show odrog's posts

Dump Lowell. Boston needs to get younger not older.

Mr Lowell is rumored one of the 11 free agents on George Mitchell's steroid list, that is going to

be released soon. The Sox traded Willy Mo for the Chris Carter who put up some KILLER

numbers in Triple A. Put Yuke on third and Carter on first, the only thing you will lose is an

aging old veteran.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dei991. Show dei991's posts

Well I'd rather have them give a little more for lowell than pay 350 million for I-ROD

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from suesunswim. Show suesunswim's posts

Look, it seems as though any player that comes to Boston needs a year to adjust. So the Red Sox have to eat a year on a player's contract. AND they don't even know if this new player can cope with playing here. They KNOW Lowell can, so give him the 3 years, offer him a club option for a 4th year. Guys who play third base can last longer than other positional players. If they lose Lowell, they are going to have to find someone who is going to have to take that year to adjust. And NO, I do not want A-Rod. I don't care how "great" he is. I don't want him here. Can you imagine him in this small city, in this GIANT fishbowl? And what about his wife? She isn't going to be able to walk down the street without reporters running after her. How happy do you thing SHE is going to be? That being said, how unhappy is she going to make A-Rod. And don't you all think that will affect him and how he acts? He belongs in L.A.

GIVE LOWELL WHAT HE WANTS. Make a freakin exception. They have done it before, do it again!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gapwedge. Show gapwedge's posts

Although Damon got more Yankees cash than the Red Sox offered, I would imagine his endorsement figures are way down. He's just not "the man" in NY he was in Boston. Then, of course, he doesn't get any post-retirement endorsements ever in New England, would be my guess. So, long-term, where was the smartest move for him?

Lowell may be in a similar situation. I sure hope he stays. He's about the best defensive third-baseman I've ever seen -- and his bat and leadership qualities are elegant as well. Perhaps if he takes the long view on this deal, he'll see that the goodwill of New England feels great and is worth a lot of cash too.

Sign the deal, Mike. Come on back and dazzle us all some more...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yazfan64. Show yazfan64's posts

I realize that theo is very wise on what to do and whatever he does will work. We are fortunate to have him,Larry,Tom and Mr. Henry. Lowell no question should stay in Boston. Lord knows it's the right fit. Come on Mikey your on to something there and your loved! Heck of a place to go out on top. Iv'e lived and died with the Sox and thank god for the computer because I follow the team every day. I will continue to pull for ya Big guy, please sign. This team has outstanding defense with you and Youk at the corners,Julio came out of his shell and is ready from the get go now and Peedy will kick butt once again. We need ya bud, Best 3 bagger since Carney@Wade! No offense Youk.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zippyboro. Show zippyboro's posts

Hi Tulsa,
    From what I've heard on the local stations, it's 3 years/36 mill.... not enough IMO. He will at the least, test the market.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from headphonic. Show headphonic's posts

OK Praha, that's valid but lets say the sox bring lowell back for 3 years and make it to the WS 2 of those 3 years but Lowell is trailing off in year three. Was it a good deal? I'd argue it was. You can't win every year and bringing back a proven veteran for a little more than he might be worth and continuing to contend seems to be a better solution than bringing in an NL 3B who will have a down adjusting year before becoming a real player. You over pay/contract a little to keep someone for the good years, if he rides te bench for his last year when we bring up some 3B phenom we picked up in the draft for Gagne's leaving, who cares?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from headphonic. Show headphonic's posts

while i don't see the sox giving lowell 4 years unless push really comes to shove, EVEN IF HE SUCKS YEARS 3 AND 4 and rides the bench spelling Ortiz and others, it's better than the 3B free agent market for next year (excluding Cabrera altough that's questionable).

IMHO, the sox should do whatever they can to get lowell back ASSUMING he'll tail off towards the end and use upcoming draft picks to attempt to plug that hole in the future. contend now while planning for the future...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zippyboro. Show zippyboro's posts

Tulsa, I could see it all happening and I gotta believe that ARod is the contingency plan that you speak of. It would be the ultimate power move against the yankees. As far as Lowell goes, you are right... this is his last chance at a big contract. He'd be foolish not to see what else is out there. Arod is a mystery to me, although he shouldn't be. He has never been shy about the fact that enjoys being the highest paid player in baseball. I bought into his soundbytes this season and really thought he would stay... that he wanted the limelight of NY to secure his legacy. It is and always has been about the money... he's arrogant enough to believe he can handle RSN pressure. We shall see... but there seem to be increasing signs that the FO want him...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from headphonic. Show headphonic's posts

Are you kidding? Two unproductive years out of Lowell at the rate of$14 mil would be terrible... I'd rather pay Mike Lamb $10 mil over twoyears, then see Lars/Aaron Bates in 2010 for min wage.

is it coming out of your pocket?

who do you predict would be the bigger albatross in 3 years from now presuming Lowell signs a 4 year deal, lowell doing into year 4 of his deal or drew going into year 5 of his. i vote drew. is either situaton regrettable, absolutely, but oversigning people is an unfortunate reality in the free agent era. using lowell as a backup infielder/outfielder in year 4 (however unlikely) while bringing up a young 3B is still better than joe crede in 3 years. the actual dollar amount of a salary shouldn't matter to fans, that's for GMs to worry about. we're just trying to construct a team in a fantasy land where the economics are not important.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeopielowski. Show mikeopielowski's posts

The Lowell negociations are somewhat of a mystery to me. When you look at Lowell's home vs away production, it would appear to me, and must appear to other GM's that Lowell is a different player in Fenway than he would be in there ball parks. I like Lowell, but I think it is almost a given that Lowell would probably produce .280/15/80 playing for almost any other team. Taking Fenway Park out of the picture, Lowell would seem to be a terrible investment for most other teams at 15 million per year/4 year deal. No?

Mike