1. You have chosen to ignore posts from headphonic. Show headphonic's posts

Mike Lowell: updates, negotiations, etc.

i understand that it's a gamble, it always is, but of the cards on the table, i think lowell is the best play. both for the 'intangibles' he brings to the team which he has clearly taken to heart, and to the honest to goodness offensive and defensive production which he will bring for at least the short term. present to me a better option for the redsox in 2008 and 2010 and i'm willing to hear it. but lowell clearly is the best choice for 2008 and likely beyond and, past that, that's why the front office cares so much about the farm system.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from quint869. Show quint869's posts

Who is this Cabrera for third base? is that Miguel 'i will need to be at 1B or DH before I hit 26' Cabrera?

Cabrera isn't a long term option at 3B. You just cannot trust the guy, and frankly he has never really been any good there.

I think the Sox have a number of interesting catching prospects, the problem is timing, they are a year or two away, and everyone wants a solution today.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from walterjohnson07. Show walterjohnson07's posts

Walshy made a good argument justifying 4 years for Lowell vs. the other options at 3B, including A-Rod in his declining years. Acknowledging that, I suggest (and suspect) the Sox will stay at 3 years and maybe max out at $45mil. That seems reasonable, all things considered. If Lowell can get 4 years, $52mil out of NY (see Demon), then let's wish him the best and move on.

Youk is a very serviceable 3rd baseman and we can work towards replacing 1B instead. I'm just not comfortable with Ellsbury and Buch (or something like that) to Florida for Cabrera.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pambeal. Show pambeal's posts

I agree that we need to re-sign Lowell. After that is resolved would someone explain to me why the Coach has to spend the entire four (4) hours of a ball game sitting in his stool spitting, this guy has a mental problem or what. That is my only comfort from seeing the Sox season over is that I don't have to see the program director put a camera on the Coach for his non stop spitting, it is sickening!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Culo-Grande. Show Culo-Grande's posts

Could someone tell me what Theo is waiting for? Contract negotoations should not take so long. Like buying a car, here's my offer, here's mine, let's agree on the middle somwhere. It should take about 3 hours.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dsk1. Show dsk1's posts

Because Lowell's agent wants to know what the other clubs are offering. You would too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

Did I just read you say the Sox have never overpaid for a player and then mention JD Drew in the same paprgraph? Admit it bro, he's WAY overpaid. ill admit he had a couple of big hits in the playoffs, but his season was nothing short of horrible. What about Matt Clement, Edgar Renteria, I can keep going if you want. One could even say Julio Lugo is overpaid. He's a great clubhouse guy, but so was Pedros "little good luck charm" fellow and he wasnt even on the payroll.

The other comment about not winning the WS? With the Sox pitching, If they went out and added a little depth to the bullpen, maybe Wakefield to middle relief, and another starter to eat up some innings they could very well win it again.

I dont disagree with everything you said though. Setting a price for Lowell is exactly what the Sox should do. They have enough talent and prospects to pick up a thirdbaseman if they needed to. The other scenerio I keep reading is they move Youk back to third and find a firstbaseman.

Go Sox

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from terry180. Show terry180's posts

The reason Lowell's numbers are up this year is because he knew his contract was up at the end of this year. He had to make sure that he looked good for other teams in case Red Sox didn't resign him. I don't think his numbers will be like this next year. Giving three years is fair. I wouldn't go for four only because you don't know what is going to happen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmo14. Show cosmo14's posts

One National League GM said, "He'd get four years on the open market. No question. He's a great defensive third baseman. Our scouting reports indicate he can still hit and still catch up to a fastball. As long as he can catch up to a fastball, he's going to get the money.-->-->--> -->Not from Theo and the Trio. HeÆs gone to the Yankees and we have no third baseman.-->-->-->I predict the Yankees offer 4 years 52m......It makes no sense to offer a proven post-season hero and MVP of the team 3 years and offer 10 to a post season failure and cancer on the team.-->

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dei991. Show dei991's posts

Id the other option is I_ROD I'd give lowell the extra year! He is more of a team player and won't bring down the moral in the clubhouse. As I said before even if I-ROD plays for free I don't ever want to see him in a sox uniform. I completely lost any respect I may have had for him when he slapped the ball out of Bronson's glove!

Let him to LA

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmo14. Show cosmo14's posts

I heard this morning Florida wants Ellsbury and Buchholz for Cabrera. TOO HIGH a price.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from csb2tylr. Show csb2tylr's posts

We should sign Lowell and sign A-Rod at short and then trade Lugo for some pitching and some backup outfield help.

Carl

Lynchburg, VA

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from aoxsouthone. Show aoxsouthone's posts

If ever there was anything made for each other it was Fenway Park, the Red Sox and Mike Lowell, what else is ther to say?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallawalla. Show wallawalla's posts

I wonder if Theo and co. really understand how much we A) want Lowell back and B) don't want A-Rod here. Can someone more Web-savvy than I start one of those online petitions that we could post here at Dirt Dogs? I think if they saw the numbers of people who do not want A-Rod here they would listen to the fans. Imagine delivering a petition to management that had 500,000 names!

If someone has already done this please send it along to me.

WW

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Anothervoice. Show Anothervoice's posts

How much do I want Mike Lowell in Boston? Enough to overpay him substantially, enough to take the chance that he will perform less brilliantly in year three, enough to urge Theo & Co. to get it done. Enough to think about it daily, enough to check this site for news of the negotiations.

Mike Lowell is an outstanding player, but clearly, he is much more than that for Boston fans. He represents a value that we miss in baseball - in sports in general. There's nothing wrong with paying something for that when it comes in the package of a guy who performs as Lowell has. He's demonstrated his worth. Now show him the money.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cdubs357. Show cdubs357's posts

Why would we want an aging outfielder who wouldn't settle for anything less than being an everyday starter when we have a major league ready star-in-the-making in Jacoby Ellsbury in centerfield?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fjjmr0329. Show fjjmr0329's posts

Mike Lowell

was on a local Miami station yesterday at about 4:30 with Dan Lebartard. Mike said he absolutely loves Boston but his big issue is he doesn't want to hear the rumors of being traded such as Colorado last year. he did say Colorado. My guess hes looking for a no trade and the Redsox wont give it to him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bushie. Show bushie's posts

You bring up an excellent point that I have not read elsewhere. No Trade has always been a big issue for the Red Sox front office. I wonder if this could be a deal breaker.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidnh28. Show davidnh28's posts

I want A-Rod. Manny will be gone after next year and we don't know how long Ortiz will be around after his knee surgery. Lowell can't make up for those two guys but A-Rod can. He can knock out at least 40 homers a year at Fenway.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRedStain. Show TheRedStain's posts

If I remember correctly, it was Lowell who talked up Boston as "the place players want to play". With that in mind, he seems to have painted himself into a corner: if he accepts the offer presented, he will be "a true gentleman and fine clubhouse leader" just as Varitek and Ortiz and now Schilling before him have done. Conversely, if he rejects the offer - which is the club's first offer, yet eminently fair - he will enter the realm of the Judas Demons, who sell out their family for monetary gain. He will soon be forgotten by our writers and fans as have the many players who departed up to this point. And let's face it - Mikey could field a better offer from the MFYs in a few days. What would you think of him then? The Ruths, Boggs', Rockets and Damons of the world would have another character joining their list.

While it is a great challenge to repeat as WS winners, not everyone will be onboard with "hometown discounts". It's a close call. On the one hand, we have Youk who can play third. Then there is A-Rod, Tejada or Cabrera - although the latter would most likely be switched to first base, due to his lack of playing shape. I can't see Theo going 4 years just because of a career year. They do call this game "hardball". Just ask Damon.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from riceinhallnow. Show riceinhallnow's posts

Look ahead three years from now and try to imagine the Sox batting order. Who's in it? Manny's collecting cars in Brazil and it's easy to imagine Ortiz retiring within this timespan. Lowell in the third year of his contract? Expectations would not be very high. Youk in his prime? That would be nice. A steady Pedroia? That's an easy pick. The mecurial, anti-Damon Jacoby Elsbury? Please, let's not even begin to mention his name in any trade talk. Lugo? Shortstop d'jour? Whoever can play defense. The Captain's replacement? Big shoes to fill and a real test for Theo. An aging, accepted Drew who'll put up reasonable numbers? Hope so. Here's what it could look like:

1. Ellsbury

2. Youk

3. ?

4. ?

5. Lowell

6. Drew

7. The Captain's replacent

8. Pedroia

9. Shortstop d'jour

OK. Who's in the three hole and who's gonna hit the walk-off homer against the Angels in the ALDS? Hmmmm. Nobody jumps out, do they?

Here's why the Red Sox need to sign A-Rod and wave a very thankful goodbye to Mike Lowell. A-Rod in the three hole or hitting cleanup is a dream, and not a bad dream. He WILL NOT be the cooler in Boston. All of the bandwagon "we don't want A-Rod!" fans will be dancing with Wally in the stands. Remy will be heard to say, "I never thought I'd see the day that Alex Rodriguez would be worshipped in a Red Sox uniform" and we would chuckle when Bronson Arroyo reads the line-up for Game 5 of the 2010 World Series (Sox win in five on an A-Rod walk-off at home because the American League forfeits the All-Star Game to the National League).

So, folks. Get a grip. Celebrate our signing of A-Rod and give thanks for player development that results in our new hero fielding line drives off the monster and knocking in 100+ runs. Thank Theo for signing a National League slugger to replace the Large Father and finding a catcher who bonds with the rotation.

What's not to like?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyujohn. Show garyujohn's posts

My position is: Keep our young pitchers at all cost. Try to get Mike for 3 yrs @ 14M/per....Let him hear offers from other teams, but have him promise to get back to the Red Sox before signing. Tweek the offer, such as a "no trade" clause to get him. If it fails, so be it! However, do not sign A-Rod as he'll be a cancer for yrs to come. Players compare Contracts and jealousy comes into play. Red Sox have the flexibilty to move Youk and get another hitter that can play first. We have many young players at the double A or triple A levels who could be groomed for the big club such as Lowrey.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from billers9971. Show billers9971's posts

I forsee it this way. Lowell's agents are telling him he could get 13-15 million per for 4 years guaranteed. Sox offer 3 years and 12 million per for 3 years guaranteed. Lowell is willing to give a hometown discount of 12 million per because he wants to stay in Boston but really wants 4 years guaranteed. Theo goes back with 12 million per plus some incentives (i.e. innings played, avg., rbi, etc.) to get it to a potential 13 million per. If he does is it 2 out of 3 years he gets vested for a 4th guaranteed year. Or if he doesn't do it 2 out of 3 for a vestment Sox have an option for the 4th year. My gut tells me he is going to sign. I don't know but it seems that when guys get to this organization they don't want to leave. Look at Schilling, Mirabelli, Kapler. These guys have found a great organization and know it. As long as they don't have an agent pushing them (read Boris) make concessions. This isn't the 25 cabs Red Sox I grew up with, that is for sure.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from joylaw. Show joylaw's posts

Mike Lowell had a fantastic contract year, as he did just before the Marlins signed him to an attractive contract. His production declined to the point that the Marlins wanted to unload him, which is what they do, but no one would take him. The Marlins succeeded in trading Lowell because they tied him to Beckett, otherwise he would never have gotten out of South Florida. The point is that Lowell's attractiveness to the Red Sox should involve an evaluation of more than just last year. There are other hitters out there that could fill the spot. That said, the Red Sox should attempt to resign him as they are doing but they should not give away the store. They can always more Youkils back to third, give Carter (obtained for Pena) a try at first and/or go get a first baseman.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PreviousDem. Show PreviousDem's posts

Not overpaid for a player? How about JD Drew, Julio Lugo, or Edgar Renteria ? If Drew is worth $14 million, what is Lowell worth?
    The only thing more ridiculous is even thinking about a certain former Yankee. Four years of Lowell (who is less than 2 years older than A Rod) is a hell of a lot better than 8 years of A Rod at over twice the price per year.