1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Mike Lowell: updates, negotiations, etc.

The implication is that Lowell wants a fourth year that the Red Sox are not offering.

I would, were I Lowell, be looking for the best deal out there too-and not have any preconceptions about what that deal may be-three for four years for whatever money may materialize. HE is in the drivers seat. He may not have anything in particular in mind, just waiting for the offers to come in and see what develops. I would not be in any rush, and I would not let anyone rush me into a premature and potentially costly decision. Unfortunately, there is no longer "loyalty" in the game, with rare exceptions (like Schilling saying that he would not play for the Yankees). Lowell did well here, and I still think he will be resigned. On the other hand, I can't say that I could blame Theo for not offering a fourth year guaranteed. If he leaves, well, best of luck to him. I hope he stays, but if he doesn't we will need to find an alternative.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

They gave four year deals to Julio Lugo and Edgar Renteria. A five year deal was given to JD Drew. A freaking six year deal was given to Dice K, even though he had never even pitched in the majors

How old will the other guys be at the end of their deals? They would ALL be younger than Lowell. I believe Lowell would be 38. That is the difference.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfc. Show soxfc's posts

I agree. It's crazy - we need to sign him. It's good business and -something that's important to Red Sox fans - it's the right thing to do.

Call me sentimental; I've been called worse.

Theo: Get it done.

Mikey: Don't leave us!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from walterjohnson07. Show walterjohnson07's posts

A. Jones had an ugly year at the plate and would be expensive. Good point though about Ellsbury's tendency to get hurt given his playing style; but I think we can cover with a bench player if Coco gets traded.

If Lowell does indeed walk to NY, I would have a very hard time condemning him like I have Smarmy Johnny. Mike is an entirely different type of person (at least his public persona is much different) and did not willingly and openly make himself an icon of one of the most historic of RS teams before bolting. While I relish every failure Smarmy Johnny makes (and there were many last season), I'll be a passive Lowell fan if he's in pinstripes in 2008.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from woobie2. Show woobie2's posts

Eloquently stated fred. I too was blown away by Pedro, even when he failed on a few occasions to come up big (e.g. Yankee series) but I loved him here. But he turned into a different player when he was upstaged by Schilling in 2004 and for that, my respect for him diminished.

Pedro was never content to be a great pitcher on this team.... he had to be the GREATEST pitcher on this team and his definition of greatest so often tied in with the money and the adulation. I saw a very immature player when Schilling was given his place in 2004 (rightfully) and it will be too bad if the scenerio is repeated next year with the Mets. But you're right... it's their problem now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from woobie2. Show woobie2's posts

Don't ever feel the need to praise Curt with me fred. He is top shelf in my book and I wish we had 24 like him. Around here (boston) he is criticized routinely for his out-spokenness/politics but I choose to see the man that is the heart and soul of this team - the antithesis of the "me" guy. I am honored that he chose to end his career here as he wished and that money was not his #1 consideration. Not many, especially our friend on the Mets, can say that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bksmooth. Show bksmooth's posts

I feel very strongly about the Red Sox signing Mike Lowell. They need to do what the fans ask in this case hence signing Mike Lowell, and Curt Schilling.

This way when they inevitably go after A-Rod at Shortstop they will be able to justify every conceavible backlash from the fans.

The Red Sox brass know all to well that the "Red Sox Nation" marketing gimic doesn't work if the fans don't support it.

So when they make a move to sign A-Rod, and people complain they'll be able to say. "What? we signed Mike Lowell, we signed Curt Schilling. We did what you asked, now we need to do what we think will help us win."

Besides, Lowell, being a great defensive 3rd basement. Giving him a contract for three years gives them flexibility to then move A-Rod at 35 years old to 3rd and also give him time to DH.

Win Win all around. Don't think for a second they won't sign Arod right away if they get Lowell to commit to the contract today.

I hope Lugo enjoys Cincinnati.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from diehardincali. Show diehardincali's posts

That would be great but 3 will not get Lowell to sign. The Yankees or some other desperate team will offer 4 or 5 at a rate we just will not go to. I would love to get Lowell at 3 and then tie up Arod for 7 with a 3 year option tacked on to that but I just do not see Lowell agreeing to 3 before the clock strikes midnight- it just would not make sense for him when he can get more on the open market. I will not be that upset if our FO replaces him with Arod..the new Big 3 for the Sox is approaching fast

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Danhedonia

Then think about what extra weight has meant for power hitters. Then come back and point out for me which of the fat power hitters went on to hit with any meaningful consistency past the age of 30.

A couple of no names like David Ortiz and Babe Ruth come to mind.

This is to inform you that your post has been selected as a final qualifier for

" THE LONGEST LEAST FACTUAL TOTALLY SPECULATIVE POST OF THE OFF SEASON "

Good Luck

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from walterjohnson07. Show walterjohnson07's posts

I may be naive, but no way does Mike sign the Sox offer by midnight tonight - why should he? What he'll have is an offer on paper to show to other teams, including NY of course. He would be foolish not to test the market, even if he wants to return to Boston badly. With other offers he can come back to Theo and ask the FO what more they're willing to do.

I think 3 years $45 mill is as high as the RS should go. If that's not enough, then Mike should walk, even if it is to the Bronx. We "survived" Smarmy Johnny's departure, and we would certainly do the same if Mike leaves. The only difference for me is I would respect Mike.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

Why Trade Manny he had a off year and still one of the best hitters in the game. Ortiz needs Manny behind him. This is why we are here Many and Ortiz in the heart of the line up I wait till 2009 before even thinking of moving Manny.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Ortiz and Ruth were both useless in the field after 30. Papi had knee problems last year despite barely playing the field and not having to run much (note the walks and home runs). Do you think Papi is helping hismself with his weight? If he lost 20 pounds he could play the field regularly and prolong his career by 2-3 years. Cabrera should take note.

Let's see he's "24" so we get 6 years before he is 30 then we get " stuck "with Papi and Ruth numbers for another few years.

Look at the seasons Papi and Ruth put up at 30 years old . Your weight crazy ....

6'4" at 250 Big Bat Big Boy..... and is projected to hit MORE HR than any player in BB in the next ten years.

I would give this kid ten years in a heartbeat

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Weight is not a reason to pass on this kind of hitting talent. It is simply a matter of a clause in a contract. He is BY FAR the best young bat in the game. Papi has maybe 3 years at this level Manny 2, Cabrera has 8 minimum and it's not his glove that we will be relying on . When Manny and Papi are done this kid will be ' 27 ' and will bat 4th, old school dynasties are built in this type of acquisition.

What will we have to give up is the real question.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Cabrerra is hardly a proven all star of the future

Silly statement, look at his stats.

He will play 1st not 3rd Youk goes to 3rd . And he puts up ARod numbers. Papi cannot play 1st as a full time player . The rest of your post is absurd

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgaulorr. Show jgaulorr's posts

Just get it done. Don't mess around and flirt with A-Rod. Sign the guy who has the most perfect Fenway swing since Rico, plays tremendous 3rd base, is an RBI machine and is great in the clubhouse as a teammate.

Just get it done and let's go into 2008 with another juggernaught.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Sign him ? Sure . HOW MUCH ?? 3@ 45 I think That's Theos threshold. After that we have a new set of questions.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

If we trade for Cabrera than we're going to lose a lot of the prospects that have given us hope that we will be in contention for years to come.

When you say prospects you are referring to YOUTH ...... Cabrera is ' 24 '

He might be the next Papi/Manny which is coming to an end in 09

I hope we sign Lowell but I am not worried about the future of The Sox if we don't, we have plenty of options.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

I'm arguing that giving up Buchholz, Ellsbury and Lester for him would be very foolish. Cabrera is not in the conversation, IMO,

Who mentioned those THREE players ???? You just made it up. Explain yourself and try to be responsible in your replies . This was total speculation and certainly not argued by me.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

3 @ 45 or 4 @ 50 That's the number I think they have in mind for Mike. We have great youth, the best in the game BUT we don't have young power so if Lowell walks away from 50 mil then the time is right to nail down Cabrera. Start out offering three from Moss, Crisp, Hansen, Manny D. draft picks and money and see what happens. Ells and Buch will be what they want but who knows what Theo can pull off ?? This may be the next BIG debate on the board.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from woobie2. Show woobie2's posts

Don't change the infield! By moving Youk to third (which is kind of unfair since he just won a gold glove at first) and getting a new first baseman (someone with Lowell's stats will cost just as much as that , if not more), the infielders will have a lot work getting as comfortable as they are now. Give Lowell what he wants.... if's it a few mill more, so what? You've got at least three rookies starting next year - that's like saving a paycheck for each of them. And almost all players now (Drew, Lugo, Damon) are demanding 4 years - why not the consummate professional like Lowell?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

I think the Red Sox are going to make it 3 years 48 Mil I dont see the yankees making a 4 year offer. The yanks are in the position they are in because the signed so many vets to long term contracts. I think the Yanks are going to be more practical than people think. I am a sox fan but Cash is not going to follow the company line on vets any more. I see the yank moviing in the same direction as the sox.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

You're only going to be debating this with 2 or 3 other posters who have no grip on reality. No Buchholz and Ellsbury=No Cabrera.

I said that they will ask for Ells and or Buch but that is not where it will start. We have more young talent than most teams and we have more money than most teams he!! we could throw in Crisp AND pay his salary. Cabrera is worth Ells or Buch but not both. Start looking at the 09 - 2014 Sox and maybe my posts won't be so far over your head .

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Texas Pat ,

The team needs to get younger...and to find a good young power hitter. Manny and Big Papi can't go on forever.

You are so right . What has set the Sox apart from most teams in the last few years is the Papi Manny combo, when it slipped a bit in 07 NY made thier charge at the division, when it clicked in the Playoffs we won 7 straight. This Combo has at the most 2 years of dominance left. If Lowell walks, and I hope he stays, Acquiring Cabrera for 1st fills a lot of future holes and gives us a better 3-4-5 then in 07. We tend to take Manny and Papi for granted but The Sox would be the LAA without them. It is essential that the replacement for those to be planned the sooner the better.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Walshy

is the day I'll kiss your a** until it barks like a dog

Thats not really an expression , It's a couple of old sayings that you have covaluted.

Do you honestly think anyway that we'll be in better shape in 2009-2014 by trading Buchholz, Moss, MDC, Coco and draft picks for one player??

Actually I said three of the above and If that player turns out to be the next Manny or Arod " ABSOLUTLY"

The Marlins, according to almost all sources, want Hughes and Melky Cabrera from the Yankees, Buchholz and Ellsbury from us. It's not either Buchholz or Ellsury....it's Buchholz and Ellsbury, and it's a firm demand according to most.

All negotiations START that way, ask for the moon. After this season FLA will be backed into a corner with Cabrera, they are running out of time . You seem to think this is a one way street. If Theo and Co decide to grab their power bat of the future now , Lowell leaving will be the catalyst and may look genius in 2011.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Hey Fred,

I'm not sure why you are so sure that Lowell goes to NY ?? If you are correct, I say go for the kid, stay young , make the move for Cabrera , let Theo do his thing with Fla . Whatever we give up we will be getting a 24 year old back. I don't think Lowell will ever have a season away from Fenway that he had in 07. ARod will be successful in Boston but he will tie our hands in 2010 and beyond. If we end up with ARod .. fine Lowell ... fine BUT Cabrera, wow, thats the future.

Sections
Shortcuts